• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

♫ Lucario Interview Thread ♫ - Junebug

Browny

Smash Hater
Alright guys you know the drill, seeing as just about every character board besides us have done an interview thread, it's kind of hard to have not noticed lol.

Ask the people here you converse regularly with any questions you may want to know in a much more formal setting than IM's :p With a range of questions from a variety of people aking things you may never have thought of, get to know each other a bit better and hopefully have a bit of fun and cure boredom a bit with this whole process :)

Simple rules:
- Don't ask questions which would breach SWF policy on inappropriateness etc.
- Avoid questions which can be answered in an IM such as "are you going to [tournament] on the weekend?"
- Try to keep questions meaningful and relevant to others who will read this thread and dont repeat questions.

As per the other threads, people vote on who next interviewed will be. Theres no restrictions on who can be voted, even long-since quit Lucario mains if you want (we could track down Azen... eventually :p). Once it is clear who cannot be overtaken in votes or after a certain period of time (pending thread activity), whoever is in the lead will be interviewed.

Yes this type of thread is a popularity contest, no escaping that fact but if we go through this quick enough, should be able to get to almost all Luc mains in just a few months :)

-----

1 - ZUCCO
How is it like being in your region? it's joked about being stacked a lot.
Its stressful and rewarding at the same time. Living in a region like mine, where every tourney is guaranteed to have national level players(ADHD, Anti, Atomsk, Ally sometimes ect) can be a pain since its such a struggle to get those top placings sometimes. go to a tourney, lose to 2 top players, get like 17th, it feels like crap, but its part of living in a really good region. seeding will never be perfect, and you just gotta get better. The good thing about living here is that it actually is possible to get better due to all the good players that live here. Practice makes perfect and if you have A level players to play every week you are sure to improve(some more than others but you get the point)

Do you feel like you are the best Lucario?
Nah I dont think Im the best. Junebug is the best imo. Trela is also really good and I think we are around the same level but have different strengths and weaknesses. Ksizzle quit so I cant say him, and Lee Martin is a much better player than me, so its hard for me to say I have a better Lucario than him either. I dont mind that though, and just let others judge me against all you other lucarios lol.

What is your opinion on Lucario vs Fox?
I think we lose 45:55 or 40:60(probably more towards 40:60), depending on the stage and playstyle of the fox. Its hard for us to catch Fox and most of our moves are unsafe and can get us killed at high %. If all the other foxes played like TKD I think our character wouldn't stand a chance, but lets just be thankful that isn't the case ;)

Do you practice or if not, when you did how did you work on practicing or getting better?
I used to practice alot, mainly with dmbrandon, ether, and ninjaedd. dmbrandon would tell me what I was doing wrong all the time, which helped alot when I first started playing since I was pretty bad. nowadays the only practice I would get would be friday nights before a tournament. Usually I stay at Atomsk or dmbrandons house, and we play until we get bored lol.

How is the Squidgirl anime, I dunno if I want to try watching it?
Cute, and funny. I enjoyed it alot.
How bad/good is my lucario, for reals.
its good, but not great.

and weakness/strength you can pull out from a glance? D:
its clear you understand the character and what you need to do but i dont think you have enough experience and reaction time to execute it all. I also think you make some weird choices and you should think over lucarios best options in each situation before executing them.

Why are you shorter then terry?
both of my parents are short lol

Did you hate milk as a child or something?
i actually loved milk, and still do enjoy it, but not as much as atomsk who seems to drink it all the time!

3 sentence review of Ookami anime, go.
i actually never finished ookami. I was only interested in it because the main character looked like a taller taiga. The show was cute but a tad boring for me at times, but i still need to finish it.

Opinions on Melty?
i enjoy watching it, but ive never played it.

Opinions on SSF4 AE?
pumped for it unless mvc3 is just so much better. Little lame that bison got some nerfs but he was godlike so its not a big deal.

Whats **** you see in lucs that you know we get ***** for? :X
playing on autopilot and not thinking situations through

Whats lucario's dumbest MU that isn't DDD.
i personally hate olimar with a passion, but all you wc lucarios think its fine so i dont know what to say lol. Snakes pretty annoying too unless you get that momentum.

Opinion of #lucario?
nobody ever talks when i go in there, so i dont like it. I also hate how it looks lol.

opinion of lucario metagame skype?
i love skype, so i thought this was fun and we should do it more.

Do you think you can get kelvin to get to the metagame skype tommorrow?
i can try but i really dont think he cares about this game or lucario anymore lol

Going to Genesis?
i will try

Favorite lucario playstyles?
trelas is the most fun to watch, while junebug's style is probably the best, so either of them.

best mother game?
mother 3 had the best story/gameplay, but earthbound has always held a place in my heart since i think its charm is better. Both are great games but if i had to answer this without bias, mother 3 would win.

would you pick up ness [again] as a bucketeer secondary w/ G&W in teams?
i picked up ness again just because i really enjoy the character, and i would do the bucket team, but lucario is better for that team anyway.

How good do you think double team is? :awesome:
good in certain situations, bad in most others.

why is diddy gay,
because bananas are ****ing broke.

are you going to miss me in the 6 months im going to be grounded w/ not internet access?
I missed you today. dont do foolish things even though I dont know the entire situation.

I think our weakness [as a character] is time-outs.

Do you agree or disagree?
I think its one of our biggest weaknesses, yeah. cant really catch the fast characters who plan to run for 8 minutes unless you make some really good reads. our aura kinda sucks too. sure we can do some crazy **** before we die but if we dont do the work at first the battle just becomes even more uphill, and the little variables you have to remember when fighting someone is just annoying.
aight I'll bite.

You've played against me and seen me play. What do you think is my biggest flaw with Lucario?
when i watched you at siis4, i hardly saw you use auraspheres. Thats like our best move imo, so i really think you should add more to your game.

What do you think everyone is missing in their Lucario game play in general?
a brain to back up their choices. Im guilty of this too, but if you just slow down, look at your opponents movements and moveset, and think more about which moves would be the best way to punish them, we would all do better.
Zucco;
You've often commented on dropping lucario/needing alts to the point they become a main more than once here and I see the falco main icon is back. Do you think the 'metagame' will change enough in the future such that Lucario would drop to secondary status? After 3 years of brawl, are there any trends you see forming which would actually force you to do so?
tbh, I think the current metagame is enough to make you switch to another character, but nobody plays the game correctly. Lucario has such a problem when it comes to catching fast characters that camp you, but everyone underestimates Lucario and just fights him anyway. When everyone decides to play this game for what it truly is, then yeah I think you will need another character but for now you can beat most people just by being better than them.

Alternatively, what I mean is like are there any characters who you have seen, or believe will have more and more people secondarying them in order to beat you (that isnt mk) or are people sticking to their mains in order to beat your Lucario? (The key word is beat; if everyone uses DDD on you for example, but still loses, that wouldnt say much. Also I think this is the best definition of a 'worst' matchup, not mk, since it factors in the likelihood of losing to one in tournament)
If anyone wants to beat me, they should just use olimar. Im so bad against Olimar and I dont see how other Lucarios say its a good matchup. Other characters people should use against Lucario are d3, Fox, Snake, falco, and maybe marth. This is assuming they know what to do against Lucario and dont mind playing like a ******.
So Zucco, I didn't really give you a lot since I talk to you a lot on AIM, but I guess there's a few things that are cool:

After more recent experiences, what is your stance on Lucario v. MK in terms of how doable it is?
As Ive said many times, People dont play like they should against Lucario, and this holds especially true to mk in my experiences. Very rarely will I find a mk that is willing to run away for 8 minutes, and instead chooses to challenge me. If they actually fight you, its around 45:55-40:60, depending on the stage. If they do run, Its alot worse, and I dont have a number only because it really depends on how much they camp.

What are the fundamentals that you felt changed you from a mid level player (back when you were PK Impact iirc) to more pro-status?
Playing lots of good people as training, having a goal to because a top lucario player, running situations that I might deal with in my head many times till I have the best idea on what to do, ect.

What are your most basic summaries of doubles tools for Lucario (like "this move is a ______ for doing ______") and how do you switch gears or coordinate with a partner more?
I dont really know how to answer this question. I dont consider my moves in doubles to be different in singles, and tend to use them the same way.

What are your favorite local diners in NJ?
I dont really eat at diners lol. Favorite place to eat with smashers is Red Robins though.

Teach me how to slay snake, he's dumb lulz
Get him in the air, never let him down, read his dodging habits and make sure you punish them and not wiff.
Zucco how do you feel about the lucario ditto? I often make the joke of that the lucario that wins the dittor is the bad one.
I hate it, and would choose to go Ness or Falco if I ever had to fight another Lucario in bracket again.
2 - STAUFFY
Are you going to enjoy winning $50 dollars, will that cheer you up?
Silly RR, money can't buy happiness.

How would you rate yourself as a Lucario skillwise?
This is a hard question for me to answer. Even moreso when I've kinda stopped playing.
I'd really hate to overstate my skill and come off as arrogant. But if I understate it people think I'm being overly modest, or worse, assume that I'm fishing for compliments.
But let's look at hard results. In my prime (which I no longer am) I had some wins against some really good Socal pros at various local level tournies, without ever really having one standout placing. I was never a threat at a national or really even at a regional like some other procarios whose names I may or may not have been placed beside were.
Those are facts. If you want to know how good I am(was) you can look at those and decide for yourself. Actions speak louder than words, etc.

I guess that was silly to say, can I fill your dark soul with light?
Bwa ha ha. You can try.

How did you practice with Lucario
Mainly just playing a bunch with people, many of whom were better than me. Living in a region like Socal, and more importantly living within driving distance from players like Havok and Tearbear, is a pretty big advantage for that.
Also, I don't half-*** things in friendlies. I play my friendlies 100% as if it was a tournament set. If you're playing a friendly to practice so that you can do better in tournaments down the line, you can't expect to get the full effect if you play differently between the two environments.

Ever watched The Room?
Nope.

Anything you recommend Lucarios start doing or something they shouldn't be doing, both in game and on the forums?
They shouldn't be playing Lucario?

Well okay now that that's out of the way, don't advocate something when you haven't actually done and gotten a reasonable degree of success with it in actual play first. Also, stop looking in stupid places for some magical answer to dealing with a problem and start looking in the obvious places. If you can't get around some problem it's probably because you're not using Lucario's core moveset well enough, not because you need more gimmicky bull****.
Seriously, the character is a gimmick on its own no matter what you do. No need to add to it.

In LoL who do you like the play as?
Nasus and Twisted Fate have been my favorites. Sion can be a whole lot of fun since they added the Deathcap too.

I haven't really played that much as of late... hmm.

How have I been as a mod for here? I kinda want to know if I should do anything to improve here, and I know your good and being bluntly honest.
Well I haven't seen any issues. Must mean you're doing the job right.

Lucario vs Olimar is something I struggle with a bit, any personal tips on that match-up?
I'm really not good at that matchup lol.
If you really want advice I guess go look at the old MU thread discussions, a lot of the stuff Flamewave said was basically what I tried to teach him about the matchup iirc.

Am I asking too many questions?
Well that's the point of this, isn't it
When did the persona of you being... like.. negative and stuff start? I don't remember you being like this entirely in 08, but I don't remember when you started either, its been bothering me for awhile lol.
By most accounts, around 10 years ago.
There are always ebbs and flows, though, so maybe that's why you're mixed up.

Besides the fact I put time and effort in worthless things and use silly moves and my decision making is quite frankly, less than stellar, what keeps me back in your opinion? you probably know this one better then a lot of people here.
Dude, you basically just asked me what made the opera good besides the music.
Why don't you remedy those problems you just listed first?

Can you go to genesis? I think my life would be almost complete if we would be able to get a stauff - zucco - trela - june - ksizzle + more lucarios picture.
Are all those guys really coming? Isn't Ksizzle done?
Regardless, unless I get some inspiration to go full on in Smash again it'd be silly for me to go.

How the jean jacket become an icon of yours?
Probably because I wear it everywhere.

