• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“Lloyd Unites Smash” Lloyd Irving and Tales Smash Analysis

Welcome to the second article of Smashboards Character Analysis! These articles will not be looking at why a character is or isn’t likely, so please do not expect that going in. Instead, they will focus on how a character might play in Smash and how their series might be represented within the boundaries of the Fighter Pass. Previously, I focused on Doom Slayer and his game. This will be a two part series that focuses on Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia.

”Lloyd Unites Smash!” A Lloyd Character Analysis

3562684A-1341-46AF-8780-EC703E366F55.jpeg

Introduction to Tales of Symphonia and Lloyd Irving

519BE776-A78E-465D-975F-0D7407ED3AED.png

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest may be responsible for starting the role-playing game genre, but there is one series that helped it grow: the Tales series. This series first appeared on the Super Nintendo with Tales of Phantasia and spawned sixteen main titles, with a new one coming in 2020. It deviated from traditional RPG turn-based battles to a linear motion battle system which allows players to freely move and attack. This was used a wide variety of RPG games including recent Final Fantasy. The series has grown larger over the years. Tales of Symphonia is the fifth game in the series and is largely seen as its break-out title in the West.

Lloyd Irving Character Overview

E4945359-79C5-451B-9858-6115DBE975BA.jpeg

Lloyd Irving is the protagonist of Tales of Symphonia and is central to the story’s plot. Raised by his adoptive dwarven father, Lloyd travels with his good friend and “Chosen One,” Colette Brunel, as she sets off to save their dying world of Sylverant. Joining them is Lloyd's best friend Genis Sage, their teacher Raine Sage (who is also Genis’ sister), and the mysterious mercenary Kratos Aurion. Other members also join such as the flamboyant Zelos Wilder, a ninja named Sheena Fujibayashi, Regal Bryant the convict, and the ever quiet Presea Combatr. Together they learn about the mysteries of Sylverant and the alternate world, Tethe’alla, and those who control the worlds from the shadows.

In battle, Lloyd wields two swords, and his main focus is to link his attacks together to create powerful combos. Like in Smash, Tales of Symphonia's gameplay revolves around defeating opponents using a variety of attacks and techniques. Many of Lloyd’s attacks are about dealing multiple hits but lack the killing power of other characters. He can’t KO at low percentages and has to concentrate on racking up high amounts of damage quickly before trying to kill an opponent. In his game, Lloyd accessed different variations of his techniques by leveling up and meeting certain conditions. I tried adding this into his move set but decided not to as it felt awkward and unnatural. Technical Points, or TP, that are spent to perform powerful techniques and are a staple of the series. I decided to not include them in order to differentiate him from Hero. Without those character gimmicks, Lloyd is a rather straight-forward fighter who focuses on using an all-out offense while dealing multiple hits with his dual blades.

Lloyd Irving Specials and Final Smash

3F7AB0F5-FA8C-4D48-85C3-7B0CD7DE7CE7.png

Neutral Special: Demon Fang/Fierce Demon Fang

7ABDD2B5-DE2C-48B3-9835-70A4A766C81E.gif

Demon Fang is the first Arte that Lloyd learns, and it’s a mainstay within the Tales series. It’s a projectile fired from Lloyd’s blade that travels along the ground. It’s not particularly strong, but it's fairly safe to toss out and would be a good mind game tactic due to its low trajectory. It would function much like Cloud’s Beam Blade and Terry's Power Wave. In Tales of Symphonia, Lloyd couldn’t perform it in midair, so a more short-ranged variant such as Fierce Demon Fang would work fine. This is what happened with Terry, and considering it’s canon for Lloyd, it would make sense to give its aerial version the same treatment. Demon Fang wouldn’t be that strong with each attack dealing between 5-8%. The aerial version could be slightly stronger as a nod to the source material.

Side Special: Sword Rain

B9D3F23E-3B3D-4725-B6E3-C8C38A28CB04.gif

(Minus the Beta)

Lloyd launches a flurry of sword thrusts using his dual blades. This move would work well as both a combo starter or finisher because of its quick startup and attack speed. While this isn’t true to the source material, it would be a nice addition if mashing the special button during the attack animation increases the attack duration slightly. The attack does mediocre damage, but the sheer amount of attacks helps it rack up damage quickly. Each sword strike would do about 1.2% per hit with the attack landing 12 hits maximum. It could also help Lloyd stuff out approaches due with a massive wall of sword strikes.

