• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, now finished watching the actual video.

Still love the moveset! This method of representing the Press Turn system is great and I generally really like Demifiend having some unique buff attacks, given how SMT is one of the few RPGs to have buffs actually feel necessary to progress when playing normally lol. It's also great to cover Pixie and the Jack Bros who at least get to, you know, appear relatively often.

Still surprised Jack Skelton/the Ripper didn't get to even be in 3D until the mobile game... Hopefully he appears in SMTV!

The music selection/variety is great! It's good to get picks from all over the franchise.

Rosalina as a God in the classic mode is amazing. Potentially cheating, but, like, she is pragmatically a God and I appreciate it.

The spirit list is a good collection. The Ice Climbers breathing fire as the Jack Bros is great. I also like the general variety of cultures represented in the Demon half of the spirit list.

You also just have a very dry sense of humour that worked really well, with comments about the shocking inclusion of actual mechanics from the game as a fighter gimmick and the fact the stage being proposed would be banned from competitive instantly lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm enjoying Nocturne HD so far; I'm about two hours into it. Some story elements have caught me off-guard (though maybe that's because I'm not familiar with the series - several late-game twists in Persona 5 were completely unexpected for me, whereas if I had played Persona 3 or 4 beforehand, they would have been more obvious), though the first boss (Forneus) was easier than I was expecting. (the story seemed to be building up to him being a huge threat, but his weakness was pretty easily accessible)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm enjoying Nocturne HD so far; I'm about two hours into it. Some story elements have caught me off-guard (though maybe that's because I'm not familiar with the series - several late-game twists in Persona 5 were completely unexpected for me, whereas if I had played Persona 3 or 4 beforehand, they would have been more obvious), though the first boss (Forneus) was easier than I was expecting. (the story seemed to be building up to him being a huge threat, but his weakness was pretty easily accessible)
Yeah, the first boss isn't really a threat, and the game basically guarantees the game has the element he's weak against so that helps too.

I'd advice saving regularly because you never know if a random encounter leads to an enemy ambush, which is dangerous, specially if you're not fully healed.

amageish

Smash Master

This week's event is a tournament for games having 25th anniversaries this year. If they keep the usual event-tournament alteration, then we only have one more week with an event before E3! So, hey, it's more likely for us to be deconfirmed via not being one of the final 2 characters announced at E3 then it is for us to be the event next week... probably.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Nocturne HD, and the game looks far better than I was expecting on a modern TV. Although, I'm pretty sure that's got more to do with Kaneko's style than the work done for the remaster. It's nice finally officially having chronicles as well.

Weirdly, I'm finding the game far easier than I remember it being. I'm not sure if I'm just better at the game than I used to be, or if the difficulty's been nerfed. Still just as fun as I remember though.

I've been thinking though, if the Demi-Fiend got into smash, would he have his Kaneko design, the redesign from IVA or a completely new design? Obviously his Kaneko design is the most iconic, but it's so different from everything else in smash it might not fit.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Smash Ultimate actually seems to be trying to go with original appearances. This is most evident in the Final Fantasy VII characters, but you can also see it in Young Link, who resembles his original Ocarina artwork more than Ocarina 3D.

OH, and I forgot to post the clean base Demi-fiend stock icons. Here:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I encountered the Matador for the first time, and predictably, I got my ass kicked. I feel like there's three things that I need to do:

1) find someone that can learn Media - all of my healing spells are single target, so if he uses his wind spell twice, that drains half of my party's HP and I can't restore it fast enough

2) find someone that can learn single-target debuff spells (if those even exist in this game) - all of my debuff spells target the entire enemy party, so they eat through my MP like crazy

3) if possible, find a demon who's immune to force/wind, or heals from it, or is at least resistant to it

I'm not even sure if any of those are possible at the point that I'm at in the game.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
You're definitely in the right mindset for the game. It's all about covering your bases. Usually you don't need to grind but it can be helpful if a useful demon is just out of level range.

If you're really struggling, the easiest way out is usually fusing an Ame-no-uzume at level 18, since she has Media and nulls wind. Nozuchi can be gotten a bit earlier and drains wind.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Most if not all of buff/debuff spells are always applied to the entire party.

There's also another thing that could help you a lot
IIRC in the shop near the area you can buy a magatama for Demi-fiend, which nulls or drains wind attacks

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I encountered the Matador for the first time, and predictably, I got my ass kicked. I feel like there's three things that I need to do:

1) find someone that can learn Media - all of my healing spells are single target, so if he uses his wind spell twice, that drains half of my party's HP and I can't restore it fast enough

2) find someone that can learn single-target debuff spells (if those even exist in this game) - all of my debuff spells target the entire enemy party, so they eat through my MP like crazy

3) if possible, find a demon who's immune to force/wind, or heals from it, or is at least resistant to it

I'm not even sure if any of those are possible at the point that I'm at in the game.
Fuse Pixie and Angel and you'll get a demon that does 1 and 3. You need to be level 18 though.