Nah really, I've been a pretty compulsive jacket-wearer since high school at least. I think that started when I fell in love with Rurouni Kenshin, since my favorite character was always Aoshi and his amazingly badass coat.
I wore a regular green jacket for a while through high school, then later on a regular black jacket. It was around the time I was going to be moving away for university that I spontaneously decided I should try a bit of a wardrobe change, and after a bit of deliberation thought maybe I'd look good in a jean jacket. AND LO AND BEHOLD I DID
This actually happened not that long before I first went to a tournament. What luck, eh?

Whats the story behind the Shuma Gorath avatars orz
Not much of a story I guess. I just think he looks cool.

On the rare occasions when I would play fighting games I traditionally would gravitate towards the exotic-looking and inhuman characters because I found human characters boring. Shuma is about as obvious an example of this as you could get lol.
Also he was a pretty distinguishing symbol for me when I played TF2 so that's kinda stuck with me.

Whats my largest strength as a lucario player? in general? :>
Uhhh, probably creativity. Doing stuff outside the box that nobody expects. I think Havok said something similar that time you played him.
If this sounds like mixed signals from what I'm always telling you it's because you need to learn the time and place for such play.

You found a magic lamp, You have 3 wishes, how do you use them?
I wish for the strength to change the things I can and the patience to accept the things I can't.
Third wish is for a piano to fall on MTI.

Boring and peaceful or exciting and dangerous?
Exciting and dangerous. Nothing worse than boredom.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
+1 browny
+1 Kita
+1 flamumz
+1 Science Guy
+1 dragon

It's so hard to choose ;_;

Edit: whoa hooo! Whoa wait what? Swf has a policy against inappropriateness?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
This is a good idea, if I do say so myself.

Reminds me of the interviews I did with ksizzle/Azen.

also, no, don't interview me. I don't have any videos up for a reason, best I've ever gotten was 9/like 27 lol. I do enough advice/theorycraft stuff on the boards.

I nominate Trela personally. Although Stauffy advice is pretty good too, helped me personally with the Wario/Oli MUs.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
There aren't very many lulu mains to help contribute.. Think the jigz boards have one? They only have like 3 people lol

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
This is a good idea, if I do say so myself.

Reminds me of the interviews I did with ksizzle/Azen.

also, no, don't interview me. I don't have any videos up for a reason, best I've ever gotten was 9/like 27 lol. I do enough advice/theorycraft stuff on the boards.

I nominate Trela personally. Although Stauffy advice is pretty good too, helped me personally with the Wario/Oli MUs.
I dont think he gets that this as much social as it is metagame

about 50/50 each lol

Browny

Smash Hater
ok Zucco wins this round.

Ask away :p feel free to answer em either as they are asked or wait to do a bunch at a time zucco.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Zucco

Smash Master
I dont play too much anymore, but since I think it was cool to be picked, ill answer some questions when I see them.

Its stressful and rewarding at the same time. Living in a region like mine, where every tourney is guaranteed to have national level players(ADHD, Anti, Atomsk, Ally sometimes ect) can be a pain since its such a struggle to get those top placings sometimes. go to a tourney, lose to 2 top players, get like 17th, it feels like crap, but its part of living in a really good region. seeding will never be perfect, and you just gotta get better. The good thing about living here is that it actually is possible to get better due to all the good players that live here. Practice makes perfect and if you have A level players to play every week you are sure to improve(some more than others but you get the point)
Nah I dont think Im the best. Junebug is the best imo. Trela is also really good and I think we are around the same level but have different strengths and weaknesses. Ksizzle quit so I cant say him, and Lee Martin is a much better player than me, so its hard for me to say I have a better Lucario than him either. I dont mind that though, and just let others judge me against all you other lucarios lol.
I think we lose 45:55 or 40:60(probably more towards 40:60), depending on the stage and playstyle of the fox. Its hard for us to catch Fox and most of our moves are unsafe and can get us killed at high %. If all the other foxes played like TKD I think our character wouldn't stand a chance, but lets just be thankful that isn't the case ;)

culexus・wau

How bad/good is my lucario, for reals.

