• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the most important thing when playing Sheik?

SirPimpa

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly new to the competitive scene, playing in some local tournaments. But I love playing melee, so decided to play a new character and loved playing sheik. Anyways, what important things should I learn when playing sheik(I know basics in wavedashing and stuff like that).

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Shino stall, reverse needle cancel, dash-attack-cancel grab, extra long dash dance, nair out-of-shield, utilizing the fact that needles auto-cancel, down-throw chain grabs, tech-chasing or tech-reading (for up-smash or etc.), jab resets, dash attack / forward tilt / up-smash regrabs, comboing to either juggle to gain percent or knock the opponent off stage for an edgeguard, edge-guarding while being able to re-grab the ledge, edgeguarding spacies with drop-down dj nair back to stage and/or bair, smash DI on fox's up-air and perhaps his drill and DI'ing out of Falco's combos, knowing who can chain grab you (Sheik, IC's, Mario, Dr. Mario, and Ganondorf are the most threatening in this regard), knowing to avoid getting crouch-rested or up-move-rested by Jigglypuff,

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
I'm not quite sure how to interpret your question since "where do I start" is a pretty broad question, so... I'll just give you a long winded answer of all the interpretations I have! =DDDD

The first place I would start is knowing how you will get your kills/having a game-plan. For most people starting, this means knowing how to combo into fair. It will vary based on the %'s and the character you are comboing, but generally learn to recognize when you can fair after tilts, dash attack, dthrow. There are other things that combo into, but that's where I'd start. And work on tech chasing if you're playing a fast-faller.

Where a lot of people probably start, since combo'ing with Sheik may just come naturally since it's fairly easy to execute on a basic level, is having a tactic (knowing how you would get your combos/what to do in neutral). I would say that there are 2 main tactics for Sheiks to learn (at first at least). Those are dash forward WD back (this is to bait out a reaction from the opponent that youcan punish, which, if fails, you just go back to neutral. This also tends to be what Sheiks do instead of dash-dancing), and SHFFL fair (1 way to deal with the noob killer of falco lasers, and just generally a good defensive/offensive option and can also lead into openings).

ORRRRRRRR, if you mean where to start from a mindset point of view, I would practice getting into the habit of being patient and not trying to force opening, but rather just trying to dodge and bait out bad approaches that you can punish. There ARE times to "just do it" and go for a grab or dash attack, but often time these acts of rashness will get you punished.

Or if you just wanna know tech that is important to Sheik, I would just say being able to l-cancel everything is probably the most important thing. And just being able to do stuff as soon as your landing lag ends. Like SHFFL fair>jab as close to frame perfectly as you can. Or SHFFL fair>dash. Or even SHFFL fair>SHFFL fair>SHFFL fair>SHFFL fair...

yepp

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I think the most important thing to remember with Shiek is probably awareness outside the game. I say this because people are gonna get salty when you play Shiek. Same goes for ICs and Puff. You just gotta keep your head straight and keep playing who you enjoy.

SirPimpa

Smash Rookie
I'm not quite sure how to interpret your question since "where do I start" is a pretty broad question, so... I'll just give you a long winded answer of all the interpretations I have! =DDDD

The first place I would start is knowing how you will get your kills/having a game-plan. For most people starting, this means knowing how to combo into fair. It will vary based on the %'s and the character you are comboing, but generally learn to recognize when you can fair after tilts, dash attack, dthrow. There are other things that combo into, but that's where I'd start. And work on tech chasing if you're playing a fast-faller.

Where a lot of people probably start, since combo'ing with Sheik may just come naturally since it's fairly easy to execute on a basic level, is having a tactic (knowing how you would get your combos/what to do in neutral). I would say that there are 2 main tactics for Sheiks to learn (at first at least). Those are dash forward WD back (this is to bait out a reaction from the opponent that youcan punish, which, if fails, you just go back to neutral. This also tends to be what Sheiks do instead of dash-dancing), and SHFFL fair (1 way to deal with the noob killer of falco lasers, and just generally a good defensive/offensive option and can also lead into openings).

ORRRRRRRR, if you mean where to start from a mindset point of view, I would practice getting into the habit of being patient and not trying to force opening, but rather just trying to dodge and bait out bad approaches that you can punish. There ARE times to "just do it" and go for a grab or dash attack, but often time these acts of rashness will get you punished.

Or if you just wanna know tech that is important to Sheik, I would just say being able to l-cancel everything is probably the most important thing. And just being able to do stuff as soon as your landing lag ends. Like SHFFL fair>jab as close to frame perfectly as you can. Or SHFFL fair>dash. Or even SHFFL fair>SHFFL fair>SHFFL fair>SHFFL fair...

yepp
Sorry I wasn't clear on the question. My question to any sheik player, what's the most important thing(either in a technical or mind stuff or whatever) can do in match.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
The most important thing is taking the perfect action at each individual frame, causing you to win the match.

The best way to get there is to make sure you focus on what you're doing at all times so that you can improve as fast as possible.

HolyHam

Smash Rookie
From my experience it's analyzing my opponents game-play, and then slipping in at the opportune moment and punishing them with sheik's strong combo game.

Top Bottom