• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wes Tackles Apex 2015 and PM, Karissa The Destroyer in Smash On Blast

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Long-time community member Wes just released his 8th video in the Smash on Blast series. These videos are known for being a somewhat out there, but approach issues in the Smash community from a unique perspective. The latest entry in the series has Wes parodying Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood while he talks about the recent Apex 2015 controversy, while also quickly touching on Karissa the Destroyer. This is some of his best work yet, so take a few minutes and see what you think.

Smash on Blast 8: Terrible Neighborhood
What do you think? Do you agree with Wes? Make your voices heard in the comments below!

The Derrit thinks this is a really good bit - if you can get past the song at the beginning. Chat with him about Smash on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Mister Wesley's Neighborhood LMAOOO!
My n**** is hilarious!

Zurreal

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure dropping PM from Apex was less of a money issue and more of a legal issue. They really had no choice and made the right decision. If you want to play melee, play melee. All the original parts of PM are just plain badly done.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure dropping PM from Apex was less of a money issue and more of a legal issue. They really had no choice and made the right decision. If you want to play melee, play melee. All the original parts of PM are just plain badly done.
Yeah she should have threatened a restraining order. And 3.5 is waaaay better then the old build. Less clunky, and feels more like melee. I used to dislike PM because of the feel but 3.5 is the first one I will actually try to play

River Shoetailor

Smash Cadet
What original parts are you talking about? There's plenty of 'original' content to be knocking with a blanket 'badly done'.

When I think of what new things the PMDT did, I think aesthetics and gameplay. Given what they had to work with I think they've done a spectacular job.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I wish pm was at apex it was hype last time oh well :( the video was pretty good.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'll be honest here, as an individual, I have lost an enormous amount of respect for the Apex organisation. An organization that claims to work for the best of the smash community is not really achieving its mission statement by excluding the number 1 (in terms of player base, I will let people choose what they consider quality) professional mod made for the community. It's a bad decision, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and yes, I am a little upset about it. There's still time to turn things around and do the right thing.

However, I do not condone violent speech. We're all responsible adults and we're (smashers) already viewed as immature manchildren by many. Let's work to not confirm that false assumption. People can protest politely. There's no need for violence. Ever.

Also, I know that for the most part, the Project M community is made up of awesome people with an unusually open-minded player base. I have no trouble seeing this as a case of isolated incidents as of all communities I've ever been a part on, the Project M scene has been one of the most humble and intellectually stimulating I have ever encountered. Be proud of who you are.

Last edited:

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
do the right thing APEX, host PM despite being told to not by Nintendo that way Nintendo can send out the C&D even faster :^)

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest here, as an individual, I have lost an enormous amount of respect for the Apex organisation. An organization that claims to work for the best of the smash community is not really achieving its mission statement by excluding the number 1 (in terms of player base, I will let people choose what they consider quality) professional mod made for the community. It's a bad decision, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and yes, I am a little upset about it. There's still time to turn things around and do the right thing.

However, I do not condone violent speech. We're all responsible adults and we're (smashers) already viewed as immature manchildren by many. Let's work to not confirm that false assumption. People can protest politely. There's no need for violence. Ever.

Also, I know that for the most part, the Project M community is made up of awesome people with an unusually open-minded player base. I have no trouble seeing this as a case of isolated incidents as of all communities I've ever been a part on, the Project M scene has been one of the most humble and intellectually stimulating I have ever encountered. Be proud of who you are.
If Nintendo said PM = no Apex, then the right thing to do for the community was have no PM. Im sorry to say that because 3.5 is dope and by far the best build yet. Plz don't hate on Apex if you don't know what they were told.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
4/5 is amazingly good. Plus I personally think since all then others are official title releases it makes way more sense. Plus they don't have to worry about any Nintendo backlash. Yea it sucks they don't have PM but come on, 4 smash tournaments should be more than enough for any hardcore smash fan.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
If Nintendo said PM = no Apex, then the right thing to do for the community was have no PM. Im sorry to say that because 3.5 is dope and by far the best build yet. Plz don't hate on Apex if you don't know what they were told.
I wouldn't call it hate, merely dissapointement. I merely assume that an organization that happens to be about Smash would at least stand up for its community. Mind you, I don,t have the full story and I'm not going to cast too rude a judgement, but the right thing for the community is to let PM thrive just as any other smash game that would thrive otherwise.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I wouldn't call it hate, merely dissapointement. I merely assume that an organization that happens to be about Smash would at least stand up for its community. Mind you, I don,t have the full story and I'm not going to cast too rude a judgement, but the right thing for the community is to let PM thrive just as any other smash game that would thrive otherwise.
Someone should tell the PM community that they're playing a mod. If Nintendo told Apex not to host PM, it shouldn't be "disappointing" that the staff didn't fight for it. What good would it do for an organization about smesh to be on bad terms with smesh's owners.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I don't know the full story, but if the choice was basically:

