• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“Shenron Grants Goku’s Wish” Dragon Ball Z Series Analysis

Hello and welcome to Dragon Ball Z Series Analysis as potential downloadable content within a Fighter Pass. Previously, we looked at Goku and how he could play as a fighter. In this part, we will look at what kind of content Dragon Ball Z could come in Smash.

79E5049E-65B7-4990-AED9-A81257B5CC6C.jpeg

Dragon Ball Z Stage

7913D8DE-8C68-460A-B926-AC8897CF6463.png

Namek

Dragon Ball Z has plenty of iconic and important recurring locations like the World’s Martial Arts Tournament, Kami’s Lookout, and the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. The World’s Martial Arts Tournament was almost chosen but it was passed up due to how many stadium-like stages there are. Instead, Namek was chosen due to how iconic it is to the series. This was where Goku finally embraced his ancestry and became a Super Saiyan and where Frieza was defeated for the first time; which fulfilled the prophecy of his eventual demise.

CACD41D1-067A-4B59-9240-DD08EC93AB69.jpeg

Namek as a stage would have all the visuals of its anime counterpart including the green sky and blueish-green islands and water. It has three separate islands with the middle one being the taller one with two tiers to it. The right island has the space ship that Goku used to get to Namek. Players can stand on and even destroy it to deal large amounts of damage to other players. Frieza’s Ship will come from time to time again to hover to the left of the stage. Players can use this to jump onto, like the Flying Saucer on Fourside. Players can drown in the water so be careful before jumping in.

Cameos also appear in the background. Cameos are separated by a theme which are Heroes, Saiyans, and Villains. All of them won’t appear at once and the number of cameos per match range from 3 to 4.

For the Heroes
For the Saiyans
For the villains
EC21702B-4BF0-4C64-8141-4E8873C6A062.jpeg

The villain's version is unique because the stage changes to “Destroyed Namek”. The stage properties don’t change, but the background is far more destructive with lightning storms and ash filling the air. This version is based on Namek’s last moments after taking a direct hit by Frieza during his battle with Super Saiyan Goku.

While these cameos don’t make particular sense when canon is concerned - games like Dragon Ball FighterZ also bends these “rules”. Seeing Cell and Broly on Namek might seem strange, but since when did Smash follow continuity rules?

Dragon Ball Z Mii Outfits

C9B70B99-8522-402D-87BD-B9F0E3FE5284.png

There are so many great ideas that it was hard to choose. Some outfits that was considered were Frieza, Great Saiyaman, Great Ape, Broly, Super Buu, and a Soldier in the Frieza’s Force. That being said, I chose what I felt was the most iconic and popular outfits from the series.

Turtle School Uniform Mii Brawler

2A93FD34-AD02-4C15-9A30-579B882AC0CF.jpeg

The Turtle School is a martial arts school founded by the Kame Senin, Master Roshi, where characters such as Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha trained. The uniform has an orange gi and a blue undershirt with the kanji for “turtle” (亀) displayed on it. While Goku’s children would also sport the orange and blue outfit, Gohan would instead use the kanji “demon” while Goten would forgo any kanji symbol; turtle or otherwise. This is an iconic uniform and works well for the Mii Brawler.

Saiyan Battle Armor Mii Brawler

99792F15-51B6-4323-A185-3A8473554993.jpeg

If the Turtle School is the most iconic, this has to be the second. The Saiyan Battle Armor is the preferred set of protective gear for any battle-hungry Saiyans. Many fighters have worn this armor - not just Vegeta. Even Goku and Gohan have worn this armor when training during the Cell Saga. Future Trunks wore it because his father, Vegeta, had already died in Trunk’s timeline. Fun fact: even though this is attributed to the Saiyans, it’s actually the default armor for soldiers in the Frieza Force. This outfit would look amazing on the Mii Brawler.

Piccolo Mii Brawler

6469F0A8-01CC-4955-90FB-DA14E8B26AFE.jpeg

Moving to another iconic outfit is our enemy-turned-friend Piccolo. This Namekian often wears a distinctive heavy white turban and cloak. When he removes it, Piccolo gains a drastic increase in power and speed but isn’t the case for the Mii Brawler. His student, Gohan, even wears a similar outfit during the Cell Saga which further shows how significant this costume is.

