• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
go for the most iconic/popular protags in cycling casts, so I'd expect Demifiend as Nocturne's the one people talk about more often than not. We got Solid Snake, not old man Snake, we got Cloud, not Warrior of Light, we got Simon, not Gabriel Belmont, etc.

Sidenote, I asked this before and I got no answer, what DLC for SMT4 should I get? I bought the game yesterday and have 5.34 left
You have a point there.
SMT folks would be happier with Demi-fiend as well, even if this doesn't actually matter lol

About your question I honestly don't know
Idk if you already started playing it, if you haven't I'd suggest to dive into the game first and if you wanna more, then buy some of the DLC
In any case I can't really help you there because I never tried any of the DLC, I just played the main game and did 3 of the 4 paths

I recall reading different and mixed opinions about the DLC. I think the game had some DLC that was mostly about cosmetics or adding more demons, and then some cooler DLC with new boss fights and maybe a bit of story content.

Anyway someone else would probably help you better than me with this.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sidenote, I asked this before and I got no answer, what DLC for SMT4 should I get? I bought the game yesterday and have 5.34 left
Most of the DLC is either cosmetic stuff or grinding so I'd instead recommend two of the story DLC. You unlock the bosses you fight against for fusion if you win. Each of these are $2.49 in USD so you could get two.
  • Clipped Wings 1 (fight against archangels Uriel and Raphael)
  • Clipped Wings 2 (fight against archangels Gabriel and Michael)
    • Both take place prior to the game starting and adds context to the world setting.
    • If you complete both of the prior missions, you also unlock Aeshma for fusion who comes with skills for Fire, Ice, Elec and Force Pierce - very fun if you want to fuse godly demons to steamroll future playthroughs.
  • Ancient One of the Sun (fight against Ancient of Days)
    • Law-themed bonus boss. Based on an area you go halfway through the game.
  • The Eternal Youth (fight against Sanat Kumara)
    • Chaos-themed bonus boss. Based on an area you go halfway through the game.
  • For The Past... For The Future: (fight against Masakado)
    • Another fight that takes place prior to the game starting.
    • You only have 10 turns to beat him.
They're intended for endgame players so you might want to hold off on buying them until you've completed one playthrough, though. I'd recommend the Clipped Wings 1 & 2 DLCs, since you get the most demons to play with out of it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
go for the most iconic/popular protags in cycling casts, so I'd expect Demifiend as Nocturne's the one people talk about more often than not. We got Solid Snake, not old man Snake, we got Cloud, not Warrior of Light, we got Simon, not Gabriel Belmont, etc.
But we also got Joker as the Persona rep and Eleven as the face of the DQ character. Atlus/Sega might be focused on promoting the newest title and giving the series as much momentum as possible. I think it could go either way. I just hope the stage and music list are appropriate for whole series representation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But we also got Joker as the Persona rep and Eleven as the face of the DQ character. Atlus/Sega might be focused on promoting the newest title and giving the series as much momentum as possible. I think it could go either way. I just hope the stage and music list are appropriate for whole series representation.
Joker's unique as he's both the most iconic character from the series and the most recent. As for Hero, there's a few implications that 3 was planned for the base but that they then chose 11. One thing that stands out though is that they could have easily made 11's alts just palette swaps as 11 has enough to work with on their own, but they still went above and beyond for the sake of legacy. Call me crazy but that desicion sounds like it was made to celebrate the franchise's legacy as a whole, I feel the SMTV protag would need to have the same potential abilities as Demifiend, Flynn or others to be in the same boat, something we don't know yet.

Though it's entirely possible I'm just running my mouth and they'll do V just because

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's hard to tell if SMT V protagonist could work as an alt of Demi-fiend. Well, not really hard. It's just hard to imagine SMT V protag would end being ''similar'' to Demi-fiend.
There are some theories I have seen about SMT V MC becoming sort of a angel/lawful Demi-fiend at the end of the latest trailer. If that ends being correct then maaaaaaybe there is some room for Sakurai to add both characters while sacrificing a bit of fidelity, but still it just seems unlikely.

Nintendo and Atlus might prefer the newest MC but I can see Sakurai going with Demi-fiend.

amageish

Smash Master
I think the Demifiend versus Summoner debate kind of would just depend on how they want to represent mainline SMT. Do they want a demon-summoner? Do they want some sort of Law/Chaos/Neutral alignment gimmick? How do they feel about swords? Is Jack Frost ever actually going to appear in this game?

