• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else could be a costume?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
With the recent confirmation of Chrom and K. Rool costumes, as well as the Inklings last month, it appears that Sakurai's version of "fanservice" may just be limited to acknowledging that the characters fans exist by including a Mii Fighter costume. Now, if this ACTUALLY disconfirms the character is unknown, for all we know it's a marketing ploy to get money off of both the costume and the character. But with more costumes being revealed shortly, it's very possible that more highly requested characters could be relegated to Mii Fighter status.

So I'm wondering, what characters do you guys think will be made into Mii Fighter costumes?

Personally:

Wonder Red/Blue/Green: Wonder Red seems to be doing decent on the ballot but nowhere near the top pick, makes sense to make him a Brawler Costume. Throw in Blue and Green for the SwordFighter and Gunner.
Isaac: Should be doing well on the ballot, but K. Rool definitely was, and look how the turned out. Isaac would work in the same way for the Sword Fighter.
Basically any Indie Character: I doubt an Indie's chances of making it into Smash Bros as a fully fledged character, but as Mii costumes? Shovel Knight could work as a Sword Fighter, Quote would fit as a Gunner, etc.
Slippy/Peppy: I don't think they'd go so far as make Wolf a costume, but to coincide with Star Fox Zero it would make sense to have Slippy or Peppy or both as one.

This is NOT a hate thread, if you're coming in here because you dislike a character and want them to be downgraded to a costume instead of becoming playable, please leave. I'm not saying any of these characters SHOULD be costumes, (Most of them I'd want as characters) I'm saying that they MIGHT be, and I'm curious to see what others people think are possible.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At this point I'd be fine with Professor Layton as a Mii Swordfighter. At least you can modify a Mii's head to look as accurately as possible to that of Layton.....

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Things that came from the top of my head:
- Toad (based on Chrom)
- Ridley
- Midna
- Ghirahim
- Skull Kid
- Ashley
- Takamaru
- Tom Nook
- Layton (unfortunately)
- Bayonetta (Urgh)
- Ray MK
- Isaac
- Andy
- Wonder Red

I can imagine he'll do hundreds of requests through costume means.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I can see the Wonderful 101 Characters being Mii Costumes. Maybe a few Sonic Characters.

LuluTheBean

Smash Rookie
NNID
Poppy2014
Agitha and Adeleine (Especially Adeleine) would look great as Mii costumes!

Pretty much agree with OP
Things that came from the top of my head:
- Toad (based on Chrom)
- Ridley
- Midna
- Ghirahim
- Skull Kid
- Ashley
- Takamaru
- Tom Nook
- Layton (unfortunately)
- Bayonetta (Urgh)
- Ray MK
- Isaac
- Andy
- Wonder Red

I can imagine he'll do hundreds of requests through costume means.
How would Ridley even work as a mii :/

I'm just wondering why everyone is freaking out over potential characters turning into costumes. Does anyone remember how Sakurai revealed Meta Knight?
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSStvgo5-V0uS0
headgear != costume
veteran != DLC newcomer

I dont think it's a full on deconfirmation but that logic is faulty.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe Sakurai once said that he doesn't want to make a veteran anything other than their own playable character for the sake of their fans. Which is why he decided against making Dr.Mario an alt. It's either their own playable character, or not in at all for them. (Or a regular trophy and such things I suppose)

So yeah, I think comparing a newcomer with a veteran in terms of Mii costumes is a bit faulty too.....

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm really just hoping to see Bass from the Mega Man series become a Gunner costume.
They did it with Proto Man, they gave us Zero as a Swordfighter, I really hope it doesn't end here.

I could also see Street Fighter characters become costumes. Maybe some Sonic characters too. Or maybe even someone from F-Zero (that series is in some serious need of love).

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I have been very pessimistic about Wolf's chances once I found out he was not going to be included in Smash 4. The only reason I would be surprised if he was made into a costume would be because he already technically is. But, the Mii skin would just add insult to injury. There is an official Mii hat of Wolf, if I recall correctly. So it is certainly possible.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I could see Tingle or Toad working well as a mii fighter, since they would actually kind of look like the characters. That is if Sakurai is absolutely determined to never make them fighters. I could also see a lot of obscure retro characters working well as Mii Fighters: Lip, Takamaru, Prince Sable, Mach Rider, etc... It would be a good way to generate more interest in those characters.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
At this point, just about anyone could become Mii Fighter outfits even ones of the characters already in the game.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No love for the Fire Emblem Fates duo? Because if they can't be DLC, then I can see the two easily being Mii Fighter outfits to promote the game when it's out internationally.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Groose. If he isn't going to be his own character, then I at least want the pompadour as a hat.
I'd take a Geno costume for Mii Gunner as well, though I'd much prefer Geno as a seperate character. Those are probably the only two DLC costumes I'd actually buy, but otherwise, any character that's currently an AT could be a costume, since they can't really be added as playable. Or a Ridley hat :troll:

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There is potential for adding a lot of Fire emblem characters as costumes...both Corrin (male and female) and Azura could be interesting costume possibilities...Elma can be an interesting as well...