Cell Mii Brawler

3886A1AF-8793-436D-B673-7CBCDD5E8EF2.jpeg

This outfit is from a popular villain. Cell was the ultimate android created by Dr. Gero, a scientist who held a grudge against Goku for defeating the Red Ribbon Army when Goku was a kid. He created Cell using the genetic data of fighters like Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, and even Frieza. This version of Cell would be based on his Perfect form, which he took after absorbing both Android 17 and 18 before the Cell Games.

Future Trunks Mii Swordfighter

25CD07AC-692D-476E-BFB0-1EF7366A3F0F.jpeg

Future Trunks is the son of Vegeta and Bulma from an alternate timeline. He traveled to the current timeline using a time machine created by his mother to warn the fighters of the impending Android attack. In his timeline, Androids 17 and 18 killed every fighter on Earth, leaving only him after Gohan was eventually killed. Not only was Future Trunks the second character able to go Super Saiyan after Goku in the series, but he is also proficient as a Swordfighter. Having a Future Trunks Mii Fighter in his base form would be fun, but having his Super Saiyan form as well would be an even better treat.

Dragon Ball Z Spirit and Spirit Battles

Vegeta

E8F34CCC-155E-44FB-83A7-31C0B6E959F5.jpeg

Spirit Info
Type: Primary/Attack
Class: :starman::starman::starman:
Ability: Hyper Smash Attacks

Spirit Battle
Character:
:ultryu: (Blue), Giant :ultdk:
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Rules: Stamina Battle
Conditions
  • The opponent has increased attack damage
  • Favors using the Neutral Special
  • The second fighter will arrive after the first fighter is defeated.
Vegeta is the Prince of the Saiyans and was originally Goku’s enemy and rival. They still butt heads occasionally, but Vegeta has come to recognize Goku’s skills and abilities. He has become a main character and, unarguably, the second main character of the series.

The inspiration for the Spirit Battle comes from Vegeta’s overall strength, while Ryu’s Hadoken is a direct reference to Vegeta's Galick Gun. Donkey Kong references how Vegeta transforms into his Giant Ape form in his first battle against Goku. Finally, Gerudo Valley as the stage draws from the desert-like location that Vegeta and Goku fought at.

Oolong

44BB4051-2B95-46C7-80A7-02743720A755.jpeg

Spirit Info
Type:
Support
Class: :starman:
Ability: Transformation Duration ↑

Spirit Battle
Character:
:ultjigglypuff:,:ultbrawler: (Pig Outfit if the Mii Brawler costume was purchased)
Stage: Smashville
Rules: Stock Match
Conditions
  • The opponent experiences sporadic transformations such as Giant, Tiny, and Metal
  • The opponent is highly distracted by items
Oolong is a shape-shifting pig famous for his greed, perversion, and general cowardice. Oolong can be brave when needed, however. While he initially met Goku and Bulma in Dragon Ball, he became one of the good guys and quickly became friends with Goku.

Inspiration comes from how both Oolong and Jigglypuff are small, pink, and a little pudgy. If the Minecraft Pig Outfit was purchased, then this is used instead. Jigglypuff’s transformation is also a reference to Oolong’s own transformation ability. Jigglypuff being easily distracted is a nod to how money and women’s undergarments easily distract Oolong. Finally, Smashville is a reference to where Goku and Bulma first met Oolong.

Frieza

272A5126-6726-4744-AB4F-811B8F0FED89.png

Spirit Info
Type:
Primary/Grab
Class: :starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:
Ability: Enhanceable at lvl 99 / Special-Move Power ↑

Spirit Battle
Character:
:ultmewtwo:
Stage: Namek (Destroyed)
Rules: Stamina Match
Conditions
  • The opponent has increased projectile damage
  • The opponent has increased launch resistance
  • The opponent taunts a lot
  • The opponent randomly gains a Final Smash
Frieza is an evil emperor from a long line of villains. He is one of the more powerful beings in the universe and controls a vast criminal empire. He once used the Saiyans for his dirty work but eventually wiped them out, though a few, like Vegeta and Goku, survived. Frieza would fight Goku on Namek where Goku became a Super Saiyan after the death of Krillin. In Dragon Ball Z: - Resurrection ‘F’ and Super, Frieza would show off his new Golden Frieza form.

