• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I think if SMT gets someone it would be the Demi fiend by now, he was always one of the bigger candidates from my understanding but the remake really feels like an up in his chances

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Every numbered SMT title has been on a Nintendo console now. Honestly I think that combined with 25 years of support with two more coming next year is a pretty good argument for SMT's relevance and importance. There's no shortage of reasons and no shortage of possible reps. Demi-fiend's viable. Sword/Shoot/Summoning Messiahs are viable. V's Flower Boy is viable.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friends were mad hype over all the SMT goodness we were blessed with, hopefully we get a sick ass collectors edition like the one Japan is getting (cause **** me it looks gorgeous bruh) and now I get to feel giddy knowing I can re-experience SMT 3 again AND experience SMT 5 all next year!
Also Demi-Fiend for Smash cuz he’s great

Smady

Smash Master
Demi Fiend would be a great way to represent the devil summoner aspect of SMT. Joker fails to get that across whatsoever. It's unfortunate that Atlus getting 2 characters seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Every numbered SMT title has been on a Nintendo console now. Honestly I think that combined with 25 years of support with two more coming next year is a pretty good argument for SMT's relevance and importance. There's no shortage of reasons and no shortage of possible reps. Demi-fiend's viable. Sword/Shoot/Summoning Messiahs are viable. V's Flower Boy is viable.
The simulatenous worldwide release makes me think Nintendo is involved too, as Atlus NEVER does that. I think the chances are higher than they've ever been.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Let's get the ball rolling...
This video (and this although some moves seem to have swapped names) has a fair few move animations that Demi-fiend uses for attacks. The actual unique animations seem to be these;
  • Right-handed straight punch (Attack)
  • Elbow Charge (Lunge, Berserk, Tempest)
  • Breathing (Fire/Ice/Fog Breath)
  • Casting (item usage, Focus, most spells, almighty magic and more)
  • Cross Arm Gaze (Evil Gaze)
  • Arm Cannon (Divine Shot)
  • Body Expulsion (Xeros-Beat, Gaea Rage)
  • Overhead energy sword swing (Blight, Deathbound, Chaos Blade)
  • Iaido energy sword sling (Deadly Fury)
  • Right-handed claw swipe (Iron Claw)
  • Eye lazers (Spiral Viper)
  • Round House Kick (Javelin Rain)
  • Heads Back Eye Lazers (Oni-Kagura, Freikugel)
  • Channeled Energy Thrust (Magma Axis)
  • Summoning Motion (Summon)
I think he definitely has enough animations for a moveset. The 'energy sword swipes' strike me as up-tilt and down-tilt because they cover decent range for instance, while Divine Shot's animation is perfect for looping the first half while charging the Smash attack before the shots finally go off.

This isn't going into Specials or mechanics, either. Demons tend to have two attack animations (spells, physical attacks) which could be tied to specials, or even short button taps vs heavy button taps. So you can use any demon attack in tandem with any (non-charged Smash) attack, which means they can cover your wind-up time or you can combo into them. A tapped forward-air plays out differently than a held forward air because Jack Frost's either doing a wind-up punch or Ice Breath, and so on.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Speaking of the Demi-fiend's moveset, if demons and demon switching are incorporated in his specials which ones are the most likely to be chosen? For the sake of argument let's say there's a limit of 4 demons.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I also hope Nocturne remastered allows to re-learn skills you already got through magatama like the DDS duology did.
Speaking of the Demi-fiend's moveset, if demons and demon switching are incorporated in his specials which ones are the most likely to be chosen? For the sake of argument let's say there's a limit of 4 demons.
I feel Pixie and Jack Frost are musts given their significance as the first demon you recruit and Atlus mascot respectively (although Black Frost could work too, maybe as a cameo that triggers for a certain % over normal frosty), everything else is a bit harder to guess, but I'd say a fiend should be part of his arsenal as well, Matador or Trumpeter if you were to ask me. Last spot could be something like Thor, Beelzebub or Metatron, even Futomimi if they don't mind referencing something more exclusive to Nocturne.

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
After hacking my SNES mini, I got ahold of the first Megami Tensei games, and I'm already hooked. The 80s Japan soundtrack gives me a sense of nostalgia for something I never actually experienced. One track I'd love to hear is Micon City.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What up ****os I never played an Atlus game in my life but Nocturne being available in the near future made me curious and I'm pre-ordering as soon as it's available in the Netherlands, basic research on Turn Press and Idon shilling the franchise made me respect it beyond knowing the Matador memes and hey, might even get SMTV if I like Nocturne enough.

