• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What advanced techs i need to know as a Wolf player?

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
By advanced techs, i mean literally anything that Pros use that Lv9 CPUs in Brawl and melee do not. The only one i actually am good with is L-canceling, though i am practicing Jump-canceling the Reflector. I know most of the advanced techs in theory and name, but i don't use them.

What are some other useful things? OH, is there a good way to do DACUS without changing the button configuration?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
You should learn every AT regardless of what character you play.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
If you had to just choose a few:
Most essential are probably wavelanding (out of blaster for wolf)/wavedashing (assuming your dashdance is already good), but I would posit that shine out of shield is going to be very important for wolf–he is a space animal. Shield dropping or shai dropping is always good too, for anyone.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok I made a list. It's pretty long lol.

ATs Wolf uses
LCancel
Fast Fall
Short Hop
Jump Cancel Shine
Wave Dash
Wave Land
Wave Shine
Shine Turn Around
Shine UAir (Shine DJ immediately UAir)
Double Shine
Shine Grab
Flash (SideB) Shorten
Flash Edgecancel
Flash Taunt install
Flash Angling
Jump Cancel Usmash (run + cstick up derp)
Jump Cancel Grab
Boost Grab
Pivot Grab
Pivot + Boost Grab
DACUS
Reverse Aerial Rush
Wall Jump
Edge Canceled Aerials
Pivot Fsmash
Pivot Jump
Laser Waveland
B-Reverse Laser
Reverse Laser
Ledgehop Aerial
Ledgehop Laser
Ledgedash
"Hax dash" (Ledgehop waveland off the edge)
Ledge Jump immediately aerial
Autocancel FAir
Autocancel BAir
"The m2k angle" (Sweet spot UpB from above)
UpB Ledgegrab (during the start-up)
Tech
Edge Tech
Directional Influence
SmashDI
ASDI
Dash Dance
Crouch Cancel
Crouch Canceling a run
Shine out of shield
WD out of shield
Shield Angling
Shield DI
Shield Drop
Buffer Roll
Buffer Spot dodge
Shine stall (when recovering)
Jab Cancels
Grabbing items with Z (when fighting Diddy/Peach)
Grabbing Items with Waveland
AGT
Glide Toss
Power Shield

Stuff you probably won't need
Taunt Cancel
UpB OoS

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
if you just started to get the hang of WDing, you should now try WDing onto platforms. wolf is a very mobile character, and in order to make the most out of his high speed, its very useful to minimize the amount of time you spend transitioning onto platforms so that you can make effective use of his amazing aerial game and cover as many of your opponents options, in air and on ground, as you can.

Rat

Smash Lord
naw brawl has a buffer.
Wolf has one of the most difficult dacus'. I have changed my R button to attack to accomodate. You have to use an attack button btw. Grab won't work.

Input I use is:
Dash, C-Down, tap up + R

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well you can always just turn the buffer on to start out. if you want to do it consistently, i think i would definitely recommend changing z,R, or L to attack. its going to help you do it much more consistently than by trying to awkwardly place your pointer finger onto A. you really just need to go into training mode, and do the input hundreds of times to build up effective muscle memory. trust me though, it can be mastered so that you can do it on command in game. recently, ive been able to do that a very good majority of the time in game, and it definitely adds a very critical component to both your approach and punish game.

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
naw brawl has a buffer.
Wolf has one of the most difficult dacus'. I have changed my R button to attack to accomodate. You have to use an attack button btw. Grab won't work.

Input I use is:
Dash, C-Down, tap up + R
Are you sure you can't DACUS with Wolf using the grab button? I think I've pulled it off before with wolf using this configuration. I know for certain that the DACUS with the grab button works for for Lucas. It'd be strange if it wouldn't work with Wolf.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Are you sure you can't DACUS with Wolf using the grab button? I think I've pulled it off before with wolf using this configuration. I know for certain that the DACUS with the grab button works for for Lucas. It'd be strange if it wouldn't work with Wolf.

