1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Trying to find the perfect gift? Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Discussion in 'SSB4 Character Discussion' started by lobotheduck21, Aug 6, 2012.

1. ScatmansWorld25

ScatmansWorld25 Smash Master

3DS Friend Code:
    0576-4103-7004
    Nintendo Network ID:
    ScatmansWorld25
    I don't have Ghirahim in as so far he has only been a one shot character.If he shows up any more I may put him in. As for Toon Link he still is Link and somewhat a clone of him.If Toon Link is a costume clone we could have room for more unique characters. Now if they changed T. Link's moveset I may add him back in.
  2. FalKoopa

FalKoopa Blue, Green and Yellow

• Back Roomer

I'll prefer to keep Toon Link separate. But still, I'll be happy with this.
    shinpichu likes this.
  3. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

Impa/10

That means it's good btw
  4. LaniusShrike

LaniusShrike Smash Champion

I'd like to see

Link
    Zelda (as a separated character, new Down B)
    Sheik (as a separated character, new Down B)
    Impa (not a clone)
    Ganondorf (given a weapon, either a sword or a trident)
    Vaati (not a clone, not sure who he'd even be a clone of)
    Toon Link (given his own more unique moveset based off of his weapons from Minish Cap etc.)
    Tetra (not a clone)
    Toon Ganondorf (Wind Waker Ganondorf with two katanas, slow/heavy clone of Lloyd Irving)

... What? Excessive? Unrealistic? Hmm. Yep, very much so.
  5. Zuby

Zuby Smash Journeyman

Link - legacy character using common items with multiple distinct costumes. Default costume Skyward Sword.
    Link - the younger version, default costume "Toon Link" without the ridiculous prefix. Alternate costumes for "Young Link" and "Link to the Past Link"
    Zelda - default costume Skyward Sword, with others available. Still transforms into Sheik, but Sheik's costume doesn't ever change.
    Ganondorf - default costume Twilight Princess, but Wind Waker also available.
    Tetra - standalone. None of this "Toon Zelda" transformation nonsense. (I mean seriously, she attacks Ganondorf bareknuckled as Tetra, then gets kidnapped the instant she becomes Zelda. Sure she fires arrows as Zelda, but she fired CANNONS as Tetra.)

I'm not convinced that the Zelda series needs any more characters, but if so, I'd prioritise them:

Vaati
    Impa
    Ghirahim
    Linebeck
    LaniusShrike likes this.
  6. FalKoopa

• Back Roomer

No Tingle? :sadeyes:
  7. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

Wasn't Zelda Tennis seriously suggested a few pages back?

[​IMG]
  8. Popsydoodles

Popsydoodles Smash Journeyman

Hopefully that ball is Navi...
  9. Zuby

Zuby Smash Journeyman

I guess he can slot in above Ghirahim. It's just that I've never seen him do anything remotely violent to justify a role in a fighting game.
  10. FalKoopa

• Back Roomer

Naw, that isn't really a good point. Besides, he does fight in his spin-off games.
  11. Swampasaur

Swampasaur President Ivysaur!

• Back Roomer
    3DS Friend Code:
    4141-2776-0914
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Swamp

:rob: :gw: :falcon:
    Fastblade5035 and FalKoopa like this.
  12. Fastblade5035

Fastblade5035 Smash Champion

3DS Friend Code:
    0645-6032-2207
    And
    :sheik::popo::drmario:
  13. Popsydoodles

Are you working on those recolors for those other threads still? I'm interested in seeing them and please don't withdraw back underneath the table. :chuckle:
  14. KumaOso

KumaOso Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    1590-4853-0104
    Nintendo Network ID:
    KumaOso
    This reminds me of how BlazBlue has certain songs playing depending on the matchup. It'd be cool if they did this kind of thing for Smash, even including songs for dream matches like Mario vs. Sonic. So far, this is my favorite example in BB.
  15. Fastblade5035

Fastblade5035 Smash Champion

3DS Friend Code:
    0645-6032-2207
    Yeah, slowly but surely. And I only hide under the table in the Roster Discussion Thread, because if you say one wrong thing, there's 15 people on you and there is bloodshed. :awesome:
  16. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

Yeah this would be more than awesome.