Side note, it's called Nocturne here now instead of Lucifer's Call. Neat

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yeah, Terminal Reality which previously held the copyright for "Nocturne" for video games (because they made a game called Nocturne) went defunct in 2013. Previously Atlus paid royalties to be allowed to use the name, but the PAL publisher chose to not go through the hassle. I assume Atlus owns it now.

Shroob

Sup?
I'd kinda like it if they added a couple new summonable demons in the HD Noc, but I'm keeping my expectations low since it's a Remaster and not a Remake in regards to 'new' content.

Feels like they should at the very least include Mara to be summonable alongside Raidou's demons since, afaik, none of the demons Raidou uses in his skills can be obtained in Nocturne.

I actually forgot Alice, Belial and Nebiros weren't in Nocturne. Feel like those 3 would make a good new hidden super-boss.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ok so I found out I'm a big dumb idiot who always had the chance to try out SMT as I heard 4 never got brought over here when it was simply brought over digitally, last time I saw SMT on the 3ds eshop I assumed that a patch download meant I got the game for free so I'm going to try that after beating 5 games on my backlog, anyone know what DLC I should get as I'll have leftover change for the 3ds

I also learned that they got various toku artists for the monster designs instead of Kaneko and Tamotsu Shinohara made some of my favourite Kamen Rider monster designs I'm gonna be hella unpopular if I end up liking 4's designs more lmao

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd kinda like it if they added a couple new summonable demons in the HD Noc, but I'm keeping my expectations low since it's a Remaster and not a Remake in regards to 'new' content.
Feels like they should at the very least include Mara to be summonable alongside Raidou's demons since, afaik, none of the demons Raidou uses in his skills can be obtained in Nocturne.
I actually forgot Alice, Belial and Nebiros weren't in Nocturne. Feel like those 3 would make a good new hidden super-boss.
Nocturne's demon roster is super frugal compared to other games and a good portion of demons are evolution only, sacrifical fusion only or end-game tiered like the arch angels. They ended up with way more 3d models thanks to the Raidou games and other PS2 era ones adding more (including some pretty obscure picks who haven't really reappeared; Camael from SMT2 and Gashadokuro from SMT1 have 3d models in Raidou games and nothing else).
Since it's a texture-up res rather than a whole remake the models are still low poly so they'd probably have to stick to similar low poly models for new demons. But they would really benefit from it.

Shroob

Sup?
Nocturne's demon roster is super frugal compared to other games and a good portion of demons are evolution only, sacrifical fusion only or end-game tiered like the arch angels. They ended up with way more 3d models thanks to the Raidou games and other PS2 era ones adding more (including some pretty obscure picks who haven't really reappeared; Camael from SMT2 and Gashadokuro from SMT1 have 3d models in Raidou games and nothing else).
Since it's a texture-up res rather than a whole remake the models are still low poly so they'd probably have to stick to similar low poly models for new demons. But they would really benefit from it.
Honestly, I'd just be happy with them adding in the ones already in game, just unobtainable, like Mara or Mokoi from one of Raidou's skills.

The models are already there, just throw 'em into the summoning system.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Here's some gameplay of the Matador boss fight taken directly from a livestream of the Nocturne remaster:
The pinned comment says that they're playing on the new Merciful difficulty mode.

Also, they apparently confirmed that the Atlus player survey from like a year ago was the reason why this got greenlit.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
It’s likely that since the battle music had seven different variations depending on the phase of the moon that they don’t have the uncompressed originals anymore. I honestly wish they’d get one of their like, 8 composers to do a new set of battle tracks in that case because that audio quality is dreadful.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It’s likely that since the battle music had seven different variations depending on the phase of the moon that they don’t have the uncompressed originals anymore. I honestly wish they’d get one of their like, 8 composers to do a new set of battle tracks in that case because that audio quality is dreadful.
Damn shame we'll never hear all the variants as they were meant to be heard. Guess this really is a retexturization and upscaling and not much else. Maybe 10 years from now we'll get a full on remake that does all the things we want it to lol.

Now that's wishful thinking.

ThugNanashi

Smash Rookie
Since SMT 5 will have a worldwide release i hope the games will have good sales and maybe we will see demi fiend or smt 5 hero in smash :)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am very hyped about the Nocturne HD release. It was the second game I played in the Shin Megami Tensei series, the first being Persona 3 in 2008. It is really great. I am very excited to see some of the greatest bosses in turn based RPG in glorious HD graphics. And also Mot.