Obviously Demifiend is from the most popular game, but him vs Flynn feels like a Cloud vs Terra situation if Terra could also come with a bunch more alts of more protagonists very easily (possibly including the V protag; we don't know yet)... I think it'd really come down to what kind of abilities they want to showcase over just picking the more popular/relevant character.

D

Deleted member

Really excited about the Nocturne remaster.

Heard It may have DLC which picked my curiosity.

D

Deleted member

The only DLC so far is Merciful difficulty.

Side note, finished the first of what I assume are many Domains in SMT4, absolutely loving it
Glad to hear you are loving SMT4 so far!

Whenever I have the chance I will try to download It (as It is digital only in Europe iirc).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Joker's unique as he's both the most iconic character from the series and the most recent. As for Hero, there's a few implications that 3 was planned for the base but that they then chose 11. One thing that stands out though is that they could have easily made 11's alts just palette swaps as 11 has enough to work with on their own, but they still went above and beyond for the sake of legacy. Call me crazy but that desicion sounds like it was made to celebrate the franchise's legacy as a whole, I feel the SMTV protag would need to have the same potential abilities as Demifiend, Flynn or others to be in the same boat, something we don't know yet.

Though it's entirely possible I'm just running my mouth and they'll do V just because
Actually, both Erdrick and Luminary were initially planned for Dragon Quest, with Solo and Eight being added later.

As for who I think it would be, I personally lean towards the SMTV protag for a playable rep. While we don't know his abilities, I feel like Nintendo and Atlus would agree to use him so as to maximize the promotional aspect of his inclusion.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As for Nocturne's DLC I'm expecting more of it beyond the Merciful difficulty. I mean I doubt they would add an entire category in the game's website named "DLC" only to add the easy mode.

Not expecting cool DLC beyond cosmetics or new demons tho. Maybe Dante as DLC. Or you know, Joker from Persona 5 as a secret boss fight lol

D

Deleted member

As for Nocturne's DLC I'm expecting more of it beyond the Merciful difficulty. I mean I doubt they would add an entire category in the game's website named "DLC" only to add the easy mode.

Not expecting cool DLC beyond cosmetics or new demons tho. Maybe Dante as DLC. Or you know, Joker from Persona 5 as a secret boss fight lol
Cosmetic DLC could be quite cool if done right, ngl.

Persona DLC does seem plausible too, lol.

amageish

Smash Master
Given how it's ATLUS, I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't have OST DLC if you want to play Nocturne with battle themes from other games in the series (and also probably Persona 5)...

D

Deleted member

Given how it's ATLUS, I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't have OST DLC if you want to play Nocturne with battle themes from other games in the series (and also probably Persona 5)...
Could unironically imagine something like that happening with the Joker amiibo, lol.

Like SMT3 and V giving you Persona 5 songs by using the Joker amiibo.

Although not fully counting on It.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, it would be funny, but like a half of Persona 5's soundtrack wouldn't really work in Nocturne

I mean Demi-fiend punching demons in the face while listening Last Surprise sounds promising and bizarre at the same time

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Well, it would be funny, but like a half of Persona 5's soundtrack wouldn't really work in Nocturne

I mean Demi-fiend punching demons in the face while listening Last Surprise sounds promising and bizarre at the same time
Given the music choices for Catherine cosmetic DLC in P5, I'm not sure they are the type to care about tonal cohesion when you can make money off of crossovers/fanservice haha.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Could unironically imagine something like that happening with the Joker amiibo, lol.

Like SMT3 and V giving you Persona 5 songs by using the Joker amiibo.

