• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So I’m one of those guys who never played any Atlus games until Persona 5. I played it, loved it, and proceeded to grind through any Persona games I could get my hands on. After playing and enjoying P3, P4, PQ, PQ2, and P4A I decided that maybe I should try out this “Megaten” thing that I keep hearing about.

I got a copy of Nocturne for the PS2 and...would you look at that, turns out SMT is ****ing rad! I’d love to be added to the compendium Idon Idon . Having Demi-fiend in Smash would be fantastic.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I finally beat SMT4A after about 55 hours, great game, though the final act drags on way too long, especially as YHVH's Universe can eat my ass, what an unfun final dungeon. At least the fight itself was pretty damn cool
Yeah, YHVH's universe is uh...
ass.

But hey, hopefully with the amount of flack Atlus have received for it, maybe SMTV's final dungeon will be a bit more tolerable.

amageish

Smash Master
I finally beat SMT4A after about 55 hours, great game, though the final act drags on way too long, especially as YHVH's Universe can eat my ass, what an unfun final dungeon. At least the fight itself was pretty damn cool
I feel like ATLUS has a serious problem with "This final bossfight is fantastic; the dungeon leading into it was torturous" in general... SMTIVA is definitely one of the most 😐 of them though.

That said, I am glad you enjoyed the game overall!

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Hey, I'm working on an SMT All Content (the series we do at Source Gaming where we make a hypothetical list of stuff a series could have in DLC) but I'm having a hard time deciding the Legend Support spirit. Right now I have demons from the Nocturne Remaster and Strange Journey popularity polls as the primary spirits, and numbered protagonists as the support spirits. Currently I'm having a debate between:
  • YHVH (which is kinda ehhhh because I don't know if Nintendo would want you killing and acquiring God in this)
  • Stephen (which would honestly be pretty out there, even if he's the most powerful figure in the series, and it might be in poor taste given his real-life counterpart's passing)
What do you think? Do you have any other ideas? I should note, Lucifer and Mastema are there as Chaos and Law representatives, so not either of them.

amageish

Smash Master

So, everyone... Which Jack is the best Jack?

Personally, while Blue Hawaii Frost is definitely the funniest Jack to me just because of the specifity of making a particular cocktail into a Jack demon, I think I gotta go with King Frost. I like both the older and newer design of King Frost; just a super cute and often relatively-useful character.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Personally, while Blue Hawaii Frost is definitely the funniest Jack to me just because of the specifity of making a particular cocktail into a Jack demon, I think I gotta go with King Frost. I like both the older and newer design of King Frost; just a super cute and often relatively-useful character.
The one that's technically a Fire Emblem character via TMS.

If that doesn't count, the one from Jack Bros. He's technically a Messiah, according to Megami Tensai Wiki.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

Definitely Black Frost. Although it's hard to beat the original. Hee Ho!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

I don’t know if he’s technically a “Jack,” but I love Black Frost. I used him throughout my entire P3P playthrough for no reason other than “he looks cool.”

amageish

Smash Master
The one that's technically a Fire Emblem character via TMS.
You know, I only now realize that the joke of Hee-Ho Mart is probably meant to be combining the SMT and FE mascots together with the Jack Frost store being the one to have an all-Anna staff... I do like the Black Frost Anna though; it's fun to see FE fans be confused why she's punctuating all her sentences with "ho."

I don’t know if he’s technically a “Jack,” but I love Black Frost. I used him throughout my entire P3P playthrough for no reason other than “he looks cool.”
Black Frost is great. Cool design and a demon who usually has something interesting about him in every game, from his role as a Nocturne boss to him being a Devil Survivor party leader to him being a special fusion in almost all his appearances, if not all of them. Just a great demon.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I beat Persona 4 Golden on Steam and after briefly perusing the available mods (spoilers: they're bad except maybe this one and this one if you really must do the new content) I've started thinking about the potential of Nocturne HD mods. Hopefully people find a way to implement new demons; I'd love to see Golden's compendium of models put to use. Both games use low poly PS2 models with altered textures so they shouldn't be too jarring either, might need a desaturation first. I'd love to see enough new additions that you could implement a roster randomizer and replay the game without seeing the same faces over and over. I do like Nocturne but between the Maniax additions being optional content and the default compendium being split between sacrifical fusions and evolutions it really does feel sparse.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
biggest advice I can think of is to not get rid of the Pixie that joins your party at the hospital. You can fuse her, just don't kick her out of your party if you're low on slots. Buying every magatama you see at stores doesn't hurt either, you never know when their set of resistance in particular might be essential for a boss fight.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nocturne is punishing, but not necessarily hard. You gain turns for hitting weaknesses or critical hits and lose them for missing or having your attack nulled. So a single good or bad move on your end or the enemy's end can snowball. That said, if you lose, it's usually because of your team composition more than anything else. Don't be afraid of all the memes.