It's something about his jump having 4 frames that hinders that. MGw, Roy and Marth all have this problem too.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The input is 1 frame stricter when using the Grab button for the input. Due the aforementioned characters' short jumpsquats, it's not actually possible with grab and they thus have the hardest DACUSes to pull off.

Which sucks for me 'cause I pulled it off twice with Lucas while trying like 60 times.

Rat

Smash Lord
Yeah Wolf's DACUS is super hard. I've been practicing it a lot and still mess up frequently in matches. :( It isn't that important either imo.

Instead of learning Wolf's DACUS you'd be better off practicing Ledge Stuff. The ability to recover safely to the ledge and move off of the ledge is huge. You'll see better results practicing UpB/SideB Sweet Spots, Ledgehop Aerials, Ledgehop Laser, Ledge Dash, etc.

That's assuming you've got the hang of SH, Wavedash, Dash Dance, and LCancels.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Yeah Wolf's DACUS is super hard. I've been practicing it a lot and still mess up frequently in matches. :( It isn't that important either imo.

Instead of learning Wolf's DACUS you'd be better off practicing Ledge Stuff. The ability to recover safely to the ledge and move off of the ledge is huge. You'll see better results practicing UpB/SideB Sweet Spots, Ledgehop Aerials, Ledgehop Laser, Ledge Dash, etc.

That's assuming you've got the hang of SH, Wavedash, Dash Dance, and LCancels.

yeah, no, 'im still a noob when it comes to advanced techs, though i'm pretty good at everything else.

I kinda need to get his Dacus to work, though. It will be useful to me in Brawl as well, and i play other characters who can Dacus too.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
It isn't that important either imo.
I think i might have to disagree with this. if you practice enough to the point where you are comfortable with the input, and can implement it when you want in a match, its actually a very valuable punish. the range, speed, and reward that wolfs dacus offers is something that cant be matched by many other tools in his set. sure you could instead approach with a nair > shine > maybe a fair or side b, but that takes many more steps, and there is much more room for an opponent to DI out of that or just be at too high of a percent to be comboed. I will say that wolfs DACUS isnt absolutely neccesary for him to be a good character, but having this additional option that can not only be comboed into from throws, but can combo into other things, be used as both a great tech chase, and be used an effective surprise punish, it just adds all that more depth to the characters play, and helps put him a step above other characters with less options than wolf. its just like wavebouncing (B-reversing) wolfs blaster. nobody really does anything with it, since its not exactly "necessary," but for those who do utilize it, it actually adds a lot of movement options to wolfs arsenal, and brings about a whole new level to his bait and punish game. (consider all the movement options brought about by the b-reverse: a high boost of momentum in the opposite direction, combined with the ability to WD out of the end of blaster. this affects all approaches that wolf could perform, like faking a RAR, or utilizing it out of DD as you are retreating.

the point i guess im trying to make is that, for new wolf players, i absolutely would not center your development around just learning to DACUS. but for wolf players that are already comfortable with his moves, and understand how to punish and kill effectively with him, learning to implement things like DACUSing and b-reversing are only going to add depth to your playstyle, making you much more difficult to predict and more efficient at dealing with smart players. for skilled wolf players, not learning to do these things is like keeping 4 houses on each of your spaces in monopoly, and never upgrading to the mansion. why limit yourself if you have the ability to expand with a little practice? wolf is an extremely dynamic character, and has a large array of options in any given situation, more options than most characters in the game in fact. making use of all of them in a great way to become a better player help yourself win more tournaments, if that is what you are trying to do.

Rat

Smash Lord
Yep I agree with what you're saying Flux.

I said it's not that important because a newer player should focus on more fundamental stuff. Which is what you're saying lol. If the choice is between practicing LCancels, Short Hops, or DACUS. You should practice the first few.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
The secret to easy DACUS is to set a shoulder button to attack and use the trigger trick (hold down the shoulder button when you plug your controller in). Practice at first with buffer if need be, you should get the hang of it after a while.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
what does holding in the trigger on plug in get you?
It forces you to do a full press to register the Attack input. That way, you can press c-down+up+R at the same time and DACUS will work (as opposed to this input giving you a dash attack from light press R), a lot easier than timing up+R right after c-down IMO.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
i have absolutely no clue how to shine out of shield since wolf is the first space animal im taking seriously. how is it done, and is there more than one way to do it?
also i changed r to jump and x to grab because im weird like that, will this hinder my oos shines?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Oh I see haha. I usually set z to attack for dacusing however, but I see how that would be useful.

