• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zack Fair tournament legal project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to figure out what I can do to get Zack Fair into melee. I've been told I need to make him myself but I want him to be tournament legal so anyone can use him in any ssbm tournament.

My ideal result: Nintendo officially releases gamecube memory cards that allows you to get Zack if you have the game.

I'm totally willing to do anything I can to make this happen. Any help/suggestion/tips will be nice.

divekicked

Smash Cadet
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Do want an alternate costume of him? Or do you want to add a new character entirely?

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
Well where can I get this research you speak of? I would love see it

Last edited:

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
By reading through the threads here. And Nintendo will most definitely never release something like that. At some point in the future, you should be able to make your own characters though, but as for now, we can't even import our own models or animations. So your best bet now would be making a skin for one of the current characters. I'm not sure who Zack Fair is, but try to find someone in Melee with a similar body build and look up how to edit the models vertices. (@ Tcll Tcll has a way of editing vertices using Blender so ask him for the tool.) After that you wanna paint your own textures (check here for the latest texture hacking tools http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tools-for-texture-hacking.373777/). When it comes to painting them I'd recommend you either getting the latest Photoshop or preferably Substance Painter (as it would be the easiest and most effective to use). Both are really expensive though, but you said you'd anything to make it happen.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
actually, this gives me an idea I should've gotten a few years ago...

I could build a hack-script for UMC for exporting the vert data of each object in:
data.vtx - bf32() - ## ## ## ##
data.vtx16 - bu16() - ## ##
data.vtxs16 - bs16() - ## ##
data.vtx8 - bu8() - ##
data.vtxs8 - bs8() - ##

if you export to any of the int-formats, a bu32() exponent will be included in a 32 byte header:
## ## ## ## 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
vert data here

but if you export in floating-point format, there will be no header ;)
(this may change if it's confusing and I may just insert 32 pad-bytes before the data)

what to do and how to use:
note: this is for the UMC release which should be coming relatively soon :)
1: import your Melee model (script: Hal Labs)
2: export as an external-supported format (hopefully by the release I'll have more than just OBJ)
3: import into your preferred external model editor, edit, and export to a UMC-supported format (make sure the vert-order and the amount of verts has not changed)
4: import your edits into UMC
5: export a preferred vertex data type

6: in a hex editor (preferrably HxD), open your Melee model, and your exported vert data
7: find the data in the Melee model and replace it with your vert data
8: if you've exported an int format, and the Melee data requires an int,
-- find the exponent in the facepoint-attributes and replace it with the exponent from the exported data.
-- (make sure you copy only the size you need of the exponent, 1-byte, 2-bytes, etc)
-- ^ the exponent normally doesn't need more than 1-byte of space

if you did everything right, the exported vert data should be the same size as the vert data in the melee model. ;)

I'm afraid exporting a Hal Labs DAT has not yet been figured out...
the format is not a fixed format like MDL0, and the order of the structures can be almost random.
(there is a pattern to the structure layout, I just havn't found it yet...)

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
No one is going to let you use a modded character in tournament, even if it is possible
my friend used to host those kinds of tourneys.
I still keep my hacked brawl tourney-legal (I fight as my ava on the stage in my ava)

even so, I highly doubt he's talking about something like Apex or Evo or some of those.

EDIT:
But there's no point of all this if I can't use it tournaments.
I never said anything about bones or animation ;)

it doesn't really matter where you place the verts, the hitboxes are bone-envelope based ;)

Last edited:

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
I should mention that if you want the skin to be able to be used in competitive play, you use bright and easily noticed colouring (don't need to exaggerate, but so it's well noticed on a CRT on BF) as well as the overall shape of the verts match the hitboxes. If not, I doubt anyone will be okay with it being used in tournament as it might give small advantages.

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
****, it seems for now its impossible until gamecube games for released for the eshop . Til then all I hope now is Zack Fair gets into smash 4. Please everyone vote for him if you can! Come on he's the coolest ff character. Its close but he's number 1 for sure.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
****, it seems for now its impossible until gamecube games for released for the eshop . Til then all I hope now is Zack Fair gets into smash 4. Please everyone vote for him if you can! Come on he's the coolest ff character. Its close but he's number 1 for sure.
I'm sorry to say this but it will never happen, Nintendo doesn't own the rights for this character and it seems highly unlikly that they will collaborate with Square.