Inspiration draws on how Mewtwo and Frieza have similar features, skin color, and telekinetic abilities. Mewtwo’s increased projectile damage and launch resistance is a reference to Frieza’s Death Ball and his endurance and resilience. Mewtwo randomly gaining a Final Smash is a nod to how he could transform to gain more power. Frieza is infamous for taunting and mocking his opponents, which Mewtwo also does often during the match.

Fat Buu

3C1DBB29-5844-459B-9673-1A185F2E6020.jpeg

Spirit Info
Type:
Primary/Shield
Ability: Stats ↑ ↑ after Eating

Spirit Battle
Character:
Giant :ultkirby:
Stage: Gaur Plain
Conditions
  • The opponent favors using the Neutral Special
  • The opponent periodically heals
  • Items occasionally rains onto the stage
  • The opponent is highly distracted by items

Fat Buu isn’t exactly an evil Buu. Fat Buu came into being when Kid Buu devoured a jovial, kind yet powerful god while Kid Buu was running rampant in the galaxy. This caused Buu to become rotund and jovial, albeit with a naughty and slightly evil side. Fat Buu and Majin Buu would become two separate entities after Fat Buu was expelled out during the Majin Buu Saga. This version of Buu would help fight against his evil counterparts and even befriend the hero of the world, Hercule, Mr. Satan.

Inspiration for the Spirit Match draws on Buu’s ability to transform people into food and eat them to gain their powers. Kirby has a similar ability, and being a Giant version further drives his similarities to Fat Buu. Both Kiby and Fat Buu are often easily distracted by food for various reasons. Guar Plain is a nod to the rural and remote area where Fat Buu fights the Z Fighters.

Bulma

AADBE8CE-9966-4009-B6B3-E0321B54ADCB.png

Spirit Info
Type:
Support
Class: :starman::starman:
Ability: Improved Escape

Spirit Battle

Character:
Wii Fit Trainer
Stage: Tomodachi Life
Rules: Timed battle (2 minutes)
Conditions
  • The opponent avoids conflict
  • The opponent is easily distracted by items
Bulma is the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Briefs who own Capsule Corporation. Bulma is smart and resourceful but she can be a little self-obsessed; especially during the Namek Saga. Bulma is one of Goku’s oldest friends and was the reason why he first started his journey. Throughout the series, she would aid the fighters and eventually even marry Vegeta where they have a son named Trunks together.

Inspiration for the match is on how both the Wii Fit Trainer and Bulma maintain a trim figure throughout their series. Also, some in the series claimed she has a rather cookie-cutter personality and Wii Fit Trainer and their alts seems very “one size fits all”. She often tries to avoid getting blasted during fights between the heroes and villains; especially during the Namek Saga. Items distracting opponents are based on how Bulma is always looking for the Dragon Balls. Tomodachi Life is a loose reference to her home, Capsule Corp.

Master Roshi

5E354657-BA77-4E91-AAE7-D8636E3EC36E.jpeg

Spirit Info
Type:
Support
Ability: Critical Health Stars Double Increase

Spirit Battle

Character:
:ultbrawler:, :ultsquirtle:
Stage: Tortimer’s Island
Rules: Stock Match
Conditions
  • Squirtle moves slowly and avoids conflict
  • KOing Squirtle will disqualify the match
  • Mii Brawler attack power increases when badly damaged
  • Mii Brawler Final Smash will activate during this time
Master Roshi is the founder of the Turtle Style School and the teacher of Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha. He is the creator of the Kamehameha, which took most of his life to master, yet Goku did it instantly, much to Roshi’s surprise. Roshi has always been a supportive member of Earth’s mightiest forces and often provides comic relief and sage advice.

