• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

amageish

Smash Master
Chironnupu

Also, the premium edition is currently in stock in the UK on Amazon, so if you live here and want it, now's your chance. (I finally managed to get one).
Such a cute little doggo... Hopefully the pivot doesn't mean these are all the SJ/IVA demons getting adapted into 3D

And woah! That is exciting and I'm glad there are still stock of it going up in places...

Also, in generic SEGA news, Jet Set Radio's Beat is coming to Super Monkey Ball and apparently that game is randomly going to be a SEGA crossover in parts. This has led to discussion of putting Demi-fiend into a monkey ball and that premise is greatly amusing to me.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Shiisaa

We're already at #50 huh. The game's finally nearly here, after years of waiting (slightly less for me since I got into the series after its reveal, but still).

Shiisaa's definitely cool, but not one of my favourites.

(Also, technically I'm a bit late, since the trailer was released yesterday in my time zone, but I only just noticed that nobody else uploaded it yet. It doesn't matter though).

On a different note, I am feeling pretty good about an SMT rep's chances. It's still not a guarantee, but they definitely have a good shot this time. Even if they don't, which is very likely considering how many other options there are, I won't care since there's a new game this year anyway.

amageish

Smash Master
On a different note, I am feeling pretty good about an SMT rep's chances. It's still not a guarantee, but they definitely have a good shot this time. Even if they don't, which is very likely considering how many other options there are, I won't care since there's a new game this year anyway.
Yeah, totally valid. I at least feel confidant in SMT content, if not a character...

I also have begun to notice people getting pre-emptively angry at the idea of a SMT rep in general and the SMTV protagonist in particular. The weirdest thing being that I am seeing several people discuss the SMTV protoagonist with the sorts of gendered dismissals that are primarily given towards female characters - the idea that Sakurai would only choose this character if he is romantically attracted to them, that they're fetish-bait, etc. Which makes me wonder if a lot of angry people just... don't realize the SMTV protagonist's gender.

This is my biggest hope for Shin Megami Tensei V...
I will forever wait until his video comes...
I would really love to see the Ripper return as well. I believe he got a 3D design in Dx2, so it's not impossible?

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Yeah, totally valid. I at least feel confidant in SMT content, if not a character...

I also have begun to notice people getting pre-emptively angry at the idea of a SMT rep in general and the SMTV protagonist in particular. The weirdest thing being that I am seeing several people discuss the SMTV protoagonist with the sorts of gendered dismissals that are primarily given towards female characters - the idea that Sakurai would only choose this character if he is romantically attracted to them, that they're fetish-bait, etc. Which makes me wonder if a lot of angry people just... don't realize the SMTV protagonist's gender.

I would really love to see the Ripper return as well. I believe he got a 3D design in Dx2, so it's not impossible?
The 3D design was cool, but I’d like to see it get polished up for SMT V (Assuming Jack Ripper comes back).

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
that sounds like some rather unfortunate misogyny I've come to expect from the average gamer, even if's wrongly placed given the gender of the protagonist lol.
Anyhow, still hoping for Samael to pop up in one of these daily reveal demons.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I’m pretty chaotic, but personally I don’t want to see the collective meltdown when people see another anime laser-sword bearing (everyone will say it functions the same as mythra) character, no offense. I just…. don’t. I appreciate collective celebration. I’ll admit the possibility of the stars aligning and it seems like there’s people out there REALLY pushing for it to be true… but aaaaaghh I just really am not about it and don’t think it would go over well in the states at all.

really haven’t seen any misplaced gendered hatred but I guess I wouldn’t doubt it either.

do Jack Frost.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I’m pretty chaotic, but personally I don’t want to see the collective meltdown when people see another anime laser-sword bearing (everyone will say it functions the same as mythra) character, no offense. I just…. don’t. I appreciate collective celebration. I’ll admit the possibility of the stars aligning and it seems like there’s people out there REALLY pushing for it to be true… but aaaaaghh I just really am not about it and don’t think it would go over well in the states at all.

really haven’t seen any misplaced gendered hatred but I guess I wouldn’t doubt it either.

do Jack Frost.
Jack Frost really wouldn't represent SMT well. Like, at all.

Demi-Fiend would, and people wouldn't get annoyed, although the technically does have a sword for some attacks.

I don't care either way though, if people get annoyed at the character, it doesn't affect me. I'll just be happy.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
meh, people will complain unless it's their very specific wishlist character. It can't be an anime swordfighter, it can't be a fighting game character, it can't be an edgy character, it can't be an anime styled character even if it doesn't have a sword because that style is overrepresented/doesn't fist Smash (which I say wut when Link has been since the beginning), etc.
I dunno how likely we are to get the SMTV protagonist as the last DLC character, I'm not a fan of promotional characters myself, but it's honestly not my problem if their addition doesn't fit whatever agenda the louder part that bothers to post on the internet has, and it's not like that would satisfy everyone anyhow.
But, even if SMT is limited to just a spirit event, I'm just happy that SMT5 isn't mere vaporware anymore, that alone is enough to be content about.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Jack Frost would be a fine SMT rep if this was, like, Melee, but nowadays characters really try to play up the "This character feels like you're playing their original game!" vibe, which Frost wouldn't really be able to do all on his lonesome... Obviously he should turn up in the kit though, probably making it onto the banner as well as if a SMT protagonist gets in.

