• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YouTube Channel 'Melee Mechanics' Explores Controller Modding, DI, and More

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
In case you aren't aware of the excellent 'Melee Mechanics' YouTube channel, it has explored several of Melee's nut-and-bolt mechanics in great detail. The most recent video, however, is not about in-game mechanics. Instead, Kadano explains controller modding processes - in this case custom notches. It is a long video coming in at a little over 33 minutes, but it shows the whole process from start to finish, and is a great resource for those looking to make techs such as short wavedashes easier.

Kadano marking off spots to add new notches

Other recent videos include 'hitlag and directional influence,' and 'tumble and jump buffering.' All three are great watches, so put aside some time to learn more about Melee from an excellent teacher.

Melee Mechanics: GCC Modding Custom Notches
The Derrit needs air conditioning. Follow him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I imagine this ingenuity will no doubt help players with the finer details of Melee...

And that's alright with me. :)

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Especially happy about the comprehensive and concise DI video. Based Kadano indeed

SuperBoshi

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
JOHN#281
That's actually really cool, I'm looking forward for the videos in the future, they have me subscribed ! It would be even more neat if they did Project M and even the other smash titles as well!

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Don't most tournaments ban modded controllers?

Nice video regardless.
I feel like the modded controllers they are talking about when they ban them at tournaments is the hardware inside is messed with. Like turbo buttons and stuff. I could be wrong, but that's what I think is what they mean.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Ugh, I subscribed to this channel quite a while ago, but haven't gotten a single indication of him posting videos since then. Curse you Youtube and your stupid trendy layout. :(

D

Deleted member

Nice. This might help players with broken / damaged controllers in need of repair.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
nvm that,

don't see how this can be illegal

Last edited:

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
These "umms" and stutters every five seconds is killing me.

That being said, great video. Better presentation would've made it better.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
"Smash Ain't No Joke."
- Doc Louis

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
this is really bordering on tournament legal in my eyes
making angling fox's firefox easy mode

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
I tried to get exactly 18°. 17.1° would have been perfect, but I didn’t want to risk having the zone in the mod90° area.
@ Kadano Kadano , your vid was helpful and all, and I just did this to my controller yesterday. But, When i was doing this, I really wish you had written the steps down and its reasoning for it because some people find it easier to understand words than actions on a screen.

Overall, great video and thanks for helping me get consistent longest possible wave dashes down!

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
If you can have arcade sticks with different gates you should legally be allowed to do the same with a gc controller.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
Don't most tournaments ban modded controllers?

Nice video regardless.
I'm not 100% sure but i think most tournaments ban PCP board and relocated button placement mods. That said I don't feel like they should, Zenith had a 64 tournament that allowed Keyboards and a controller won anyway.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
If you can have arcade sticks with different gates you should legally be allowed to do the same with a gc controller.
I get what your saying and I agree with it in this case but FGC Tournies allow certain mods that affect inputs and I do not want to see that in smash.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
this is really bordering on tournament legal in my eyes
making angling fox's firefox easy mode
It's not really any better than spring removal or holding down the trigger button when plugging a controller in

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
Why doesn't everyone just put the time and effort to use the flat sides of the controlstick hole. I've done it for so long that it has become second nature.
Why learn a skill the hard when there's a more intuitive way to do it?

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
I get what your saying and I agree with it in this case but FGC Tournies allow certain mods that affect inputs and I do not want to see that in smash.
No, they don't. The only mods are aesthetic or are different types of buttons or sticks. That's it.

Top Bottom