• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The battle system is generally agreed to be the best thing about it and I agree. It's very satisfying stringing together longer and longer sessions as the game goes on.

I'd compare it to knowing about the various mythologies for SMT: You don't need it by any means, but it will make you go "Oh, I know that thing!" as reveals happen. The only especially relevant game is Shadow Dragon (Awakening characters appear, but they don't draw from Awakening for the narrative).

The map is somewhat more Persona-y, though it was released before Persona 5, so I don't think there was any direct influence there. The dungeons are all puzzle-centric and have overworld encounters in them.
I'll probably check it out then, since a good battle system was the main reason I was going to play it (along with the music).

Fortunately, FE 1 is the only one I know much about other than 3 houses, so not everything will go over my head (just most references).

It's a shame about the map, since exploration is quite a big part of SMT for me, but it isn't a deal breaker - I liked persona 5 and it had that kind of map.

Thanks.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Welp guess you guys won. Everything is lining up for an SMT character to be in Smash. The 3 Voice slots could easily go to the demons the protagonist summons. Congrats

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder what their logic behind showing off who comes next to be shown off is.

Like, the original bunch makes sense, they were in that promo art image

And now here's, well.... yeah, that guy.

Like, my fav demons have already been confirmed, I'm just anxious about their trailer lol.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
So far they're either new demons we already have the names of or demons appearing in 3D for the first time (in a while). Mandrake is the only real odd one out. Camael will probably be up soon, and we'll go through the "not in Nocturne" club with the likes of Tsuchigumo and Azumi.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Welp guess you guys won. Everything is lining up for an SMT character to be in Smash. The 3 Voice slots could easily go to the demons the protagonist summons. Congrats
I doubt voice slots mean anything, and even if they did, there are loads of characters that could use multiple voices.

Although I'd say we won anyway, not because of smash, but because SMT V is actually coming out, and we have a steady supply of trailers for the first time since it was revealed in 2017. A smash character would be amazing, but even if it doesn't happen, we got a nocturne remaster and a new game this year (and p5s and whatever anniversary stuff happens for persona) so I'd say megaten fans are doing pretty well right now no matter what.

I wonder what their logic behind showing off who comes next to be shown off is.

Like, the original bunch makes sense, they were in that promo art image

And now here's, well.... yeah, that guy.

Like, my fav demons have already been confirmed, I'm just anxious about their trailer lol.
To be fair, I'd rather see demons we haven't seen for ages than ones who are regularly used, even if it's just because they get a new render and model. (SMT IV demons fall into this category too since they only have artwork).

Speaking of which, using renders / new art for every demon is a good idea, since it makes the difference between Kaneko, Doi and any guest artists less noticeable since they're all in the same style (even if I miss Kaneko's style).

Shroob

Sup?
So considering this magazine scan I found, my guess is the next demon to be shown off after Ariochwill be Moloch, since they're the only 2 that haven't been shown off from it yet, and 1 is about to be.

I don't trust /V/ at all, but 'apparently' they said some bosses will roam the overworld, like Garuda and Abaddon?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
We've already seen a level 48 Ouyamatsumi in the Nintendo Treehouse footage and the website info that leaked before E3 made mention of "giant birds and demons as big as mountains", so the boss stuff is all but confirmed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Speaking of which, using renders / new art for every demon is a good idea, since it makes the difference between Kaneko, Doi and any guest artists less noticeable since they're all in the same style (even if I miss Kaneko's style).
It helps a lot that they aren't all using artwork because that artwork, aside from having different styles, was also in varying quality and shading. Older demon art was cel-shaded, they only switched to smooth shading with Soul Hackers. Also pretty much any artwork from before the PS2 era (and some even during) was not well-preserved.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
It helps a lot that they aren't all using artwork because that artwork, aside from having different styles, was also in varying quality and shading. Older demon art was cel-shaded, they only switched to smooth shading with Soul Hackers. Also pretty much any artwork from before the PS2 era (and some even during) was not well-preserved.
There was varying quality even in the same game, for example, literally any art from P2 IS, and zombie Maya. She even looks good in all of the promo art and special illustrations, it's just her main art that looks weird.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Daily Demon Display Day 9:
Haunt Kumbhamda
That instakill animation looks really cool.