To shine oos you basically just jump out of your shield and shine asap. If you do it frame perfect you will end up on the ground. I usually just do a quick slide of the finger from y to b while holding down, but others use tap jump and flick up to down on the control stick.

Atb555

Smash Rookie

ATs Wolf uses
LCancel
Fast Fall
Short Hop
Jump Cancel Shine
Wave Dash
Wave Land
Wave Shine

Shine Turn Around
Double Shine
Shine Grab
Flash (SideB) Shorten
Flash Edgecancel
Flash Taunt install
Flash Angling
Jump Cancel Grab

Boost Grab
Pivot Grab
Pivot + Boost Grab
DACUS
Reverse Aerial Rush
Wall Jump
Edge Canceled Aerials
Pivot Fsmash
Pivot Jump
Laser Waveland
B-Reverse Laser
Reverse Laser
Ledgehop Aerial
Ledgehop Laser

Ledgedash
Autocancel FAir
Autocancel BAir
Tech
Edge Tech
Directional Influence
SmashDI

ASDI
Dash Dance
Crouch Cancel
Crouch Canceling a run
Shine out of shield
WD out of shield

Shield Angling
Shield DI
Shield Drop
Buffer Roll
Buffer Spot dodge
Jab Cancels
AGT
Glide Toss
Power Shield

Taunt Cancel
UpB OoS

This is the one of the problems I unfortunately face (I'm sure new players too) with smash is the terminology is not centralized. The stuff in bold and struck I know outside of that I have never even heard of the rest and how to do them.

Last edited:

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman

This is the one of the problems I unfortunately face (I'm sure new players too) with smash is the terminology is not centralized. The stuff in bold and struck I know outside of that I have never even heard of the rest and how to do them.
shine turn around- you change the direction you face in your down b. left or right with the joystick
shine u air- down b, jump cancel it and use your up aerial
shine grab- down b jump cancel, immediately waveland and then grab
flash shorten- depending on the timing you can get 4 lengths for his side b 1/4 length 2/4 half length 3/4 length 4/4 full length
flash cancel- sliding off a platform after a side b to get your jumps back, can be done on dreamland and poke stadium
flash taunt install- press uptaunt the split second a side b hits. optional, used for being flashy (pun intended)
flash angling- holdin the joystick up or down to get a different angle on your side b
edge canceled aerials- edge cancelling an aerials same as you would a side b
pivot fsmash- run one way tap the joystick down, fsmash the other way with c-stick
b-reverse laser- jump, press b then turn the other way, turning around while lasering. super useful.
autocancel f-air/b-air aerial attacks are automatically cancelled at higher heights. so jump high enough so your forward and back air attacks' landing lag are canceled when you hit the ground i guess.
shield angling- pointing your shield in a certain direction with the joystick lightly enough so you dont spotdodge
shield drop- using witchcraft and wizardry to drop underneath a platform by using your shield somehow. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Shield_platform_dropping
shine stall- slowing your fall by using down b in the air, great for helping with recoveries
jab cancelling- cancelling your jabs how you press a three times ...and he jabs three times
that website should cover the rest...how do you spoiler?!?

Atb555

Smash Rookie
Legend!

I will definitely try these out when I get a hold of my friends Wii.

For spoilers just sandwich spoiler tags in between the text

[ spoiler] - added a white space after the bracket for demonstration purpose
text
[/spoiler]

FirexBolt

Smash Rookie
Idk if anybody has found this yet or if this is what Flash Edge cancelling is' but while I was messing around I found that pushing back on the joystick and then pushing forward b at the right time can cancel Wolf's side b and in some cases can sweetspot it on the opponent. So far I've used it on FD Battlefield and Distant Planet.

