• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
What we see is what we get. If Richter Belmont from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night used divine storm to kill Dracula, we could just assume the same would work against Ganondorf. Not much thought would be put into this because we'd be simply working with what we see.
Well, that doesn't involve physics either way. How would you determine, say, whether or not Mario could survive a power bomb from Samus without using physics?

D

Deleted member

Ganondorf can be defeated by Samus with the use of the light beam, and if you think the light beam won't kill Ganondorf, she could send him into a dark dimension using the darkburst once he's stunned by the light beam. Pit can also defeat Ganondorf, being an angel himself and acquiring the sacred bow and sacred arrows from 神様, or literally, "Lord God". While Ganondorf is referred to as a god by Zant, the difference between him and 神様 is he's an actual god. If the connection between him and Dyntos is true, then not only has he created the sacred bow and arrow, he's created light arrows, which was used to defeat Medusa, the goddess of darkness. Then there's Link and possibly Sonic and Shulk. Considering it's possible that at least five can defeat Ganondorf, this bumps Ganondorf down the tier list just a bit.
Huh. I didn't know any of the 4 characters you just listed have been in a canon appearance in a Legend of Zelda game to prove your assertions. Colour me surprised!

As for Link, he is unable to beat Ganondorf without the right tools and the acceptance and mastery of his Triforce of courage. He sometimes also requires the help from 7 to 8 sages. Prior to that phase in the game, Ganondorf is untouchable by him. Link is not strong, but its the fruit of his journey that defeats Ganon. Not the person himself.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, that doesn't involve physics either way. How would you determine, say, whether or not Mario could survive a power bomb from Samus without using physics?
Metroid: Other M. Adam says power bombs vaporize humans and a single power bomb can kill a Queen Metroid. Not to mention, Mario can get hurt by weaker bombs.

Huh. I didn't know any of the 4 characters you just listed have been in a canon appearance in a Legend of Zelda game to prove your assertions. Colour me surprised!

As for Link, he is unable to beat Ganondorf without the right tools and the acceptance and mastery of his Triforce of courage. He sometimes also requires the help from 7 to 8 sages. Prior to that phase in the game, Ganondorf is untouchable by him. Link is not strong, but its the fruit of his journey that defeats Ganon. Not the person himself.
They haven't made a canon appearance. What's your point? Link has killed Ganondorf all by himself in LoZ using silver arrows. No one cares about what the person himself can do. Unless you're going to strip everyone of their abilities.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Metroid: Other M. Adam says power bombs vaporize humans and a single power bomb can kill a Queen Metroid. Not to mention, Mario can get hurt by weaker bombs.
Mario is much more durable than your average human. To determine that the bombs are weaker, you'd need to use at least a small amount of physics (large explosions are often more powerful than small ones).

D

Deleted member

They haven't made a canon appearance. What's your point? Link has killed Ganondorf all by himself in LoZ using silver arrows. No one cares about what the person himself can do. Unless you're going to strip everyone of their abilities.
Point is, Ganondorf cannot be killed indefinitely whatsoever, and the only means of sealing him away are weapons imbued with the power of the three goddesses. This includes light arrows, silver arrows, the silver sword, and master sword, probably among others. And even when he does "die", he'll either be reborn or resurrected nonetheless, because he's the embodiment of an unstoppable curse that is bound to the Triforce's existence.

Pit's light arrows have nothing to do with the goddesses' light arrows from Legend of Zelda canon. And neither does Samus' light beam. Gods in Kid Icarus have proven to be dealt with through unspecified physical means. Medusa hasn't died exclusively to light arrows for example. Hades could do just as he pleased with her life. Samus has technology, but there is no indication that it would be enough to kill a person with a direct connection to a goddess like Ganondorf.

Also, ability==what a person can do. Link has always needed help and TOOLS for his journeys. And more often than not has he needed Zelda to team up against Ganondorf. All of these tools were essentially based on the foundation of the power of the goddesses that created the world Hyrule resides in, and nothing less is enough to touch him.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Point is, Ganondorf cannot be killed indefinitely whatsoever, and the only means of sealing him away are weapons imbued with the power of the three goddesses. This includes light arrows, silver arrows, the silver sword, and master sword, probably among others. And even when he does "die", he'll either be reborn or resurrected nonetheless, because he's the embodiment of an unstoppable curse that is bound to the Triforce's existence.

Pit's light arrows have nothing to do with the goddesses' light arrows from Legend of Zelda canon. And neither does Samus' light beam. Gods in Kid Icarus have proven to be dealt with through unspecified physical means. Medusa hasn't died exclusively to light arrows for example. Hades could do just as he pleased with her life. Samus has technology, but there is no indication that it would be enough to kill a person with a direct connection to a goddess like Ganondorf.

Also, ability==what a person can do. Link has always needed help and TOOLS for his journeys. And more often than not has he needed Zelda to team up against Ganondorf. All of these tools were essentially based on the foundation of the power of the goddesses that created the world Hyrule resides in, and nothing less is enough to touch him.
Any character that has the power of a god can kill ganondorf. That's the ruling we made about this a long time ago. Also Ganondorf can die, when he comes back it's just a new Ganondorf. The same thing works for Zelda and Link, there are many of them, but the're all differnt being with their own powers and skills.

D

Deleted member

Any character that has the power of a god can kill ganondorf. That's the ruling we made about this a long time ago. Also Ganondorf can die, when he comes back it's just a new Ganondorf. The same thing works for Zelda and Link, there are many of them, but the're all differnt being with their own powers and skills.
Well, if everyone agrees on that notion, I have no problem resigning that argument.

By the way, it's almost always the same Ganondorf. The only reason why his origin story is entailed differently now and again is due to the 3 timelines.

In the Decline of Hyrule timeline, Ganondorf is continuously resurrected.
In the Twilight Realm timeline, Ganondorf is reincarnated once.
In the Hero of Winds timeline, Ganondorf is resurrected, then sealed within the flooded Hyrule.

All of these, minus the reincarnated variation in Four Swords Adventures, are the same Ganondorf as the one from Ocarina of Time.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Mario is much more durable than your average human. To determine that the bombs are weaker, you'd need to use at least a small amount of physics (large explosions are often more powerful than small ones).
Mario shows the same frailty as any other human. Samus deals with space pirates as well and they can survive extreme temperatures and even step into magma without dying. Mario can't. If space pirates will die from a power bomb, then Mario will die from one, too.

Point is, Ganondorf cannot be killed indefinitely whatsoever, and the only means of sealing him away are weapons imbued with the power of the three goddesses.
Can you prove that? Or do you expect me to accept your no-limits fallacy? Care to define what "the power of the three goddesses" is?

This includes light arrows, silver arrows, the silver sword, and master sword, probably among others. And even when he does "die", he'll either be reborn or resurrected nonetheless, because he's the embodiment of an unstoppable curse that is bound to the Triforce's existence.
The adult era says otherwise. After The Wind Waker, Ganondorf hasn't appeared. Can you please demonstrate any time Ganondorf has ever reappeared without the aid of someone else, such as Twinrova, Zant, or anyone? Also, that curse was not bound to the Triforce. It was bound to the descendents of both Link and Zelda.

Pit's light arrows have nothing to do with the goddesses' light arrows from Legend of Zelda canon.
So? They're arrows of light from Dyntos, who is a god.

And neither does Samus' light beam.
So? The light beam has the traits of the light arrows in that it's sacred and has life.

Gods in Kid Icarus have proven to be dealt with through unspecified physical means. Medusa hasn't died exclusively to light arrows for example. Hades could do just as he pleased with her life.
You're ignoring the fact that the weapons used against these gods are crafted by a god. Usually, the only way a god can be defeated is by another god. Also, Hades is the god of the underworld. Let me inform you. Originally, Medusa wasn't even on teams with the underworld. She was the co-ruler of Angel Land, but because of her hatred towards humans, caused her to be cast away by Palutena. That's when Medusa joined the forces of evil. Considering Hades brought back Medusa from the dead, he has just as much power taking her soul away.

Samus has technology, but there is no indication that it would be enough to kill a person with a direct connection to a goddess like Ganondorf.
Considering the light beam shows more destruction than the light arrows would ever dream of, I suspect it would, especially when it has the two necessary traits of the master sword: holiness and life.

You were trying to bifurcate Link from his equipment. Either way, Link has killed Ganondorf in the past before. Since he's composite, he has the knowledge to defeat Ganondorf as he did before without any assistance from the sages.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Mario shows the same frailty as any other human.
He can fall from extreme heights, get crushed by Thwomps, survive multiple explosions, and get burned multiple times over, and still live.
Samus deals with space pirates as well and they can survive extreme temperatures and even step into magma without dying. Mario can't. If space pirates will die from a power bomb, then Mario will die from one, too.
Mario can survive lava as well. Granted, he can't stay inside of it for prolonged periods of time, but it's not an instant kill or anything (in the 3D games, anyway).

D

Deleted member

As I have stated before, I won't argue more for Ganondorf's position, as people have before stated their standard within this discussion which simply does not comply with my opinion. But I'll explain my position in parts of your response, Dryn. That's all I will have to say about this though.

Can you prove that? Or do you expect me to accept your no-limits fallacy? Care to define what "the power of the three goddesses" is?
Tools or magic which comes from the three goddesses. The proof lies within the plot of Wind Waker, where Link initially faces Ganondorf with an unpowered Master Sword, and is unable to hurt him at all. He only managed to escape because Ganondorf was distracted by a dragon.

The adult era says otherwise. After The Wind Waker, Ganondorf hasn't appeared. Can you please demonstrate any time Ganondorf has ever reappeared without the aid of someone else, such as Twinrova, Zant, or anyone? Also, that curse was not bound to the Triforce. It was bound to the descendents of both Link and Zelda.
Twilight Princess did not feature a resurrection actually. His "execution" was during the start of the Child Era, but he escaped to the Twilight Realm after being granted the Triforce of Power and only communicated with Zant (masquerading as a god) to manipulate him.

Examples of when he resurrected himself without anyone's aid:
Wind Waker (Escaped from his seal from OoT)
A Link To The Past (Same)
The Legend of Zelda (Resurrected after Oracle of Seasons/Ages)

And in Four Swords Adventures, he simply reincarnated and got access to the Triforce of Power by gaining the Trident of Power.

The reason why Ganondorf hasn't returned from Wind Waker is simple. His purpose is to conquer Hyrule, and since Hyrule was doomed, and he was sealed within it, he is assumed to have lost indefinitely. It may change with the new Zelda game, but that's of course irrelevant.

So? The light beam has the traits of the light arrows in that it's sacred and has life.
No, it's alien technology made for the sole purpose of destroying the Ing. The Ing are not gods, they're just an advanced alien race.

You were trying to bifurcate Link from his equipment. Either way, Link has killed Ganondorf in the past before. Since he's composite, he has the knowledge to defeat Ganondorf as he did before without any assistance from the sages.
Not true. Unlike Ganondorf, Link is almost always a reincarnation, and a new person each time. The only exceptions are direct sequels such as Majora's Mask, Phantom Hourglass, and Adventure of Link. And yes, I do find the equipment relevant, as it has been shown in Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time that he won't be able to defeat Ganondorf without the assistance of the Master Sword. And the sword has no direct connection to how well trained his abilities are within sword fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Not true. Unlike Ganondorf, Link is almost always a reincarnation, and a new person each time. The only exceptions are direct sequels such as Majora's Mask, Phantom Hourglass, and Adventure of Link. And yes, I do find the equipment relevant, as it has been shown in Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time that he won't be able to defeat Ganondorf without the assistance of the Master Sword. And the sword has no direct connection to how well trained his abilities are within sword fighting.
When Munomario said Link was composite, he was referencing how we are using a "composite" version of every character. We take all of their best stats, skills, and equipment from every canon source they appeared in.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
He can fall from extreme heights, get crushed by Thwomps, survive multiple explosions, and get burned multiple times over, and still live.
He gets injured every time. He cannot survive falling in magma or lava. That only takes one time. Nuclear explosions produce more heat than magma and lava. By the way, it's interesting that when Goron Link tries to block the damage from the powder keg, he gets injured, whereas normal bombs won't harm him. This isn't relevant here, but I thought it'd be interesting to point out.

Mario can survive lava as well. Granted, he can't stay inside of it for prolonged periods of time, but it's not an instant kill or anything (in the 3D games, anyway).
He still gets burned, however.

As I have stated before, I won't argue more for Ganondorf's position, as people have before stated their standard within this discussion which simply does not comply with my opinion. But I'll explain my position in parts of your response, Dryn. That's all I will have to say about this though.
That's fine. You'll see that the majority of us here accept that other characters will likely not be able to harm Ganondorf because of his divine protection.