Up Special: Tempest

3BBD5569-0B16-41D1-8374-B4155A32FF97.jpeg

This move is also called Tempest Strike. Lloyd jumps into the air, does several aerial somersaults, and slashes around him while airborne. The movement of this attack propels Lloyd at a forward diagonal angle, which gives him a great up special for both damage output and recovery ability. The attack has multiple hit boxes and deals around 4.4% per hit. However, it has the ability to trap and carry opponents while traveling thus increasing the number of hits. When I was planning Lloyd, Tempest was a toss up between Rising Falcon and Tiger Blade, which are two other techniques. In Rising Falcon, he jumps into the air and then strikes down at an angle. I decided to forgo this as I felt like it was too close to Terry’s Power Dunk. Tiger Blade is where Lloyd jumps straight into the air, does two slashes and then a final downward slash attack. While a good attack, I felt Tempest was the better recovery move due to the distance it covers and its hitbox radius.

Down Special: Beast

3BBF32BA-0A17-4490-8B3D-69D3B7EEF820.gif

(Mostly the same minus spinning around with an axe)

Most of Lloyd’s moves focuses on utilizing rapid and sudden sword strikes in quick succession to rack up damage. Beast would be very different, it’s his most powerful move and has good killing potential. He slams his shoulder forward, releasing an energy blast in the shape of a lion. While the damage output is mediocre, it’s excellent at launching opponents even at low percentages and works great as a combo finisher to guarantee a kill. The shoulder slam could deal about 3% damage with the subsequent energy blast dealing up to 10% depending on how far the opponent is away.

Final Smash: Unison Attack

In order to capture the concept of the “party team,'' I decided to go with Unison Attack. This consists of several attacks performed by the whole party. When starting off, Lloyd will rush forward and strike, which catches the opponent in the Final Smash. There are two options that are randomly chosen prior:

Option A includes Collete, Raine, Genis, and Kratos. Collete performs Angel Feathers, causing pink feathers to strike the opponent multiple times. Raine then unleashes Holy Lance, which stabs the opponent multiple times with spears of light. Kratos then steps forward and casts Judgement, which sends out dozens of beams of light which crash into the opponent. Shortly following this, Genis summons Meteor Storm and hurls several meteors from the heavens into the opponent.

Option B includes Sheena, Zelos, Presea, and Regal. Regal rushes forward and performs Crescent Dark Moon where he kicks three times followed by a jumping crescent kick. Presea then appears and does Eternal Devastation, flipping and slamming her giant axe down into the ground onto the opponent. Zelos then comically rushes forward and flamboyantly casts Judgement, same as Kratos in Option A. Sheena then appears through a puff of smoke. She then uses Demon Seal, which causes a flurry of cards to spin around the opponent; damaging them all the while.

Regardless of which option is chosen, Lloyd will do the same attack at the end. Lloyd rushes forward and performs Falcon Crest. He summons the Material Blades and unleashes a spiraling wave of magic, which launches the opponent up. Following them upward, Lloyd merges the two swords into one, creating the Eternal Sword. He then charges his attack and performs a powerful slash attack downwards. This deals multiple hits of damage before launching the opponent or even possibly meteor smashing them. It would be a nice touch that, upon activating Falcon Crest, his original character banner shows up instead of his Ultimate one.

Classic Mode: Journey of Smash

In Tales of Symphonia, Lloyd and the party have to awaken the Summon Spirits to complete the Journey of Rejuvenation and, later, form pacts with said Spirits. This is in order for Lloyd to finally unite the two worlds of Sylvarant and Tethe'alla. The characters and stages that were chosen resemble the Summon Spirit and the area where they were battled.

Round 1 - Vs. :ultbowser:
Gerudo Valley

References the first Summon Spirit, Efreet, who is the Spirit of Fire. It is fought in the Triet Ruins, a massive underground shrine located in the desert.

Round 2- Vs. :ultcorrinf:
Delfino Plaza

Based on the second Summon Spirit, Undine, who is the spirit of water. Undine is fought in the Thoda Geyser, which is a part of a tourist hot springs resort.

Round 3 - Vs. :ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultcharizard:
Skyloft

Based on the third Summon Spirit, Sylph, who is composed of three separate beings. Together, they are the Summon Spirit of wind. Each one wields a different weapon; a sword, a shield, and a bow. Fight the trio on top of the Balacruf Mausoleum.

Round 4 - Vs. :ultpikachu:
Find Mii

References the fourth Summon Spirit, Volt, the Spirit of lightning. It is a being composed of pure lightning, which slightly resembles Volt Tackle. It’s fought in the main room of the Temple of Lightning.

Round 5 -:ultpalutena::ultfalco:
Yggdrasil's Altar

Based off the final Summon Spirits, the Spirits of Light pair, Luna and Aska They are both fought on the top of the Tower of Mana and were the last ones fought.

Round 6 Vs :ultchrom::ultroy::ultmarth::ultike:
Green Greens

Slightly based off of Origin, the master of the summon spirits. He wields a sword in each of his four arms. He is fought in Torrent Forest, which rests in the hidden elven village of Heimdall. Kratos was also previously fought here by the party.

Final Round - Vs. Master Hand
Final Destination

While Master Hand may not physically resemble the end boss, Mithos Yggdrasil; it is still a divine being with immeasurable power and has had a “hand” in shaping the events in the game much like Mithos.

Victory Animations

One aspect about all Tales games are the interactive ending victory screens where party members have a small conversation. It would be amazing if other party members appeared rather than a traditional victory screen. Characters such as Genis, Collete, Raine, Kratos, and Presea could show up and provide interesting commentary! How cool would it be if the Dwarven vows showed up! Genis could say “Justice and love will always win!” with Lloyd replying, "I always hated that one."

Victory Theme

Lloyd Dialog

One unique aspect I think would be appropriate for Lloyd would be additional dialog for various character Gameplay elements, such as his entrance animations, being defeated, and so on. For example, when he first enters a fight or after respawning, he could say “Don’t let up!” or “Give it all you got!” After being KO’d, he could say “I’m sorry everyone…” or “I’m sorry, Dad.” When he KO’s an opponent, he could say “Eat this!”or “Out of my sight!” If another opponent respawns, he might say “Reinforcements, huh?” and, if he’s against many opponents, his line could be “Wow, there’s a lot of them!” Finally, when on a team, he could also say “Let’s go, guys!” or “I’m counting on you guys!” These are all quotes that could be taken from the source and repurposed for Smash, making it quite easy to implement!

Alternate Costumes

98D883EC-CC9D-4DF9-BA3B-4DA9D657D5E7.png

Red - Default
Yellow - Based on Colette
Purple - Based on Kratos
Blue - Based on Genus
Pink - Based on Presea
Black - Based on Yuri Lowell
White - His Noble Costume
Tan - His Swimwear Costume

Closing

That finishes Part 1 of the Lloyd Irving and Tales of Symphonia analysis. The Tales series is a huge series spanning multiple generations. While Lloyd is just one of many protagonists of the series, he is seen as being the main one, both in Japan and the West. Next time, we will take a look at Tales of Symphonia content within the Fighter Pass!

Author’s Note: I hope I did Lloyd and Tales justice in part one of my character and series analysis. Did you agree with how the character was implemented? Was there anything else you wanted to see? Let us know below!

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

Honestly, this is beautifully done.The only thing I would change is swap tempest to side b, it could be a move to charge up, similar to Ike’s side-b. Sending him flying across the stage. Also with this swap, make his jab attack be sword rain if you hold the button down. Thank you so much for taking some time to highlight our boy Lloyd here. Been wanting Lloyd in smash since brawl days. Really hoping he’s in the new pass for ultimate !

Last edited:
It's either him or Yuri.
One of them is definitely getting in.
Also, if it's Tower of Mana, I wouldn't say Yggdrasil's Altar because dlc staged are not in classic mode unless if it's the character from the same universe. I say the BOTW stage.

D
This is awesome, Perfect representation of him from the series and really well done analysis. I think he'd be a great fun swordsman character that'd bring something fun and a unique move set.

This moveset is exactly the same as literally every other anime sword character in the game. Enough.

There is NOTHING interesting being explored here, mechanically or otherwise. This strikes me as just another "bloat the numbers" character that people want just to have him in, regardless of whether he contributes any actually interesting gameplay or not.

Last edited:
Preface, I love the Tales series and would love Lloyd or any of the tales protags (Yuri, Asbel, Sorey, Jude / Milla, Velvet, or even Alphen / Shionne from Arise). I've played just about all of them Gamecube era onward. That said, unless they made him have some really unique mechanic, the moveset you listed above is almost a Mii Fighter build 1|3, 1, 1, 2.

Demon Fang would look like Gale Strike (Neutral 1) in execution with Terry's neutral B instead of the whirlwind coming out. So basically Terry's Neutral B.
Sword Rain is literally Blurring Blade (Neutral 3) without the chargeup and fire.
Tempest is literally Airborne Assault (Side 1).
Beast, while visibly a bit different, seems to function similarly to Power Thrust (Down 3).
While not listed in yours, Tiger Blade is a less vertical Stone Scabbard (Up 1).

Don't get me wrong, I think he'd still be fun, but he really feels like he would need a different mechanic or something to make him not feel like a 1112 / 3112 Swordfighter.

Honestly, this is beautifully done.The only thing I would change is swap tempest to side b, it could be a move to charge up, similar to Ike’s side-b. Sending him flying across the stage. Also with this swap, make his jab attack be sword rain if you hold the button down. Thank you so much for taking some time to highlight our boy Lloyd here. Been wanting Lloyd in smash since brawl days. Really hoping he’s in the new pass for ultimate !
That was something is was considering but, since I don’t go into the normals for sake of time, space, and not loosing readers, I didn’t mention this. I can for sure see Sword Rain being mapped to the jab infinite and, instead, the side special bring Sonic Thrust. I stand by keeping Tempest as the Up special as I think it would be an interesting recovery move that we don’t often see. His other options seemed rather lackluster in my opinion.

It's either him or Yuri.
One of them is definitely getting in.
Also, if it's Tower of Mana, I wouldn't say Yggdrasil's Altar because dlc staged are not in classic mode unless if it's the character from the same universe. I say the BOTW stage.
I see. For the sake of making things interesting, I’ll probably keep it but it’s something I'll consider changing.

This moveset is exactly the same as literally every other anime sword character in the game. Enough.

There is NOTHING interesting being explored here, mechanically or otherwise. This strikes me as just another "bloat the numbers" character that people want just to have him in, regardless of whether he contributes any actually interesting gameplay or not.
That’s entirely your own opinion and you are entitled to it but I based the moveset entirely on his representation in the Tales series. There are mechanics within that series which would be difficult to translate into Smash including the TP system which, to me, would seem too much like Hero. So chose a more down-to-earth and simple because that’s what kind of character Lloyd is.

Preface, I love the Tales series and would love Lloyd or any of the tales protags (Yuri, Asbel, Sorey, Jude / Milla, Velvet, or even Alphen / Shionne from Arise). I've played just about all of them Gamecube era onward. That said, unless they made him have some really unique mechanic, the moveset you listed above is almost a Mii Fighter build 1|3, 1, 1, 2.

Demon Fang would look like Gale Strike (Neutral 1) in execution with Terry's neutral B instead of the whirlwind coming out. So basically Terry's Neutral B.
Sword Rain is literally Blurring Blade (Neutral 3) without the chargeup and fire.
Tempest is literally Airborne Assault (Side 1).
Beast, while visibly a bit different, seems to function similarly to Power Thrust (Down 3).
While not listed in yours, Tiger Blade is a less vertical Stone Scabbard (Up 1).

