• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wofl Q&A/Social

Rizen

Smash Legend
Where the hell are all the Wolf posters?!

I'm edgy from life. I try to reduce stress but I end up getting in a fight about organics with the Healthcare Triage channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl5GXArC134
My response:

After looking even further at the sources linked:
http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/healthcare-triage-organic-food/
I removed my 'like' of this video because the phrasing has a negative spin that is not entirely true.
"Here in Healthcare Triage we rely on research and research says there's no difference". 1:22
Not entirely true. I followed the sources from here
http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/healthcare-triage-organic-food/
to here
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/11/opinion/carroll-organic-food/
to the hyperlink in 'debates intensify' which leads here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/04/s...s-of-organic-meat-and-produce.html?ref=health
^This article is a good read if anyone's interested. The article addresses combined data from 237 studies. It does show some of the more positive aspects of organic foods.

2:40 "The other was phenols which was due to two studies that did not report sample size which is really odd." -video
"The organic produce also contained more compounds known as phenols, believed to help prevent cancer, than conventional produce. While the difference was statistically significant, the size of the difference varied widely from study to study, and the data was based on the testing of small numbers of samples. “I interpret that result with caution,” Dr. Bravata said." -article linked above.

3:34 "when they looked at all the food types and all the bacteria you can likely imagine they found no significant differences". -video
"Similarly, organic meat contained considerably lower levels of antibiotic-resistant bacteria than conventionally raised animals did, but bacteria, antibiotic-resistant or otherwise, would be killed during cooking." -article

4:06 "eleven more looked at adults who weren't pregnant. Most examined bio-marker levels in serum, urine, breast milk and seamen. [...] no significant difference." -video
"The study’s conclusions about pesticides did seem likely to please organic food customers. Over all, the Stanford researchers concluded that 38 percent of conventional produce tested in the studies contained detectable residues, compared with 7 percent for the organic produce. (Even produce grown organically can be tainted by pesticides wafting over from a neighboring field or during processing and transport.) They also noted a couple of studies that showed that children who ate organic produce had fewer pesticide traces in their urine." -article

And more specific cases where organics have been proven to have more vitamins:
"Critics of the Stanford study also argue that lumping all organic foods into one analysis misses the greater benefits of certain foods. For example, a 2010 study by scientists at Washington State University did find that organic strawberries contained more vitamin C than conventional ones." -article

On a less health oriented topic brought up:
5:04 "towards the end of his career he argued there's just no way to feed the world's population without chemical fertilizers and technological advancement. With no proven benefits from organic methods we're only hurting ourselves and the chance for others to eat cheaply and easily by advocating for them." -video

This has a deceptive anti-organic spin. Technological advancements don't clash with organics. In fact in the link Dr.Aaron Carrol provided here:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/
it says:
"I also firmly believe that increasing the chemicals used in agriculture to support insanely over-harvested monocultures will never lead to ecological improvement. In my mind, the ideal future will merge conventional and organic methods, using GMOs and/or other new technologies to reduce pesticide use while increasing the bioavailability of soils, crop yield, nutritional quality and biodiversity in agricultural lands. New technology isn’t the enemy of organic farming; it should be its strongest ally."
A specific example from a paper from 2007 states (pg7):
http://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/archive/17/10/pdf/i1052-5173-17-10-4.pdf
"Agriculture has experienced several revolutions in histori-
cal times and, much like mechanization did a century ago,
changes in farming practices are once again transforming agri-
culture as farmers increasingly abandon the plow in favor of
long-shunned no-till methods. Could the growing adoption of
no-till and organic methods foster a new agricultural revolu-
tion based on soil conservation and soil ecology rather than
soil chemistry? The typical arguments offered for why organic
agriculture cannot feed the world have been blunted by recent
studies showing that organic farming can produce both crop
yields (Phillips et al., 1980; Blevins et al., 1998) and profits
(Pimentel et al., 2005) comparable to conventional methods.
Although no-till and organic methods may not be as productive
and competitive in all situations, substantial expansion of both
could happen without sacrificing either yields or profits.
Instead of using a plow to turn the soil and open the ground,
no-till farmers push seeds down through the organic matter
from prior crops, minimizing direct disturbance of the soil.
Leaving crop residue at the ground surface instead of plow-
ing it under allows it to act as mulch, helping to retain mois-
ture and leaving the soil less vulnerable to erosive rainfall and
runoff. Consequently, no-till farming can greatly reduce soil
erosion (Fig. 4) and even bring erosion rates close to soil pro-
duction rates (Fig. 5). In addition to dramatically reducing soil
loss, no-till methods can improve soil health and reduce costly
energy inputs"

While I acknowledge that organics aren't as healthy as people assume and the video has several valid points, I find it to be misleading. The words "no significant differences" are thrown in to cover when organics are in fact better and the entire video spins organics in a bad light. You should acknowledge the context that "safe" is defined by FDA standards and many people and countries like Europe disagree with this. The FDA has approved some weird stuff for food like this:
http://www.collective-evolution.com...l-feeding-you-a-chemical-used-in-silly-putty/
The source article even states:
"The scientists sidestepped the debate over whether the current limits are too high. “Some of my patients take solace in knowing that the pesticide levels are below safety thresholds,” Dr. Bravata said. “Others have questioned whether these standards are sufficiently rigorous.” "
This is an important point. Is "safe" really safe? Many would argue it's not and then the differences become significant.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/10/banned-foods.aspx
There is a long list of foods that other countries ban.

This is not hate mail but to inform you and those who read my post why I have removed my 'like' from the video and replaced it with a 'dislike'. Organics have a lot of promise, although not perfect, that can be adopted for a better future of agriculture. I have a lot of respect for the Healthcare Triage videos but I dislike this one.

Thank you.

That'll get a lot of responses :facepalm:. I usually respect the guy is what makes it hard. The pursuit of knowledge and accurate information just goes on and on and on :dizzy: and is full of obstruction, bias and further information. I'm tired. Maybe I shouldn't read the replies for a few weeks until I get stuff moved. It's not like I am ignoring other people's points but I can only focus on so much. :(

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I should point you to @ShermantheTank

It was reported by American scientists that our wheat is now mutated and that's why so many people are allergic to whey and all that stuff nwo a days.

I got a new computer and I am probably going to start streaming myself playing Mega Man and the occasional Nebraska Smash Fest. So you can see my Wolf in action, though I don't play as wolf very often, lol. All my secondaries are getting goodish.

There's a chance you might see an addition to my gamer tag in the near future.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I host games every other Thursday (basically) and one Saturday every month. Though that might change as I might be getting a new job. But that would be my smash streaming "schedule" though I do host random SF's occasionally and JBM usually comes and he is arguably the 3rd best melee player in the KS/IA/MO/NE/SD/ND/MN region behind Darkrain and Darkatma, Jace being the other player who you might argue for.

I'd love to run all kinds of NES/SNES/Genesis/PS1 stuff but I'm not going to games unless I can do them like really well. Even games I used to be insane at like Contra or 2D SMB stuff I won't do until I get back to a good level. So basically I am just going to sit around and play video games all day for a while.

I have a strong run of a rom hack going for Claw 1, it's easily the best MM1 hack, like not even close.

I think I'm going to practice the MM3 My Little Pony Game with my left hand only as I am right handed to show how easy the game is (and with 2 hands). There is a picture of me playing that with 1 hand on facebook while feeding the baby and I beat 7 levels with 2 deaths.........so anyway it's super easy as **** so I'm gonna learn it and get a WR for it. Also it might help that I would run a MLP game due to Bronies being on TWITCH a lot.

I want to run a MM1-6 hack, so 1 of each, but I am not sure what games I want to do for MM2 and 6.

1 is Claw, (plan on doing bytes Adventure because it's easy as ****)

3 is MLP I want to do Burst chaser. Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rUAIq2TVg If I ever get good at video games I will do a run similar to this one, basically the sameish minus the parts with lucky weapon energy drops vs taking damage to save time up until the 2nd time you visit Gemini Mans stage. Then it all becomes luck games TAS style, though I'm gonna check out the spike invincinbility thing),

Seriously Burst Chaser has potential to be the most technical platformer ever made.

4 is Minus Infinity (idk I might wanna actually finish that Indonesian one for 4) which if you have read my Mega Man hack rants before, you know it's the best. I'll need to DL the new version of it. There is some competition for that game as a ton of people play it and they even ran it.

5 I am going to do Airsliding (idk about what after), probably the newest version. The newest version was made by some guy who pretended to be the guy who made the first version of the game and this dude named PureSabre who thought he was that other dude. They improved it and all that and this guy pretended to have made revolutionary hacking developments to get him to go along with the project. So idk if it's ethical to run the new version or note LOL

2 there are too many choices, but maybe DEM.

6 I want to do Master X but iirc it has stupid ****ing parts to it, like tons and tons fake floors and instant death traps and impossible bosses, maybe not Cray levels or hard.. So I may just do the easy Ridley hack that anyone could beat who is good at MM6.

I plan on also recording the MM1 record but that **** is so hard to get a "roll" for the game that allows you to do a "take damage to save time" run properly and not kill you at the end. That's the problem with random enemies :/ Honestly the mm3-6 ones are all up for grabs, but I am thinking about doing the gameboy ones, too. I think I might do MM5 for the NES because they don't use the fastest route IMHO. You need to get the charge slide 2nd.

I don't plan on getting records for games, but I would love to get good enough again at Contra or LOZ or SMB games, to where it would be worth watching. I hate watching people who stream who aren't good or don't know what they are doing or are trying out new stuff (for the most part, it is neat to watch soemone work out how to do a glitch or a new technique, but it's rare).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol, IGN strikes again :p
Not that it was a bad game but I wouldn't call it best of all time. Just saying.

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
No, you're wrong.

Mega Man 3 is the best game ever, because the only games that are better than it are mega man related. Like Mega Man 9 is better but it came out like 18 years later, and X2 which I would say is the best, and I was HELLLLLLLAAAAA surprised they didn't have even X on the top 25.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Seriously, look at the artwork, the innovative weapons and functions of weapons, the music, the animation (gemini mans stage is flash mans stage but better.), the level design, the fact that they have "challenge" stages before you get to Wilys Castle. It's really long, it's punishing. Plus the Slide and Proto Man. It has a good plot to it if you read the instuction manual and know what's going on.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like the Mega Man series but I like the X and Zero series better. X2 was awesome!
I like a lot of games. It's hard to say which are better because they're apples and oranges.

Well, I need to get some sleep. Mind my right working now not capacity full- if you get my meaning.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
No, Mega Man 3 is easy to call the best. Like, it's easily been the best game since I can remember. It's why Mega Man 9 was so good because I actually said "You know, this might be better than MM3".

Rizen

Smash Legend
Personally, I'd rank MMX2 over any Mega Man game. I like the action faster paced with more complex controls.

It's hard to say which games are better than others.
Games like A Link to the Past (ALttP) will always be one of my all time favorites. I wish they'd make a new Zelda in the style of ALttP (not 3D like Link Between worlds) with SNES style graphics but use modern technology to create a HUGE world with tons of detail, enemies, interactive things, dungeons and items. The 4 Zelda games that I felt truly let the player explore and had mystery without a bunch of hand holding and exposition were LoZ for the NES, ALttP, Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask. I can't really compare side scrollers to bird's eye and 3D games.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I wouldn't argue against X2. It's probably the best game ever. But with the "slide" and the fact that you have to MINE to get your e-tanks filled up AND you have to sit and wait like 10 yars for Dr. Light to finish talking when he gives you upgrades, I'd say that mm3 is more non-stop action as opposed to MMX2.

Link to the past is probably the best non-capcom game ever made. Even though I like the NES one more, maybe, it all has to do with the map in ttp vs NES. Assuming you play games the way they are supposed to be played, without a guide, the NES game is impossible and ******** if you don't know where stuff is, where as they tell you the location of each dungeon and let you worry about figuring otu how to actually enter the castle or whatever.

Rizen

Smash Legend
A great thing I liked in X2 was using charged morph moth shots to fill sub tanks quickly. Too bad the other games didn't include that.

CsxMark

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarkLv7
I can see where you're going with that McPe... Kinda skeptical on the mechanics tbh especially since namco is on it. Not saying they're bad but it might be a lil bit foreign...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'm trying to not pass judgment until I can actually play the game.

The thing they did with ledge invincibility is cool though, definitely a step in the right direction and a sign that Sakurai is paying attention to the competitive scene.

:059:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Double post of **** *** ** ****** justice yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

http://www.twitch.tv/pixelsvideogames/b/503640115

I'm playing on literally 0 hours of sleep for 2 days and about 10 over 5 here, so I literally end up miss the c-stick a few times and SD for the first time in tournament in years, but I think after the first friendly with JLO I get it on, but you should watch the awesome reads I tried to have and ended up getting.

I doubt you care about melee, but if you want to see me get embarrassed on live stream really badly, RRR basically took 3 stocks from me in the most ******** ways of all time in the first match of winners finals. I later turn super saiyan and JBM and I end up not losing a match after one. If you want a link to any of that, lemme know, it's probably at the start of this video or the very end of the first part of this video, the 1 hour and whatever one.

JLO, Iowa Peach, and I ended up getting 2nd to Joker and Bpow. I'll post where I play just for funzies, but the 1v1 Bpow matches are going to make you go crazy. We sandbagged grand finals, it's pretty hilarious.

104:00 is where it starts, first I do a friendly with JLO (authors note, I just realized I had a tag in here, it was "Cshot" lolol, I haven't used that tag in a long time. @105:40 or so I miss the wall jump but still am able to get back on. At 108:10 or so right after I hit the shine if I had daired he would have died. Might have to start thinking about that. I use D-smash off the stage with shine a lot vs snake/yoshi/rob but in this situation a d-smash might not have killed but a dair would have vs the entire cast imho.

Then a doubles match vs RRR and Wang, an Iowa player who plays with Bpow and Joker and the others sometime. 1st match I own, 2nd match I get destroyed but we win.

Then after having a realization of how bald I actually look, we play Joker and Bpow at 139:40. The most godly of Side B's happens at 140:19. At about 144:00 I get into an argument about how Castle Siege and Halberd aren't really stages. We end up counter-picking Delfino which isn't legal and get beaten badly.

Now is when I do 1v1 vs Bpow. He already told me to make .gif of basically the entire 1st and 3rd matches. 154:50. But after watching the matches it isn't THAT bad.

Then we play the LF doubles matches. Right after the bpow 1v1 matches

Then we get to play Joker and Bpow again............I think you'll be surprised by our plan to win, but it almost worked!

I am later on stream playing PM and I win, but it's ****ing stupid. Diddy can be off screen at the very bottom of the corner of the stage and still grab the god damned ledge. I almost lost to the guy and I ended up losing the Bpow exclusively because I don't play PM and I got mixed up by the fact that the game has so many stupid things in it and you can cancel every god damned move into like every other move and it's like "When do I get to actually punish people for missing their moves?" It's as if they made DBZ and Brawl- into the same game with wavedashing.

Also I press start as I'm about to lose my 3rd stock lol.

Then I am on commentary for Grand Finals of PM and WF/LF and the 1st set of GF for melee. I haven't listened to it yet, but I remember not remembering what I had said as I was saying it, but a lot of people were laughing so xd.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Good stuff :)
Lol I'm often tired at tourneys. I've done stuff like the SD at the end of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzY...list=PLr1TA6mS1hktdulr9lJw-BMxmKhdQrCmt#t=230
Oops, didn't upB like I wanted to so I know the feeling :p

@ Rob, Gheb and whoever uses Link:
Someone wanted to make a Link community combo video. I don't if we'll go through with it but it's good for activity so whatever. If you want to submit Link combos you can post them here: http://smashboards.com/threads/2014-link-boards-combo-video.348337/

I better post something about Wolf:
Wolf has a lot of great fan art
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wolf+o+donnell+pics&qpvt=wolf+o+donnell+pics&FORM=IGRE
I like this one:

I'm 99% sure Wolf will return in SSB4 ;)

rsr2

Smash Lord
Speaking of Fan Art, my friend made this for me to put on my stream today. What do you guys think?

wolfhearthstone.jpg

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I have the THugz combo video with LINK, that's it, though I have some link matches on yt that are like way way old.

link doesn't have to be blue, I got Link on random and did some crazy **** and same with zombie link.

Top Bottom