Have PM.
Get Nintendo support

Pick one.

Then honestly, I can live without PM this year. Just look at how big the Invitational was thanks to Nintendo. We don't by any means NEED their support, since we did all of this on our own, but maybe Nintendo helping us with this will make our community bigger.

You'd be an ignorant fool if you try to suggest that the Invitational didn't bring the competitive community (To an extent) to the public eye. Imagine how many people at the event, and at home said "Wow... they play this in tournies?" and we got both a larger addition to our community of players, AND recognition from Sakurai and our beloved Nintendo who brought these games to us in the first place.

So it's really just a "which is more important" situation between PM and Nintendo support. I for one, this one time, will go with Nintendo support. We have Smash 4 this time around, which I am more hyped for right now anyway, and if it turns out badly, and Nintendo's support was not worth the loss of this game, we can always decline their offer next year and keep PM intact.

Basically, this hurts a large part of the already existing community, but opens us up to new members of the community. Nintendo has the power to show an actual competitive tourney with MELEE and all to the public in ways we couldn't easily do.

So for this one time, it may just be worth it. If I'm wrong, we'll simply prevent the mistake next year. PM isn't gone for good, just this one tourney, this one year. We can live without it for this one tourney.

It's all preference of course. Many people wanted PM more than even Melee itself. I on the other hand, would rather have PM cut this year than Smash 4, but that's just me.

We'll live. End rant.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
if only PM was an actual smash game. . . . (its not, its a modification of one but it is not a smash game)

Last edited:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion

Not to hard to be number one when you're the only one. But congrats on the win running unopposed? >_>

