• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wes Puts Smash On Blast In His 6th Episode About Custom Moves

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Last night, Community figure and Melee Samus main Wes released the 6th episode of his web series, Smash on Blast. He talks about custom move sets, how he thinks tournament organizers should handle them, and puts some people on blast. Wes is happy to be a controversial figure, but makes some strong and interesting points throughout this latest episode - take a listen and see if you agree with his ideas.

Smash on Blast Episode 6: Custom Moves, Pretty Please Don't Go!
What do you think of this latest episode? Is Wes right? Or does he go too far? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit loves Wes and Smash on Blast. Discuss this video with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
the hungry hungry hippos killed me. Hoping the samus comes back Wes.

Frank Ploegmakers

Smash Cadet
can't agree more! I would like to have custom movesets in the competitions!

They provide a longer range of strategy and depth. This will make smash more complicated and more fun at the same time imo.

I hope nintendo will make a online match where you can play ranked matches with custom movesets. If you don't agree, i would like to hear your reasons.

PS: this is just an opinion of a casuall smash gamer, but wants to play for glory matches often on the wii u.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Custom moves should be perfectly fine. When I saw all of the custom moves that NinjaLink posted on YouTube, most of them were pretty terrible. I'm sure that if customs are allowed, people would only use a few since, like I said, most are pretty terrible.

As for custom equipment... That's another story for later. It's more controversial than custom moves.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ha ha.. humor always drives a good point home.

In any case, I'd love to see Custom Moves (CMs) appear and stay in the competitive scene. A lot more characters will become more or less viable based on what we do with them.

Keep on Smash'in friends.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm pro-custom moves as well.

If we don't embrace what makes SSB4 unique, then it just loses its identity and we might as well call it Brawl 2.0.

The only people I've seen hating on CM usually bring up the nightmare of making a tier list with CM included.
Funny, I don't remember MvC3 having such a hard time placing characters depending on their assist type.

BTW I don't even want to hear about tiers at least until 1 year after the Wii U version is out. :p

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
Nice vid. Though the Wii U version isn't out yet, does anyone know what the "Connect to Wii U" feature on the 3ds does? I see it in the demo but its (obviously) not accessible to us yet. Perhaps we'll be able to directly connect our names and custom moves through that feature, saving tournament organizers tons of time.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Thank you Based Wes.:4miibrawl:

Renji64

Smash Lord
This dude said stop focusing on other games just for smash 4? That is some foolishness. Custom moves don't seem broken. This dude is a ****boi.

Skyle

Smash Rookie
I don't know; I still feel conflicted about the characters with massively great recoveries like Pit, Villager, Rosalina, Pac-Man, etc.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
This n**** ain't afraid to to be blunt. I like that. Respect.
I agree with a lot of things he said!

However, don't think everyone should stop playing other games (Melee/PM) for the sake of Smash 4 though. Just play what you like. There are still scenes for games like StreetFighter: Turbo and other previous installments of fighting games.

At the same time, I would love it if Smash 4 became the primary smash game for the community.

Last edited:

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
LMAO theres a smash illuminati!? May someone PLEEEEASE direct me to the source of how that started so I can get a laugh off?

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Why can't there be two different types of tournaments? One for the default moves and one for custom moves? Is there a particular reason?

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
I don't think Wes is saying drop Melee completely and only play Smash 4, I think he's saying that we need to stop making Melee the main game and focus more on Smash 4, since it is the new game that's bringing a lot of new people to the scene (including myself) and it will help the community grow. Look at Street Fighter or MVC for example. 3rd Strike and MVC2 didn't bring any new blood to their scenes, it was only old fogies playing those games, and those were dark times for the FGC. With the release of SF4 and MVC3, the FGC has boosted tremendously with the number of new players those games brought to the scene. If the Smash scene wants to see growth like this, then it needs to embrace Smash 4 as the main game, and stop relying on an ancient game just because it's what they're comfortable with. Either adapt, or get left behind. That's how I feel.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Agreed. If you don't play the new smash games you'll never get follow ups. Keep the series alive!