I'm bad at evaluating myself

and now for silly

Why are you shorter then terry?

Did you hate milk as a child or something?

3 sentence review of Ookami anime, go.

Opinions on Melty?

Opinions on SSF4 AE?

Whats **** you see in lucs that you know we get ***** for? :X

Whats lucario's dumbest MU that isn't DDD.

Worst Theorycraft you've heard on the lucario boards?

Opinion of #lucario?

Do you think you can get kelvin to get to the metagame skype tommorrow?

Going to Genesis?

Favorite lucario playstyles?

best mother game?

would you pick up ness [again] as a bucketeer secondary w/ G&W in teams?

How good do you think double team is? :awesome:

thats it for now.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Zucco is cool
I guess, I'm in a minority about Fox.

I think it's even...but the only experience I have had against higher level fox's is Zeton the one time I played him.

Dunno, I think a lot of it is TKD hype but I think very well could be wrong about this.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
aight I'll bite.

You've played against me and seen me play. What do you think is my biggest flaw with Lucario?

What do you think everyone is missing in their Lucario game play in general?

Zucco

Smash Master
how bad/good is my lucario, for reals.
its good, but not great.
its clear you understand the character and what you need to do but i dont think you have enough experience and reaction time to execute it all. I also think you make some weird choices and you should think over lucarios best options in each situation before executing them.
i'm bad at evaluating myself

and now for silly

why are you shorter then terry?
both of my parents are short lol
did you hate milk as a child or something?
i actually loved milk, and still do enjoy it, but not as much as atomsk who seems to drink it all the time!
3 sentence review of ookami anime, go.
i actually never finished ookami. I was only interested in it because the main character looked like a taller taiga. The show was cute but a tad boring for me at times, but i still need to finish it.
opinions on melty?
i enjoy watching it, but ive never played it.
opinions on ssf4 ae?
pumped for it unless mvc3 is just so much better. Little lame that bison got some nerfs but he was godlike so its not a big deal.
whats **** you see in lucs that you know we get ***** for? :x
playing on autopilot and not thinking situations through
whats lucario's dumbest mu that isn't ddd.
i personally hate olimar with a passion, but all you wc lucarios think its fine so i dont know what to say lol. Snakes pretty annoying too unless you get that momentum.
worst theorycraft you've heard on the lucario boards?

Opinion of #lucario?
nobody ever talks when i go in there, so i dont like it. I also hate how it looks lol.
i love skype, so i thought this was fun and we should do it more.
do you think you can get kelvin to get to the metagame skype tommorrow?
i can try but i really dont think he cares about this game or lucario anymore lol
going to genesis?
i will try
favorite lucario playstyles?
trelas is the most fun to watch, while junebug's style is probably the best, so either of them.
best mother game?
mother 3 had the best story/gameplay, but earthbound has always held a place in my heart since i think its charm is better. Both are great games but if i had to answer this without bias, mother 3 would win.
would you pick up ness [again] as a bucketeer secondary w/ g&w in teams?
i picked up ness again just because i really enjoy the character, and i would do the bucket team, but lucario is better for that team anyway.
how good do you think double team is? :awesome:
good in certain situations, bad in most others.

thats it for now.
aight i'll bite.

You've played against me and seen me play. What do you think is my biggest flaw with lucario?
when i watched you at siis4, i hardly saw you use auraspheres. Thats like our best move imo, so i really think you should add more to your game.
what do you think everyone is missing in their lucario game play in general?
a brain to back up their choices. Im guilty of this too, but if you just slow down, look at your opponents movements and moveset, and think more about which moves would be the best way to punish them, we would all do better.
= )

Zucco

Smash Master
Ive never even heard of this game.

but I do want it lol.

Zucco

Smash Master
thanks for the link. Just noticed I didnt answer the theory craft question. to answer, something MTI said.

culexus・wau

why is diddy gay,

are you going to miss me in the 6 months im going to be grounded w/ not internet access?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Do you practice or if not, when you did how did you work on practicing or getting better?

why is diddy gay,

Wait what?