Although not fully counting on It.
I rather doubt it, seeing as it's just Nintendo that produces and makes use of amiibo nowadays. Ultimate and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove are the last hurrah in regards to those. Joker ones are of limited quantity, too, so Atlus would be overstepping their bounds.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Not sure if it’s been done before, but I made this out of boredom + love for the SMTV protagonist’s design.
086D6649-8502-4D54-B87C-F50A0C380AD1.png

Sorry if it’s poorly made. This is my first fanmade stock icon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not sure if it’s been done before, but I made this out of boredom + love for the SMTV protagonist’s design.
View attachment 280344
Sorry if it’s poorly made. This is my first fanmade stock icon.
Nah, it's pretty good by the standards of the Newcomer stock icon thread. On a side note, can someone take over that thread? Nothing happened since Pakky left.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Nah, it's pretty good by the standards of the Newcomer stock icon thread. On a side note, can someone take over that thread? Nothing happened since Pakky left.
That’s good.
And, yeah. I decided to check over there for references for this stock icon and it was rare to find a working image. It really sucks that he left without thinking about who could take his place.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I did it guys I got Walter to make the Minotaur smirk and get a TPK on me, finally, I can truly call myself an SMT fan
Walter: "Most unlucky for you", then he casts Agi
Flynn:

****ing Walter I died 2 or 3 times against Minotaur because of him

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Apologies for the incoming wall of text.

If the SMT rep gets demon summons, they would most certainly have Jack Frost and Pixie among them, though since they're so iconic maybe they could be integrated into their other specials. For example, the side-special could be Jack Frost with bufu as an area of denial move (it would be cool as a Din's Fire/PK-Freeze-like move, just more horizontal) and the up-special could be Pixie appearing and using zan to boost the player up (I'm imagining it working like Robin/Hero).

As for the down-special, I'd personally love to see a loadout of demons appear (like hero's spells). Selecting them makes them appear and use a single attack before fading out. It could be interesting if there's a tiny delay between the demon appearing and it using it's attack so the player can move and set up combos involving the demon's attack.

Of course there are wayyy too many iconic demons to feasibly put them all in, so if technical limitations only lets up to four demons be in the summoning pool, I'd choose:
Belial with Maragidyne, Thor with Ziodyne, Beelzebub with Death Flies (w/o the insta-kill, maybe gives a poison effect), and Metatron with Holy Wrath (chance to inflict extra damage on hit)

Of course those are just my personal choices, other demons that I could see being added instead are:
Decarabia, Ose, Samael, Girimehkala, Isis, Matador, Trumpeter, Mother Harlot, Mot, Archangel, Odin, Throne, Loki, Alice, Mothman, Mara, Mastema, and Yo****sune to name a few off the top of my head.

Note that I'm imagining this more for a Flynn/SMTV protag character, as Demifiend would probably play very different.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, so I rewrote my Demi-fiend moveset yet again to capitalize on the SMT3 HD Remaster hype.
This one focuses on buffing himself up and using all of his giant arsenal of attacks present in his own game.

Demi-fiend Splash Art.png

Introducing the Demi-fiend, part man, and part demon. Using the power gained from tearing through the demons of the vortex world, he enters the world in the smash more than prepared to take on both the forces of good and evil, rejecting them both and forging his own path!
The Demi-fiend is an offensive powerhouse who focused on rushing down the enemy and controlling the pace of the game. Equipped with dozens of tools, he has an answer to respond to most defensive moves. Given the opportunity, he can manually buff all his stats and normal attacks with focus, making his advantage state even stronger. Normally he fights using attacks of man, punching and kicking, but when he focuses, he charges up and embraces his demonic heritage. Pressing his advantage at any opportunity he gets, he can become an unstoppable monster that goes out of control.
01 Introduction
Summoned
Blue Lightning strikes the ground with Demi-fiend appearing from the smoke and assuming his battle stance.

02 Stance
Battle Pose with one arm up and one arm down
When greater than 100%, assumes more relaxed stance

03 Crouch
Similar pose except kneeling

04 Idle 1
Closes his eyes and takes a breath, his tattoos glowing softly

05 Idle 2
Cracks his knuckles and stretches his neck

06 Sprint
Runs at full sprint

07 Double Jump
Summons a magic circle to leap off of

08 Wall Jump
Kicks off the wall

09 Taunt 1
Does a sarcastic clap. Pixie appears on his shoulder and gives a clap as well.

10 Taunt 2
Points at the enemy menacingly and begins to walk. If he gets up close to a character or he can't move forward anymore he leans forward and glares at them. At greater than 100% he becomes invulnerable to projectiles during the walk cycle.