Other than that, you'll know a magatama (basically your armor that also dispenses new skills upon level up) has a new skill to teach you if the icon for it is moving a lot on the equip screen. You can only learn a skill once, so a bit of planning is recommended. Negotiation skills can be useful on your party member demons so try them out. The remaster adds a bunch of QoL for some features but other stuff is still cryptic.

Finally, forfeit all your material possessions to the Mothman

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Could you please elaborate on this point a little?
each magatama has a set of skills you can learn once and only once. Say, you learn anti-fire from a magatama, if you decide to overwrite that skill for another one, know that the demi-fiend has no means to relearn it afterwards. An unfortunate QoL that was skipped and from the looks of it wont be patched like skill inheritance.
Digital Devil Saga worked around this issue so I've no idea why they didn't fix it here.
Also as an additionall advice, stocking up smoke bombs and the item that helps avoid random encounters might not be a bad idea for when you want to get a move on (escapes aren't guaranteed nor you get a display for your escape chances).

amageish

Smash Master
So, hey, SMTV got to cameo in the Epic vs Apple lawsuit of all things, with an eternal document from Microsoft being leaked that predicted/assumed that it would launch sometime in 2020, alongside other non-2020 games like Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, No More Heroes 3, and New Pokemon Snap.

Now, this doesn't mean much of anything, as Microsoft analysts are just industry analysts like any other and are perfectly capable of being wrong (I mean, there's arguably merit in being actively pessimistic and planning around the assumption Nintendo will be having the best year possible), but hey! SMT is big enough that Microsoft is noting its existence in internal documents!

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
So, hey, SMTV got to cameo in the Epic vs Apple lawsuit of all things, with an eternal document from Microsoft being leaked that predicted/assumed that it would launch sometime in 2020, alongside other non-2020 games like Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, No More Heroes 3, and New Pokemon Snap.

Now, this doesn't mean much of anything, as Microsoft analysts are just industry analysts like any other and are perfectly capable of being wrong (I mean, there's arguably merit in being actively pessimistic and planning around the assumption Nintendo will be having the best year possible), but hey! SMT is big enough that Microsoft is noting its existence in internal documents!
Would make sense to note it, as Atlus hasn't released a game on an Xbox since Persona 4 Arena in 2012. Microsoft knows that they are missing out on anything Atlus releases, so they have to keep tabs on them to get a rough idea of what money Nintendo and Sony are getting.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Reviews are out for Nocturne's remaster and they seem... Pretty good! It's not exactly surprising what they contain - a lot of praise for the worldbuilding and philosophy, a lot of acknowledgement of the IP's role in games history, a lot of praise for the battle system, a lot of frustration with the extent that this game is a true "remaster" versus port, and a bit of annoyance about how you still really need a guide to figure out what to do sometimes ....

I do find it kind of funny how the numerical score a given critic decides to assign it seems to be dependent on how much they let asking price influence their review scores, as most seem a little bit underwhelmed by the changes relative to the asking price...

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Personally I think if Atlus had managed to save the original video files and the music then there would probably be no complaints about Nocturne HD (aside from the framerate issues, which have been fixed). Truthfully this is a far more extensive update than, for example, the Persona 4 Golden Steam Re-release, where the textures were just like, AI upscaled and thrown through a sharpening filter. A lot more work was done here, and I did not realize how low-res the original Nocturne was until now.

They also fixed his eyes not turning gold!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With Shin Megami Tensei 3 coming to the Switch in a few days, I wanted to use that as an opportunity to get into the series. Is there anything that I should know going into it? (I know that keeping the first monster you get on your party will eventually get you a level 80 version of it, and that the Matador boss is insanely tough, but that's about it)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
With Shin Megami Tensei 3 coming to the Switch in a few days, I wanted to use that as an opportunity to get into the series. Is there anything that I should know going into it? (I know that keeping the first monster you get on your party will eventually get you a level 80 version of it, and that the Matador boss is insanely tough, but that's about it)
I've only played the 4 duology but here's some general stuff.
USE. BUFFS. That's the single most important thing to learn in SMT, every stat can go to +3 or -3 and holy **** it can make a difference.

Outside of Pixie, you have no obligation to stay attatched to Demons, the game wants you to constantly fuse them when you're done learning skills, this is especially so since Nocturne HD added selectable skill inherenting.

