• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“Don’t get cooked…Stay Off The Hook!” The Pearl & Marina support thread

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
3FBB8CE3-7081-4988-85E7-6834E4B3C9B9.jpeg

Off The Hook

What is Off The Hook?

Off The Hook is the idol group central to Splatoon 2, serving as the newscasters for the game as well as being one of the bands responsible for the band’s music. They play a greater role when it comes to Splatfests, each representing a team and performing on Inkopolis Square for the duration of the event. In Octo Expansion, they serve as aids to the player character as MC.Princess and DJ_Hyperfresh. Off The Hook consists of Pearl and Marina.

26C0F34C-6976-48E5-B77A-8EFF7AA91AD0.png

Why choose Off The Hook?
Off The Hook, despite playing a modest role in speculation, does have a decent chance to appear as the final challenger pack in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

2A54DD87-78CE-4A16-839E-F6712A921E64.png
Off the Hook in Smash: Splatoon‘s second chance
0072A5AB-DAEC-4E95-AD66-BD20FC476A69.png

Splatoon is a succesful series that has graced the Switch with a high-selling entry in Splatoon 2 and could thus represent that game and its currently unrepresented DLC expansion, aptly named Octo Expansion. This would be a choice very much in line with Aegis and Min Min, who too hail from popular Switch games. Not only that, a new entry is on the horizon, so Smash could end on a character from a series that Nintendo wants to push again soon. Splatoon is a notably big series that Nintendo considers one of their flagships, so a double dip is not out of the question. With Octo Expansion and the base game of Splatoon 2, there’s plenty of stages, Spirits and most importantly, music, left to fill up a Challenger Pack. Inkling itself was based much more on the debut game on the WiiU, rather than Splatoon 2 and Off The Hook can thus fall under second chance theory.

As for why this Splatoon character would be Off The Hook, it’s possible that the more requested Octoling is seen as more of a candidate for an Echo or semi-clone, and that the potential found in a duo character is more enticing. Off the Hook itself has been marketed heavily as well with concerts and amiibos, are the mascots of the Splatfests and play a role in both the base game and the Octo Expansion. They’re certainly no slouches, amd can definitely carry a challenger pack besides their position as Splatoon characters.

1F09867F-8B9F-4986-866E-8C94CE656DDC.png
Off The Hook in Smash: Moveset’s Ebb and Flow
4744D9A4-5EAB-4613-8FB7-0890FEEB72E0.png

Off The Hook‘s main strength is moveset potential. Inkling’s Smash moveset covers the basic weapons from the first game, and Off the Hook can swoop right in to pick up the slack. Splatoon 2 introduced weapons like the Dualies and Brellas, and just like Callie & Marie have a fondness for Rollers and Chargers respectively, Pearl and Marina have expressed their preference for the short-ranged, high mobility Dualies and the defensive Brellas respectively. This Ebb and Flow of movement could be a cornerstone of their moveset as Pearl rolls around Marina to deliver the fast blows, as attacks featuring Marina revolve more around protecting the duo from harm in a turtling formation.

The exact nature of the duo doesn’t have to be an Ice Climbers situation. Like Banjo-Kazooie, the two can act as a single unit. Pearl’s rolling attacks can merely count as disjointed hitboxes and not have any specific wobbling desynch shenanigans.

“Amd that’s all the time we’ve got!”
“Until next time”
“Don’t get cooked….”
“Stay Off the Hook!”

8419F890-9E9D-4562-A6D7-CDD71606AB5A.jpeg

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
About time! :shades:

also can I bring up my tinfoil hat theory

we got Rex as a Mii at the start of DLC, and Pyra/Mythra as full characters for CP9
We got a Heihachi Mii with Min Min, and Kazuya Mishima as a full character for CP10
We also got Callie and Marie Miis with Min Min… I think you know where I’m going with this

but yeah sign me up

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
About time! :shades:

also can I bring up my tinfoil hat theory

we got Rex as a Mii at the start of DLC, and Pyra/Mythra as full characters for CP9
We got a Heihachi Mii with Min Min, and Kazuya Mishima as a full character for CP10
We also got Callie and Marie Miis with Min Min… I think you know where I’m going with this

but yeah sign me up
Someone had to, lest those juicy RTC nominations were to go to waste plus where else would the credits go once they’re in? I’m expecting a reveal soon so I‘m not gonna do an official supporters list but you‘re obviously a true supporter.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so uh

notice how Pearl & Marina weren’t in the Splatoon 3 trailer today?

what if they’re in Smash instead?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Don't mind me; just leaving a post in case the thread blows up so I get be an obnoxious hipster about my Marina-stanning.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Don't mind me; just leaving a post in case the thread blows up so I get be an obnoxious hipster about my Marina-stanning.
That’s the exact reason I made the thread, so welcome aboard!

I support Marina for Smash Ultimate DLC!!

Oh yeah and Pearl can come too why not
whoops, sorry for the late reply, i couldnt hear you over the sound of pearl slaying nasty majesty :4pacman:

Top Bottom