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
Doesn't mean you can't vote for him in the ballot. Any video game character got a chance no matter how small.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
sure you have the freedom, but what's the point in casting a note into a fire-pit??

why not vote for someone useful, like my main Pichu?
(don't even begin to tell me Pichu sucks, he's more technical and powerful than any other character)
^ ok fine, draw back the power, but he's definitely more powerful than Pikachu

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
lol I'm sure Pichu will get in. If not he's already in melee so yeah. I'll vote for Pichu if you vote for Zack

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
it was a long time ago close to the ballot announcement... my brother followed this link from some spanish site that took him to this pie chart with the total votes for the characters...

idk what the site is called, and my brother doesn't remember where he went...
I'll find it though, I want to know Pichu's position now :p

EDIT: found it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...m4/pubchart?oid=1981029313&format=interactive

it's not up-to-date

Last edited:

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
This thread is hilarious. I'd like to imagine this cloudangelzack guy is just a masterclass troll.

Last edited:

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
You're probably right. Looking back, that was a rude thing to say.
Plus it's not like I'm some master hacker or anything so I don't have much room to talk.

Last edited:

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
no, I really want Zack in melee. not trolling. Its literally my true dream in this life.

And don't assume I'm a little kid just because you think what I'm doing is silly.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
woah hold on there man, I understand you really want him, but don't go as far as making it your dream ;)
heck, I may want Pichu back in smash, but I have many dreams which are far bigger, such as designing a realistic AI you can literally talk to and physically interact with in games (not going too far here because you can't physically touch a VG character).

heck, I'm even redesigning models to not use fixed-point standards such as vectors.

you need to raise your bar a tad ;)

btw, no offence, I even took you for a little kid (a smart 12yr-old at the very least) from the way you addressed everything, but not as far as a troll...
(my brother's a mental-troll, so I would know alot of the realms he plays in) :p
^ that does NOT mean I could be a troll, I can only identify a good 68% of troll-tactics out there (by the use of logic with me in their shoes)
<<< not saying I don't slip up here and there, I may be a dark-spawn, but that doesn't mean I'm all-knowing and fast-thinking... lol

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
Well I have couple other wishes but this is by far the most realistically possible. Although this seems to be pretty unattainable either way.

Last edited:

CloudAngealZack

Smash Cadet
Theres always reskins, you could change marth for example, he already looks like a FF character.
we already went over this. The reason I want Zack is because I would become a pro smasher if he got in. Can't really do this with a reskin Marth.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Let's be real here. Nintendo have collabed with square many times, so it isn't that farfetched an ff char gets into smash4. But even in the unlikely situation it happens, it's not going to be zack, it would be cloud if game specific (which would maybe make a little more sense with the ff7 remake), but it'd likely be something non-game specific like moogle, cactuar or black mage or something.

As for melee, well you are asking for DLC for an offline disc last-last gen game that hasn't be printed since 05, who's development team is likely long gone or scattered. Even if they made an HD remake, square would have to have a big hand in developing it (which would make no sense) for them to even consider an extra square char, but even if they did refer to the last paragraph about it never being zack.

So please don't wait for nintendo on this one, if it really is your dream (kinda lame dream tbh, and thats coming from me) then become a master modder, or get rich enough to buy the rights of melee and zack. My advice, pick a different dream, one that won't give you only a couple of days of joy.

And why zack anyway? He is like baby cloud, he is so damn cliche and clueless. Now I want black mage in PM.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
who's development team is likely long gone or scattered.
actually, they're hiding in the shadows.
I've just recently extended my Hal script to import data from Wii Channel TV, so they're still out there, but god knows what they're doing... heh

get this: in Wii Channel TV, the format uses most of the same structures as Melee and even has a string table, but the material structures have been completely redone as well as a different type of entry point has been added, it's more similar to Kirby Air-Ride data.

Now I want black mage in PM.
oh goodie, another fanboy who likes the most horrid ledge grabbing in smash history.

