• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Witness My True Power!" - Melia Antiqua for SSB4 DLC (NOOOO XCX SPOILERS PLEASE!)

Do you want Melia to be a playable DLC character?

• Yes.

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • No.

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Oh my gosh how did I not know this was a thread

I love Melia! Fiora is my favorite Xenoblade character but Melia is a very close second~ She could have a very unique and technical moveset - I love characters like that. The moveset in the OP is awesome, btw.
Could you please add me to the supporters list @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 ? Thanks <3

Last edited:

it's my 2nd time with GIMP so i don't care that it is bad but there it is.
and the background is that one pic with the monado and the mechonis

EDIT much better version

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I didn't know this was a thing. I would also like to join this list of supporters please.There are things I'd like to discuss about the moveset you made for her though.

I don't like that her Neutral-B must be used once all her elements are summoned. She should be able to use it one at a time like in the actual game. Each element could just be a strong horizontal blast kind of thing.
  • Thunder could be just a really fast but really long zap across the screen.
  • Fire could be a big explosion in front of her.
  • Wind could be like Donkey Kong's punch variation, or a black hole that'll send them flying.
Either this or the blast gets stronger depending on the number of elements stored.

Also, lack of "Aha! The weak spot!" in her taunts makes me sad.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Speaking of taunts, "Was that a little too much?" has to be a taunt or victory animation. Probably a victory animation since she says it when a battle is finished.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"Oppose me and your destruction is inevitable!"

"Is this all you're capable of?!"

They should also be victory quotes.

Happy to see this thread get bumped. Too bad there isn't really anything to go by other than X news, which Melia isn't apart of. At least it's hype

Unless that fan theory where X takes place on the world of the first comes to pass. Melia's long lifespan would be quite helpful there :troll:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It doesn't seem overly :083: for Mira to be Xenoblade's world after
Shulk creates a new world
Some of the creatures look a bit like Telethia.
But then I'm probably grasping at straws.

It doesn't seem overly :083: for Mira to be Xenoblade's world after
Shulk creates a new world
Some of the creatures look a bit like Telethia.
But then I'm probably grasping at straws.
well with the apparent
shulk/child of shulk
it really is possible.
PS does anyone know which trailer that is from? I missed it. God if Melia shows up in X I would be absurdly happy it isn't even funny.

I still desperately want a Melia amiibo

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm too lazy to type up some good reasons why Melia should be playable.. Maybe later, but I will eventually

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Just give them the link to this thread lol

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
IMO:
B: elemental discharge
SideB: spear Break, pressing B again transitions into starlight kick which trips or something
UpB: idk
DownB: Summon elementals
I feel like being able to summon elementals and discharging them is most true to Melia in Xenoblade.

Summons (in order? Wind is first because recovery):
Wind: Increases speed and jump height. discharging launches Melia upwards with windboxes on either side
Earth: Increases weight. Discharging creates a weak projectile that gives enemies flower effect
Ice: reduces damage taken. Discharging launches a semi-fast projectile that freezes for a bit (think :popo: Blizzard or Judge 8)
Flare: Increases damage dealt. Discharging creates an explosion if it hits.
Aqua: Slow regeneration. Discharging creates a slow, large projectile that doesn't disappear on hit
Bolt: Increases elemental effects and strengthens discharges. discharging creates an :4robinm: Thunder-like projectile with more range and more powerful.
Copy:a copy of the most recent elemental
Each summon has a cooldown similarly to Monado Arts

Melia sounds like the most annoying character to fight lol
Honestly idk I tried to translate Xenoblade effects into Smash

I guess Wind is like a super minor buff? like multiply everything by an amount that's not that noticeable like x1.05 jump height + speed. Or reduce lag or something. Agility is an OP stat in Xenoblade

Bolt I tried to mimic Ether Up. So if you have elementals up already, their effects on you are increased (more jump height, etc). Discharging elementals will also make them do more damage + knockback by a little

Earth is higher weight. Ice is reduced damage taken, so I guess think Monado Shield but split up?