shapular

Smash Ace

I can't respect the PM community if this is how entitled you guys are. PM was at Apex for one whole year (which you guys should be grateful for) and suddenly it's the worst thing in the world if it gets left out? You guys knew you were playing a mod all along. You knew you were putting all your time into a mod knowing it would never be as legitimate as a real Smash game. You knew if Nintendo ever got involved (which we've been hoping for for years), then PM would get left out. You knew all that and you're still outraged that it's not in a tournament that never had an obligation to include it in the first place? Don't get me wrong, I think PM is fun and I played it competitively for months, but I never had any expectation that it would be in any tournament, and neither should you guys. You should be grateful for each tournament that hosts PM as a main event, and accept it if they don't host it again.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
I can't respect the PM community if this is how entitled you guys are. PM was at Apex for one whole year (which you guys should be grateful for) and suddenly it's the worst thing in the world if it gets left out? You guys knew you were playing a mod all along. You knew you were putting all your time into a mod knowing it would never be as legitimate as a real Smash game. You knew if Nintendo ever got involved (which we've been hoping for for years), then PM would get left out. You knew all that and you're still outraged that it's not in a tournament that never had an obligation to include it in the first place? Don't get me wrong, I think PM is fun and I played it competitively for months, but I never had any expectation that it would be in any tournament, and neither should you guys. You should be grateful for each tournament that hosts PM as a main event, and accept it if they don't host it again.
How is that entitled? Do you really think people who make plans to go to events 6 months prior are entitled? You can rebuttal and say that there was no obligation for Project Melee to appear at Apex 2015, and I respect your opinion. However, if a mod that's gained popularity since its first release back in 2011 is a mod by the community for the community, I would go as far to say that it does have some sort of obligation. I don't like how you're generally grouping together every single person in the Project Melee community in one huge blob of people who quote on quote "should be grateful" for it being hosted at tournaments or it being played in general. Also, mind you, that Nintendo has been late with legitimate competitive support about 10+ years... (not even Mario Kart of Mario Party LOL) and I can almost guarantee you the only reason that they're supporting the scene is because they didn't have much of a choice when the Wii U launched. I personally believe that if you think otherwise and actually think Nintendo cares about the scene or you, wait until Evo 2015 when they attempt to make everyone swallow Smash 4's engaging meta.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
How is that entitled? Do you really think people who make plans to go to events 6 months prior are entitled? You can rebuttal and say that there was no obligation for Project Melee to appear at Apex 2015, and I respect your opinion. However, if a mod that's gained popularity since its first release back in 2011 is a mod by the community for the community, I would go as far to say that it does have some sort of obligation. I don't like how you're generally grouping together every single person in the Project Melee community in one huge blob of people who quote on quote "should be grateful" for it being hosted at tournaments or it being played in general. Also, mind you, that Nintendo has been late with legitimate competitive support about 10+ years... (not even Mario Kart of Mario Party LOL) and I can almost guarantee you the only reason that they're supporting the scene is because they didn't have much of a choice when the Wii U launched. I personally believe that if you think otherwise and actually think Nintendo cares about the scene or you, wait until Evo 2015 when they attempt to make everyone swallow Smash 4's engaging meta.
honestly don't bother with that guy. while i do agree that the mod should be left out this year to just hold the original titles. that guy honestly has no respect to give. Hes been hating on the pm game and community for like ever since he joined. best just to not get involved with it.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
blah blah blah Project Melee blah blah blah
You know the M in Project: M doesn't stand for Melee, right?

Also, the way people have been reacting to this, you'd think P:M had been permanently destroyed so that nobody could ever play it again. That's not the case at all, it's simply absent from ONE big tournament. Maybe it'll come back next year, maybe it won't. I've played P:M and enjoyed it very much, but there are still 4 other smash games at APEX to watch, which is huge. Not to mention all the other mods like Brawl+, Brawl-, or Balanced Brawl that also aren't present at APEX, and nobody's complaining about those. Same goes for Super Smash Flash 2. If a P:M tournament is really so important to you, then organize a major tournament that only has P:M.

TL;DR P:M still exists, if you want a tournament for P:M so badly then run it yourself

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
You know the M in Project: M doesn't stand for Melee, right?
You know there isn't a colon in Project M, right? And since Super Smash Flash 2 is a flash game, I'm pretty sure its a small enough niche to get under Nintendo's radar. What are they gonna do, confiscate people's laptops? With all jokes aside, Apex 2015 is going to be an interesting year.

@Road Death Wheel

I see him from time to time on streams. I personally think he's a funny guy, at least when he's not trying to be coherent.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
This was really interesting and funny, I think that PM will not be at apex because nintendo didn't wanted it but i can be totally wrong, i respect every game in the series and i find stupid how some people continue to act like kids

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Considering the fact that I actually had to read other people's comments to figure out what this video was supposed to be saying (it's still a little unclear to me, I suppose that he represents PM and the ring is him trying to get to APEX but then who does the girl represent and who is she on the phone with?), and considering that the opening bit with the song didn't have particularly creative lyrics but still ate up 1/3rd of the video, I feel this could have been done better.

I respect the effort that was put into it though, even if I'm not in love with the execution.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'll take Nintendo supporting tournaments over a mod of one of their games, as cool as it is.

Everyone acts like PM would exist without Nintendo, lol.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
What saddens me as a PM player was that I was making plans months in advance to show up to Apex to meet other people that I've talked to for a while and played with online, and to have a shot at the big scene, especially after how beautiful Apex 2014 was with everything it offered. I respect that it's the TO's decision that goes in the end, and I respect that Nintendo doesn't want to offer its support to a major that also hosts PM.

