• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters are actually good against META KNIGHT

kismet2

Smash Ace
it wouldn't really matter if no one agrees with me lol this is just how i see it, it is my opinion. but i was referring to options and how falco and diddy wouldn't really have to commit to anything. it's much easier to turtle/zone with a projectile against a character that doesn't have one themselves and forced to approach. mk ditto is constant close quarters and rock paper scissors. if you're a good mk then you may as well play out the ditto but i just pretty much meant if you use falco/diddy/etc really any character with a decent projectile that can zone pretty well then you don't need to pick up mk for the ditto. chances are if you're doing it for that one matchup you'd lose to good mks anyway =/

EDIT: lol just saw that you said sheik has to think about her kills that's for any character at high levels of play. It's all about putting your opponent in a 50/50 and punishing them if they guess wrong

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
MK still does the best against MK

If you disagree then that means you're claiming some character beats MK.
Or you'd be claiming that another character goes even with MK and that MU is less..uh..of a mental burden than the MK ditto (I could see this being the case for Falco)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
MK still does the best against MK

If you disagree then that means you're claiming some character beats MK.
Depending on the stage
  • , that could be argued - top level tournament results from 2012 suggest that Falco might have an edge, for example.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Why remove a rule that keeps an artificial, unfair buff in MK's favor in check?

:059:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ummm I didn't say I'd want to remove it.

Also, the word "artificial..." I don't think you're using it right. There's no way to restrict ledge grabs within the brawl software. I would argue that our regulation of a core game mechanic with no in-game knobs is pretty "artificial."

Anyway, your MK nerf is also a Falco buff, a Pit nerf, a ROB nerf, etc.

kismet2

Smash Ace
if you take away lgl mk isn't the only character that gets buffed lol g&w, pit, dk, etc will have an easier time as well because they don't have to get off the ledge and stall as long as they want.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
And suddenly Ice Climbers, Falco, Snake, Diddy, Dedede, and Olimar don't seem nearly as powerful, for better or worse.

...Oh, wait, did I just name all of the most polarizing characters? Balance is funny sometimes.

D

Deleted member 189823

I think the characters that can go even against MK are Falco, ICs, SNAKE, Diddy Kong and Olimar.

Why aren't Diddy and Falco even with MK in the MU chart anymore, though?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Because they don't actually go even with him, they lose slightly
Everywhere I turn on this forum, there are literally thousands of these posts. Assert opinion, done. It accomplishes nothing whatsoever. Nobody will take a nobody on their word. Provide rationale and construct an argument, or what's the point?

C.J.

Smash Master
I think the characters that can go even against MK are Falco, ICs, SNAKE, Diddy Kong and Olimar.

There is absolutely no way that Snake and Diddy could even be ARGUED to be even. Theory doesn't support it, results don't support it.

Falco is dependent on stage list/LGL/how much you weigh results.

Olimar, I am not sure what the most recent results are about it, but theory seems to push it slightly in MK's favor.

IC you can make a case for.

Everywhere I turn on this forum, there are literally thousands of these posts. Assert opinion, done. It accomplishes nothing whatsoever. Nobody will take a nobody on their word. Provide rationale and construct an argument, or what's the point?
Nobody will take anybody else* Sorry, that just hurt to read lol.

Anyway, the common consensus is that MK doesn't lose to anyone/only even MU is MK, maybe IC, and a FEW people argue Falco. Burden of proof is definitely on the side that wants to argue the even MUs as the norm is on the side of those characters losing. As such, Grim is under no obligation to give evidence for his claim until the opposing viewpoint has given sufficient evidence to back up their claim.

Flayl

Smash Hero

Because the results from tournaments have a stronger inclination towards slight disadvantage than even, and if one of those characters had a truly even matchup with Meta Knight it would have had a huge boost in popularity for MK legal tournaments over the past 3 years.