Honestly idk how this is supposed to work either. Maybe with the more elementals you have, you have more lag on attacks or something?
Ideas from the Shulk Social thread

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I support this completely, probably my favorite Xenoblade character joint with Riki (rip in assist trophy heropon), but I think Melia has more viability for a unique moveset. While I think Dunban or Fiora (despite how much I dislike Fiora) have far more likeliness, I think Melia would be a very good addition. Also, while I like the idea of elemental burst being the neutral-b, there's issues on how that would translate in to Kirby's mimic, will it just cycle through the elements without control?

P.S. make me supporter pls, I voted Melia in the Smash Ballot.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Perhaps it could upgrade Kirby's special moves into twice the power?
Air Cutter gets double the recovery.
Hammer gets twice the hitbox.
Stone gets a larger hitbox.
That could work.
Or just use the other specials just like how Olimar Kirby's ability works.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I actually had an idea for her moveset.

I was thinking she could be a bit like Shulk & Robin. How she can get buffs from her own Specials, but she'll have to wait for cooldown on each of them.
Like some of you said, Summon Bolt, Wind could be good choices. What about Summon Earth?
Summon Bolt (Cooldown 6 seconds) could be her Neutral and increase her Speed when active, but she'll have to disperse it or else she'll lose the buff for 10 seconds (Like Robin and his/her tomes). Wind (Cooldown 5 seconds) increase Jump slightly. Earth (20 seconds) to increase Defense, Weight and do Poison Damage to the opponent.
So if you don't disperse the Elemental before it wears off, you'll have the cooldown added onto the loss of the buff.
And for her Down B... I was thinking maybe Starlight Kick, if she does it off stage. She'll be in a helpless state, but on ground, if she sweetspots it (On the heel of her boot), it'll meteor smash, but if it sourspots, it'll do a weak spike.

As for Final Smash. I was thinking maybe a Mind Blast that acts like a wider version of Samus' Zero Laser.

What do you guys think? I feel like mine is decent, but it ain't as good as some of your other suggestions.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
As for Final Smash. I was thinking maybe a Mind Blast that acts like a wider version of Samus' Zero Laser.
I never liked the idea of Mind Blast being the Final Smash. She's a Xenoblade character so she should be using a chain attack like Shulk. She could have Reyn and Fiora as partners because I don't think Sharla has the chance to be included since she has a rifle.

Melia could even do Mind Blast as the final attack.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
How about Element Burst for final smash? All of her specials get a massive boost and when the durating ends she does Burst End followed up with Mind Blast. I'd rather she differs from Shulk and not have a chain attack, as Xenoblade doesn't just have chain attacks, in fact when using Melia as leader I almost never chain attack because I don't see any benefit to it when I could just keep the free revives, though that's just me.

FreedomTP

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4811-7470-9645
I had no idea this thread existed, and the ideas presented are basically the same as what I've been thinking.
Sign me up, please!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Found this in 4chan:

I thought this was pretty funny to see Melia without a staff.
?
I never liked the idea of Mind Blast being the Final Smash. She's a Xenoblade character so she should be using a chain attack like Shulk. She could have Reyn and Fiora as partners because I don't think Sharla has the chance to be included since she has a rifle.

Melia could even do Mind Blast as the final attack.
I don't understand this idea. Mind Blast is one of Melia's signature moves, it's one that she uses in cutscenes and it represents her well. There's no precedent for having Chain Attack as the Xenoblade Final Smash, Shulk doesn't have any particularly remarkable moves that haven't been included in his specials, so Chain Attack was really their only option. People would complain if she got a Final Smash that's uninspired, especially when there's so much more material for her - look at Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, or Lucina, for crying out loud.

Now Starfox, on the other hand...

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
She's extremely unlikely but I would love to support her either way. She is my 2nd favourite behind Fiora. Also, Jenna Louise <3 Need I say more? Really like your moveset and sigs, Bluepikmin.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Ok so I was bored.

I'm going to make a complete moveset for Melia, or at least attempt to.
MELIA

Leader of the High Entia, master of ether. Melia's playstyle revolves entirely around her elemental system, in which she can summon elementals to give herself buffs and discharge them to inflict damage and debuffs.

