• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Top Album Cover Art

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I figure that there are threads for just about every other aspect of music so why not cover art. So what are some of your favourite album covers and why?

For me:

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Quite possibly the most famous album cover in the music world. It's design is both simple and at the same time incredibly memorable. Apparently the triangle is supposed to resemble an egyptian pyramid which the band thought accurately resembled the theme of greed that the album repeatedly focuses on.

The Mars Volta: De-loused in the Comatorium (Limited Edition Cover)

A truely bizarre cover for a truly bizarre album. The album tells the story of a man who overdoses on morphine and rat poison in an attempt to take his own life. This man falls into a coma as a result of his attempted suicide in which time he experiences visions of humanity in his own psyche. Upon waking, he is dissatisfied with the real world and jumps to his death. To me the division of the image into the real world above and the dream world he has created in his head buried deep below. I thought it was a clever way to represent a very complex piece of work.

Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile

I love this cover for the way it defys conventional artistic design. It looks so gritty and dirty which is why I feel it perfectly fits one of NIN's darker albums.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
This might be an odd list for me, because I find that not many of my favorite artists really blow me away with their cover art choices.

The first cover I thought of was this one. Carnavas by Silversun Pickups. To be honest, there's not much to my reasoning other than "it's very pretty." Even the font is pretty, though I do think its placement kind of disturbs the balance of the art behind it (but that's nitpicking).

The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi by The Receiving End of Sirens is neat just because of how well I think it captures the spirit of the album. The combination of a gramophone and Earth is kind of interesting by itself, but when you listen to the album and understand the themes and devices the band put into it, it takes on a new life.

This one's The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me by Brand New. I don't even know where to begin. I just can't help but stare at it when I see it. It's one of those pictures that would obviously spark an amazing story or anecdote. Plus, I think I just have an affinity for masked people.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Peace Sells - Megadeth

This album cover always intrigued me. It's like even peace has been handed to the greedy businessman of the world.

Vulgar Display of Power - Pantera

This one is just cool. It perfectly represents the theme of the album.

Paradise Lost - Symphony X

I like this one because it brings a new representation of the Fall of Man story, and I believe the book of Revelations, which the album is mostly based upon.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Yeah, a lot of my favorite artists aren't super well known for their album art, but whatever. There are still some great ones among them.

Tubular Bells, by Mike Oldfield

Classic. While the album itself has faded a bit from its fame back in the day, the cover art has lost none of its power. I find that it fits the album very well, though that could just be because I associate the two.

Demon Days- Gorillaz

Gorillaz are known for their distinctive art style, as well as their music. I think this picture captures each band member really well. Simple yet effective.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I figure that there are threads for just about every other aspect of music so why not cover art. So what are some of your favourite album covers and why?

For me:

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Quite possibly the most famous album cover in the music world.

Ahem.

Peek~

Smash Lord

Matches his music

Only the best album
from 08

**** YEAH

When is eating babies not cool?

No need to explain

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Oh right I forgot about Abbey Road, my mother wanted us to get an Abbey Road pic while we were in England a few years back but we forgot about it :p

D

Deleted member

Toto IV (Toto), The Wall (Pink Floyd), Then & Now (Asia), and The Best of A Flock of Seagulls.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Most of mine have already been posted actually...this is the only one I can think of right now.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Stratovarius - Visions

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Ayreon - 01011001

Kamelot - The Black Halo

Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe

Probably too many, but whatever. That Carnavas album looks pretty sweet too.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Great thread!

Ween - The Mollusk

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante

David Bowie - Low

Rickety

Peace and Love
A Collection of Great Dance Songs

I really like this picture of The White Album;
the original release had the name of the band embossed on the cover of the vinyl (and had an individual serial number to boot!).

It's difficult to separate great albums and great album covers,
though I definitely think that The Beatles and Pink Floyd do the best job of fitting both.

Hm, I really like Pet Sounds and Floyd's first album, but I wouldn't call their covers
the best ever. Ack, this is harder than I thought. I'll let someone else post Revolver
and Wish You Were Here and instead go with something hip and original...

Argh, I give up. Pink Floyd has some of the coolest covers ever. And even their bad albums with bad covers have really terrific titles.

If I had to pick my most favorite album cover (and my most favorite album name), I'd have to pick:

Obscured by Clouds, by Pink Floyd.

Even though I wouldn't put the actual album in a list of my top ten favorites, I definitely
love the way it slowly surrounds your ears in this shroud of gray, cloudy moodiness.
It really forces me to reconsider and look at a lot of things in my life in a different light.
That probably sounded really sappy, but I can't help it. I really like things that present you
with a different way at looking at things and give you a chance to reexamine everything.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
My personal favorites:

UnderOath - Define The Great Line

Thursday - Full Collapse

The Devil Wears Prada - With Roots Above And Branches Below (due out May 09!)

From Autumn To Ashes - Holding A Wolf By The Ears

Besides those, the pics from this thread have been great. Keepz it up!!

Chaco

Never Logs In
I personally like this. Sea of Treachery's "At Dagger's Drawn"

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer

I've never seen an album cover that summarizes the artists music as good at that. Over the top silly badass music

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i was beaten to The Beatles
so instead i will put incubus

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
...Really? That's one of your favorite covers? I mean, to each their own, but wow. I don't know that I could think of a more boring thing to put on the cover of an album than that. :urg:

Spire

III
BRoomer
...Really? That's one of your favorite covers? I mean, to each their own, but wow. I don't know that I could think of a more boring thing to put on the cover of an album than that. :urg:
It seems as if it was included simply because it's Incubus, as were the other two. These things happen.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Thought of another one I'm a fan of.

They Might Be Giants are awesome. I have no idea what this picture means, but I like it. It feels like it means something, even if I have no idea what.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Thought of another one I'm a fan of.

They Might Be Giants are awesome. I have no idea what this picture means, but I like it. It feels like it means something, even if I have no idea what.
Man, I haven't listened to TMBG in years. This may inspire me to go dig up my old CDs.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord

I kid, here's the real list.

MCR- The Black Parade.

Brokencyde

Gorillaz- Feel Good Inc. (Single)

WWE Themeaddict V.6

Odd list, but they're cool to me.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
well Abbey Road has already been said, so I'll leave that one off, but here are a few of my favorites

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

Audioslave - Audioslave

and a single cover for Zero by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I didn't even realize that that was an eyeball inside of a mouth the first time I saw it. It may not be the best cover, but I think it's pretty cool.

edit: just realized Nirvana's Nevermind wasn't on here. that's a pretty iconic cover

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i'd probably spend hours googling album art lol but here's one of my favorites

Top Bottom