Regarding Demi-fiend as a playable fighter, it is possible. At first I thought Flynn was more likely but that was before Cloud was released as a Smash 4 DLC. I then realized a fighter doesn't need to be present in a game released for Nintendo systems at all. And now that the HD release is coming, I can see it happening. I am also okay with the SMT V protagonist being added instead. Heck, even Nanashi would have been fine despite I finding Apocalypse a very underwhelming game.

I would like his kit to include the demons he uses in the boss fight against himself in Digital Devil Saga. Namely Girimekhala, Cu Chulainn, Arahabakit, Titania, Parvati and obviously, Pixie HAS to appear somewhere. She is THE demon I associate with him. As for his final Smash, perhaps he could summon Lucifer himself or maybe Kagutsuchi. I picture him as a melee summoner, a contrast to the Pokémon Trainer who doesn't fight by her/himself. He would fight himself while summoning the aforementioned demons to perform specific tasks in his kit.

Edit: I was drawing a little comic about a Demi-fiend trailer announcement for Smash. If anyone is interested, do let me know and I will post it here when I am finished.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
While I'm more of a Kiryu gal in terms of Sega reps, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't pop off hard for Demi-fiend or any other mainline SMT rep. I love me some SMT and it's a shame Joker didn't come with any mainline content, so an SMT rep would be a welcome addition. And with the Nocturne remake on the way and SMTV finally getting news, now would be a good time to add Demi-fiend

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I was thinking about potential moveset gimmicks for an SMT rep, and I think it'd be cool if they put in a Law - Chaos meter. It'd be interesting to emulate that choice for the player in some way and affect what demons they can summon.

Maybe have it so the meter shifts when the player performs certain specials. Then once the meter is fully one way or the other, their attacks will summon either lawful or chaotic demons to buff/alter their moves. Of course the Law and Chaos versions of the character's moveset will be slightly different, so it would be important for the player to know what they want.

Also if the player manages to keep the meter centered for a certain amount of time, it unlocks a secret neutral version of the moveset with different demons. This part would not be covered in the 'Sakurai Presents' stream and left for the players to find out themselves.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is there an SMT discord by any chance?
As far as I know, the only one that exists is the r/megaten one. You should check that out if you're interested. However, I gotta say there are definitely some ideological extremists in that discord lol. I haven't visited it in months but be wary I suppose.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Would you guys consider the Persona series and Catherine to be SMT games?
Not really. They are part of the extanded MegaTen multiverse, but it's like Mario with DK or Wario, the games are extremly different despite having similarities.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Atlus doesn't even consider them the same series anymore. But they were at once, since SMT, Devil Summoner, and Persona used to be very heavily entwined before Persona 3.

amageish

Smash Master
At this point, I feel like ATLUS games constantly make references to each other and sometimes get remakes which retroactively add/remove references to one another... Trying to draw lines of exactly what franchises are sub-franchises versus spin-offs versus spin-offs of spin-offs of a sub-franchise feels... not especially worth the time/effort.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At this point, I feel like ATLUS games constantly make references to each other and sometimes get remakes which retroactively add/remove references to one another... Trying to draw lines of exactly what franchises are sub-franchises versus spin-offs versus spin-offs of spin-offs of a sub-franchise feels... not especially worth the time/effort.
It is worth the effort for the fact that when I google SMT stuff, I'd like to not constantly have to be forced to sift through hundreds of P3-P5 content.

It's the entire reason we have the "SMT" umbrella and the "Megaten" umbrella such that we don't have this confusion in the first place.
Well, TMS sure threw a wrench into the entire proceedings, even besides the crossover aspects. It doesn't really fit in anywhere.
That's just under the label of Megaten. They clearly didn't really consider it an SMT game past its initial planning phase.

amageish

Smash Master
It is worth the effort for the fact that when I google SMT stuff, I'd like to not constantly have to be forced to sift through hundreds of P3-P5 content.

It's the entire reason we have the "SMT" umbrella and the "Megaten" umbrella such that we don't have this confusion in the first place.
Oh, I get how the fandoms can be awkwardly squished together, though the irony of r/MegaTen being the main gathering place of the SMT-only side of the fanbase is not lost on me either. The SMT name being slapped on P3 is kind of ironic, as it ended up boosting the franchise that ultimately overran SMT.