Melia is a fragile character without her elementals, so proper management is crucial to playing Melia well.

Attributes
Jumps: normal amount (one midair jump)
Walking speed: slow (on par with Zelda)
Running speed: slow (on par with Link)
Jump height: lacking (on par with Robin)
Air speed: mediocre (on par with Ness)
Fall/fast fall speed: screw this gonna make it exactly Shulk's
Weight: semi-light (on par with Palutena)

Specials
Neutral Special: Summon Elemental - this is Melia's signature move and basically makes her as a character. There are eight summons: Wind, Ice, Flare, Earth, Aqua, Bolt, Copy, and Reflect.

Pressing B once will bring up four elementals around Melia, pressing a direction will choose one.
Pressing B a second time will bring up the other four elementals, again, pressing a direction will choose one of them.
Pressing B a third time will get rid of these and allow Melia to move again.

illustration:

So for example if I press B then Up I summon Wind elemental
if I press B-B-Forward I summon Earth elemental
etc.

Melia will not be able to move, but pressing shield will also cancel summon selection.

Upon summon, Melia will say "Summon ___" and make a pose that can be canceled into other things similarly to Shulk's Monado Arts. Additionally, a colored orb will appear around Melia's head to indicate the summons she currently has equipped.

You can have 3 summons at a time. First summon will appear above Melia, second summon in front, third summon behind.

Summons have a cooldown before they can be summoned again. Copy will summon the last elemental you summoned regardless of cooldown, but Copy also has a cooldown.

Each summon has special effects but I'll go over those later.

Side Special: Spear Break - Melia pokes forward with her staff, pressing B again will cause her to do a dropkick. The dropkick knocks opponents away from her at a very low angle, potentially causing tripping. Moderately high endlag on the dropkick and very punishable on whiff, but successful connect puts Melia in an advantageous position.

First hit: Spear poke. 4%, high hitstun but low knockback, moderate shield damage.
Second hit: dropkick. 7%, semi-spike angle OR trip.

Up Special: Burst End - Melia raises her staff in the air and releases a yellow ether field around her that lifts her up slightly. Does not put Melia into helpless mode. On the ground, Melia does not rise. slowish startup

Initial hit: 6%
subsequent hits: 2%. trapping though

Down Special: Elemental Discharge - Melia discharges her most recently summoned elemental.

Each summon has a special effect that I'll go over later.

Normals
Neutral A: Melia swings forward with her staff twice, then does a quick stab. Pretty standard

First hit: 3%
second hit: 4%
last hit: 4%

Ftilt: Melia does a swipe with her staff. slightly disjointed

11%

Utilt: Melia does an overhead sweep with her staff. slightly disjointed. Hitboxes both in front and behind, may not catch low crouches (Kirby, WFT, Jigglypuff, G&W, etc)

8%

Dtilt: Melia does a quick poke with her staff on the ground. slightly disjointed.

6%

Dash attack: Starlight Kick - Melia does a dropkick similarly to her Side-B, however it knocks opponents up and has less lag

8%

Smashes
Fsmash: Melia stabs forward with her staff, any summoned elementals swirl around the tip to do extra damage.

15% (staff hit)
lingering elemental damages afterwards (discussed below)

Usmash: Melia raises her staff upward, summoned elementals pop up briefly.

13% (staff hit), very low knockback but decent hitstun
elemental pop up beyond the staff afterwards, discussed below

Dsmash: Melia bombards her feet with three blasts of ether. Similar to Lucas's. Elementals affect damage.

first hit: 5% base, varies based on third elemental.
second hit: 6% base, varies based on second elemental.
third hit: 10% base, varies based on first elemental.

Aerials
Nair: Melia swings her staff in front and behind her. similar to Toon Link

front hit: 6%
back hit: 6%
landing lag: 14 frames

Fair: Melia does a large swipe in front of her with the staff. similar to Robin's

11%
landing lag: 23 frames

Bair: Melia swings her staff behind her and summons ether from the tip of it. Multihit

3%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 5% (last hit launches)
landing lag: 21 frames

Dair: Melia swings her staff downwards. Basically Palutena's

9%
landing lag: 24 frames

Uair: Melia extends her staff upwards, any summoned elementals swirl around the tip of it.

3% on staff hit, little knockback
elemental damages: discussed below
landing lag: 13 frames

Grabs & Throws
Grab: fairly fast. Melia reaches out with her hand and grabs the opponent.

Pummel: slow pummel, she drives the staff into the enemy. summoned elementals each do damage as well

1%

Fthrow: Melia bats the opponent away with her staff.

6%

Bthrow: Melia tosses the opponent backwards, similarly to Marth's

5%

Uthrow: Melia tosses the opponent upwards and sends three ether orbs after them (think Falco's or Fox's)

initial throw 5%
Ether orb 1: 1%, depends on first elemental
Ether orb 2: 1%, depends on second elemental
Ether orb 3: 2%, depends on third elemental.

Dthrow: Melia slams the opponent to the ground and unleashes ether on them. dependent on summoned elementals

base damage: 5%

Elemental Effects
Each elemental has several effects in moves and on Melia. Each elemental also has a way they act when used in Melia's smashes, Uair, uthrow, and dthrow

Wind: increases Melia's speed. puts her on par with Charizard's run speed and adjusts air speed and walk speed similarly
General attributes: a weak elemental, but fast and has slight windboxes
Discharge: she sends it down, making a weak explosion at her feet with 1-2% but propels her upwards. Includes slight windbox on sides and bottom and large windbox above.
Fsmash: 1% damage
Usmash: 2% damage
Dsmash: 4%/4%/7% damage
Uair: 3% damage
Pummel: +0.5%
Uthrow: 0.5%/1%/1%
Dthrow: +1%

Flare: increases the strength of Melia's ground attacks (not including grab/throw), with a 10% multiplier
General attributes: medium speed with good damage and high launching power
Discharge: medium speed projectile with explosion. 11% damage and good launching power
(note: these percentages do not reflect the strength increase)
Fsmash: 3% damage
Usmash: 4% damage
Dsmash: 7%/7%/12%
Uair: 6% damage
Pummel: +2%
Uthrow: 2%/2.5%/3%
Dthrow: +3%

Bolt: increases the strength of Melia's aerials and her throws with a 10% multiplier
General attributes: fast, good damage and moderate kill power
Discharge: fast projectile, approximately the speed of Robin's Thunder. does 9% on impact
(note: these percentages do not reflect the strength increase)
Fsmash: 3% damage
Usmash: 4.5% damage
Dsmash: 6.5%/7%/12%
Uair: 5% damage
Pummel: +2%
Uthrow: 2%/2%/3%
Dthrow: +3%

Aqua: Melia heals 1% every 2 seconds.
General attributes: slow, weak, lacks kill power but heals Melia
Discharge: pretty slow projectile (speed of Lloid Rocket) that has high-ish hitstun. 4%, heals Melia for 3%
Fsmash: 1% damage, heals Melia by 1%
Usmash: 1% damage, heals Melia by 1%
Dsmash: 3%/4%/6% damage, heals Melia by 2%/2%/4%
Uair: 2%, heals Melia for 1%
Pummel: +0.5%, heals Melia for 1%
Uthrow: 0.5%/1%/1%, heals Melia for 0%/1%/1%
Dthrow: +0.5%, heals Melia for 2%

Earth: Melia is heavier (on par with Lucario)
General attributes: slow, lacking kill power, but does lots of damage
Discharge: slow projectile that does 13%
Fsmash: 4%
Usmash: 5%
Dsmash: 7%/8%/13%
Uair: 7%
Pummel: +3%
Uthrow: 3%/3%/4%
Dthrow: +3.5%

Ice: Melia takes less damage by 10% (this makes her artificially heavier)
General attributes: medium speed, average damage, freezes on impact (similarly to Judge 8)
Discharge: medium speed projectile, does 7%. Freezes for a somewhat short amount of time
Fsmash: 2%
Usmash: 2%
Dsmash: 5%/6%/9%
Uair: 4%
Pummel: +1%
Uthrow: 1%/1.5%/2%
Dthrow: +2.5%

Copy: copies the previous elemental.