However, to put me down and say that I shouldn't not go to Apex after PM was denied when the only other Smash title I'd say I'm tourney level in is a game I detest playing competitively (Brawl) is just downright silly. To say I'm feeling entitled and I shouldn't have expected PM at Apex when there was no reason to believe before they announced it that Apex would not host PM this year (after the huge success it had last year) and my hopes were crushed as a result, come on now.

I'll still watch Apex, and I'll still support the official smash games as I have always done, but I won't be showing up to the venue, and I'll still have a bad taste in my mouth about it, thinking about what could have been. Just don't act surprised or incredulous when you see PM players feel salty or "entitled".

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
PM I great but it was doomed from the start. I love the idea, but the graphics are already dated andSmash 4 stage builder is too good.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Not to hard to be number one when you're the only one. But congrats on the win running unopposed? >_>
I can name other mods, and there's a large Brawl modding community who is attempting to compete with us, many in fact. I won't as it would be in bad taste since they didn't reach the same level of success. There's even melee SD remix that mods Melee itself thatt echnically also has similar aims. I do think however that the fact that it's the only mod to get tha tlevel of success speaks of its quality. Were Project M a terrible game, it wouldn't even have made it on the front page of publications such as IGN or Kotaku, nor would we have gotten the attention of publications such as Nintendo Force. If Project M was unprofessionally made, no amount of advertising would have helped it make it this far.

Now, I won't answer some of the others here as some have a history of trying to find fault in our community every moment they can. Some believe we are entitled, I believe that we deserve a place in the smash community. That is not being entitled, that is merely being true to yourself. Calling people entitled over having different opinions is a very overused tactic, and not very elegant. Also, I am an individual, ever dev team member is. We all have different thoughts and oppinions on the matter. This is my oppinin and mine alone.

Last edited:

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
PM never deserved to got how far it got, it dosnt deserve its precedence in the forums listing, it dosnt even deserve to be out of the brawl workshop forums. at the end of the day it is not nor will it ever be a true smash game, be grateful that Nintendo didnt send you a nice early Christmas present of a C&D letter

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Considering the fact that I actually had to read other people's comments to figure out what this video was supposed to be saying (it's still a little unclear to me, I suppose that he represents PM and the ring is him trying to get to APEX but then who does the girl represent and who is she on the phone with?), and considering that the opening bit with the song didn't have particularly creative lyrics but still ate up 1/3rd of the video, I feel this could have been done better.

I respect the effort that was put into it though, even if I'm not in love with the execution.
Soundnoises.exe//////

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Nintendo sponsoring competitive smash would be stupid. Smash 4 is not meant to be as competitive as either Melee or 64. This would probably be an effort to get the "competitive melee players" to buy smash 4.

Not to mention, No project M at the tournaments nintendo plans to sponsor would SUCK.

Narpas_sword

I completely understand why PM is not at apex, it makes sense to me.
I love PM, it's fresh to me after 13 years of playing ssbm.
But, if Nintendo support tournies officially, that's fair enough. They'll want their new game played, and not mods.

I really hate the way the community divides over these 2 great games.

But it's ok.

We'll reunite when Nintendo stop Melee from being played at APEX too =)

Because anyone thinking melee is going to get a free pass when Nintendo start pushing Smash4 harder is kidding themselves.

PM never deserved to got how far it got, it dosnt deserve its precedence in the forums listing, it dosnt even deserve to be out of the brawl workshop forums. at the end of the day it is not nor will it ever be a true smash game, be grateful that Nintendo didnt send you a nice early Christmas present of a C&D letter
After reading this post, i laughed, because i read it again, but replaced PM for things like 'Counterstrike' and 'Team Fortress'

Of course, i don't think that PM will be adopted by Nintendo. More that mods dont have to be kept away in the dark and shunned.