Tools or magic which comes from the three goddesses. The proof lies within the plot of Wind Waker, where Link initially faces Ganondorf with an unpowered Master Sword, and is unable to hurt him at all. He only managed to escape because Ganondorf was distracted by a dragon.
I'm not denying Ganondorf's ability to survive conventional attacks. I do deny that Ganondorf will be able to withstand Samus' light beam, Pit's sacred arrows and light arrows, and I deny that Ganondorf will be able to withstand Shulk's Monado, since it is a divine blade.

Twilight Princess did not feature a resurrection actually. His "execution" was during the start of the Child Era, but he escaped to the Twilight Realm after being granted the Triforce of Power and only communicated with Zant (masquerading as a god) to manipulate him.
Ganondorf already had the Triforce of Power before he was banished to the Twilight Realm. He used Zant as his pawn and likely escaped this way.

Examples of when he resurrected himself without anyone's aid:
Wind Waker (Escaped from his seal from OoT)
He escaped because Link drew the master sword.

A Link To The Past (Same)
I'm not familiar with ALttP. I only played up to a certain dungeon.

The Legend of Zelda (Resurrected after Oracle of Seasons/Ages)
Twinrova resurrected Ganondorf.

And in Four Swords Adventures, he simply reincarnated and got access to the Triforce of Power by gaining the Trident of Power.
Even with that in mind, a Gerudo male is born every century, so really wouldn't matter by this point, since this match isn't going to last a century and we're not going to throw in another Gerudo male into this match.

No, it's alien technology made for the sole purpose of destroying the Ing. The Ing are not gods, they're just an advanced alien race.
It's alien technology that is made up of light energy, and this light energy is likely from the Light of Aether, which is worshiped by the Luminoth and possesses bio-energy. It also contains other types of energy in there as well, making it a more powerful energy source. By the way, what's interesting is that it's so powerful that even Samus' scan visor cannot determine it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
He gets injured every time. He cannot survive falling in magma or lava. That only takes one time. Nuclear explosions produce more heat than magma and lava.
As proven by physics.
By the way, it's interesting that when Goron Link tries to block the damage from the powder keg, he gets injured, whereas normal bombs won't harm him. This isn't relevant here, but I thought it'd be interesting to point out.
Quite interesting.
He still gets burned, however.
And without physics, there's nothing to say that the power bomb's heat is greater than that of magma.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
As proven by physics.

Quite interesting.

And without physics, there's nothing to say that the power bomb's heat is greater than that of magma.
As proved by a larger blast. The power bomb looks more devastating than the bombs Mario has been hit by.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
And physics say that a larger blast generally equals a larger force.

And physics prove that that is the case.
It'd be more like heuristics than physics. If simply observing something is physics, then I'd agree. If I observed light and sound, both would appear instantaneous to me. Which one is faster? I wouldn't know just by observing.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It'd be more like heuristics than physics. If simply observing something is physics, then I'd agree. If I observed light and sound, both would appear instantaneous to me. Which one is faster? I wouldn't know just by observing.
We could say "that explosion looks bigger, so it's probably more powerful", but we need physics to get hard proof. I could counter the "bigger = more powerful" argument with the possibility of the explosions being made of different materials. If we exclude physics, we lose a lot of proof and the results become skewed. I'm working with physics.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Technically it's already an assumption that the lava the Space Pirates walk through is equivalent temperature-wise to the lava Mario encounters...

Different gravity and pressure are already physics-based reasons why the melting point of rock could be different. Add in fictional physics like whatever the hell is going on with gravity in Mario Galaxy or fictional rock composition and yeah... You have to make SOME equivalency and physics assumptions to have this debate.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
We could say "that explosion looks bigger, so it's probably more powerful", but we need physics to get hard proof. I could counter the "bigger = more powerful" argument with the possibility of the explosions being made of different materials. If we exclude physics, we lose a lot of proof and the results become skewed. I'm working with physics.
That's fine, but if you say physics doesn't apply with video game physics, then you have nothing to work with.

Technically it's already an assumption that the lava the Space Pirates walk through is equivalent temperature-wise to the lava Mario encounters...