And finally, the best combat system in a JRPG, Press Turn. By hitting a weakness or landing a critical hit, you'll only use half a turn, meaning you can have up to 8 turns before the enemy gets to attack. Mastering this is crucial to victory, but be warned, if you use an attack that doesn't work on an enemy (Null, Drain or Repel, resist doesn't matter) you lose a turn on top of not hurting the enemy as punishment. This means you should always try to have a diverse cast of demons when it comes to their skills, especially for this final point. The Press Turn system goes both ways as it applies to all the enemies too, take advantage of what skills they have to get a party that can waste their turns. Bosses should come after a save point in Nocturne so spend your first attempt throwing everything you have to learn it's weaknesses or resistances, after you die, bring a party of stat abusers and demons that can abuse the boss' weakness

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just want to pay my respects to Miura, author of Berserk, who passed away May 6.
Been a huge fan of him and his work and clearly so are the SMT people as they did a collaboration with him and paid their respects as well.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nocturne HD Remaster is out if you pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition.

Stage is all set for SMTV news at E3... hopefully?

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Oh boy, it's time for a content dump. Here's the new video:

And here's the concepts I came up with for moveset and aesthetics:

DEMI-FIEND SMASH CONTENT.

Art provided by SOBUNOAIYU.
Demi-fiend’s Neutral Special will be Focus. In the games, this move allows Demi-fiend to charge up his next physical attack to do 2.5 times its normal damage, and that’s exactly what it will do here. He cracks his knuckles and powers up his next attack.

Whenever Demi-fiend is buffed, there will be an Up Arrow on his UI to signal to other fighters that they should be wary of his next blow.
Demi-fiend’s Down Special follows this up with the inverse, War Cry, a move that decreases the enemy’s attack two-fold; to a fourth of what it should be. Demi-fiend will let out a guttural roar and anyone within its vicinity will have their power level drastically decreased for 10 seconds.

This will not affect their knockback potential, only lowering the percentage of damage they do. Just like with Focus, enemies stricken with this effect will have a Down Arrow on their UI.

This attack has no effect on already-debuffed opponents.
To balance out the usage of these moves, Demi-fiend will have Magatamas representing their remaining usages.

Each status move uses one icon, but they can be regained one-by-one through KO-ing opponents, and they refresh after being KO’d yourself. Additionally, any icons not used during a stock will carry over to the next, with a maximum of eight.
Carried-over stocks will be represented by a screaming Magatama, based on the variant of the Magatama briefly shown when using a strong attack in Nocturne, with a maximum of eight.

Using them will revert them to normal.
When Demi-fiend has no Press Turn icons, his specials change. This brings us into the next facet of Demi-Fiend’s moveset: demon summoning. Demi-fiend can summon demons and act independently from them after his summoning animation ends.
Demi-fiend’s Press Turn-less Neutral Special has him summon Pixie to perform Zio. It has very little impact and mostly functions as a tool to allow Demi-fiend to close the gap between him and his foe.
The corresponding Down Special has Cu Chulainn enter the battle, performing a Force maneuver through his lance to create a gust of air, blowing foes away. It can make for a funny edgeguarding tool, as well.
The remaining specials are the same regardless of Press Turn icons.
The Side Special is Jack Frost. Hee is summoned to let loose Bufu, a projectile ice attack that slides across the ground similar to the Ice Climbers’ Side Special, ho.

As an extra detail, Jack will ride on Demi-fiend’s shoulder while he is airborne, as you wouldn’t let your Hee Homeboy fall to their demise. Not alone, at least.
Jack-o’Lantern will carry Demi-fiend back to the stage before departing to the skies.

On the ground, he will instead use Agi behind Demi-fiend.
All four demon specials cover the basic elements in SMT.
Demi-fiend will have two Final Smashes, one for close distance and one for long distance. When Demi-fiend is up close and personal, he will unleash Gaea Rage, causing the earth to crack beneath him, magma erupting through them. This move will instantly KO any enemy at 100% damage or above.

When there is a sizeable gap between Demi-fiend and his foe, he will use Freikugel letting loose a massive beam from his corneas that covers the entire distance between him and the blast zone.

Final Smash art provided by SOBUNOAIYU.
The full moveset is already written out and planned, I just need to make the remaining graphics for it. If I end up doing a moveset video I'll have to draw a few more moves, so I might end up deciding against doing that because this was a real undertaking.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Oh boy, it's time for a content dump. Here's the new video:

And here's the concepts I came up with for moveset and aesthetics:
Holy moly; that's a lot of effort in the art and graphics for the kit already! I will watch the video shortly, but that's already a super cool kit and a really interesting way of representing the mechanics of Nocturne in Smash. 10/10; good job!

Top Bottom