• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meet the Community, Smash Poll Part 1

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
First: Please take the poll here.

The url for sharing is: tinyurl.com/SmashPoll

Lots of information here:

Includes demographic breakdown, character and stage preferences and more! The tables don't seem to work on Smashboards, sorry.

Loads of graphs in the spoiler:

After the Japanese poll results, people asked me to be more thorough with the data. I decided to make a worldwide poll for Smash. It's translated in Japanese, Spanish and Portuguese. If you would like to translate it into an additional language, please contact me.

Here is the the translation guide. Special thanks to @LIQUID12A and @Frostwraith for their hard work.

All of the data will be released in this OP, and on my blog, sans names. The names question was included only to discourage people from retaking the poll multiple times.

I also decided to include knowledge questions to see how far certain news has spread in the various communities. It's a long poll, but I tried my best to be as thorough as possible. Please let me know if there are any errors.

Here's the format of the MegaPoll (In note format):

Page 1: Personal Identification:
Name
Sex
Site
Series
Favorite Smash Game
3DS/Wii U/ neither/ both
How many hours Smash (All)
" " 4
Project M?
amiibos?

Page 2: News
Evo 2014 Melee?
Evo 2014 Wii U?
Miiverse Theme?
Smash 4 development
Artsy Omni
2014 Spring DLC
amiibo sellthrough
Not in Gematsu

Page 3: Likes and Dislikes
For Glory or for Fun?
What char like?
Stages 3DS
Stages Wii U
Why do you like?
Char dislike
Stages 3DS
Stages Wii U
Why do you dislike?

Page 4: DLC
Have you ever DLC?
Season Pass
Kind of DLC?
What char?
" " has a high chance?
Most you would pay char
" " stage

Page 5: Tier List
Need nerfs
Why powerful?
Need buffs
Why weak?
Custom Moves
Custom equipment

Page 6: Additional thoughts
Good points
Bad points
Additional Thoughts

French has been added to the poll, thanks to @SunnyDust!

So far, almost 41% of the respondents have not played Project M, or do not know about it. The question has had a 99% answer rate, even though it's not required.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just so you all know, I have added this to the Wolf for DLC Facebook pages that I have created (the Facebook site, I mean). Hopefully, there will be plenty of those who see and take the poll if they come across it on Facebook.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Voted. When can we expect results?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He said the poll will be open till the end of March, so 3 weeks.

:231:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Show more of this, More poll, means more fans and we can discover the true character and thoughs of people about Smash bros.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Just so you all know, I have added this to the Wolf for DLC Facebook pages that I have created (the Facebook site, I mean). Hopefully, there will be plenty of those who see and take the poll if they come across it on Facebook.
Great! Thanks so much!

Voted. When can we expect results?
The poll will end at the end of March. I will post the RAW data here essentially as soon as the poll "closes", and post personal analysis later on.

We just crossed over 770 responses!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Great! Thanks so much!

The poll will end at the end of March. I will post the RAW data here essentially as soon as the poll "closes", and post personal analysis later on.

We just crossed over 770 responses!
No problem. So far, apparently over 225 people have seen the link to your poll.

EDIT: So, you have over 770 responses so far?

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
What exactly will this poll accomplish? Just looking for some statistics?
Mainly statistics. I'm also curious to see just how popular certain characters are for DLC, and how Smash players identify themselves.

No problem. So far, apparently over 225 people have seen the link to your poll.

EDIT: So, you have over 770 responses so far?
Over 1,125 now.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Well all I know is that all cut veterans should return, plus a few newcomers should enter the fray.

And yes, I participated, was a very nice poll.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Mainly statistics. I'm also curious to see just how popular certain characters are for DLC, and how Smash players identify themselves.

Over 1,125 now.
That's good to know. Hopefully, even more people (of a big number) will take this poll.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Serious Sausage Fest: 92% of the poll respondents have been male.

North America currently represents around 75% of the poll.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

So far, almost 41% of the respondents have not played Project M, or do not know about it. The question has had a 99% answer rate, even though it's not required.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Can we get more results?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Since the poll is still open for another month, and I want to collect more data, I'm going to post the results little by little in order to encourage more people to take the poll.

That being said, here's the current results of favorite series (English only version). The order on the right hand side matches the order of votes. Please note, for the first 1,500 votes Yoshi's Island was not included as an option. So Yoshi's Island may have more support.

Also, if someone wants to help me with the graphics, please PM me.

Last edited:
Fire emblem and earthbound higher than say kirby and dk is very suprising. Sure the 2 series are tied to smash but 4th and 5th most popular? Sheesh

RIP kid icarus

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm not a dude and I like Kid Icarus.

Single-handedly diversifying the aggregate data, aw yis~!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fire emblem and earthbound higher than say kirby and dk is very suprising. Sure the 2 series are tied to smash but 4th and 5th most popular? Sheesh

RIP kid icarus
It asks if that series is their favorite.

Kirby and DK could be loved by 90% of the voters. Just not their favorite. Like me, I love most of the series up there but I voted Pokemon because its my favorite.

As for Mother and Fire Emblem being that high? It's probably because their fan bases are incredibly dedicated.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I expected Mario to be more popular, to be honest. I guess it doesn't have that appeal among more dedicated gamers.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I voted for Metal Gear. And so far, I've only played Ground Zeroes. Which was bloody amazing.

Zelda was my second choice, though.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
I would play Project M but my Wii U is a PAL Wii U and my Wii broke, and I don't think I can install hax0r things on my Wii U to get it working.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I would play Project M but my Wii U is a PAL Wii U and my Wii broke, and I don't think I can install hax0r things on my Wii U to get it working.
You can install homebrew on the virtual Wii console side of things. However, doing so will void your warranty. I'm very tempted to install it just for Nintendont, so I can play my Gamecube games in HD, but I don't want to void my warranty early.

Almost at 2,500 responses for the poll. Keep them coming!

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
So have you gotten more women to vote on your poll? lol

Nice job on the poll so far. I can't wait to hear the final results. Also if I still had my copy of Brawl, I'd probably be playing Project M by now, but I'm currently occupied with Sm4sh right now. Maybe someday though.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So have you gotten more women to vote on your poll? lol

Nice job on the poll so far. I can't wait to hear the final results. Also if I still had my copy of Brawl, I'd probably be playing Project M by now, but I'm currently occupied with Sm4sh right now. Maybe someday though.
For English it's over 2,000 males and around 70 female, and 40 other/ didn't want to identify. The other languages have shockingly similar perctanges of males responses too. Hardcore Smashers seem to tend to be male, so it does make sense, I guess.

D

Deleted member

I did the poll and added my pieces to it. I'm curious as to how, several months after the game released, if the unpopular characters that weren't liked in December are still not liked in March? I wonder if Dark Pit will firmly entrench himself as the least likable Smash 4 fighter, or if somebody else might be coming close.

I did the poll and added my pieces to it. I'm curious as to how, several months after the game released, if the unpopular characters that weren't liked in December are still not liked in March? I wonder if Dark Pit will firmly entrench himself as the least likable Smash 4 fighter, or if somebody else might be coming close.
I doubt it. Dark Pit will always be the scapegoat for everyone's hate.
Sakurai bias and a clone became a perfect storm of people placing unwarranted hatred.

On;y one I see coming close is miis or diddy from Hoo Haa

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I doubt it. Dark Pit will always be the scapegoat for everyone's hate.
Sakurai bias and a clone became a perfect storm of people placing unwarranted hatred.

On;y one I see coming close is miis or diddy from Hoo Haa
You are mostly correct about the contenders, wrong about the order. Diddy is currently #1 in character dislikes (English). Dark Pit is #3, and Mii Swordsman is #4.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You are mostly correct about the contenders, wrong about the order. Diddy is currently #1 in character dislikes (English). Dark Pit is #3, and Mii Swordsman is #4.
I'm calling it the Hoo-Hah Syndrome. :4diddy: Competitive perceptions can really tilt people (even casuals) for or against a character, it seems.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm calling it the Hoo-Hah Syndrome. :4diddy: Competitive perceptions can really tilt people (even casuals) for or against a character, it seems.

Eventually, I'd like to isolate the hardcore opinions and see how it compares to the casual ones. Right now, it's mostly hardcore players who have taken the poll.

So far no one has correctly guessed the #2 disliked character. This character does follow the Hoo-Hah Syndrome and is seen as OP.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It's Rosaluma! She's #3 on characters that need nerfs (you can figure out the first two!). She's also one of the most controversial fighters as her likes and dislikes are nearly the same number!

Top Bottom