And, yeah, there isn't an option for a final character that won't piss people off. It's the final character; they're guaranteed to have a negative reception as there is more then 1 fanbase with people actively discussing how angry they'll be if they aren't the final character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah, here's Daily Demon 51:
Followed by Doi's Commentary on Daemon.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Basilisk

Pixie's next. I assumed she'd already had one, but apparently not. She'll probably have a unique skill considering her popularity.

Also, every time I see the game I get more impressed by its graphics. It doesn't look like a switch game to me, and I can guarantee that when I'm playing it I'll constantly be stopping to look at the environments and stuff.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah they definitely did a very good job with how the game looks, considering it's a Switch exclusive and all. And performance wise so far it seems very stable so far, not perfect but still quite good in that regard.

About the demon showcase Basilisk looks nice, and I'm surprised Pixie wasn't revealed during the early videos to be honest.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah they definitely did a very good job with how the game looks, considering it's a Switch exclusive and all. And performance wise so far it seems very stable so far, not perfect but still quite good in that regard.

About the demon showcase Basilisk looks nice, and I'm surprised Pixie wasn't revealed during the early videos to be honest.
I had to go back to check the earliest videos after the silhouette showed up, because I was certain she'd had one. I wonder if there's a reason they waited to show her.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I had to go back to check the earliest videos after the silhouette showed up, because I was certain she'd had one. I wonder if there's a reason they waited to show her.
I don't think so... specially when she was seen at the E3 trailer so it's not like they've been hiding her all this time.

I guess they didn't wanted to show all the early demons at once so they decided to spread them out.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Pixie

She looks exactly how you'd expect, so no surprises here. Next up is Melchizedek, who's always been a favourite of mine.
I think this is the first mainline SMT appearance for Melchizedek. Maybe I'm wrong though. Cool to see him here.

And yeah Pixie looks like, well, Pixie. I wouldn't be surprised if the demon negotiation tutorial is with her.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think this is the first mainline SMT appearance for Melchizedek. Maybe I'm wrong though. Cool to see him here.

And yeah Pixie looks like, well, Pixie. I wouldn't be surprised if the demon negotiation tutorial is with her.
Yeah, this is his first mainline appearance.

That would make sense, unless she just joins you as part of the story like on Nocturne. I could also see Amanozako taking that role, since Doi said she was going to have a similar role to Pixie in Nocturne.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, this is his first mainline appearance.

That would make sense, unless she just joins you as part of the story like on Nocturne. I could also see Amanozako taking that role, since Doi said she was going to have a similar role to Pixie in Nocturne.
I thought about that but I recently rewatched Amanozako's showcase, and I doubt she's an early game demon because the battle part of her showcase had her inflicting like 250 of damage against a Koumokuten.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
IT'S YA BOI: DOI FROST!

amageish

Smash Master
IT'S YA BOI: DOI FROST!
"I wonder if we'll get any unique Jack designs for SMTV..."

they changed the trimming on his hat
"Well. Not exactly what I meant, but still cute!"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So soon? I thought the next thing would be in late August. At least that's what they said last time.

But hey, cool. I feel like the new trailer will focus on the humanoid demons that appear in the box art, with some new gameplay and maybe a few new demons.

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
So soon? I thought the next thing would be in late August. At least that's what they said last time.

But hey, cool. I feel like the new trailer will focus on the humanoid demons that appear in the box art, with some new gameplay and maybe a few new demons.
That’s when the new “news” video comes out.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
IGN has already uploaded the new trailer.

Trailer is ****ing amazing. Kinda spoilery I feel, after this one maybe I won't watch the next story trailers.

Video also shows some new returning demons from previous games and a few new ones (or maybe the latter are returning ones as well and I didn't know about them).

amageish

Smash Master
IGN has already uploaded the new trailer.

Trailer is ****ing amazing. Kinda spoilery I feel, after this one maybe I won't watch the next story trailers.

Video also shows some new returning demons from previous games and a few new ones (or maybe the latter are returning ones as well and I didn't know about them).
Very good trailer, but yeah. Heavy on the spoilers for sure.

So, is the person talking about forbidden fruit yet another Lilith re-design? They really like that demon, huh...

I guess we also know that Nabihino is a title multiple people can hold, with the physic woman potentially becoming one. as well as our protagonist. I wonder if supporting her in that decision will be the first major route split moment? Assuming the deaths in the opening are inevitable...

amageish

Smash Master
Trailer was deleted lol
IGN made an oops! ATLUS won't be happy with them for a while I guess...

If Isonokami does become a Nabihino, I kind of hope she gets a unique design that is super masculine to contrast the protagonist with his somewhat feminine design. Like, she gets short fireyy hair.

Top Bottom