Don't get me wrong, I think he'd still be fun, but he really feels like he would need a different mechanic or something to make him not feel like a 1112 / 3112 Swordfighter.
As I was thinking of a moveset, I considered adding the TP feature but, like I said earlier, it seemed too much like Hero so I didn’t go with it. As well, I really considered adding an Upgrade System which is featured in ToS where, when you perform an attack so many times, it upgrades the move to a more powerful form. However, when translate to Smash, I thought it would be too restricted. Like, you upgrade the Demon Fang to Double Demon Fang so now you are stuck with Double Demon Fang until you die and perhaps you don’t want Double Demon Fang. Finally, another idea I had that I ultimately through away was having two different movesets that he could access which is similar to his fighting style in the games. Those being Technical and Strike. So while his normal moveset would be Demon Fang, his alternate would be Demonic Chaos or Grave Blade. Still, once again, I couldn’t find a way to allow Lloyd to switch between the two.

So, in the end, I decided to go the non-gimmick personality route and give him a moveset that’s more inline with his personality.

Ok, you have to be incredibly clueless if you think Lloyd would play exactly like Link or Marth. He absolutely does have his own unique traits to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Please keep in mind that part two which will talk about additional Tales of Symphonia content will be published later this month so please look forward to that.

Last edited:
Ok, you have to be incredibly clueless if you think Lloyd would play exactly like Link or Marth. He absolutely does have his own unique traits to stand out from the rest of the crowd.
Where did I say he'd play like Link or Marth? I was thinking more along the lines of Mii Swordfighter. Most of these moves are so generic they could be passed off as Mii Swordfighter's custom moves, and it sounds like that's exactly what he plays as.

With a moveset like this he is pure Mii costume territry.

Okay, look, I'm really not trying to **** all over this character. But the thing about Smash is that you have to make the characters appealing to people OUTSIDE of the ones who played the original games, or you get something like Byleth that is universally hated.

Smash is at its best when it incorporates wildly diverse designs, if not in a character's visual appearance, then in their moveset at the very least. From what I'm seeing of this moveset Lloyd doesn't have any creativity in either of those areas.

Last edited:
Where did I say he'd play like Link or Marth? I was thinking more along the lines of Mii Swordfighter. Most of these moves are so generic they could be passed off as Mii Swordfighter's custom moves, and it sounds like that's exactly what he plays as.

With a moveset like this he is pure Mii costume territry.

Okay, look, I'm really not trying to **** all over this character. But the thing about Smash is that you have to make the characters appealing to people OUTSIDE of the ones who played the original games, or you get something like Byleth that is universally hated.

Smash is at its best when it incorporates wildly diverse designs, if not in a character's visual appearance, then in their moveset at the very least. From what I'm seeing of this moveset Lloyd doesn't have any creativity in either of those areas.
Thank you for your honesty. When I make future character speculation articles, I will work try to make their movesets more interesting while keeping true to the source material. Considering my Doom Slayer character articles was super gimmicky, I wanted to try a more bare-bones approach. Obviously, people have issues with this and it’s understandable. That being said, I will not be going back to this article to redo the moveset but I will take the criticism and work at improving my move crafting in the future.

Last edited:
Great post! I really can tell a lot of time and energy was put into it and I appreciate that. But if I were to be honest I feel fire emblem ruined sword characters for me as future dlc. As there so many sword fighters , this coming from someone who mainly uses a sword wielding character myself. Though I would have gladly taken this character over our recent dlc fire emblem character for sure

Last edited:
Great post! I really can tell a lot of time and energy was put into it and I appreciate that. But if I were to be honest I feel fire emblem ruined sword characters for me as future dlc. As there so many sword fighters , this coming from someone who mainly uses a sword wielding character myself. Though I would have gladly taken this character over our recent dlc fire emblem character for sure
Thank you. To be honest, this article started around late December and into early January, before Byleth was revealed. I figured it would get some pushback because of “swordsman” comments and I do agree there are a bit too many. That’s why I’m trying to keep my choice of characters to cover in the future diverse.

Damnit. You made me think that Lloyd was announced as a playable character.
I was wondering when this type of comment would pop up back in my Doom Slayer and this article lol.

Falcon's Crest is not an Unison attack. It's called a "high-ougi" or in later titles Mystic Arte. Otherwise, wonderfully done.

Top Bottom