11 Taunt 3
Holds his hand out and beckons the enemy to come at him.

12 Victory 1
Unleashes a powerful gaea rage, cracking open the stage and enveloping him in white light, with only his silhouette illuminated by his tattoos shows

13 Victory 2
Does his focus animation, holding out his fist and setting it aflame

14 Victory 3
Turns around and walks towards the camera, the silhouette of hundred of demons manifesting behind him.

15 Defeat
Closes his eyes and looks away in disappointment while Jack Frost sits atop his head and claps for him.

16 Victory Theme
The Opening Notes to Shin Megami Tense 3's Title Loop

17 Kirby Hat
Gains tattoos and the Demi-fiend's haircut. Gains Demi-fiend's Neutral B.

01 Shield
Tetraja
Crosses his arms in an X-shape

02 Parry
Beast Eye
Stacks his forearms in front of each other and pushes outward with a single glowing eye being visible between his arms.

03 Shield Broken
Dizzy
Hunches over while clutching his arm and glowing yellow-orange.

04 Sleeping
Conceived
Lies down with one knee up

05 Forward Dodge
Sukukaja
Does a spin flip forwards

06 Backwards Dodge
Sukukaja
Does a kick flip backwards

07 Spot Dodge
Sukukaja
Crouches into the Z-axis before going back

08 Air Dodge
Sukukaja
Does a spin

09 Ledge Attack
Counter
Leaps over and punches the ground causing a shockwave and knocking people at the ledge away

10 Get-up attack Face Down
Retaliate
Punches the ground, creating a shockwave while getting to his feet

11 Get-up attack Face Up
Retaliate
Punches the ground, creating a shockwave while getting to his feet

01 Shield Special
Focus
Demi-fiend extends his right hand releasing a huge amount of energy.
This charges up normals for a set amount of time.
The shockwave itself does a tiny amount of knockback, but barely any damage.

02 Neutral Special
Magma Axis
Demi-fiend gathers fire in his hands over his head and blasts a medium range fire beam forward. In the air, this is angled downwards at a shallow angle. It does a decent amount of damage and knockback, but it isn't good at killing unless used to gimp.

03 Side Special
Final/Apocalypse Deadly Fury
On the ground, it is a full combination attack that changes its final attack based on the direction of the input (Think of Marth's Dancing Blade)
It begins with a left claw swipe, and with another input follows with a right claw swipe.
With the final input, the next attack will change based on the direction of the stick:

Holding forward or nothing with an additional press will finish with a double claw swipe in an X-shape. At high percents this kills off the side.

Holding down will have the Demi-fiend do a flip and slam into the ground with an axe kick, bouncing the enemy off the floor. It's slower than average, but it does a ton of shield damage and catches jumps. In the air, this will keep going until hitting the ground or the blast-zone.

Holding up will have the Demi-fiend launch the opponent up with a knee. It won't kill unless near the top blastzone, but it'll set the enemy in a favorable position above.

Holding back will have the Demi-fiend teleport through the opponent and then do a flying kick to the back of their head and just like the forward follow up, it kills near the side of the stage.

04 Down Special
Chaos Blade
Evasively launches himself into the air with a high amount of controllability ala Zero Suit Samus's Flip Kick. Pressing the B button whilst in mid-air has him summon a shining blue blade and slam it downwards, causing an explosion upon impact.

05 Special Up
Xeros Beat
Does a series of consecutive spinning kicks in the air, firing off a spiral of energy sparks. Powerful and can be controlled somewhat, but lacks vertical height, made up for in the Down B.

01 Jab:
Does a left punch, followed by a right gut punch, knocking them straight up with little knockback to setup for future combos.

Focused - Divine Shot:
The punches are wreathed in flame and the gut punch is followed up with a blast of light from the left hand, having decent killing power at ledge and extending its range a fair distance.

02 Forward Tilt:
Steps forward a bit and hits the enemy with their left elbow. An additional input makes him follow up with a punch aimed at the chest. Fast, damaging, long-range, and all-around a great move no matter the percent. The 2 part move can catch opponents off guard with the timing.

Focused - Iron Claw
He instead follows up the elbow by scratching forward with his right hand. Fast, long-range, and can kill even earlier; it is a straight up improvement in every regard.

03 Down Tilt:
Swings their left fist at the opponent's feet hooking them low and knocking them upwards for combos.

Focused - Hades Blast:
Uses his right foot and stomps down at the opponent, sending out a small shockwave bouncing up opponents for combos. Spikes enemies hanging on ledge down and has a higher range than the normal down tilt. Also does a considerable amount of shield damage if the foot lands very close to shield.

04 Up Tilt:
Does a high kick that attacks the area in front and above the Demi-fiend. Combos easily into aerials.

Focused - Fire Breath:
Breathes a jet of fire upwards in an arc above. Faster, disjointed, and covers a wider arc. All around great move. At high percents, it's an easy kill move

05 Dash Attack:
A sluggish but powerful hook aimed up and diagonally at the opponent's chin, launching them diagonally away.

Focused - Berserk:
A rising kick with the right leg followed with a punch downwards with the left fist. It activates much faster and goes past shield, making it a potent burst option. While it's not much stronger than the normal dash attack, the downwards angle it sends opponents at is perilous.

01 Forward Smash
Rears back, and hits them with a powerful right hook, doing a ton of damage and killing at a decent percentage.

Focused - Javelin Rain & Freikugel:
Rains energy missiles from his back at the opponenent. If the missiles land, he follows up by blasting them away with a laser shot from his face. It's extraordinarily powerful and almost completely destroys shields, making it a threatening tool. However the Demi-fiend is locked into this animation for the entirety of the move and is punishable if he misses. As a special effect, it completely ignores counters and activates a special zoom if it pierces through one.

02 Down Smash
Slams down on the earth with both hands, releasing a shockwave that knocks enemies in front and behind away.

Focused - Deadly Fury:
Summons a blade and does a lightning fast slash 360 degrees around him. Kills, but not as soon as his other focused smashes.

03 Up Smash
A rising uppercut with all the Demi-fiend's weight put into it, rising into the air on impact. Fast and powerful, but if whiffed, has the Demi-fiend fall back down to the earth vulnerable all the while which makes it a risky move to throw out.

Focused - Gaea Rage:
Gathers energy around his body and releases it, cracking the earth and summoning a pillar of pure light coming from the ground and rising into the air.

01 Neutral Aerial
Extends both his hands diagonally while scrunching up his knee, hitting them with his palms down-below and up-behind. Extremely fast move that acts as great combo filler and a combo breaker. When focused, adds a blue fire effect to the palms.

02 Forward Aerial
Does an aerial uppercut and quickly follows up with an overhead slam. Fast, covers a large area, and kills early if used to edgeguard or late if used to kill. When focused, adds a blue flame effect to the punches.

03 Back Aerial
Flips uside down and does an bicycle kick downwards. Surprisngly fast while also mainting power, it is incredible at edgeguarding and forcing enemies in unfavorable positions. Focused, there's a blue fire type applied to the attack.

04 Down Aerial
Flies diagonally downwards with a right hook, sending anyone who gets hit to their deaths down below. On impact with the ground, a shield, or an enemy, he'll bounce backwards safely. If whiffed, he'll accelerate forward a set distance and then go back to normal falling speed. When focused, adds azure flames to the fist.

05 Up Aerial
Does a triple kick upwards, comboing and launching them into the top blastzone at high percent and comboing at low percent. When focused, adds blue fire to every single kick.

01 Grab
Grabs them with the left hand
When focused, the grab range is extended thanks to a spectral claw that manifests where the previous arm was.

02 Pummel
Hooks the opponent's body.
Focused - Hellfire
The fist is now wreathed in blue fire and does additional damage.

03 Forward Throw
Heaves the opponent behind their head and them throws them forward with all their might. Good for repositioning the enemy off the stage.

Focused - Hell Thrust
Does a palm strike with a huge amount of force, knocking them much farther and potentially killing.

04 Back Throw
Hooks the enemy in the gut, and then slams them overhead, bouncing them off the floor. Does good damage and repositions the enemy behind but doesn't kill.

Focused - Spiral Viper
Throws the enemy overhead into the floor and fires an explosive laser at the enemy blasting them away. This does much more damage and actually will kill and quite early if used at ledge.

05 Down Throw
Slams the opponenet to the floor and then does a soccer kick forward, launching them in the air a short distance away setting up for more combos.

Focused - Oni-Kagura
Gathers energy around his own head and then headbutts the opponent's skull knocking them to the floor where he then does the soccer kick. Does more damage, but less knockback making combos from it easier to land

06 Up Throw
Does an uppercut to the opponent launching them skyward. Used for some situational combos and to reposition the enemy in an awkward position, but cannot realistically kill.

Focused - Berserker God
Does a series of punches the opponent's mid-section before doing a powerful killing blow launching them into the sky. Powerful and does a large amount of damage, its a very safe option for killing anyone anywhere on the stage.

01 Final Smash: True Demon
Demi-fiend unleashes a giant gaea rage that covers the screen in pure white. Anyone hit is launched into the air. Demi-fiend with his skin completely black save for the glowing of his tattoos and his shining red eyes leaps up into the sky, gathers the energy of a medgidolaon into his fist and slams it into anyone caught, releasing a massive explosion.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Great job with the moveset, Idon. I liked it!
I'd be a bit surprised if Demi-fiend hadn't Pixie, Jack Frost or another demon appearing in his moveset in some way, tho. But besides that, I really like the idea and the concept of this.

As for his taunts, maybe it's just me but I'd imagine some different taunts. I see him more serious and stoic. It's funny to me to imagine him provoking the rival with a sarcastic clap, for example. haha

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Great job with the moveset, Idon. I liked it!
I'd be a bit surprised if Demi-fiend hadn't Pixie, Jack Frost or another demon appearing in his moveset in some way, tho. But besides that, I really like the idea and the concept of this.

As for his taunts, maybe it's just me but I'd imagine some different taunts. I see him more serious and stoic. It's funny to me to imagine him provoking the rival with a sarcastic clap, for example. haha
Hey thanks for the read!

Anyways, my reason for not including the demons in the moveset was 2-fold. One, I had another moveset using Flynn and the summoners from 1,2, and 4A which used the demons in a much more active role there and I felt like I needed to differentiate that moveset from this one. Secondly, I thought that in the context of a fighting game, I should design the moveset to be as flashy as possible, so in the similar way where Joker is designed to be solo and Arsene only, but really stretch the depth of what that one Persona could do, I tried to stretch the depth of what a solo Demi-fiend could do.

As for the stoic part, I would agree, but SMT4A DLC re-contextualized my perception of the Demi-fiend.
Quotes like demi dont whine and say its unfair later okay.jpg and demi prime minister.png make him out to be more cocky and battle-hungry than what you'd see in SMT3, and I thought that'd be a more entertaining way to put him in Smash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey thanks for the read!

Anyways, my reason for not including the demons in the moveset was 2-fold. One, I had another moveset using Flynn and the summoners from 1,2, and 4A which used the demons in a much more active role there and I felt like I needed to differentiate that moveset from this one. Secondly, I thought that in the context of a fighting game, I should design the moveset to be as flashy as possible, so in the similar way where Joker is designed to be solo and Arsene only, but really stretch the depth of what that one Persona could do, I tried to stretch the depth of what a solo Demi-fiend could do.

As for the stoic part, I would agree, but SMT4A DLC re-contextualized my perception of the Demi-fiend.
Quotes like View attachment 280443 and View attachment 280444 make him out to be more cocky and battle-hungry than what you'd see in SMT3, and I thought that'd be a more entertaining way to put him in Smash.
Your explanation is understandable. I won't lie, I'd like to see demons appearing alongside a SMT rep, maybe not as the main focus of their moveset. At the same time, Demi-fiend is probably my favorite protag between him, Flynn and Nanashi, and he could totally play without any demon presence.

I haven't tried SMT4 Apocalypse DLC so I never saw that part of the character. After seeing theese 2 quotes, now I can see this cocky attitude lol

Btw, maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I really like his SMT IV design.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Your explanation is understandable. I won't lie, I'd like to see demons appearing alongside a SMT rep, maybe not as the main focus of their moveset. At the same time, Demi-fiend is probably my favorite protag between him, Flynn and Nanashi, and he could totally play without any demon presence.

I haven't tried SMT4 Apocalypse DLC so I never saw that part of the character. After seeing theese 2 quotes, now I can see this cocky attitude lol

Btw, maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I really like his SMT IV design.
Yeah that's why I plan on doing another moveset for him that involves more demon co-op later. It is a big component of SMT and I'd be remiss to not mention it. I also got plans for Flynn and other megaten protags like Serph and Raidou, but those are definitely going to come much later.