Different gravity and pressure are already physics-based reasons why the melting point of rock could be different. Add in fictional physics like whatever the hell is going on with gravity in Mario Galaxy or fictional rock composition and yeah... You have to make SOME equivalency and physics assumptions to have this debate.
A lot of things rely on assumptions here because we're replacing video game physics with our own.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying that they do (unless contradicted, of course).
It seems like some video game universes do agree with the laws of physics, but some don't. Metriod seems to be pretty accurate so laws of physics could be used in an arguement there. Compare this to Pokemon, where physics are screwed with on a regular basis.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm not cherry picking; it's more a matter of priority. Games come first, and then we can use real life physics if there's nothing on the subject in the games.
So that means if something like a cannon ball or laser doesn't give us any details, we can use real life physics. Sounds good.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
And it does; we see the speed they move at, giving us the detail of speed.
Oh, please. Don't give me that. We see what these objects are and we know what speed they travel. Otherwise I'll start calculating gravity for everyone here and come up with inflated numbers. Or the opposite might happen.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Oh, please. Don't give me that. We see what these objects are and we know what speed they travel.
Yes, we know that they're projectiles and we know that they travel at the speeds they're shown at.
Otherwise I'll start calculating gravity for everyone here and come up with inflated numbers. Or the opposite might happen.
Gravity is clearly a selective law of physics in, say, Mario. Brick Blocks, ? Blocks, platforms, etc float in midair all the time (the latter also occurs in many other series).

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yes, we know that they're projectiles and we know that they travel at the speeds they're shown at.
The contradiction here is that cannon balls fly faster than what we see. Even when they're fired downward, they don't increase their speed from the gravitational force.

Gravity is clearly a selective law of physics in, say, Mario. Brick Blocks, ? Blocks, platforms, etc float in midair all the time (the latter also occurs in many other series).
Maybe, but the same can't be said for every other series. For example, without the gravity suit, I have proved that in Metroid Fusion, Samus can withstand 9,999.99 times Earth's gravity. By this point, no one is going to be able to harm Samus even outside of her armor.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The contradiction here is that cannon balls fly faster than what we see. Even when they're fired downward, they don't increase their speed from the gravitational force.
As I said, gravity is a selective law of physics in the Marioverse. If they were going faster than they seem, then why aren't they accelerating at all when going downwards? If gravity did apply, we'd see some sort of acceleration.
Maybe, but the same can't be said for every other series. For example, without the gravity suit, I have proved that in Metroid Fusion, Samus can withstand 9,999.99 times Earth's gravity. By this point, no one is going to be able to harm Samus even outside of her armor.
I take that as a typo personally; it's rather obvious to be honest.

By the way, floating platforms are present in the Metroid series as well:

And Sonic:

And Kirby:

And... well, you get the idea.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I think most 'floating' platforms are supposed to be considered 'relevant interactive portions of the background'. Like a tree branch hanging near something you want to get. The tree trunk will be in the background while just the overhanging branch can be leapt upon to reach that enticing powerup. Not actually floating.

Though visually there's a lot of times that these platforms aren't connecting to things in the background. I'd wager that most cases you find this is a hardware limitation for older consoles, or perhaps it's just an abstraction that's allowed for gameplay purposes.

At least in the Megaman and Metroid universes (you can even see in the image you posted how the platform Samus is on is probably a mechanical platform related to the machinery in the background), I'd hold to this.

For the Mario universe... well, "selective gravity" as you put it is probably the best explanation there for lore. So while there's certainly cases of 'background-based floating platforms' in Mario, there's a lot more obviously-intended-to-be-floating platforms. All of Cloudland for example.

I guess Kid Icarus would fall under this too.

Kirby kind of waffles back and forth between both of these. Some games all takes place inside where floating platforms are all connected to background, while others are more completely outdoor affairs where blocks just decided that falling was too much trouble and couldn't be bothered to move from their comfy bit of sky.

Not familiar enough with all of Sonic's games to comment. Pac-man's platformers are... weird. Link has a platformer -sorta- in Adventure of Link, and falls in line with Metroid and Megaman.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@ DjinnandTonic DjinnandTonic

The Metroid background looks a bit far back to me, but it's hard to say really. This seems rather inexcusable though:

As for Sonic, there is a location known as Angel Island, which is kept in the sky thanks to the Master Emerald's power. However, the screenshot in question is from before that was introduced, and in Sonic Adventure, when the Master Emerald is shattered (and the island falls as a result), the floating platforms don't fall.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
From what I understand, it isn't the "light" that harms him. It is the objects that are blessed by the Goddesses (Master Sword or Light/Silver Arrows). This is why Zelda has the ability to hurt Ganon too as she is a direct descendant of the Goddesses. (And Link was blessed by all 4 at some point in his ancestry).

Technically the only 2 other people I could see hurting Ganon is Pit and Palutena because they are also blessed by a God/Goddes or is an actual Goddess.