If they made it fitting of coarse.
  17. KumaOso

KumaOso Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    1590-4853-0104
    Nintendo Network ID:
    KumaOso
    I'd like it if they used semi-original compositions for those kind of matchups. For example, a Ganondorf vs. Triforce Character/Impa could be something like this:
    Diddy Kong likes this.
  18. Popsydoodles

have you listened to artificial fears legend of zelda music covers? theyre beyond good. i suggest looking him up on youtube
  19. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

Unique victory poses for certain matchups would also be cool. LIke they did for the StarFox characters for example.
  20. Popsydoodles

thought i might as well post one up as a tasty sample :lick:

21. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

22. Zuby

Zuby Smash Journeyman

Believe it or not, I wasn't behind those selections either.
  23. Kikwi-Kiwi

Kikwi-Kiwi Triple Deluxe!

3DS Friend Code:
    5413-1097-4150
    Bump because I got sick and tired of the endless Fire Emblem discussions we keep getting 24/7.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to see what style designs they have decided to go for Link (and Zelda if she shows up too.) Then we can at least finally end that debate...

I wonder if ALTTP2 will get at least a stage... :/ I'm not sure whether we would get Classic Link, Toon Link, Young Link, anyone else or none at all though... But we will probably find that out once the game is released.
    Diddy Kong likes this.
  24. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

Oh yes, this thread is back :)

Am looking forward seeing Link's design to. Could really go any way at this moment...
    Kikwi-Kiwi likes this.
  25. FalKoopa

• Back Roomer

I'd prefer it if they keep the TP designs and turn them into HD, like in the Tech Demo.
    Zuby likes this.
  26. legendofrob1

legendofrob1 Smash Hero

Nintendo Network ID:
    Legendofrob1
    I don't mind the SS design. it's pretty good, but it could be more.... HD-ized... I guess.

Also, I wouldn't mind giraham, he's pretty interesting. I like him as a villain.
  27. Hero_of_T1me_1997

Hero_of_T1me_1997 Smash Apprentice

I want Skull Kid. Maybe Groose

It'll be Ghirahim though
  28. Noler_Mass

Noler_Mass Smash Ace

I know nothing about anything Zelda, but I support the **** out of ghirahim. HE'S SO FASHIONABLE.
  29. FalKoopa

• Back Roomer

I'll list my choices in the order I want them.

Tetra = Vaati > Tingle = Skull Kid > Ghirahim >>>>>>>>>>> Impa
  30. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy

Mario_and_Sonic_Guy Cosmic Beauty

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    5327-1637-5096
    Nintendo Network ID:
    TPitch5
    I agree there myself. I mean, look at how good the quality was with the tech demo.

Of course, in terms of Ganondorf, it would be quite impressive to see his Ocarina of Time incarnation in HD during the process.
  31. MagnesD3

MagnesD3 Smash Lord

Zelda Reps Deserved for SSB4

Link
    Zelda/Shiek
    Ganondorf
    Demise

Zelda Reps to represent the different games for ssb5 and up

Impa for a being a staple in the series
    Skull Kid for MM
    Toon Link for WW
    Midna/Wolf Link for TP
    Ghirahim for SS

Or thats how I see it. (probly not gonna happen though.)
  32. Spire

Spire III

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

So Link in Smash 4 uses his Twilight Princess design once again. Texturally he's much more vibrant and while his model is way higher-res, the design is identical. They skipped out on the Skyward Sword look—guess it wasn't popular enough. Might this indicate that Zelda, Ganondorf, and Sheik (if she returns) will also borrow their appearances from TP? If so, I will personally be disappointed—but maybe they'll embrace designs from across the series instead, like many around here have speculated (like in the post above!).

Perhaps Link's continued use of the TP look is an indication of what Nintendo is doing with Zelda Wii U. Either way, we have four pieces of Legend of Zelda information:
    • TP Link confirmed (GCN/Wii rep).
    • Skyloft confirmed (Wii rep).
    • Spirit Train/Spirit Rails confirmed (DS rep).
    • Gerudo Valley confirmed (3DS rep).
  33. Kikwi-Kiwi

3DS Friend Code:
    5413-1097-4150
    Perhaps Alternate Costumes play a bigger role now. This time you can switch between the Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword Styles? That would actually be pretty great. Now I hope my Toon Link is safe... :c
    Spire likes this.
  34. LaniusShrike

LaniusShrike Smash Champion

I'm super hoping for alternate costumes. I do like the design they chose for Link, though. There are things about the SS Link that I like, but his face is just godawful.

I think it's important to remember that Conductor Toon Link isn't the same dude as Wind Waker Toon Link... with the hype about WW HD coming up I feel like Toon Link is safe, despite any weirdness about showing a TL in a stage background.

I'm surprised that Gerudo Valley is making a comeback. I love the Gerudo... I hope they themselves return someday.
  35. Kikwi-Kiwi

3DS Friend Code:
    5413-1097-4150

Like I said in the Toon Link thread. We had Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong in the 75M stage in Brawl, and it's comparable because their also two different apes. Just like WW Toon Link and ST Toon Link being different people too.

Hopefully this is the same case here as it was for Donkey Kong in Brawl...
  36. Zuby

Zuby Smash Journeyman

With the opaque skin, dead, lifeless eyes and creepy voice we've pretty much got Fi in the guise of Wii Fit Trainer.
    LaniusShrike and Neanderthal like this.
  37. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

I still don't think of this Link design as the Twilight Princess Link. It has the Skyward Sword colors, and TP / SS Link looked extremely similar after all. This is much like a Toon Link and Melee adult Link situation. Both are clearly based on Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time respectively, but still got major graphical updates. The extra pouches he has doesn't make him TP Link yet. Guess what items are new in SS anyway? That's right, pouches. :smirk:

The blade being blue when swung is a clear nod to Skyward Sword to. And we already have a Skyloft stage (this one was a given though). I still see no reason to expect a TP styled Zelda yet. If anything, it could be a SS and TP hyrbid Zelda. Or a total new look for her. This could mean Sheik is still in, but it also doesn't rule out Impa as a separate character at all.
  38. FalKoopa

• Back Roomer

They kept his Brawl look. I'm very pleased.

He's as manly as Ike now. :awesome:
  39. Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong Smash Legend

Brawl look, updated with Skyward Sword colors and blue sword hits.

Fi is in that blade peeps. Prepare for it. :smirk:

[​IMG]

'Master Link, there's a 75% chance that your appearance in the upcoming Smash Bros. is more based on Skyward Sword than 100% of the butthurt people here like to admit.'

:rolleyes:
  40. Spire

Spire III

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

In case you forgot the differences, here's an image showing the three side-by-side:

[​IMG]

SSB4 Link borrows heavily from TP Link, more than any other incarnation in the series. The vibrancy of his clothing, as Sakurai said in the Developer Direct when speaking of Mario, was to focus on the visual sharpness. His face is different from Brawl's Link, possessing sharper features—but look at all his gear. The Master Sword is definitely the TP-style silver versus SS's blue, the Hylian Shield is TP-style (it has the metal frame around the Triforce which is clasped by ornate markings, along with those metal shapes at the base of the bird, whereas SS Hylian Shield has neither); his boots possess the same markings and are slender and longer—and the most obvious: he doesn't have SS Link's lofty pants. His clothing is much more tight-fitted than SS Link's. The tail of his hat even has that stitched on extension that is characteristic of TP Link. Furthermore, his left arm has the brown leather armguard, while SS Link simply had a blue bracer. He has the same collar stitching as TP Link and a rectangular belt-buckle, not a hexagonal one. His chainmail is also gold-tinted, not obviously silver.

I hope you can see the similarities and differences. There's no denying this Link references TP Link more than any other.