Also I like the SMT4 design as well, and I feel like it's a much more digestible design to modern audiences than the acquired taste that is Kaneko designs.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
yeah Doi is basically mainstream-friendly Kaneko but also with a better grasp of anatomy and fashion

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't think Doi quite has demon design down to the extent that Kaneko did. Note that he only started demon design work in IV: Apocalypse and Strange Journey Redux - he did characters and outfits in the base game of IV. Presumably the new 'demon' and 'angel' designs in the SMTV trailer are also his.

His unused Apocalypse concepts have some fantastic takes on Dagda, Danu, Innana etc but a lot of his final products are questionable. Like Odin is a mix of pop-culture and traditional elements not unlike a lot of Kaneko designs but instead of being a traditional depiction with a pop-culture zest, it's pop-culture with traditional accessories.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how he develops and he's definitely capable of some fantastic designs (Adramalech, Mephistopheles, Sukuna-Hikona and Chironup are great). But Kaneko's output and knack is unparalleled.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That moveset is really great. Even without relying on demon summoning, a moveset that is centered around buffing yourself kind of goes hand in hand with how SMT plays and feels like. Oh and I love the use of fisherman slam for the backthrow, it's my favorite move to pull off with Bryan. :shades:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Hey y’all, I was already pretty stocked when Joker was revealed, but with nocturne coming to switch, I’ve been thinking more and more how sick it would be if we got Demi-fiend or Jack Frost in smash too! This thread has my support for sure.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now that I'm finally getting the hang of Demon Whisper and ****, goddamn, I wish I knew I had the option of playing 4 years ago, this may very well be my favourite RPG franchise, Press Turn rewards player knowledge which can only be gained by experimentation or having the demon itself, leading to what I believe may be the best example of game design making a player want to be better I've seen since I saw the DMC Style meter all these years ago.

Also I can summon Jack Frost. Hee ****ing Ho

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I feel that if an SMT protag got it, they could feasibly do a Olimar/Alph deal between the SMTV protag and Flynn depending on what V's protag plays like. Demifiend would probably be too different to meld into that character though.

Though a part of me wants a demon in the game as well, like Jack Frost with a Black Frost and Demonee-ho alt

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel that if an SMT protag got it, they could feasibly do a Olimar/Alph deal between the SMTV protag and Flynn depending on what V's protag plays like. Demifiend would probably be too different to meld into that character though.

Though a part of me wants a demon in the game as well, like Jack Frost with a Black Frost and Demonee-ho alt
Do you figure that Sak might run into another "hero or marketable monster" situation?

amageish

Smash Master
I feel like Jack Frost would have to be featured in the game in some way, be it summoned as part of an attack or temporarily appearing in taunts a la Morgana and Slime.

... but also this is the second time I have said this exact sentiment. Honestly, I am incredibly confused by how Jack Frost isn't even a spirit yet, which is probably the best argument for further MegaTen content being on the way in some form...

I'd be kind of surprised if he was made playable by himself though. Mascot characters tend not to get in over protagonists and it'd be easy to make Jack Frost part of a larger summoner moveset that accurately recreates the mechanics/spirit of SMT. If we did get Jack Frost playable without a human, then I'd kind of expect him to be with the other Jacks (and maybe Pixie too?) as a "Jack Bros" combo character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like Jack Frost would have to be featured in the game in some way, be it summoned as part of an attack or temporarily appearing in taunts a la Morgana and Slime.

... but also this is the second time I have said this exact sentiment. Honestly, I am incredibly confused by how Jack Frost isn't even a spirit yet, which is probably the best argument for further MegaTen content being on the way in some form...

I'd be kind of surprised if he was made playable by himself though. Mascot characters tend not to get in over protagonists and it'd be easy to make Jack Frost part of a larger summoner moveset that accurately recreates the mechanics/spirit of SMT. If we did get Jack Frost playable without a human, then I'd kind of expect him to be with the other Jacks (and maybe Pixie too?) as a "Jack Bros" combo character.
Furthermore, third parties up to this point have strictly focused on playable protagonists, even when the opportunity was given to do things differently, so it'll take years for that to change.

At the very least, I could see us simply get a SMTV spirit event with Jack Frost in it somewhere.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
didn't they gift a spirit for playing the DQXI demo? I could see Frosty getting a similar treatment.

Top Bottom