Reflect: basically Reflection. Melia has a reflect status on her (similarly to a Franklin badge) that cause projectiles to be reflected at a 45 degree angle with 1.2x multiplier
General attributes: average in everything, but turns opponents around instead of dealing knockback and reflects projectiles (1.0x multiplier in attacks)
Discharge: medium slow, large projectile that reflects other projectiles with 1.4x multiplier directly back. deals 6% damage and has a Cape effect. reflecting a projectile will not make it disappear
Fsmash: 2.5%
Usmash: 2%
Dsmash: 5%/5%/9%
Uair: 3.5%
Pummel: +1%
Uthrow: 1%/2%/2%
Dthrow: +2.5%

Interesting things
Melia's pummel can do 10% damage with 3 Earth elementals, or 7.7% with 2 Earth and 1 Bolt...
Similarly Melia's Dsmash can do 28% with 3 Earth elementals, or 30.8%/29.7% with 2 Earth and 1 Flare...

balanced out of course by lackluster attributes

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
That might be the most well designed moveset I've ever seen. Her unique ability is kept very similar to Xenoblade, she's very technical, complicated, and strong but she's also balanced. I also really like the idea of elementals affecting some of her attacks by being attached to them. Amazing job Kenniky. tbh if Melia got in with a moveset like that I'd drop Zelda for her

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I don't understand this idea. Mind Blast is one of Melia's signature moves, it's one that she uses in cutscenes and it represents her well. There's no precedent for having Chain Attack as the Xenoblade Final Smash, Shulk doesn't have any particularly remarkable moves that haven't been included in his specials, so Chain Attack was really their only option. People would complain if she got a Final Smash that's uninspired, especially when there's so much more material for her - look at Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, or Lucina, for crying out loud.

Now Starfox, on the other hand...
The only reason I think another Chain Attack is the better choice for a Final Smash is because it gives an excuse for the team to include more Xenoblade characters for us in some way. If Fiora were to make it in instead of Melia, she could have a Chain Attack with Reyn and Melia, or vice versa. Other than that though, I understand why Mind Blast would work better as a Final Smash. The same could be said about Final Cross. I imagine both would work kinda like Samus'.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I feel like with that moveset Melia would be fun to watch because of all the different playstyles she can have. Like you could have all agility based with lots of Wind, damage based with Bolt Flare Earth, or just projectile spam

Variability in a character is cool :4shulk: :4pacman:

Also I just realized I forgot taunts and victory poses

Taunts:
"Was that a little too much?"
"Witness my true power!"
"Take me lightly at your peril."

Victory quotes/poses:
"But we (I?) mustn't be reckless."
Summons lots of elementals and makes pretty colors
"I can feel the ether... flowing through me!"

Against Shulk:
"You have much to learn about the fairer sex, Shulk." :troll:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
An idea I had was that Melia's voice actor plays the current companion to Dr Who.
So if Melia were to get into Smash Bros they could have an advertising partnership with the BBC promoting Melia in Smash Bros, Xenoblade 3d, Xenoblade X and Dr Who at the same time.
But this is Nintendo we're talking about so it sadly won't happen with how badly the Wii U's been advertised.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
The art Japan made of her is stunning.

This was before smash released and her chances on the site are I wanna say 5% but Fiora is at 30% or so. Poor Melia. That art alone makes me want her in a lot! That guy makes amazing art for smash and possibly even puts Sakurai to shame. http://ikusaba.client.jp/character/

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
The art Japan made of her is stunning.

This was before smash released and her chances on the site are I wanna say 5% but Fiora is at 30% or so. Poor Melia. That art alone makes me want her in a lot! That guy makes amazing art for smash and possibly even puts Sakurai to shame. http://ikusaba.client.jp/character/
Siiiiiiiiick. Fiora's art though.

There's an actual spoiler for those of you who don't know already

Top Bottom