• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
I decided to watch a few yoshi vs sheik sets, and use that method from earlier.

Slush (yoshi) vs Karna (sheik) (3 stock)
Game 1 Smashville (loss)

fair :16
nair :42
bair :3
uair :6
dair :6

jab :6

ftilt :2
dtilt :5
utilt :7

fsmash :4
dsmash :0
usmash :9

nB :10
uB :43
dB :8
sB :0

dash attack :4

dash grab :4
pivot grab :3
standing grab :1

air dodge : 4
shield :5
spot dodge :2
roll :2

Game 2 Skyloft (win)

fair :12
nair :22
bair :4
uair :8
dair : 3

jab :7

ftilt :2
dtilt :4
utilt :6

fsmash :9
usmash :8

nB :26
uB :48 :yeahboi:
dB :4
sB :2

dash attack :5

dash grab :1
pivot grab :1
standing grab :2

air dodge :4
shield :9
spot dodge :4

Game 3 Smashville (loss)

fair :18
nair :20
bair :5
uair :6
dair :9

ftilt :5
dtilt :7
utilt :2

fsmash :5
dsmash :2
usmash :6

nB :14
uB :48
dB :5
sB :1

dash attack :4

dash grab :0
standing grab :1

air dodge :6
shield :6
spot dodge :7

-Slush doesn't shield much.
-huge usage of nair
-doesn't air dodge much

Raptor (yoshi) vs Vinnie (sheik) (2 stock)
Game 1 Smashville (loss)

fair :11
nair :14
bair :1
uair :4
dair :8

ftilt :0
dtilt :1
utilt :1

fsmash :2
dsmash :1
usmash :5

nB :8
uB :33

dash attack :2

dash grab :1
pivot grab :0
standing grab :2

air dodge :12
shield :18
spot dodge :3
roll :5

Game 2 (Smashville) (loss)

fair :14
nair :15
bair :0
uair :1
dair : 3

jab :5

dtilt :1
utilt :6

fsmash :2
dsmash :1
usmash :2

nB :7
uB :45
dB :1

dash attack :0

dash grab :0
standing grab :0

air dodge :8
shield :19
spot dodge :3
roll :1

-uses smash attacks the least, compared to the other two yoshis
-rarely tries to grab
-low egg lay usage

Denti (yoshi) vs Samboner (sheik) (3 stock)
Game 1 (Smashville) (loss)

fair :24
nair :12
uair :8
dair : 10

jab :16

ftilt :1
dtilt :0
utilt :0

usmash :11

nB :14
uB :25
dB :2

dash attack :8

dash grab :2

air dodge :43 :yeahboi:
shield :31
spot dodge : 3
roll :11

Game 2 (Town & City) (win)

fair :13
nair :14
bair :0
uair :15
dair : 12

jab :12

fsmash :0
usmash :8

nB :8
uB :29
dB :3

dash attack :8

dash grab :6
standing grab :3

air dodge :27
shield :24
spot dodge :2
roll :7

Game 3 (Town & City) (loss)

fair :20
nair :8
uair :16
dair : 15

jab :17

usmash :13

nB :7
uB :27

dash attack :14

dash grab :2

air dodge :30
shield :20
spot dodge :1
roll :19

-air dodges... a lot
-rarely uses tilts
-rolls a bunch

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Man that's a bad video example to use of me, especially since it's against sheik.
I do all three of those things in other matchups and most recent vids.
Karna and I are 2-1 in sets so far.

ividal

Smash Cadet
somebody has seen the video i posted? would really like some feedback

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
id like some feedback in this match plz, its against a fox during a crew battle i had a while ago
https://youtu.be/C4R8O_nSD_k?t=36m30s
fight starts at 36:30
You roll too much. We can jump out of shield now! Rejoice! And make sure to use that option to escape shield if you find yourself stuck!

Don't shield Fox's lasers. It's kind of pointless to do so, because he can just keep firing and you'll have to let go eventually. I think your shielding the lasers was a result of you trying to approach with Dash > Shield. This doesn't really work with Yoshi, because his OOS options are bad. You should consider switching to things like SHAD.

After you lost your first stock, it looked like you got incredibly anxious for the kill, despite still being up an entire stock. Relax, especially when you're still in the lead. Don't just rush back in all flustered, you just open yourself up to comebacks.

ividal

Smash Cadet
thx for the tips delta, ill make sure i stop rolling that much ;) and yeah i got a little anxious in the end, cuz i knew i wont that match and was just looking for the kill, ill try to relax next time in the last stock moments, again thx for the tips delta

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Hey, I know you have me listed as "Eevzy" in the OP, but I have officially changed my smashboards username (it was old). When you get a chance, please change Eevzy to Aveean in the OP :)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
It's a tradition for Yoshi mains secondaries or their new mains to be either Ganon Luigi or Pikachu.
You forgot Ness, I think there are also other 3 people who also play Ness other than me in this board

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
>_>
<_<
I second R.O.B. whaddaya want me to do

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
>_>
<_<
I second R.O.B. whaddaya want me to do
I never saw you posting in the yoshi boards before though

and enough of this, this is the "Yoshi video thread" and not the "which secondaries the yoshi mains have thread"

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
You're right, I should fix that. Been a while since I uploaded any Yoshi play (got a few videos here several pages back, probably from January). Maybe when things calm down at work I'll push up something more recent.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Moar Matches

Vs Sheik

Vs Sanic

Please critique

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Atm fingerp@ss mains ganon and bowser jr, I haven't seen too much of his yoshi yet... he also returned the favor and 2-0'd me and made it to grand finals in the past tourney over a week ago. Sadly most of his destruction matches weren't recorded, except for WF and GF :s.