Midna's Fused Shadow should available as well, if we got Majora's Mask already why not the Fused Shadow?...or even better Zant's mask would be sick AF...

It can also be a cool opportunity to include other third parties from Sega and Namco as they did with Vitrua Fighter and Tekken costumes...perhaps Nightmare's Armour for example...

Other ideas...
-Excitebiker gear and helmet
-Dixie's Hat (with Hair locks)
-Cranky Kong's Beard and glasses (you know it's be awesome)
-Isaac
-Chibi-Robo
-Various Pokemon Hats (because wynaut?)
-Various Pokemon Trainer Hats (because again wynaut?)
-Ridley Hat (also wynaut?)
-Mach Rider
-Various Masks from Majora's Mask...Goron Mask, Deku Mask, Zora Mask, Fierce Diety Mask, Keaton Mask, Stone Mask, Garo Mask, Gibdo Mask, etc...

(disclaimer: I completely disagree with the notion that Mii Costumes deconfirm a character completely, if the character has the demand backing them as King K Rool and the Inklings do it shouldn't decrease their chances at all)

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
This is my list: sorry newcomer-fans
  • Inkling - Two months before Rool
  • Zero and X - Enough Capcom Rep
  • Skull Kid - with Majoras mask
  • K Rool - Obvious
  • Chrom - Disconfirmed by Sakurai
  • Heihachi - Disconfirmed by Sakurai
  • Waluigi - The same thing
  • Daisy - IDEM
Possibles
  1. Wolf
  2. Shovel Knight
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Popo / Nana
  5. Peppy
  6. Krystal
  7. Young Link
  8. Shantae
  9. Paper Mario
  10. Exitebiker
  11. Balloon Fighter
  12. Oni Akuma from Street Fighter IV
  13. Bison
  14. Ridley :troll::troll::troll::troll:
  15. Takamaru
  16. Shadow / Silver

Last edited:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who is an assist trophy I would love to see as an assist trophy. For example:

Saki
Knuckle Joe
Takamaru
Ashley
Jeff
Lyn
Waluigi
Shadow
Ghirahim
Midna
Dark Samus

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
can we have 3rd party costumes from other companies? i want to have
  • Black mage
  • White mage
  • Crono
  • Cloud
  • Warrior of light
  • Geno
  • Nester
  • Alex kidd
  • Knuckles
  • Tails
  • Bomberman
  • Goemon
  • Sir Arthur
  • Isaac
  • Ray MK III
  • Mach rider
  • Krystal

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
I could see Peppy and Slippy being released around the same time SF0 comes out.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I'm just wondering why everyone is freaking out over potential characters turning into costumes. Does anyone remember how Sakurai revealed Meta Knight?
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSStvgo5-V0uS0
Different fundamentals. Sakurai has a small part to do with the Kirby series maybe possible so there was no way MK was ever going to be replaced as a veteran fighter to be converted into a Mii Hat hence he was a good character to troll with. No newcomer who has had a Mii hat/outfit has gone on to become a DLC character so far. The MK hat also was in 3DS Mii plaza years before and most likely was ported from it considering enemies from other 3DS games have been ported into Smash.

I believe Sakurai once said that he doesn't want to make a veteran anything other than their own playable character for the sake of their fans. Which is why he decided against making Dr.Mario an alt. It's either their own playable character, or not in at all for them. (Or a regular trophy and such things I suppose)

So yeah, I think comparing a newcomer with a veteran in terms of Mii costumes is a bit faulty too.....
Doctor Mario initially intended for Doctor Mario to be a skin, only because certain properties couldn't be changed if he was a skin did he end up getting his own spot. I believe in future if the customisation system is expanded upon further Doctor Mario and a lot of Clones will lose their character slot.

Honestly, I have been very pessimistic about Wolf's chances once I found out he was not going to be included in Smash 4. The only reason I would be surprised if he was made into a costume would be because he already technically is. But, the Mii skin would just add insult to injury. There is an official Mii hat of Wolf, if I recall correctly. So it is certainly possible.
Wolf currently is the combined most popular and likely character at the moment even without the addition of K.Rool mii outfit (but with the addition further reinforces that notion) causing K.Rool to have a painful (but not fatal) blow to his chances. Marth had a Roy colour variation and yet Roy returned. Ness had all of Lucas' specials yet Lucas returned. Fox having a Wolf skin colour variation doesn't hurt his chances at all. There is currently no precedent for characters who haven't returned to return in mii hat/outfit form yet there currently is strong precedent for veterans returning and Wolf's fundamentals in general are extremely strong at this point to the point nobody knows really why he was definitely cut.

