• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Freezes at Stage Select Screen

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've decided to get back into playing Brawl and when I decide to go to training mode, my Wii just freezes up and makes this loud noise and I can only turn of the machine by unplugging it.

I don't have any issues with any of my other games, so does anyone know what's wrong? The only thing I can think of is that I had some disc read errors with Brawl in the past so that might be it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Wii tends to not handle dual-layered discs as well as the single-layered ones. At least, I think that's the case.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only time I used mods was Brawl+ over a year ago. Never used texture hacks.

Crappin Falcon

Smash Rookie
try taking out any SD cards before you enter the stage select screen.

I have Brawl- on my SD card, and, for some reason, whenever I leave it in the Wii and try to pick Final Destination, my Wii freezes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So I did some more work. I checked my data management and everything and noticed that the SD card's data, which had about 9 games, was not being picked up unless you went to the SD menu from the home menu.

I checked the data on my laptop and noticed that I still had data from Brawl+ in my game. My guess is that Brawl did not take kindly to the mix of "legit" data and the mod data. Moral of the story: Don't mix the mod data with any other stuff or **** gets nasty.

I put the disc back into the Wi and I get an error message, requiring me to turn it off. This time, all my VC games are on the Wii's flash drive.

Jonas

Smash Champion
It sounds like a software issue and not a hardware issue. When your Wii gives up on dual layer discs, you usually just get a DRE message, not a total freeze.

I once played around with some silly Brawl hacks. Turns out they corrupted my save file for good so that the game would always freeze when I entered certain stages or listened to certain music. Luckily someone had made a fix that I could just download and restore my save file with. Maybe you played a buggy version of B+ and just never had your save file fixed?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Should I delete my save file then? Then again, my Wii will either not recognize the disc or give me the disc read error.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I've recently had this problem when going onto the 'Additional Rules' menu. I'm using texture hacks, and have a new character selection screen. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Pop out any SD card you have. Mine freezes if I leave the SD card in there that has PM on it.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Don't I need it whilst I'm playing, or does it just need to load up and then I can remove it?

Top Bottom