• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“GET READY TO SERVE” - The Root Beer Tapper Support Thread

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Welcome to the
Root Beer Tapper Support Thread

CBD8E9B0-2E52-4FF9-BD73-C5606DA9EC9E.png

Who?
Tapper or just the Root Beer Tapper is the main protagonist of Midway Arcade’s classic hit, Tapper (AKA Root Beer Tapper). In the game, you play as a bartender whose job it is fill up bottles of root beer and slide them across the table to very thirsty customers. You also have to make sure to catch all the sliding bottles coming back at you, keep the guests away from getting too close to you, and make sure not a single glass falls down on the ground and break.

Moveset Potential?
The Root Beer Tapper may not be known for fighting, but he could still have a moveset. Tapper’s main gimmick could involve him serving up Root Beer to the fighters in MultiVersus, whether they like it or not. Tapper could slide countless amounts of bottles with root beer across the stage. Tapper could also kick fighter and root beer across the stage from behind, a reference to one of his victory animations. It doesn’t just have to be bottles of Root Beer. The Root Beer Tapper could also shake up a can of Root Beer and launch the root beer out at fighters, a reference to the mini game. Maybe the Root Beer Tapper could even use the customers to aid him in battle. There is just a lot you could do with his cartoony animations.

1D6E0734-DE60-4BEB-9A53-33D8848972D8.jpeg

Why?
Tapper (AKA Root Beer Tapper) is a iconic arcade game from the 1980s. It was considered by Midway to be one of their greatest hits, appearing in many Midway Arcade compilation titles. Even though there hasn’t been a new entry in the series for awhile, the classic game still continues to live on to this day in other means. Tapper appeared in the hit Disney film, Wreck it Ralph. He served as a major side character in the film, along with his bar. Tapper and his bar even returned in a smaller role in Wreck it Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet. If Disney went out of their way to bring him in Wreck it Ralph, there is clearly something there about the game and it’s legacy.
A9DE7BB5-1A35-4DFC-91BE-BB85D3A57C21.gif

List of Customers (Supporters)
evanwoo10 evanwoo10
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
tonygameman tonygameman

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
:ultryu: "Tapper, I need a root beer."
"Coming! Hold that thought."
(starts playing Oh! Susanna/the first stage theme)
"Okay. As you were saying."

There's no doubt that I'll obviously support this guy! I agree with AlteredBeast AlteredBeast on a fact that classic Midway games/IPs deserve recognition.

For moveset potential, maybe he could also throw bar stools as projectiles. This fan Smash post right here has lots of ideas like a drink counter gimmick and spraying a stream of foam from the barrel via nozzle.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Class
Support

Passive Abilities
Several of Tapper's attacks involve beer mugs. The damage and knockback dealt by these attacks depend on how much root beer is in the mug. Successfully hitting with one of these attacks empties out the root beer.

Ground Attacks
Neutral: Mug Smash - Slams forward a beer mug.
Side: Mug Swing - Swings a beer mug twice. If the mug has root beer in it, both hits use the root beer.
Up: Cheers! - Raises a beer mug.
Down: Self-Slide - Slides himself along the ground a good distance.

Air Attacks
Neutral: Mug Smash - Same as ground.
Side: Hip Bump - Swings his hip out.
Up: Cheers! - Same as ground.
Down: Glass Shard - Quickly stabs down with a short shard of glass.

Specials
Neutral: Mug Party - Throws a beer mug PROJECTILE in a narrow arc behind himself. Tapper can throw three before he runs out of AMMO. Hitting one of these mugs with Tapper's side air breaks it, creating a wide burst.
Side: Mug Slide - Slides a beer mug PROJECTILE, getting three before he runs out of AMMO. If Tapper slides a mug with root beer in it to an ally, they'll drink it and slide it back. It will remain a damaging projectile, but Tapper can pick it back up to replenish his AMMO. Allies who drink root beer gain stacks of HASTENED, with the number of stacks depending on the amount of root beer in the mug.
Up: Shake It Up - Shakes up two cans of root beer, CHARGING. Tapper then opens the cans, and two streams of root beer spurt out, dealing quick hits. The length of the streams depends on the CHARGE. Tapper can move around as the root beer spurts out. If this is used in the air, instead of using the root beer on enemies, Tapper puts the cans under himself and rides the root beer.
Down: Tap - Quickly fills a beer mug with root beer until the input is released, or the mug is completely filled.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Honestly, Tapper would be a really fun character to see represented in MultiVersus. I think there's a lot of potential for a fun and unique moveset - whether you're going with a more projectile-focused moveset centred around his mugs, or a support-based archetype where he slides said root beer to allies in order to heal up their health - and overall, Midway content would be amazing to see pulled from. Sign me up!

Mr Hairyman

Smash Cadet
I was taking a shower yesterday and a thought came to my head for a trailer idea for Tapper. The scene takes place at the saloon, Tapper could be in the back preparing drinks, while someone starts a huge bar fight (ex. Harley or Stripe). Then Tapper could appear, along with a Root Beer Tapper stage. Clips between MultiVersus and the CGI saloon come together, showing Tapper knocking fighters out of the door, one by one. For a fun end credits scene, have Tapper drink a root beer, while Reindog looks up sad and begging for a sip. Have Tapper ignore him and Reindog knocks him across the table, like the lose animation with the angry customers.

I think Tapper could be a very cool retro inclusion. He could kinda be like Pac-Man, a 3D model with the classic pixel art for attacks, or maybe even have a Root Beer Barrel mechanic he could use to refill cups to use for battle, like Steve and his crafting table. Count me in for support!

Last edited:
Top Bottom