Anyways back to topic, Lukinhasss stop air dodging immediately as sheik goes for a follow up after her throw. Instead the much safer option is double jumping away and avoiding that whole situation. For the sonic vid, you had a habit of nairing into his shield. Try to instead maybe go for empty jump into jabs or into egg lay as he did put his shield quite a lot. Also maybe experiment more with SHAD because I saw you mostly go for a jump backwards bait when he tried approaching.

Also I'm curious, I never uthrow, whats your reasoning for it over doing dthrow instead?

Last edited:

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Moar Matches
I think you over-prioritize the air and don't spend enough time on the ground to mix up. It got you shield grabbed a lot even out of nothing. U-air definitely isn't the best option for breaking out of rough situations which it looks like you threw out a lot, nair would obviously be the best choice instead of trying to start a 50% combo or something, you'll be safe and be back to neutral. You almosts always SHAD into the stage every time you came back high, I'd recommend changing your momentum with a B-Reverse to keep them guessing. As well as that, almost every edgeguard was a fair attempt. Nair would've lasted through a roll or get up or traded with a get up attack instead of trying to hit a frame perfect get up with a frame 16 or whatever move. Take whats guaranteed instead of going super aggro into trying to get the big hits.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Atm fingerp@ss mains ganon and bowser jr, I haven't seen too much of his yoshi yet... he also returned the favor and 2-0'd me and made it to grand finals in the past tourney over a week ago. Sadly most of his destruction matches weren't recorded, except for WF and GF :s.

Anyways back to topic, Lukinhasss stop air dodging immediately as sheik goes for a follow up after her throw. Instead the much safer option is double jumping away and avoiding that whole situation. For the sonic vid, you had a habit of nairing into his shield. Try to instead maybe go for empty jump into jabs or into egg lay as he did put his shield quite a lot. Also maybe experiment more with SHAD because I saw you mostly go for a jump backwards bait when he tried approaching.

Also I'm curious, I never uthrow, whats your reasoning for it over doing dthrow instead?
Uthrow forces the opponent into the disadvantaged state. It's not very useful against Sheik I guess but against Sonic I think it's a decent option considering he has poor landing options. I often manage to get a fell hits by doing this.
Also this: https://youtu.be/t-YElEdHkaw?t=204
This villager did a weird DI which made him land in the above platform and I daired him.

Also, one guy tells me to SHAD more, and other guy tells me to SHAD less, what should I do? lol

Last edited:

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Alright, so since it seems they're not gonna upload to YouTube, I have a few awesome matches on archive from a tournament with 25~ entrants. This is the best I've played imo and puts my other videos to shame so check it out pls.

http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/v/6557351
Losers QF's vs. iQHQ Ribs: 1:40:00

Losers Semis vs. Keitaro: 1:52:00

Losers Finals vs. Angel Cortes: 2:07:00

Grand Finals vs. False: 2:17:45

Grand Finals set 2 vs. False: 2:28:20

There's also a few in winners bracket if you wanna check that out too but I was playing ****ty in winners lol

Last edited:

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Maybe SHAD was a poor term for the situation. I did in fact mean out of your disadvantaged states and trying to return to the stage you would always try to airdodge and DI into them most of the time, instead of using SHAD from the neutral. Nearly every time you were close to your opponent either coming from the disadvantage or in neutral or whereever you would always commit to an option, and you were trying to use returning to stage in the same way you would use SHAD in the neutral.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites

The only set of mine from Smash Town PA that got recorded (this was my first set in losers' bracket). I can already see some problems (most notably my inconsistency in short hopping and overusing Down B, though I didn't get punished much for the latter), but other critique/analysis would be welcome!

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740

The only set of mine from Smash Town PA that got recorded (this was my first set in losers' bracket). I can already see some problems (most notably my inconsistency in short hopping and overusing Down B, though I didn't get punished much for the latter), but other critique/analysis would be welcome!
Watched the first game:

First of all, you seem to just be throwing attack in the air... like during that game aruodn 50% of your attack werent even close to hitting your opponent and you were getting punished for it. Learn to space your attacks better.

Over used of Down b, not enough eggs in my opinion... You can force him to approach because you have better long range - mid range tools. By forcing him to approach, your retreating neutral B become 20x times better.

Don't use your second jump if not needed, especially not followed immediatly by an UP B. What I mean is that I saw you use it and if the opponent reacted and tried to attack you, you wuoldnt have been able to come back.. and dying at like 60% sucks.

I think spacing is the biggest thing to work on, varying approaches could be good too but im guilty of that as well. The thing that need the most spacing pratice is neutral a in my opinion. you seem to throw it wayyy to early and when you raech your opponent you are almost at the end of the animation

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
A lot of good points; I'll attribute my excessive movement (on things like the constant double jumping) to nerves, since I had been knocked into losers' in the previous set (against a really solid Dedede, though I did take Game 1). Game 2 I think I had better movement/spacing patterns.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Thinking of using Yoshi as one of my mains. Though this replay is almost a month old and I might have improved slightly since then, I would still like feedback on what I can do to improve. I kind of struggled to finish off that King Dedede player, looking for openings to K.O.

Last edited:

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I'm mad you choked bruh. =(
Same. I forced the airdodge after the fair, as planned, and all I had to do was uair which was also planned but I spaced out for like half a second and did it too late. x.x Would have been the most epic comeback ever. Maybe even something that could be in GRSmash lol.

Top Bottom