• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I love Itsuno.

Tho it seems Dante will cost around 10 bucks.
I guess it's because they have to license him from Capcom. Better than not having him at all, at least.
The lights need turning on and the toilets need flushing, I suppose.
Dante in the dark.gif

At least this is finally relevant:
smt3 hd remaster ft. dante.png

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Honestly I still don't know if I will buy Nocturne on the Switch or for the PS4 lol
Not expecting major differences in terms of graphic and performance, but I guess I'll wait for the Japan release to see opinions on the remaster.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I guess it's because they have to license him from Capcom. Better than not having him at all, at least.

EDIT: He comes with Pierce now. Rebellion (a physical skill) damages Mada (who absorbs Phys).
That's sick. He'll be good against the final boss now. They probably did that to put him on an even playing field with Raidou who was unequivocally better.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
e28.jpg

Finally, an appropriate time for me to post this. The PS2 version is officially obsolete to me now, I'm getting this version.

Compared to some other things I get, 10 smackers is just chicken feed to me.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I don’t think I’ll be spending an extra $10 for Dante since DMC has never been my thing. That said, it’s really cool that the option is there, and that they kept the same design from the original release!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I remembered someone suggested that Law and Chaos factor could into an SMT moveset somehow. And after thinking about previous demon summoning ideas, I thought implementing Forward/Backward Specials would be a great way to showcase how they're opposing ideologies in the same moveset. I think that could be interesting so I came up with an example.

Basically, you can have two demons out at a time, and there's three of each alignment.
Neutral Special: Neutrally aligned demons.
Forward Special: Chaos aligned demons.
Backwards Special: Law aligned demons.
Neutral has its own slot and your second demon must be law or chaos. A law demon will replace your current chaos demon if summoned and vice-versa. Repeated summons of the same type will toggle through the demons in that category going from weakest to strongest and then back to weakest. Summons can be interrupted so don't expect a free lunch. Each level of summon contains all buffs of the previous demons in that alignment line as well as increased penalties for having them out (think magnetite costs in SMT1/2). Some abilities also improve at higher levels like projectiles or disjoint attacks.

Their actual abilities differ to reflect their alignment.
Neutral is about balance so their abilities are often a middleground. Pixie adds a disjointed magic hitbox to your regular attacks - not quite ranged, not quite melee. Jack Frost contributes with his short-ranged Icy Breath for Smash inputs, while Cerberus contributes a fast reliable tether grab. But Neutral demons are only as useful as you make them - they're 'active' abilities rather than passive buffs. Your Neutral demon will return to your comp after a few attacks, or automatically if you haven't had them do anything in a while. Indecisiveness offers no benefits.
Chaos is about freedom and strength. Mudo grants a proper projectile to help exert your stage presence (SMTV Imp?). A damage buff lets you rack up % or helps finish off an already damaged opponent (insert your favorite Fallen demon here). Finally, a movement buff complete with an extra jump gives a lot of freedom in how you decide to play and lets you go off stage to pursue your opponent into hell itself (courtesy of Beelzebub and his myriad flies). But without anything to guarantee your safety, you might take more damage or damage over time as a consequence.
Law is about safety and order. An improved recovery via a Tengu airlift helps keep you alive, as does healing over time from a Megami like Lakshmi. Finally a counter/reflector on your shield courtesy of Metatron protects you from the opponent's advances. But safety and order stifles creativity and passion, so it's generally worse for going on the offense. Specifically, Law is great for keeping opponents out but no so good about getting in.

Every other attack in the moveset is the protagonist's own might, whether it be guns and swords or gaea rage and punches. Because the best abilities are locked behind the highest level summons, it's easy to manage neutral demons but not so easy to go from law to chaos.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Back with the Flynn set I tried to make it so each element was bound to a direction. Unfortunately that ended up with light and dark being relegated to the get-up and ground recovery attacks. I wanna try and make a more physical moveset because Demi-Fiend just kinda gives off this brutal vibe. Maybe I can take some inspiration from the "canon" movesets he has in DDS and Apocalypse.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, if we got an smt rep, do you think they'd come with other megaten music (like digital devil saga, devil summoner and devil survivor), or just have mainline SMT music?