Mewtwo can reflect all projectiles as has been seen in episodes and movies. He can also teleport a whole mountain and destroy a whole building by just thinking it (without actually doing any effort, although this was old Kanto Mewtwo, not the new wimpy Mewtwo that is subdued by lighting from 5-6 pokemons), that pretty much makes him much more powerful than Samus.
Ragnelle and Falchion are both similarly blessed.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
As I said, gravity is a selective law of physics in the Marioverse.
That's completely untrue, otherwise Mario's falling speed would fluctuate every time he dropped. Or he'd just fly away by jumping.

If they were going faster than they seem, then why aren't they accelerating at all when going downwards? If gravity did apply, we'd see some sort of acceleration.
Because the game is programmed that way. You don't seem to understand gravitational force. As long as there is mass, there is gravity. Gravitational force is Fg = mg. So if Mario's mass is 58.967 kg. and gravity is 9.81 m/s^2, then the force he's experiencing is 578.46627 N. To convert newtons into weight, you can multiply this by 0.22481 pounds-force, or 130 lb. And yes, 130 lb. is a reasonable weight for Mario because he is 5'1". So he will have a wider waistline than someone like me who is a little over 130 lb. and standing at 5'11". Mario falls faster than those cannonballs, which means he must have more mass. Not only would he be heavier than those cannonballs, his velocity would be greater than the muzzle velocity of those cannons.

I take that as a typo personally; it's rather obvious to be honest.
It's not a typo, although with slight changes are in effect as of now because I thought Samus' height was 1.98 m. for some reason and because I'm not working with 411.6 m/s, but 343 m/s instead for the speed of the missiles. Here's my math. In Metroid: Zero Mission, Samus stands at 81 px. The bottom part of her arm cannon is 53 px. This would mean the distance between the bottom part of her missile and the ground is 1.2432098765432099 m. The official Metroid Prime Web site says the range of missiles is 10 m., although this is clearly not the case.

RPGs typically travel at least 100 m. or more. 100 m. can be supported from what we see in Metroid Prime. In Metroid Fusion, when a missile is launched, it doesn't even cover a meter. I'll be generous with a meter, however. This means it'll take 0.0029154518950437 seconds for the missile to travel a meter. It'll take 0.2915451895043732 seconds for a missile to travel 100 m. Let's work on the y-axis first using g = 2h/t^2

g = 2(1.2432098765432099 m.)/(0.0029154518950437 s)^2
g = 292,524.7975308705800907862 m/s^2

Next is the x-axis.

g = 2(1.2432098765432099 m.)/(0.2915451895043732 s)^2
g = 29.2524797530864158586 m/s^2

292,524.7975308705800907862 m/s^2 - 29.2524797530864158586 m/s^2 = 292,495.5450511174936749276 m/s^2

This is equal to 3,040.3919420228392594143919 g. Samus is unstoppable.

By the way, floating platforms are present in the Metroid series as well:
Floating platforms aren't unusual in the Metroid series. They're usually held up by propulsion. Of course, this is probably more of a game design and not a floating platform since Metroid: Other M has retconned the appearance of Tourian.

And Sonic:
Okay.

And Kirby:

And... well, you get the idea.
Okay. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That's completely untrue, otherwise Mario's falling speed would fluctuate every time he dropped. Or he'd just fly away by jumping.
By "selective", I mean only applying to certain objects.
Because the game is programmed that way.
That's not a canon, in-universe answer.
You don't seem to understand gravitational force. As long as there is mass, there is gravity. Gravitational force is Fg = mg. So if Mario's mass is 58.967 kg. and gravity is 9.81 m/s^2, then the force he's experiencing is 578.46627 N. To convert newtons into weight, you can multiply this by 0.22481 pounds-force, or 130 lb. And yes, 130 lb. is a reasonable weight for Mario because he is 5'1". So he will have a wider waistline than someone like me who is a little over 130 lb. and standing at 5'11". Mario falls faster than those cannonballs, which means he must have more mass. Not only would he be heavier than those cannonballs, his velocity would be greater than the muzzle velocity of those cannons.
In that case, is he infinitely heavier than a Brick Block because those don't fall at all?
It's not a typo,
To change the planets' mass to an amount similar to that of earth, you literally only need to change "trillion" to "billion". That's two letters, in rather similar units of measurement that could be confused (the same thing, except one is two and one is three). It sure seems like a typo to me, especially when Samus, with her mass (which has been officially stated, no?), not indicating anywhere near that sort of gravity with her falling speed etc. It's also the common consensus within the Metroid community (whom I would assume to be knowledgeable on the subject). Here's a forum post on the subject that I found if you're curious.
Floating platforms aren't unusual in the Metroid series. They're usually held up by propulsion. Of course, this is probably more of a game design and not a floating platform since Metroid: Other M has retconned the appearance of Tourian.
Fair enough.
Okay.