Also, there was a scene where the protagonist was walking past the demons and they didn't respond again, like in the Jack Frost one. I wonder if that's a debug thing, or if something actually causes it in-game.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
There was varying quality even in the same game, for example, literally any art from P2 IS, and zombie Maya. She even looks good in all of the promo art and special illustrations, it's just her main art that looks weird.
Which main art? The Kaneko art? All of the portraits for Persona 2 (minus the PSP port of EP) were done by Soejima, so they feel very different. Not sure if he did or did not do the promo art, as I think that might have been Kaneko.

Also people have been comparing Aogami to Jetstream Sam from Metal Gear Rising so I figure any of you folks here who are fans of both would get a kick out of this.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that art of Maya always looked sorta strange. I think they didn't really get her hair looking quite right until Masayuki Doi did his redesign for EP PSP tbh.
View attachment 320578
Yeah, in lots of the art it just kind of looks like a solid block. In the Kaneko art she looks unnaturally skinny and pale, so I'm glad that was changed in literally every single piece of art afterwards.

Actually, if we get an SMT rep, would they use Kaneko art or Doi art for spirits when both exist? Like, would they use classic or SMT V pixie?

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Actually, if we get an SMT rep, would they use Kaneko art or Doi art for spirits when both exist? Like, would they use classic or SMT V pixie?
I'm not sure if Doi is redrawing every demon and it feels excessive if they're going to just use renders in-game. However, whatever demon he has redrawn (Jack Frost) will probably be Doi art.

In other news, as I am typing this Shin Megami Tensei V is the second-best selling game on all of Amazon right now. Feels good.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To those familiar with the series, is Jack Frost (who I recall being mentioned as a frontrunner character for SMT) akin to Slime and Chocobo?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To those familiar with the series, is Jack Frost (who I recall being mentioned as a frontrunner character for SMT) akin to Slime and Chocobo?
Correct. He's the mascot character to not just SMT, but all branches of Megaten and Atlus as a whole.

Heck, he even makes minor appearances elsewhere in Atlus related products:
1624660920776.png 1624660927586.png 1624660943672.png

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I even decided to make a series emblem based on him since there's no real iconography that ties the entire SMT series together better than him.
Love it! Though the detailing of the smiley on top may be more than is required/ feasible for the size.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I even decided to make a series emblem based on him since there's no real iconography that ties the entire SMT series together better than him.
I've actually been wondering what they'd use for the series emblem, since Persona's is exclusively from 5, but other emblems are something present in the entire series.

My main ideas have been Jack Frost, the classic / IV Press turn icon, the nocturne press turn icon, the Japanese series logo, the western series logo and a magatama.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
IMO, they would definitely go for the "Flexing Demon Sprite"
1624665726119.png

It's the only piece of SMT iconography outside its damn logo that's remained consistently used in all iterations of the SMT series... besides Jack Frost.
1624665521788.png

1624665553706.png

1624665568194.png

1624665617503.png

1624665705123.png

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The Japanese series logo is a satanic summoning circle so I really don't think they can do that.
Yeah, same with the western one, although it's slightly different. I could see the face (I'm assuming goddess?) In the centre being used, since that's part of the logo without any satanic imagery.

IMO, they would definitely go for the "Flexing Demon Sprite"
View attachment 320632

It's the only piece of SMT iconography outside its damn logo that's remained consistently used in all iterations of the SMT series... besides Jack Frost.
1 View attachment 320626
2 View attachment 320627
3 View attachment 320628
4 View attachment 320629
5 View attachment 320631
Yeah, that's what I meant with the classic / IV Press turn icon, although press turn wasn't in the classic games.

As you said, it's the most consistently present symbol, only being absent in Nocturne as far as I can remember (and even then it's used on the demi-fiend's jacket). I'd be surprised if it wasn't used somewhere in smash, even if it isn't the series icon.

Shroob

Sup?
Whoops, almost forgot about the Daily Demon, here's our 10th one:
Feng Huang AKA Suzaku AKA Phoenix
Another no-uniquer
Pretty sure Ippon-Datara wasn't confirmed before this as well.

Tsuchigumo
Mokoi
Ippon-Datara
Moh Shuvuu

Now we just need Yo****sune and that other dude and Team Raidou's all here.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
The other day I went to Gamestop and pre ordered SMTV, Wario Ware Get it Together & Mario Superstars. I admit I liked the SNES Shin Megami Tensei's & Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei more than III & VI. But V looks so damn good I can't wait to play it! Also secretly rooting that Protagonist Nahobino is the last DLC character. It would bookend it all perfectly, beginning with Persona and ending with SMT.

Top Bottom