I hate PM for at least 4 reasons: (maybe more)

- the removed claim of the obvious Melee clone
(@devs: if you don't want it like Melee, don't copy the physics and half-A apply them, and change the M to something less obvious than Project Melee)
^ ProjectBrawlMod if you want to get with the facts, or ProjectC for the competitive community

- the community who for some reason like the horrid control and even go as far as calling the mod it's own official game
(@idiots: I don't see the other "games" like Brawl- in that category, get over yourself people, it's just another mod like the rest of them)

- the horrible ledge grabbing (worse than Melee)
(yes, it's bad enough to where I can officially hate it for not being able to recover)

- not having my main (Pichu)
(if you're going to make a boasted Melee clone, at least put the Melee characters in)

PM is nothing more than a mod built by spud-heads for a spud-head community.

and don't even begin saying Pichu sucks!
Pichu is stronger than most other characters in Melee! (of course excluding characters like Gannon and Bowser)
the only thing he has against him is his weight.

Pichu is a highly technical character who forces you to stay away from your specials and special-smashes.
he's basically the Little Mac of Melee.

if you know how to play Pichu, it's very easy for everyone to underestimate you

EDIT:
if you people want to attempt to call me out and try to bamf me for only stating the facts of why I hate these non-sensical standards and the stuck up community, my skype is right here:
Tcll5850 (DarkPikachu)
send me a contact request telling me you want to complain, and I'll help you remove that brick in your brain-box.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Looks like I hit a nerve there. For the record, I play PM about once every 5 months, but new chars in melee is a no-go. And pichu sucks, speed will raise him on the tier list over time though.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Looks like I hit a nerve there.
yah, quite a big one... lol

I'm not mad in the least, just beyond annoyed with the community.

And pichu sucks, speed will raise him on the tier list over time though.
oh blow me with this whole teir garbage, it means nothing when you can take the lowest teir and kick the highest teir's A with them.

for the fact you're saying Pichu sucks is telling me you just don't understand how to play him.
I challenge you to clear very hard classic mode with him without taking any damage >;3
(taking a little damage is an exception, because it is brutal... heh)

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Wow this thread is still alive.

I hate PM
I'm happy that I'm not the only one.

no, I really want Zack in melee. not trolling. Its literally my true dream in this life.

And don't assume I'm a little kid just because you think what I'm doing is silly.
May I ask how old you are?

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
@idiots: I don't see the other "games" like Brawl- in that category
I do :cry:

(@explanation: It's because B- is literally the only reason I'm still modding Brawl period. When 4.0 comes out I will probably grab it then leave the Brawl mod scene entirely, sans the Reimu PSA project I am doing. But that's not for this thread.)

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I do :cry:

(@explanation: It's because B- is literally the only reason I'm still modding Brawl period. When 4.0 comes out I will probably grab it then leave the Brawl mod scene entirely, sans the Reimu PSA project I am doing. But that's not for this thread.)
I think you may have misunderstood what I was pointing out...
PM is NOT a game, it's a mod of a game called Super Smash Bros. Brawl

if you see that, you're not an idiot ;)

I absolutely love B- because it's actually fun to the fullest of it's extent.
it boasts about being borked, but there's actually a limit they put on it just to make it fun.
AND it has Pichu, which I still need to get that update ;_;

I havn't yet because of a few things
- bad SD card (can't afford a new one)
- not very much time to fiddle with Brawl and any mod (including my hacked Brawl)
<<< I work on UMC, which is the equivalent of working on at least 10 different games at the same time as well as an IDE and scripting language.
>>> and I know very little about making games as the last math class I took in school was Algebra1 (they didn't have anything programming-related)
- life getting in the way and slowing me down

it's a shame there isn't any hacking put towards building ISOs rather than modding them, and it's a shame Riivo does the best job at doing this, and isn't even FOR ISOs
(why Riivo?, because you don't need to build an ISO, just load the raw game-files off your USB)

problem with Riivo is you need to load a disk...
yea... good luck doing that with my Wii with a busted lazer

Last edited:

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
@ Tcll Tcll

It's interesting that you point out PM being a mod as a flaw when you yourself are a modder (or at least someone writing a utility for modding). Why should that be important? Isn't the final product the important part? Not how hard you worked on it?

Disclaimer: I'm not a PM fanboy, I'm in the same boat is schmooblidon. I very rarely play the game and much prefer melee. I'm also not trying to stir up an argument, I'm just genuinely curious haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom