• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Our time has finally come.
Unfortunately my schedule is a bit too packed for me to write out a long essay on both the chances and my desires, so I'm hoping you fellows will do it in my stead.

amageish

Smash Master
Travis got Mii costume'd. That... doesn't bode well for SMTV, I think.
I don't know if it matters all that much. The type of things that make a character likely to be playable definitely overlap with the type of things that make a franchise likely to be represented in the game in general - be it Mii Costume, Spirit Event, or what-have-you... This definitely could happen with SMT, but I don't think Travis changes the odds that much. Having a new game never confirmed anyone in of itself anyway and, with four playable slots left, it seems probable we'll be seeing a lot of characters/franchises that seen as likely get in in other ways...

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Travis is from a franchise in a worse standing than Bayonetta. SMT on the other hand is a much more successful franchise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
DEMIFIEND FIGMA ANNOUNCED ON NOCTURNE STREAM
View attachment 290323
(AND A 1/1 STATUE TOO????)
Oho, this is great. I'm an avid collector already though it's mostly SH Figuarts, but hey, this is gonna be cool. Who knows, I'll get a preorder in before my local gaming store puts Nocturne HD up for pre order

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink

I suppose this is where the next SMT V trailer will drop.
heeeey that's the first bit of Masayuki Doi art we've gotten since that SMTIV double pack game that was Japan exclusive. That's neat, good to know he's still there and have that confirmation that he is indeed still in charge of SMT's art.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I think Demi-Fiend should be the fighter due to his popularity and recent remake on the way. He looks like he'd be the coolest-looking, and I hope he has some summoning techniques where he calls forth a set of demons for specific attacks, maybe like assists in Capcom VS. games. You press a special button corresponding to the demon, and they appear and act independently while you're still able to move, and there's a cooldown period before you can summon that assist again. That's what I'd want the Summoner to do too, if they were chosen instead.

For the demons that accompany Summoner/Demi-Fiend, I'm thinking Jack Frost, Pixie, and Cu Chulainn would strike a nice balance of popularity and practicality. Neutral special is Jack Frost. He appears in front of the player and casts Bufula, which is an ice spell where he blows an icy wind that extends at mid-range and does slight ice damage with a chance to freeze, sort of like Ice Climbers' down special. When performed in mid-air, Jack Frost will be suspended in mid-air while casting Bufula and will be flapping his arms to keep himself afloat. He has a fast cooldown. Down special is Pixie. Her main utility is to heal, so her skill will be casting Dia, a light healing spell that heals somewhere between 5% to 10% of the player's health. She has a slow cooldown. Side special is Cu Chulainn. He is best known for his physical combat, so his skill will be Brave Blade where he lunges forward from the player's position and strikes the earth with his spear with devastating force. Imagine the grounded animation of Corrin's side special, but Cu Chulainn is much taller and lunges a greater distance. It has a decent splash zone surrounding the collision between the spear and the ground that does decent damage, but if the spear strikes the opponent directly, it deals massive damage and has a high launch rate, making it a viable KO move. When summoned mid-air, Cu Chulainn will perform the same action as he does on the ground, but a direct hit from the spear will result in a meteor smash. He has a moderate cooldown. Up Special can incorporate a 4th demon for the recovery. I think it should be Mothman because that would be funny. The player would grab the legs of Mothman as he flies them back to the stage.

Whether or not we get a playable fighter, there should be a Jack Frost Mii costume regardless. He's the mascot of the whole SMT brand, and his proportions would fit perfectly for the premium model, specifically Mii Brawler.

I like Persona as much as the next guy and was super excited for Joker, but for the parent series to not be recognized in any capacity is honestly detrimental to Persona since the demons are just as important to Persona's identity as anything else.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Personally I think the best summon roster for Demi-fiend (or any SMT rep) would be Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Pixie. It should be restricted to three because that's how the games work. I used to think Jack the Ripper was a good pick because of the Jack Bros Virtual Boy game, but they excluded him from the recent Jack Bros game and he also might be a little too scary for the E10+ rating, so Pixie is the next logical choice because she's often the first demon you acquire in these games and is the first demon in your party in Nocturne.
The recovery though has always been obvious to me, it just fits like a glove.
PYRO JACK.jpg

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm reading the game having some performance problems on PS4, but most baffling is that apparently the auto battle plays the whole animation of the attacks instead of speeding things up.
Hopefully it's things that can be patched up down the line, but it makes me more doubtful on how the Switch version will run. Also apparently from the games debug files. Hopefully it's a hint of further support on PC releases and not just some leftover code or something.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm reading the game having some performance problems on PS4, but most baffling is that apparently the auto battle plays the whole animation of the attacks instead of speeding things up.
Hopefully it's things that can be patched up down the line, but it makes me more doubtful on how the Switch version will run. Also apparently from the games debug files. Hopefully it's a hint of further support on PC releases and not just some leftover code or something.
Hopefully we can mod in the uncompressed music too then haha...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Honestly I'm hoping for them to patch the uncompressed music. But that's very very unlikely. I'd have hope if people complained a lot and all that, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Hopefully we can mod in the uncompressed music too then haha...
there's a lot of nice features the remaster doesn't seem to be delivering on fans could fix with a PC release
I was probably gonna pick up the PC version if it got an announcement above all others as that's just cheaper where I live, but if these problems are consistent for everyone I might skip dipping on the Switch version and just wait for the PC port entirely. Hopefully SEGA just pushes more Atlus games to get PC releases after Goldens success and with the extra hand they can lend on for them to do that compared to when they were part of Index.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think they lost the uncompressed versions of the music long ago. We have the OST version yes, but there are 8 variations of each battle theme synced to the phase of the moon. That is why only the (Meguro) battle themes are so compressed.
Yeah, that's the sad truth of it.
I would've hoped Atlus would've spared the expense to rerecord new guitar solos to replace the compressed ones, but in the end, that's just a pipe dream.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I feel like they should have offered a redone soundtrack as an option. Toshiki Konishi, the guitar master at ATLUS could have definitely shredded out some killer remixes. He did this theme:
One of the three Nocturne composers, Kenichi Tsuchiya, barely does anything these days outside of remixes too. It kinda feels like a pretty low effort remaster.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Another Dx2 collab! Not one I saw coming...
On the topic of collabs, does anybody here play Dragalia Lost? If so, how would you feel about an SMT crossover in that game?

Thanks to a recent datamine, we know a Persona 5 Scramble crossover is coming to DL, so it's not TOO far off for SMT, is it?

amageish

Smash Master
On the topic of collabs, does anybody here play Dragalia Lost? If so, how would you feel about an SMT crossover in that game?

Thanks to a recent datamine, we know a Persona 5 Scramble crossover is coming to DL, so it's not TOO far off for SMT, is it?
I don't play Dragalia Lost, but SMT getting some love in it would be cool!

That leak also doesn't include Jack Frost or Pixie, who have historically been used in Persona-branded mobile crossovers, so maybe that's a good sign for future SMT stuff down the line?

I mean, obviously we have precedent anyway with TMS#FE characters being in Fire Emblem Heroes. Everyone's favourite SMT-at-one-point-but-basically-its-own-IP-by-now game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Good news everyone!

A recent SMT3HD patch adds the Quality of Life feature, manual skill inheritance!

Wonder how this will go with the overall fanbase, because while this is a vast improvement, the stereotype of SMT fans would decry this as ruining the original game's vision, even if it'd only be a very vocal minority

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wonder how this will go with the overall fanbase, because while this is a vast improvement, the stereotype of SMT fans would decry this as ruining the original game's vision, even if it'd only be a very vocal minority
I doubt it.
Every SMT fan out there knows the pain of resetting the fusion circle in 3 over and over and over until they get the one skill they want.
The subreddit at least, is taking it very well.
1608762811464.png

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Apparently this is a thing you can toggle. Weirdos have no reason to complain now.
I can confirm though, the stereotype of Megatenists being driven crazy by quality of life sacrificing difficulty is not unfoubded. I think there is s fine line between difficulty and just plain old lack of QoL and random inheritance is definitely the latter.

Compare that to something like Naraku's entrance in 4 where the difficulty just comes from the actual enemies and lack of demons available for you (and Walter) which is much more fair game. Not like the game stays hard though. Grief!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My two cents on the current situation is that, on the bright side, the first pass already brought in an Atlus character. The downside is, third-party spirit events have seemingly run dry, so we don't know if anything will be done to directly promote SMTV if there isn't a character for SMT coming.

Also, while it's likely to be fake, what do you think about this list? If true, I find it interesting that they could go for Flynn instead of Demi-fiend, the SMTV protag or even Jack Frost.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/dec/23/rumor-sakurai-choices-leak-ssbu/

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My two cents on the current situation is that, on the bright side, the first pass already brought in an Atlus character. The downside is, third-party spirit events have seemingly run dry, so we don't know if anything will be done to directly promote SMTV if there isn't a character for SMT coming.

Also, while it's likely to be fake, what do you think about this list? If true, I find it interesting that they could go for Flynn instead of Demi-fiend, the SMTV protag or even Jack Frost.

I think Atlus and Nintendo strengthening their bonds and a resurgence of mainline SMT on home consoles definitely puts it in a prime position to get a Smash rep, not now probably, but perhaps eventually.

As for the list, I believe it's just him throwing a bunch of characters at a wall and seeing what stuck. While I could see them going for Flynn as he was the latest SMT protagonist in like, a decade, I don't exactly think he was in the running to begin with if I'm being honest.

amageish

Smash Master

I wouldn't be surprised to see mainline SMT in Smash and I do feel very confidant in Jack Frost ending up in the game in some form by the time the life cycle of Smash Ultimate is done... it just could be a SMTV spirit event adding four demons.

If we just pretend it is true, then maybe it would have ended up being a multiple-characters-in-one situation, as we do only have two halves of Hero on the list? As, yeah, Flynn being the only SMT rep is at least a bit surprising, given all the options presented there...

However, it does seem like a weird leak in general: Did Nintendo clear the rights for everyone and then let Sakurai pick, or were they just confidant they could make it work? It seems a tad bit logistically challenging to me...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Jack Frost would definitely be an out of left field pick. When was the last time we got a proper mascot character? Something like Pikachu or Kirby, that’s basically the logo for their company? The contrast between his design and his nature as a demon could be a fun element to play up. Imagine him smiling at Mario in his debut, only to freeze him solid and shatter him with a windup punch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't be surprised to see mainline SMT in Smash and I do feel very confidant in Jack Frost ending up in the game in some form by the time the life cycle of Smash Ultimate is done... it just could be a SMTV spirit event adding four demons.

If we just pretend it is true, then maybe it would have ended up being a multiple-characters-in-one situation, as we do only have two halves of Hero on the list? As, yeah, Flynn being the only SMT rep is at least a bit surprising, given all the options presented there...

However, it does seem like a weird leak in general: Did Nintendo clear the rights for everyone and then let Sakurai pick, or were they just confidant they could make it work? It seems a tad bit logistically challenging to me...
I figure that for the most part it would be a case of "choose who'd you like, then we'll work it out" kind of thing, seeing as they suggested Hero to him in the first place.

Jack Frost would definitely be an out of left field pick. When was the last time we got a proper mascot character? Something like Pikachu or Kirby, that’s basically the logo for their company? The contrast between his design and his nature as a demon could be a fun element to play up. Imagine him smiling at Mario in his debut, only to freeze him solid and shatter him with a windup punch.
Not entirely impossible. Sakurai would have went for Slime to represent DQ if Hero didn't work out.

At any rate, some suggest that he could always come with Jack O' Lantern and Jack Ripper.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And of course, the followup to Christmas.

amageish

Smash Master
I forgot to reply to this; whoops...

It's been a long time since a mascot character - and I think that's for a good-ish reason, as characters have generally been getting more and more "Make you feel like you're playing the original game, but also it's Smash" over time - but Jack Frost still could be super cool (pun semi-intended).

I do remember back in base game speculation I had the idea of a Doomguy/Jack-Frost double-reveal... just because I thought it'd be funny for a trailer to be dramatic with Doomguy going off to hunt "a powerful demon from another world"... only to reveal the "demon" in question is Jack Frost who hops out of a portal and gives him a big ol' hug. Also because [Insert Strange Journey Redux joke here].

And of course, the followup to Christmas.

Interesting that they've mentioned Project Re: Fantasy alongside SMTV in things to look forward to... Maybe we'll see something about that soon.

Top Bottom