Inspiration for the match comes from how Roshi can increase his strength and size slightly when using his Kamehameha. Squirtle’s presence is a reference to both the Turtle Style School plus Turtle, Roshi’s best friend. Tortimer’s Island is an obvious nod to the Kame House where Roshi lives.

Gotenks

Spirit Info
Type:
Primary/Grab
Ability: Additional Midair Jump

Spirit Battle
Character:
:ultness:, :ultlucas:
Stage: Fountain of Dreams
Rules: Stamina Time Match (30 minutes)
Conditions
  • Defeat both opponents at the same time
  • Opponent favors using specials
  • Opponents taunt often
Gotenks is the end result of Goten and Trunks after they perform an ancient fusion dance. This drastically increases their power level and adds a whole new set of moves for the character. Gotenks may be strong but he has a behavior problem.

Inspiration comes from both Ness and Lucas being kids while the stage reflects the place where they trained for the Fusion, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. The match is the longest spirit match in the entire game and clocks in at 30 minutes, but it’s possible to KO the characters to win it. This is because the fusion lasts only 30 minutes. I based the player having to defeat both fighters at the same time on how, technically, Ness and Lucas are one person (Gotenks). The pair favoring specials and taunting often is a tribute to Gotenks character and personality.

Ginyu Force

7A1416F5-B768-4AEA-A265-B2FD8ECB00FC.jpeg

Spirit Info
Type:
Support
Class: :starman::starman::starman::starman:
Ability: Team Power Up

Spirit Battle
Character
: :ultjigglypuff: (Green), :ultincineroar: (Blue), :ultsonic:, :ultken:, :ultfalcon: (Purple)
Stage: Namek
Conditions
  • Defeat each opponent one after another
  • Each individual opponent gains a stat increase after the previous one was defeated.
  • Every character taunts often
  • Jigglypuff favors using Sing
  • Incineroar has increased attack damage and has super armor
  • Sonic and Ken have increased speed
  • During the fight with Captain Falcon, the screen will occasionally mirror itself.
The Ginyu Force is Frieza’s five-person elite combat squad. They are Guldo (the green one who can stop time by holding his breath), Recoome (the red-haired one who has immense strength and endurance), Burter (the tall blue alien), Jeice (the red-skinned, white-haired alien), and finally, Captain Ginyu (the purple-skinned alien with horns).

Inspiration is taken from each of the Ginyu Force member’s own unique abilities. While Guldo doesn’t sing, he can immobilize his opponents while holding his breath, so Jigglypuff using Sing is rather similar. Incineroar having high attack damage and super armor is a reference to Recoome’s resilience and strength. Sonic and Ken fight together much like Burter and Jeice, and have increased speed. Captain Falcon represents Captain Ginyu. The stage occasionally mirroring itself comes from Captain Ginyu’s ability to switch bodies. Finally, the fact every character taunts often is influenced by how the force often poses and dances.

Dragon Ball Z Music

We Gotta Power! - Dragon Ball Z

Unmei no Hi ~Tamashii tai Tamashii~ (Theme of Gohan Super Saiyan 2) - Dragon Ball Z

The Fearsome Ginyu Force - Dragon Ball Z

Solid State Scouter - Dragon Ball Z: Bardock: The Father of Goku

The Ultimate Battle - Dragon Ball Super

World Tournament Theme - Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1

Battle Theme (Daybreak Battle) - Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3

Super Survivor (Theme of “Sparking! Meteor!”) - Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Planet Namek - Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse

Hyperbolic Time Chamber Stage - Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2

Dragon Ball FighterZ Theme - Dragon Ball FighterZ

Frieza’s Theme - Dragon Ball FighterZ

Broly’s Theme - Dragon Ball FighterZ

Cha-La Head-Cha-La - Dragon Ball Z

Outside of the Fighter Pass

Items: Senzu Beans

38700A8D-7A93-4D21-8E91-18F5038FB3CC.jpeg

These magical beans are grown by the wise, talking cat known as Korin. When eaten, these beans provide a much-needed health boost. They are light-weight and easy to store, making it quite the lifesaver. The beans are a health-restoring item and can restore up to 80% health while also removing potentially harmful effects like poison, slow motion, and other effects. They are hard to spot on the ground due to its small size.