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Atlus has grouped all Megaten spinoffs aside from Persona under Shin Megami Tensei, so it is certainly possible. I think DDS and Devil Summoner getting tracks is more likely than Devil Survivor. You never know though, Devil Survivor 2's composer has been in Smash since Brawl.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I feel like dds is less likely than devil summoner, since as far as I can remember dds isn't considered an smt game in Japan. I hope I'm wrong though, since the music in the dds games is incredible.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like dds is less likely than devil summoner, since as far as I can remember dds isn't considered an smt game in Japan. I hope I'm wrong though, since the music in the dds games is incredible.
Neither are.
Devil Summoner at the very least has its first entry being called in Japanese "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner" but it's gotten turned into its own series with soul hackers and the raidous.

As for music if we do get an SMT character I can't imagine us not getting all of Megaten to come along with it.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Devil Summoner at the very least has its first entry being called in Japanese "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner" but it's gotten turned into its own series with soul hackers and the raidous.
Ok, I wasn't sure if devil summoner was considered part of SMT or not, so I guess if it's included there's no reason for dds not to be.

On another note, while smt if... would probably have music, I wonder if smt nine would.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I can't imagine them picking any of Nine's original music, but the game does have some good mixes of older game music. The SMT1 boss theme and the SMT1 regular battle theme both come to mind.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I hadn't thought about remixes. They could maybe use imagine music too then. If they include old enemy - akira volume, they'd probably use the p5 version as well.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I think they might want to limit the remixes to within the series itself. So I could see the Nocturne version of Akira Volume being used, but not really the Persona one. SMTIV in particular has a buncha remixes of classic tracks.

I don't personally have much of a wishlist for SMT tracks but if Akira Volume, Battle A2 and A3 aren't in there that's a crime.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think they might want to limit the remixes to within the series itself. So I could see the Nocturne version of Akira Volume being used, but not really the Persona one.
Yeah, that would make sense. The nocturne version's really good as well, so that would be fine.

My most wanted tracks are probably fierce battle, battle b2, battle c3 and battle f1. (Although the SMT 2 battle theme's really good as well.)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pre-orders are open, it's coming...
At least for Japanese folks.

Also Japanese dub Dante:

amageish

Smash Master
Nothing yet about Langdon as Dante for the english dub?
No, though they have acknowledged that the Dante DLC is coming at least! It's nice to see ATLUS just formally announcing things as they're confirmed in Japan; they're definitely improving international communication.

Wouldn't be too surprised if the dub cast was announced closer to English launch though...

amageish

Smash Master
We've got a Tokyo Game Show schedule! Woo!

SEGA and Atlus are sharing one 50-minute livestream, which is a lot less time then Atlus usually spends at this event... It'll be on September 25th at 8PM JST (4AM PT and 7AM ET). I assume SMTV will be shown in some form, but the relatively-short timeslot makes me expect less news then I was hoping for. Wouldn't be shocked if we got a gameplay trailer at least though?

Weirdly, the YouTube stream for panels are already up...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Nocturne is a lock, the game comes out October in Japan.
SMTV I'm not entirely sure and I don't want to play the pessimist role but I could see the game skipping TGS. Not saying we won't get SMTV news for a while, we should get something before 2021 at least, I think.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the entire TGS.

amageish

Smash Master
Nocturne is a lock, the game comes out October in Japan.
SMTV I'm not entirely sure and I don't want to play the pessimist role but I could see the game skipping TGS. Not saying we won't get SMTV news for a while, we should get something before 2021 at least, I think.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the entire TGS.
Nocturne definitely will be there as well. Probably some Dx2 stuff, given how that's been highlighted the last few years? Maybe not though, as 50 minutes is just not that many minutes...

Maybe I'm being overconfidant... I think it depends on if the Q1 2021 release is a placeholder, as they definitely would need to show it off in more places soon if it is actually early next year. They could always just do their own streams though, I suppose...

TGS has a lot of things to look forward to! Definitely an interestingly varied line-up this year.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What I expected. They probably will start advertising SMTV after Nocturne releases over there. I hope...

Also interested in seeing more of Nocturne's remaster.

Top Bottom