Okay. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.
I believe you said that the same thing couldn't be said for all other series, so I thought I'd point out which series do have floating platforms (for future reference and all).

Crystanium

Smash Hero
By "selective", I mean only applying to certain objects.
Or an alternative is floating.

That's not a canon, in-universe answer.
Of course it's not. It's a game program answer because that's how it's programmed.

In that case, is he infinitely heavier than a Brick Block because those don't fall at all?
Those are stationary because the game is programmed that way. Or magic.

To change the planets' mass to an amount similar to that of earth, you literally only need to change "trillion" to "billion". That's two letters, in rather similar units of measurement that could be confused (the same thing, except one is two and one is three). It sure seems like a typo to me, especially when Samus, with her mass (which has been officially stated, no?), not indicating anywhere near that sort of gravity with her falling speed etc. It's also the common consensus within the Metroid community (whom I would assume to be knowledgeable on the subject). Here's a forum post on the subject that I found if you're curious.
You're under the impression that I'm talking about planet Zebes, which I am not. I'm talking about Nightmare. "Apparently, it was a bio-mechanical organism designed for military applications . . . It possesses uncommon power and can manipulate gravity." - Adam Malkovich, former commanding officer of the 07th Platoon.

I believe you said that the same thing couldn't be said for all other series, so I thought I'd point out which series do have floating platforms (for future reference and all).
I'm not sure where the Sonic universe takes place, but I wouldn't put much thought into the Kirby universe.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad.

You punch him, he just counters your move. With his face. #thebest

Alternatively; any NPC that cannot be harmed(so not Luma, Gordo, Chrom(Falcon beat him down), Starfy, etc).

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Or an alternative is floating.
Which would mean that gravity doesn't affect the object (or that its effect is inexplicably resisted).
Of course it's not. It's a game program answer because that's how it's programmed.
The way a game is programmed isn't relevant here unless it's a glitch or something along those lines.
Those are stationary because the game is programmed that way. Or magic.
Would the same thing not apply to the cannonballs, then?
You're under the impression that I'm talking about planet Zebes, which I am not. I'm talking about Nightmare. "Apparently, it was a bio-mechanical organism designed for military applications . . . It possesses uncommon power and can manipulate gravity." - Adam Malkovich, former commanding officer of the 07th Platoon.
I see. So, you were basing your calculations on the speed of a missile?
I'm not sure where the Sonic universe takes place, but I wouldn't put much thought into the Kirby universe.
The Sonic universe is supposed to take place on "Mobius", but it has many similarities with earth (it has a president, humans, etc). Kirby takes place on an alien planet in a post-apocalyptic future, so I guess anything goes. :p

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Which would mean that gravity doesn't affect the object (or that its effect is inexplicably resisted).
If it has mass, it's affected by gravity. Everything is affected by gravity. It's one of the four fundamental forces. Without it, we'd be dead. So, considering that everything is affected by gravity, these objects would need to be floating by some means. Or it's just a game design as you'll see below.

The way a game is programmed isn't relevant here unless it's a glitch or something along those lines.
That's an assertion. You know the game is programmed a certain way. You know the game is designed a certain way. For example, look at Ceres Station. Look at the platforms on the far left and the stairs leading up/downstairs. I don't know about you, but that's pretty bad design, especially if I was a scientist working there and needed to go upstairs to get to the docking bay.

Would the same thing not apply to the cannonballs, then?
It would, which is what I've been saying. I've also been saying that if we use our physics, then we should ignore the speed of the cannonballs in the game and use the actual speed of a cannonball.

I see. So, you were basing your calculations on the speed of a missile
Yes. It's reliable because you can determine the acceleration of the x- and y-axes. That's all you need to know. Then you can do the rest. And before you doubt this, yes, I have spoken with people who actually know more about physics than I do. If you're interested, one of the people from a site called Gaia goes by the name "Vannak". He did this kind of calculation for me in the past before I understood how he did it. My results were consistent with his using the same numbers.

Top Bottom