Last edited:

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Hey everyone,
I would like to thank everyone who tuned into the video. The main purpose of the video was to inform the community about the situations at hand. Which were apex having to drop project m, is they wanted support from Nintendo. The reason i had the girl in the skit talk to Nintendo over the phone about the "six figures" is just to in a way to exaggerate the situation a bit in a comical way. But the community has to understand in order for us to grow we have to make sacrifices for us to grow. Project m is very fortunate that tournament organizers that were all about trying to get into Esports even supported the game.

Don't get me wrong i like project m but its not an actual Nintendo made game. This doesn't mean the pm community will die. They can always have fan made tournaments. Let us all just support apex and make a good impression for Nintendo, so we can continue to get more support from them.

Last edited:

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Hey everyone,
I would like to thank everyone who tuned into the video. The main purpose of the video was to inform the community about the situations at hand. Which were apex having to drop project m, is they wanted support from Nintendo. The reason i had the girl in the skit talk to Nintendo over the phone about the "six figures" is just to in a way to exaggerate the situation a bit in a comical way. But the community has to understand in order for us to grow we have to make sacrifices for us to grow. Project m is very fortunate that tournament organizers that were all about trying to get into Esports even supported the game.

Don't get me wrong i like project m but its not an actual Nintendo made game. This doesn't mean the pm community will die. They can always have fan made tournaments. Let us all just support apex and make a good impression for Nintendo, so we can continue to get more support from them.
Wow, I actually had the reverse interpretation of that skit. I thought that you were trying to make the girl (who I assumed represented Alex Strife) seem like an asshole because she was "cheating" (selling out) on another guy for his money (Nintendo) and that the guy (Project M) got used and rejected just because he was different. Basically, I thought you were saying that Alex Strife and Nintendo were in the wrong and Project M should have been at Apex. But before this post you made, I was confused because in your earlier videos, you give a lot of support for Nintendo interacting with the scene with their decisions. To me, the skit in your new video seemed to contradict those past videos. But since you made this post, I can more clearly see what you were trying to say.

Anyways, keep up the amazing work, Wes! I absolutely love your series and am thankful for what you're doing/have done for the community!

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I definitely interpreted this video as saying that PM should have been at Apex, but the last bit had me very confused until Wes made his comment.

That aside, has Apex actually stated a reason for not having PM? The fact that they haven't announced Nintendo support makes it seem like they removed PM just to increase the chances of a donation. If Nintendo promised to donate if PM wasn't present, that's one thing. I'm upset, but I can't fault Apex. However, if they are just doing this just so Nintendo MIGHT donate, that's plain wrong.

Secondly, I'm not sure this will help the community grow simply because Smash 4 has created a LOT of problems, and now will receive all the blame for PM not being at Apex. I'm sure plenty of people knew they wouldn't like Smash 4 before the release, but after what happened with Brawl, they knew Smash 4 wouldn't be able to cause any harm to the Melee and PM communities.
Unfortunately, Nintendo hyped it up by making it seem like a 'middle ground' for the competitive and casual communities, when they gave us what I would argue is the most casual installment to the series yet, and at the very least, nowhere near the middle ground many people hoped for. They got people's hopes up who would have otherwise ignored the game, and now the community is upset. We've already had two or three events where Smash 4 took precedence over the other games and outright ruined the event for many viewers (KTAR and Tuesday's Xanadu off the top of my head). Smash 4 has drawn a lot of new faces to the game, but it's also caused a huge rift in the community, and if this kind of thing continues to happen, nothing good can come of it.

shapular

Smash Ace
After reading this post, i laughed, because i read it again, but replaced PM for things like 'Counterstrike' and 'Team Fortress'

Of course, i don't think that PM will be adopted by Nintendo. More that mods dont have to be kept away in the dark and shunned.
Counterstrike and Team Fortress were made to give players the ability to play games in new ways. PM was made because players were butthurt that the new Smash game wasn't exactly like the previous Smash game. PMDT didn't add multiplayer functionality to a single-player game. They actually took away functionality by only having 14 characters in the first version and not even having all the characters back until last December. They didn't even have to experiment with constants for gravity, hitstun, etc. like other mods did to see what worked. All they had to do is copy Melee. Why would Nintendo want to adopt a game they already made?

Top Bottom