Dragon Balls

B151800A-0E97-4C95-8826-C9EBEF8F50E5.jpeg

These magical balls can grant any wish after someone collects all seven and brings them together. After enchanting the incantation, the dragon, Shenron, will appear and implores the summoner to speak their wish. In Smash, they would be a collectible item like the Dragoon. After all Seven Dragon Balls are collected, the stage darkens and Shenron appears in the background. Much like Hero’s Down Special Command List, players can select which wish they want Shenron to grant them. Six of the wishes would be available at one time. These include:

A57DB12E-F533-4185-A46A-51D42B8F773A.jpeg

• “Shenron, give me the ultimate strength!” (Attack buff)
  • “Shenron, give me the speed of the four winds!” (Speed buff)
  • “Shenron, grant me the ultimate defense!” (defense buff)
  • “Shenron, bequeath to me the power to withstand blows!” (Launch resistance buff)
  • “Shenron, give me a spring to my step!” (Jump buff)
  • “Shenron, I need a final Smash!” (Instant Final Smash)
  • “Shenron, heal me of my wounds!” (100% healing)
  • “Shenron, soften my foes blows!” (Nerf opponent’s attacks)
  • “Shenron, make my foe slow as molasses!” (Nerf opponent’s speed)
  • “Shenron, allow me to cleave into my opponents!” (Nerf opponent’s defense)
  • “Shenron, fill my opponent’s shoes with rocks!” (Nerf opponent’s jump)
  • “Shenron, give me an advantage!” (adds 100% to foe’s health)
  • “Shenron, grant me an extra life!” (Adds a stock or a point)
  • “Shenron, make me invincible!!” (Gains momentary invincibility)
  • “Shenron, grant me an item!” (gives an item)
  • “Shenron, I’m terrible at choosing so you choose!” (random)
  • ”Shenron, forgive me, for I have forgotten my wish! I have no need for a wish!” (No wish is granted and Shenron departs.)

Assist Trophy

Dragon Ball Z has plenty of characters to choose from, but I ultimately chose Frieza considering how iconic and important he is. After appearing, Frieza laughs and says, “It’s you who will be one who diiiiiies! Haha haha!” He then flies into the air and creates his patented Death Ball. Frieza takes the Death Ball and flings it down onto the stage. Upon smashing into the stage, it will deal high damage and electrocutes the floor and platforms after the initial explosion.

Closing

It shouldn’t be surprising that there’s a lot of vitriol whenever someone mentions Goku and Smash in one sentence. This is because most of the community agrees that Smash is only for video game characters. Director Masahiro Sakurai has reiterated this point in various interviews and statements about not adding the likes of Goku, Iron Man, and other “fourth party characters”. It can’t be said, however, that Goku hasn’t had a significant presence in video games, and Dragon Ball Z games have been an integral part of the gaming community for decades. Bringing Goku into Smash wouldn’t be just adding another character, it would be bringing it several decades of content spanning between anime, manga, video games, music, merchandise, and more. While it’s easy to have a kneejerk reaction to Goku in Smash, it’s still fun to consider the possibilities it could bring.

Credits
Editing
: @Sari , @Thirdkoopa
Graphics: @Zerp , Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Social Media: @Zerp
Sources: Dragon Ball Z Wiki

Author’s Note: I would be thrilled to see Dragon Ball content and having Goku playable would be the strawberry on top of the cake. That being said, he would probably cause lots of division in the community and I shiver at the thought of suppoet tnreads for Batman, Fred Flintstone, Rambo, and Darth Vader being made here on the site.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

Another great writeup! The only issue I see with this and is something that is purely a taste thing is the lack of Dragon Ball Super Representation. I think some cameos or spirits from Super would be a good addition.

Last edited:
I know Sakurai said Goku won't be in, but wouldn't it be so cool if Goku was Challenger Pack 11 to wrap up the development of Smash Ultimate? Sakurai has said some things in the past to "deconfirm" characters that he ended up adding in Ultimate, so it's not completely impossible.

Top Bottom