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
That was a blunt yet accurate statement. There's pretty much no real reason to ban custom moves.

The Smash Illuminati pretty much exists whether intentionally or not just because the community puts the top players on a pedestal and treats them like gods. The invisible Back Room doesn't help either. If you let players who make money on the game influence bans, they're logically gonna pick what gets them more cash.

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Character customizations are a great thing. For tournament play, I don't agree with having the TO's float around supervising every match. Way too much overhead. In tournament play, everyone should have pre-customized their movesets for every system with a max of like 3 different tags per player.

Miis should not be tournament legal. A gazillion weight classes, attributes, and moves are nightmarish for tournaments. It would change 5 min matches into 15 min matches with setup time. Imagine someone playing Marth and you counterpicking them with a Mii designed to duck under grabs, have a longer range sword, and an untipperable weight class. It doesn't reward skill, just unnecessary jank.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I am generally all for custom moves and supporting Smash 4, however I should probably add my own opinion that a certain custom move should be banned if it is OP. In order to do this, we need a cast of unbiased people who know this game and its custom moves extremely well, which will obviously take a long while, but I feel will be worth it.

I also disagree with how we should just drop Melee. If at all possible, we should focus on keeping Melee but at the same time supporting Smash 4's growth to a potential... stardom of sorts, if you catch my drift.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else he says.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I agreed with him on this.
We need custom moves some love, Sakurai and the team they made soo much effort making the custom moves viable and balanced. And yes, those custom move they put a lot of effort to it.
And now people are banning, soo... All that wrok for nothing!?

Look I like the custom moves to be use in tourment but I really don;t like Custom Equipment that thing is gonna be banned, I not necessary to have it so that why Custom move only are the only thing I want to see.
I saw :4duckhunt: custom moves. There have their weakness and advantage, each one of them, it was very cool and they don't seem very overpowerd, just different. Heck you can make a Wild Gunman offensive or Defensive using a Giant gunman to protect you, but the range and power he shot suck at it, That how good and the possibility of custom move of each character, and that was:4duckhunt:. Imagine all the character they have especially :4mii::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: :4miif::4palutena:.

Just give custom moves a chance. Equipment need a chance to but I don't think there gonna make so. Make Custom Move really but really a chance to bright. (I Planning two slots of same custom move-set one with equipment and one with Zero equipment and just custom.)

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I disagree, if I had known how crappy brawl was, i wouldn't have bought it. Nintendo is banking on everyone buying something because its the next smash game and we have to give it a chance. If Nintendo can sell just as many copies of a game whether its good or bad, they will just keep making bad games. The community can buy whatever they want, but im not giving into sales pressure. Im still gunna play melee, it seems like a completely different game at this point.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Lmao Boyz n the hood. I for one support this. I don't want the other games to die but I at least want to give Smash 4 a chance. A place where there is no tier list and people playing the game for fun. I want to see new people in the scene.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Character customizations are a great thing. For tournament play, I don't agree with having the TO's float around supervising every match. Way too much overhead. In tournament play, everyone should have pre-customized their movesets for every system with a max of like 3 different tags per player.

Miis should not be tournament legal. A gazillion weight classes, attributes, and moves are nightmarish for tournaments. It would change 5 min matches into 15 min matches with setup time. Imagine someone playing Marth and you counterpicking them with a Mii designed to duck under grabs, have a longer range sword, and an untipperable weight class. It doesn't reward skill, just unnecessary jank.
Is there a standard mii because if there is a standard mii then that should be no problem

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
That was a blunt yet accurate statement. There's pretty much no real reason to ban custom moves.

The Smash Illuminati pretty much exists whether intentionally or not just because the community puts the top players on a pedestal and treats them like gods. The invisible Back Room doesn't help either. If you let players who make money on the game influence bans, they're logically gonna pick what gets them more cash.[/quote/]

Well time constraints can be a good reason to ban custom moves other than that they should be fine

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I agree Custom moves should be in tournaments. I also agree that people should play more than just melee and give other smash games a chance. Kind of getting sick of see melee game play all of the time.

Top Bottom