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
Idk if anybody has found this yet or if this is what Flash Edge cancelling is' but while I was messing around I found that pushing back on the joystick and then pushing forward b at the right time can cancel Wolf's side b and in some cases can sweetspot it on the opponent. So far I've used it on FD Battlefield and Distant Planet.
If I remember correctly it was a technique in brawl called scarring. It works on most of the stages but there may be an exception that I'm not quite sure of.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
"Hax dash" (Ledgehop waveland off the
QUESTION! Is wolf 100% invincible when doing this? Also, does he have any frames if any, to attack while he is invincible? If so, any chance you know how many frames wolf has to work with?

Rat

Smash Lord
yes, wolf's 100% invincible.

Every character has 30-some frames of invincibility when you grab the ledge. I don't know how many frames wolf has to work with off hand. I'd have to test and see.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
shine turn around- you change the direction you face in your down b. left or right with the joystick
shine u air- down b, jump cancel it and use your up aerial
shine grab- down b jump cancel, immediately waveland and then grab
flash shorten- depending on the timing you can get 4 lengths for his side b 1/4 length 2/4 half length 3/4 length 4/4 full length
flash cancel- sliding off a platform after a side b to get your jumps back, can be done on dreamland and poke stadium
flash taunt install- press uptaunt the split second a side b hits. optional, used for being flashy (pun intended)
flash angling- holdin the joystick up or down to get a different angle on your side b
edge canceled aerials- edge cancelling an aerials same as you would a side b
pivot fsmash- run one way tap the joystick down, fsmash the other way with c-stick
b-reverse laser- jump, press b then turn the other way, turning around while lasering. super useful.
autocancel f-air/b-air aerial attacks are automatically cancelled at higher heights. so jump high enough so your forward and back air attacks' landing lag are canceled when you hit the ground i guess.
shield angling- pointing your shield in a certain direction with the joystick lightly enough so you dont spotdodge
shield drop- using witchcraft and wizardry to drop underneath a platform by using your shield somehow. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Shield_platform_dropping
shine stall- slowing your fall by using down b in the air, great for helping with recoveries
jab cancelling- cancelling your jabs how you press a three times ...and he jabs three times
that website should cover the rest...how do you spoiler?!?
A little late here, but just for the record, there's a much more efficient way of doing shine grabs. Instead off wave landing then grabbing, just do a jump cancelled grab directly out of the shine. It's much faster and easier to do.

Hzashimi

Smash Rookie
i have absolutely no clue how to shine out of shield since wolf is the first space animal im taking seriously. how is it done, and is there more than one way to do it?
also i changed r to jump and x to grab because im weird like that, will this hinder my oos shines?
shield > c-stick up > immediate down b

That's the easiest one for me at least.

Hzashimi

Smash Rookie
Rat, what inputs do you use for auto cancel fair?

ATs Wolf uses
LCancel
Fast Fall
Short Hop
Jump Cancel Shine
Wave Dash
Wave Land
Wave Shine
Shine Turn Around
Double Shine
Shine Grab
Flash (SideB) Shorten
Flash Edgecancel
Flash Taunt install
Flash Angling
Jump Cancel Grab
Boost Grab
Pivot Grab
Pivot + Boost Grab
DACUS
Reverse Aerial Rush
Wall Jump
Edge Canceled Aerials
Pivot Fsmash
Pivot Jump
Laser Waveland
B-Reverse Laser
Reverse Laser
Ledgehop Aerial
Ledgehop Laser
Ledgedash
Autocancel FAir
Autocancel BAir
Tech
Edge Tech
Directional Influence
SmashDI
ASDI
Dash Dance
Crouch Cancel
Crouch Canceling a run
Shine out of shield
WD out of shield
Shield Angling
Shield DI
Shield Drop
Buffer Roll
Buffer Spot dodge
Jab Cancels
AGT
Glide Toss
Power Shield

Taunt Cancel
UpB OoS

Rat, what inputs do you use for auto cancel fair?

Top Bottom