Zucco

Smash Master
why is diddy gay,
because bananas are ****ing broke.
I missed you today. dont do foolish things even though I dont know the entire situation.
I used to practice alot, mainly with dmbrandon, ether, and ninjaedd. dmbrandon would tell me what I was doing wrong all the time, which helped alot when I first started playing since I was pretty bad. nowadays the only practice I would get would be friday nights before a tournament. Usually I stay at Atomsk or dmbrandons house, and we play until we get bored lol.
Cute, and funny. I enjoyed it alot.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Browny

Smash Hater
OK ima end this soon then

Zucco;
You've often commented on dropping lucario/needing alts to the point they become a main more than once here and I see the falco main icon is back. Do you think the 'metagame' will change enough in the future such that Lucario would drop to secondary status? After 3 years of brawl, are there any trends you see forming which would actually force you to do so?

Alternatively, what I mean is like are there any characters who you have seen, or believe will have more and more people secondarying them in order to beat you (that isnt mk) or are people sticking to their mains in order to beat your Lucario? (The key word is beat; if everyone uses DDD on you for example, but still loses, that wouldnt say much. Also I think this is the best definition of a 'worst' matchup, not mk, since it factors in the likelihood of losing to one in tournament)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So Zucco, I didn't really give you a lot since I talk to you a lot on AIM, but I guess there's a few things that are cool:

After more recent experiences, what is your stance on Lucario v. MK in terms of how doable it is?

What are the fundamentals that you felt changed you from a mid level player (back when you were PK Impact iirc) to more pro-status?

What are your most basic summaries of doubles tools for Lucario (like "this move is a ______ for doing ______") and how do you switch gears or coordinate with a partner more?

Zucco

Smash Master
OK ima end this soon then

Zucco;
tbh, I think the current metagame is enough to make you switch to another character, but nobody plays the game correctly. Lucario has such a problem when it comes to catching fast characters that camp you, but everyone underestimates Lucario and just fights him anyway. When everyone decides to play this game for what it truly is, then yeah I think you will need another character but for now you can beat most people just by being better than them.
If anyone wants to beat me, they should just use olimar. Im so bad against Olimar and I dont see how other Lucarios say its a good matchup. Other characters people should use against Lucario are d3, Fox, Snake, falco, and maybe marth. This is assuming they know what to do against Lucario and dont mind playing like a ******.

As Ive said many times, People dont play like they should against Lucario, and this holds especially true to mk in my experiences. Very rarely will I find a mk that is willing to run away for 8 minutes, and instead chooses to challenge me. If they actually fight you, its around 45:55-40:60, depending on the stage. If they do run, Its alot worse, and I dont have a number only because it really depends on how much they camp.
Playing lots of good people as training, having a goal to because a top lucario player, running situations that I might deal with in my head many times till I have the best idea on what to do, ect.
I dont really know how to answer this question. I dont consider my moves in doubles to be different in singles, and tend to use them the same way.
I dont really eat at diners lol. Favorite place to eat with smashers is Red Robins though.
Get him in the air, never let him down, read his dodging habits and make sure you punish them and not wiff.
dfdfdfdfdfd

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Zucco how do you feel about the lucario ditto? I often make the joke of that the lucario that wins the dittor is the bad one.

Browny

Smash Hater
woops I forgot about this.

OK ending this one. vote for who/whatever now. Zucco can answer above questions later and ill edit em in.

culexus・wau

Stauffy

wait off on voting me.

I caused too much drama as of late to be allowed one of these so quickly imo [mixed feelings about how I acted, but its too late to change now and I'm certainly not ashamed of the outcome].

if you still want to put me on a podium though be my guest.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Causing drama (even in the past?) is a excuse to not be interviewed? Are you trying to highlight?

Also seriously, you guys create so much hype over things you forget so quickly...

culexus・wau

Well.

The general consensus of the people I talked about after this backlast have told me that I really should stop inciting all this drama.

so I'm trying to lessen the spread.

but I guess i you're gonna say something like that...

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
This thread goes nowhere if people don't vote.

Way to go people!

Top Bottom