I just mean that, if we're arguring that P1/P2 have a direct connection to SMT If story-wise via Tamaki, but P3 began doing it's own thing so at that point it is its own franchise, while Catherine isn't part of it as Vincent in P3P has a mole to indicate that it's an alternate-universe Vincent, and Raidou is referenced as being fictional within Persona 4 and now turns up in Nocturne, while TMS is only SMT-related in name only so it doesn't really count... I think it's safe to say ATLUS kind of just does whatever they feel like in terms of references, crossovers, and easter eggs. I don't think it's worth the time to decide what specifically span off of what. They're all ATLUS games and the ones where you summon folklore-based-beings are MegaTen games.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh, I get how the fandoms can be awkwardly squished together, though the irony of r/MegaTen being the main gathering place of the SMT-only side of the fanbase is not lost on me either. The SMT name being slapped on P3 is kind of ironic, as it ended up boosting the franchise that ultimately overran SMT.

I just mean that, if we're arguring that P1/P2 have a direct connection to SMT If story-wise via Tamaki, but P3 began doing it's own thing so at that point it is its own franchise, while Catherine isn't part of it as Vincent in P3P has a mole to indicate that it's an alternate-universe Vincent, and Raidou is referenced as being fictional within Persona 4 and now turns up in Nocturne, while TMS is only SMT-related in name only so it doesn't really count... I think it's safe to say ATLUS kind of just does whatever they feel like in terms of references, crossovers, and easter eggs. I don't think it's worth the time to decide what specifically span off of what. They're all ATLUS games and the ones where you summon folklore-based-beings are MegaTen games.
They self-reference all the time, that's true enough.

I just personally don't think that means we should start calling Persona or Catherine "SMT games" which is explicitly wrong and misleading when the tag "megaten" already encapsulates everything while also not confusing anyone.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Lol I don't know why I didn't find this thread until now.

Add me to the support list Idon, please!

As for a SMT character, while I still think it's a kind of pipe dream, it definitely seems more likely now. The thing is, would they go for the latest main character, or the most popular one? Joker was both things so it was an easy decision I guess, but while Nocturne is recieving a remaster, I guess Atlus would prefer to put the newest protagonist.

Personally I don't have strong preferences. SMTV protagonist looks cool but obviously we're more familiar with previous main characters. I like Flynn despite not being much of a fan at first of his design, while Demi-fiend is the one I like the most if we speak about design and looks.

The simulatenous worldwide release makes me think Nintendo is involved too, as Atlus NEVER does that. I think the chances are higher than they've ever been.
The simultaneous worlwide release thing might be something from Sega/Atlus, I mean, they're clearly trying to push Persona so it's not far fetched to imagine they want to make the same thing with SMT.

Also. Shin Megami Tensei V will have, for the first time in the franchise EFIGS subtitles. Persona 5 Royal was also the first for it's series for localization beyond english. Someone could argue that the translation is because Nintendo is helping, similar to how the Ace Attorney DS games and their localization were made by Nintendo (that's the reason the HD trilogy doesn't have spanish translation, because that was made/paid by Nintendo), but Nocturne will also have EFIGS support while also releasing on PS4, so while launching at the same time everywhere could be thanks to Nintendo, the translation thing is clearly an effort made by Sega/Atlus.

Which is nice I think because that means they're actually trying to seriously push the franchise.

I actually think that demon summoning would be part of Demi-fiend's moveset but also Flynn's or SMTV main character. That said, adding demons to the moveset would be a considerably ton of work, so I don't know if we could really expect multiple demons

But answering your question, I believe that Pixie and Jack Frost would be 100% there. Without being very complicated, Pixie could provide healing and Jack Frost could use ice spells.
As for the other 2, it's more complicated...

Maybe Oni or Cu Chulainn for the third spot? More focused in causing strong physical damage. For the last spot, maybe Alice?

I tried to stick to popular? demons that could also work well as complement of the character's moveset. If I had to choose 4 of my favorite demons then the list would be different hahaha

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
would they go for the latest main character, or the most popular one
go for the most iconic/popular protags in cycling casts, so I'd expect Demifiend as Nocturne's the one people talk about more often than not. We got Solid Snake, not old man Snake, we got Cloud, not Warrior of Light, we got Simon, not Gabriel Belmont, etc.

Sidenote, I asked this before and I got no answer, what DLC for SMT4 should I get? I bought the game yesterday and have 5.34 left

Top Bottom