• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe ☆ Super Mario 64 ☆

XACE-K

Smash Master
I didn't have the guts to stay in Big Boo's Haunt for an entire star search... the piano just stamped the stay away sign on my little boy mind
Same with me. The piano just scared me too much. I always wanted to avoid that room. Unfortunately there was a red coin in that room if my memory serves correctly.

My real fear was Shifting Sand Land. I HATED the bird.
I hated that bird too. It was so annoying as a little kid. But I hated the boss mission more because I had no idea how to beat it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Same with me. The piano just scared me too much. I always wanted to avoid that room. Unfortunately there was a red coin in that room if my memory serves correctly.
Yeah, the first time I entered the room to obtain the red coin I was like 'Did that piano just move...?!"

Needless to say, it was pretty scary.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Its funny how the "So long, ____ Bowser" discussion has spread all over the internet. It just shows how bad the sound quality was that people have yet to come to a conclusion. Still, I guess it doesn't really matter what he says since we'll all likely continue to say it the same way (regardless of if it turns out to "eh" or "king").
Bringing this back to topic, what does he actually say? To me it sounds like either "So long, me bowser" or "So long, gay bowser" :/... curious as to what he actually said

UberMario

Smash Master
Really?

I never knew. That's funny, but a little sad too.
Why is it sad? It fits his thieving habits perfectly.

Bringing this back to topic, what does he actually say? To me it sounds like either "So long, me bowser" or "So long, gay bowser" :/... curious as to what he actually said
"So lon-ge Bowser!" It's supposed be his accent (making the "g" in "long" strong rather than light).

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Why is it sad? It fits his thieving habits perfectly.

"So lon-ge Bowser!" It's supposed be his accent (making the "g" in "long" strong rather than light).
Well, Kleptomania is usually associated with having other mental disorders.

So he's crazy.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
People thought it was something other than this? I thought it was really obvious, people, it's Mario games, take things at face value.

/surprised

Patinator

Smash Champion
I always thought it was "So long, King Bowser!". ^^;

Super Mario 64 was... the first game I ever got. When I was like 3. It was a boatload of fun, too... still is. And of course when you're three, you think everything's magical and so the whole game made me 8D all the way through. e_e; I've never gotten all 120 stars, though. Or 150 in the remake... Go ahead, laugh. XD;

UberMario

Smash Master
You can backflip on the "ferris wheel" platforms to skip the Thwomp and land near the stairs.

And you're not an ignoramus for not knowing something unneessary in a game. lol triple negative sentence

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I took that nifty trick as a common sense kind of deal when I noticed
the difference in elevation between the ferris wheel and the above platform was a tad low

And yet it took me forever to find the 8th Red Coin there.

Bowser in the Sky is a charm though. Took me a while to notice the 4 pillars near the end had some remarkable hieroglyphics on them.

UberMario

Smash Master
I think that if there was any evidence that Super Mario 64 was based directly off the scrapped Super Mario FX (a game abandoned early in development [in favor of the N64] for the SNES Super FX chip, like Star Fox or Stunt Race FX), it would have to be the Bowser stages, they remind me so much of Stunt Race FX's model style it's ridiculous.

(SMFX was mentioned by the producers to have existed, but scrapped before any announcements were actually made for it, they said that the SNES would not have the capacity for most levels and would pose constraining limitations on the level design).

Veggi

Smash Champion
You can backflip on the "ferris wheel" platforms to skip the Thwomp and land near the stairs.

And you're not an ignoramus for not knowing something unneessary in a game. lol triple negative sentence
Haha, that brings back memories. XD

I never wanted to deal with that thwomp when I was a kid so I always skipped it.

T-block

B2B TST
Jolly Roger Bay had really good music (the track is called Dire Dire Docks...it's the same song)... I've always loved that song even though I hated water levels back then.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Dire dire docks is a very beautiful song. It was an amazing breath of fresh air after all the peppy, bouncy songs that comprised the sidescrollers' soundtracks.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
This drums in this are SO sick. It's awesome.

And Celebi, all I'm saying is this: PIANO.

B_T

Smash Rookie
I've heard a lot about this. I never had a lot of consoles, and I obviously didn't have a N64, but when I got the DS version I was pretty excited...

...only that I was utterly terrible at it. The game frustrated me so much I stopped playing at around 10 stars. Sigh.

And then I gave it another shot a few months ago, easily getting all 150 stars. Though I gotta admit, Hazy Maze Cave and Rainbow Ride's 100 coin stars are hell.

Good good good game. Now if only my Wii wasn't terrible so I can play some SMG(2)...

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
My favorite Mario platformer of all time. I speedrun this game (used to run it more) and I am just a huge fan of it. I replayed the DS version, but right now, I've been replaying it on WiiU VC.

NintenPunk92

Smash Rookie
Ive been recently making my own mario 64 game by using "Toads Tool 64" its called "Super Mario 64: The Blue Stars" it might take me a while to finish the game and its not a big hack like "Super Mario Star Road" its just somethong i wanted to do for a while. once im done with it i gotta poat the rom file somewhere so that way people can download it. does anybody know any websites> or is there someway i can post it here?
:mario64::mariomelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::mario2::peach::bowser2::wifi::4mario::4peach::4bowser::bomb::bowser::mario::starman::yoshi:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I love this game my big brother said this game is too difficult. i used to hate the rainbow road stage it was a lot of falling i may say.

Last edited:

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Ah...Super Mario 64. One of the games that really got me into video games. Well, more specifically the DS port. I remember when I was a kid and I saw Super Mario 64 for the first time. On Youtube. The year was like, 2008, but despite being made in 1996, my 9-year old mind was blown. I've seen Mario in 3D before, but something about Super Mario 64 really stood out to me. Maybe it was because the video was a speedrun of the game, I dunno.
I admit, there are some things about the game haven't aged very well like the level design looking a little shallow at times like in Rainbow Cruise and Tick Tock Clock, and the camera feeling a bit dated (plus the fact that in the DS version, you control using a d-pad which how in god's name did I get around that as a kid?!), but for a game released in 1996, it's aged very well. The music is fantastic, the levels are fun, the visuals are bright and colorful, the hub-world has full of surprises, and it's worthy for being called one of the most revolutionary video games of all time.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It has been years since I have played Mario 64... but The other day, I got Mario 64 DS. Got all 150 stars within a week. Yet I couldn't get all stars in the N64 port...

Top Bottom