K.Rool while being arguably popular didn't have the strongest foundation for his inclusion having not been in an actual DK game for years.

:troll::troll:This is my list: sorry newcomer-fans
  1. Wolf
Only because there is a Wolf hat in the 3DS Mii plaza which could easily be ported over as KI:U enemies and the MK hat have been. Also that hat is based off his SF64 design which Wolf's Smash design is not based off.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And some of these properties have to do with weight, scale, power and speed. Not to mention various smash, air and grabs that need to be changed for certain clones. Especially considering that Sakurai wants to keep battle records as accurate as possible for balancing purposes and that there shouldn't be a single gameplay differences between any alternate costumes according to him.

Which is why I can never see him turn someone like Toon Link into an alt of Link as that's simply not possible without changing his size, properties, hitboxes and everything (even with moveset costumization) which Sakurai has shown that he's against doing that for alternate costumes.

But overall, that's a discussion for another thread.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Lloyd Irving, Flying Man (Mother series, those ******** on Magicant), and a Bear suit with a honey jar ...arm cannon...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think veterans will become Mii costumes period (at least, veterans who aren't in the game already), and I also don't think unplayable characters getting costumes prevents them from being added later. Third-parties Mii costumes I don't think will happen for certain, though.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I don't think veterans will become Mii costumes period (at least, veterans who aren't in the game already), and I also don't think unplayable characters getting costumes prevents them from being added later. Third-parties Mii costumes I don't think will happen for certain, though.
It technically doesn't prevent them from being Smash 4 DLC. However Mii outfits are considered representation for Characters and Series by Sakurai especially ones that aren't going to get characters. The implication and precedent so far being that no character to date who is a newcomer via Mii outfits has gone on to become DLC.

These characters could always see Smash 5 inclusion in the base game or as DLC but as of now it doesn't reflect positively on anyone who does appear as a Costume.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It technically doesn't prevent them from being Smash 4 DLC. However Mii outfits are considered representation for Characters and Series by Sakurai especially ones that aren't going to get characters. The implication and precedent so far being that no character to date who is a newcomer via Mii outfits has gone on to become DLC.

These characters could always see Smash 5 inclusion in the base game or as DLC but as of now it doesn't reflect positively on anyone who does appear as a Costume.
Yeah, but said precedent was entirely based solely on Ryu's announcement, and them adding major fighting game characters as Mii costumes from Namco and SEGA. That's the only time the "represents the character" comment came up. We haven't even had a newcomer Nintendo character as DLC, so there is no precedent whatsoever. You can argue the likes of Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy not getting costumes before they were released, but all of them were veterans.

The simple fact is, we can't say one thing or another regarding these Mii costumes. There is no precedent at all for anything.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Yeah, but said precedent was entirely based solely on Ryu's announcement, and them adding major fighting game characters as Mii costumes from Namco and SEGA. That's the only time the "represents the character" comment came up. We haven't even had a newcomer Nintendo character as DLC, so there is no precedent whatsoever. You can argue the likes of Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy not getting costumes before they were released, but all of them were veterans.

The simple fact is, we can't say one thing or another regarding these Mii costumes. There is no precedent at all for anything.
While it is still fairly young, the comment has been made and until there is an exception which shows otherwise it's not like its unreasonable to view mii outfits not being a favourable showing for the character they are representing.

So far we have;

Dunban
Proto man
X
Inkling
Megaman.exe
Zero
Jacky
Akira
Heihachi
Isabelle
Lloyd Irving
Flying Man
Chrom
K. Rool

Among all these characters who appeared in 2 waves, so far none of these characters have go on to become DLC. It's likely if there is to be a character tomorrow or in the coming weeks (prior and seperate to Smash Ballot) it is not likely to be one of these characters. This will also be the opportunity to either further cement this precedent or lessen it's weight.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I could see Phoenix Wright getting a costume. In his setting he could potentially become a gunner, but what else could he possibly do? Brawler could also work for him.

I'm also starting to think we won't get any more third-party DLC, we'd only get third-party Mii fighters because they're easier and you don't have to deal with all the back and forth of making them "perfect."

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I could see any Metroid one-shot become a costume. Hell, imagine a Dark Samus costume, I would buy that instantly.

The art style for the suit is perfect for Smash in my opinion. Hell, it's got a similar arm cannon mechanism.
But imagine a Dark Samus character DLC instead....jus sayin...(DS Mii costume would be sick though)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
LIFE IS BUT A MOMENT
A SINGLE GRAIN OF SAND
THAT SLIPS RIGHT THROUGH THE HOURGLASS
THAT SLIPS RIGHT THROUGH YOUR HAND
YOU'VE SHOWN ME HOW
TO MAKE EACH MOMENT COUNT