I maxed into str so I uh punched him so hard that he died in three turns. Yeah.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat Matador - if anything, I think I might have overprepared. (Even after his taunt decreased my defense, his attacks didn't do a ton of damage to the two party members who didn't automatically block him) At least I'm past that roadblock.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Weirdly, I'm finding the game far easier than I remember it being. I'm not sure if I'm just better at the game than I used to be, or if the difficulty's been nerfed. Still just as fun as I remember though.
Well, this changed. I beat Matador on my first attempt, but only just. Every demon died, and the Demi-Fiend was left with 30hp.

isnt Demi-fiend a bit too late to be picked for smash?
I'm assuming you're meaning he's only become relevant again recently. Even if that's the case, he's a fan-favourite, and appeared in IVA's dlc. It's a similar situation to Cloud, except SMT's far smaller.

amageish

Smash Master
Sonic in SMT Dx2

...no further comment
If we fuse Sonic with Black Frost, do we get Shadow? If we fuse him with [implied Sonic and Strange Journey Redux spoilers] Alex, do we get Silver?

These are important lore questions. I expect answers, Sega!

I'm assuming you're meaning he's only become relevant again recently. Even if that's the case, he's a fan-favourite, and appeared in IVA's dlc. It's a similar situation to Cloud, except SMT's far smaller.
I don't like comparing JRPG protagonists to Cloud out of principle, but Nocturne even shares the devs being wishy-washy and vague about a remake for years before it happened... even if Nocturne HD isn't really a remake, but whatever.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
while SMT is nowhere near FF level of success, I guess Demi Fiend is the closest thing the series has to a Cloud in terms of recognition (as far as main characters go of course, there's probably a good dozen of demons more recogizable thanks to Persona). At the least I'd say he's a likelier pick than the protagonists of 1, 2, 4 and 4A, let alone stuff like DDS and DeSu, although there might bean argument to be made about Raidou, and there's always the promotional character idea with SMTV having a release window this year.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I still think a Demi-Fiend/SMTV Protag mix is possible. SMTV is taking a lot of cues from Nocturne - it's possible the merge between V and the demonic figure in the newest trailer is SMTV's equivalent of magatama. They likely share enough abilities they can either perform all of each other's moves, or pull them off without them looking out of place like the DQ Heroes or Simon/Richter.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
while SMT is nowhere near FF level of success, I guess Demi Fiend is the closest thing the series has to a Cloud in terms of recognition (as far as main characters go of course, there's probably a good dozen of demons more recogizable thanks to Persona). At the least I'd say he's a likelier pick than the protagonists of 1, 2, 4 and 4A, let alone stuff like DDS and DeSu, although there might bean argument to be made about Raidou, and there's always the promotional character idea with SMTV having a release window this year.
Definitely. Although 3 flopped in Japan at first fun little fact. It sold well but Atlus' budget for it was greater than the sales. But Nocturne is like what I feel you think about when you think of SMT because of how unique it is. Also the first mainline to be released globally.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I still think a Demi-Fiend/SMTV Protag mix is possible. SMTV is taking a lot of cues from Nocturne - it's possible the merge between V and the demonic figure in the newest trailer is SMTV's equivalent of magatama. They likely share enough abilities they can either perform all of each other's moves, or pull them off without them looking out of place like the DQ Heroes or Simon/Richter.
I mean I remember when the trailer came out and people seemed to theorize that this game will have a similar approach to Nocturne, but instead of the MC being turned into a demon, the SMT V protag would be turned into a half angel. In the other words, the opposite of Demi-fiend.

I don't know if that theory is still a thing or not, but if that was the case I think it would be weird for both characters to share the same slot. Conceptually speaking they would be very different. And if the SMT V protag really ends being a half angel, I'd assume his abilities would be very different to Demi-fiend's.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I mean I remember when the trailer came out and people seemed to theorize that this game will have a similar approach to Nocturne, but instead of the MC being turned into a demon, the SMT V protag would be turned into a half angel. In the other words, the opposite of Demi-fiend.

I don't know if that theory is still a thing or not, but if that was the case I think it would be weird for both characters to share the same slot. Conceptually speaking they would be very different. And if the SMT V protag really ends being a half angel, I'd assume his abilities would be very different to Demi-fiend's.
It would still probably work, but their exclusive abilities wouldn't make it, it would just use generic elemental spells and demon summons. I don't know what the final smash would be, my main idea is a recreation of the true demon ending, where the Demi-Fiend is backed by a load of demons. I guess the V protag could have that but with law demons and angels?

amageish

Smash Master

I mean, it's not like we've gotten any newer trailers to counter that theory thus far! Heh... I made myself sad...

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I haven't been around SB for a long time but seeing an SMT thread and all of this Demi-fiend support is absolutely wonderful!

He's the dream fighter I've been wanting for forever now and I'm clinging onto whatever chances SMT has to receive a rep heh... June 15th is right around the corner so we'll see real soon, and if he doesn't get in, there's SMT V news to look forward to (hopefully lmao)!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright big news, Megaten fans!

Do not click if you want to approach Shin Megami Tensei V completely blind:
People who played SMT3 Nocturne:
hey ive seen this one what do you mean youve seen it.png

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I generally trust PersonaCentral; I doubt they'd tank themselves by making up a story like this...

No shock it's another protagonist/demon fusion protagonist, but exciting to have it confirmed.

I'm mostly just curious about the world and the directions the routes will go... But, hey, over 200 demons is neat! Hopefully they bring over some demons given 3D forms for the first time in Dx2 too.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
From the way Da'ath is described, it sounds like they might get rid of the classic map style they've used up until now, and do a 3d open world like they wanted to do in Nocturne. Other than that, it does basically sound like Nocturne 2, which is fine. I hope we can find out who's doing the music, although all of ATLUS' composers are good, so it doesn't really matter.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
barely scraping that 2021 release window I see Atlus.
Is that the standard price for a new game in Japan?

Top Bottom