That good enough for you Blistering Speed?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
The MK match up is even for Diddy. Diddy has everything he needs to fight MK both on land and in the air. Diddy does better on the ground, but MK does better offstage. I also feel that fox still goes even with MK

Nintendo 64

Smash Rookie
Well, Sheik have good weapons against mk, needles and f-tilt lock for racking damage, great mix ups, and the most important, the grab realease to dacus. Yes, it´s difficult to perform, but extreme mortal.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Nobody will take anybody else* Sorry, that just hurt to read lol.
It wasn't a double negative. Reading comprehension, please.
Because the results from tournaments have a stronger inclination towards slight disadvantage than even.
Empirically, Falco's results have no such inclination. Not that results are a precisely reliable indicator in as isolated and insular a metagame as Brawl.
and if one of those characters had a truly even matchup with Meta Knight it would have had a huge boost in popularity for MK legal tournaments over the past 3 years.
That is an enormously oversimplified assumption.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Fact of the matter is, when you have a character who is as hugely dominant as MK (in terms of numbers and placings), if there was a character that truly went even with him, that character would easily see way more use than every other char (bar MK).

Secondly, the non-MK player will almost always know the match-up better than the MK player. So while it might seem even in practice, it really isn't.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
MK players have pushed their character further than any other character and there are more top level MK players than there are top level players for any other character.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
MK players have pushed their character further than any other character
What does that even mean? How do you judge something like that? Wouldn't it be just as easy to say that since MK has so many more options that the rest of the cast, more useful stuff ended up being discovered?

Pretty much every character has been squeezed really hard for new tactics.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
What does that even mean? How do you judge something like that? Wouldn't it be just as easy to say that since MK has so many more options that the rest of the cast, more useful stuff ended up being discovered?

MK is only good because good players use him, didn't you know? :awesome:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
People forgetting about this borderline's decent MK matchup.

I feel there's a few characters with close MK matchups. To me having a -1 against MK isn't really that big a deal. Matchups exist, you're just gonna have to play it harder. Especially in -1 matchups where it's close enough that you really don't need to change your character you just need to play better because it's totally winnable, it's why i'm so anti-ban. MK has a few +1s so as an opposing player you have multiple options for taking on MKs I don't really see why he HAS to have bad matchups, he just needs lose-able ones. But anyway not to open that whole can of worms Gdubs does pretty well against MK, it's just the other top tier characters he gets ***** by funnily enough. MK is actually my favorite matchup, he dies at like 60% to the dumbest **** =)

I also still think Fox does close against him, I dunno how the wolf/mk matchup is looking these days but I remember him doing pretty decently.

And then as far as you top tiers you've got Falco, ICs, Olimar, Diddy, and Snake off the top of my head.

Oh yeah and Pika.

And I dunno about Wario, but maybe him. And i'm one of the few people that still think Marth almost goes even with MK.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
MK's +1s are still a stretch from "almost even".

I don't think anyone is pro-ban because they think he is too strong to beat; the reasons have more to do with his tournament presence and affect on the ruleset.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
People who think MK should be banned because we have to add rules specifically for him should think twice before adding a rule to ban him, which is also a rule specifically for him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Better one that works than a bunch that people still manage to get away with bending.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What about Pikachu? I don't know much about the MU, but I hear he goes pretty even, or close to it vs. MK.

Personally, my most hated MU as an MK player is probably Olimar. Pikmin spam, long grabs, and punishing nado with grabs and Usmashes makes the MU more of a headache than anything else. Good thing he's very gimpable, provided you read his Pikmin Order well enough.

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu does fairly even against MK. The MU is 0 so i would say he does better against him than any other character.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
I personally feel Fox goes even, but I don't attend offline tournies, so my opinion doesn't really matter :x

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
http://i.imgur.com/E7Q2h.png

No bad or even match ups. Pikachu is such a balanced character

You learn a lot by watching top level players and top level player videos and there are obviously more top level MKs and MK videos than there are for any other character. This makes it easier for players to get better and pushes MK's metagame further

Top Bottom