• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Welcome to the Weekly Nintendo Corner! Every week as the weekend nears, Smashboards will be covering a title from the Nintendo pantheon. Most of the time, these are new releases or games that are coming out soon, but do expect surprises – every once in a while, there may be a blast from the past

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

This week’s topic is the 2008 release Super Smash Bros. Brawl, commonly shortened to “Brawl”. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the third game in the series. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the sequel to Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. (for those who missed Melee and 64, for 64 and for Melee. Super Smash Bros. Brawl added a story mode along with new features, gameplay, characters, and more from the Nintendo universe to continue duking it out.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl contained many large changes from the previous entries. While many of the same basic mechanics stuck, speed was heavily changed, an online mode, and a big emphasis on the Subspace Emissary

Premise in Development

Unlike the previous titles, Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a lot more development time. The development officially started in October 2005 and continued until January 2008; over 24 months of time. That’s more time than the previous two games combined! Much like the previous games, practically everything in the Wii is used to make it work. It ended up using a dual-layer disc due to the size of the game data; some Wii’s had a problem reading this due to a contaminated laser lens. Nintendo ended up offering free repairs to any with this problem.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl was first announced in a pre-E3 2005 press conference. Sakurai was not informed of the intent of releasing a new game in the series; despite this, he came back and agreed to work as Director. When development began, Nintendo opened a new office in Tokyo to make it happen and received help from many games studios, including, but not limited to, Game Arts, Paon, Monolith Soft, several Third-Party companies, and The Pokemon Company. While 100 worked on the project full time, hundreds worked on the game in assisting.

Easily the most interesting aspect during Development was the Super Smash Bros DOJO!! over here. This was a site that updated every weekday with new information about the game – it was always a surprise, though. Whether it was a new stage, a character, or whatever else. This ended up returning in a variation for Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS but Brawl had it as a Smash First, and it had quite the shocks.

Of course, Super Smash Bros. Brawl came with its own development problems. When given too much, it’s easy to get greedy and ambitious at a rapidly fast rate. Fortunately, the team was able to stay in scope, but it wasn’t easy to stay in scope. At many times, it felt as if the game would never come out with having not one but two delays!

Much like Super Smash Bros. Melee, many aspects of Brawl are not discussed from the development stages; heck, much more is cryptic. There’s more information out to speculate than what’s actually known.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl, despite being a very ambitious game with a legacy to live up to, still ended up being released in a realistic time frame and being a quality game.

Result

The result of Super Smash Bros. Brawl was quite the feat for a console like the Wii. With twelve million in sales, being one of the greatest selling Wii games, and a huge helper of the trio of major games before the drought (Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii came in-between), continuing a series trend of fantastic reviews across the board, and still noticed for an early release in the year? Simply amazing.

Of course, that isn’t all to the story. Community reception wasn’t the most positive, but looking at a different angle, this game truly displays the Smash community’s love of Smash from many different angles.

For a start, this was easily one of the most speculated games of all time before release. There was almost always something new to talk about from announcement trailer until release. What is Snake doing in Smash Bros.? Will characters be cut? What other newcomers will be present? What about stages? – The questions continued onwards until release.

More was had for it too; a fresh taste of something new to keep the series relevant while remaining different – The huge focus to a lean of reads opponents needed made a huge difference in overall skill of Smash. One other big change was more multiplayer modes being added in; Subspace Emissary being a big one to attribute to this.

Pre-release and launch? That’s not all to the game’s hidden success. Considering the Wii was a pretty easy console to mod, quickly after the Game’s release, many took it upon themselves to modify the game to stuff they wanted – Even with all the content, Nintendo fans could always imagine more, but now they themselves could create! What’s amazing is still the amount of hours put in to modify the game – Project M, a modification of Brawl to make it faster, more competitive, and more engaging, - was recorded to be over 10,000 man hours from all team members. That’s madness!

While Brawl may have taken a while to gain respect for, it was still a game of passion from all ends and easily one of the most interesting games ever to watch; from pre-release to all the modifications that came with it

Project M

Project M started out as an attempt to change Falco to play more like Melee. Quickly, though, the potential was realized and a team came to truly make this game plausible.

While it does take inspiration from Melee and carries over many aspects of Melee, it still uses Super Smash Bros. Brawl for a base – all of the cast from the Roster stuck in, so it’s quite the treat.

Of course, Project M also does bring upon its own new content. Many custom outfits, different stages, a debug mode, a turbo mode, All-Star Versus, and much more! Project M is so big as it's own entity that it's even been listed as a top Ten game.l

While this is a mod made by many talented people, the amount of polish put into it, especially for a fan project, is the amount of work hardly ever seen in the Games industry. If you're a fan of Smash and haven't already, check it out here!

About the Team

Ad Hoc Development Team (many studios) is a group of many studios that worked together. It’s hard to put the credits on just one company for a game so huge; many companies contributed a piece.

The most interesting one is easily Sora Ltd.; this is Masahiro Sakurai’s own independent company. They’re known for contracting employees with two main full time employees – Masahiro Sakurai and his Wife.

The other works from Sora Ltd. Thus far are Meteos, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U

For more information of Sora Ltd., check here and for more information about Brawl's development, check here

Music
And to think there’s over 250 songs with many remixes!

How to Obtain Brawl

Super Smash Bros. Brawl ranges from about $30 for a new copy with a used copy being about $15. 2GB SD cards or lower for the Wii range about $5-15 bucks with this recommendation . With it using the Wii and being able to play Melee and 64, and the Wii’s being at a low price, if you’re in looking for a copy of Brawl, now is easily the time!

Fondest memory with Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Did you ever stay up speculating? Enjoy Project M? Did this medium length piece manage to give good coverage to Project M and Brawl? Let us know in the comments below, and just hang in there a bit longer, as we’re almost done with the month of Smash!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Collector, Musician, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He’s continuing on his reign of being back in action with more content than ever before! He has a lot of fond memories with Brawl as well and is excited for APEX, CEO, and Evo. Chat with him about Brawl and other Smash Memories on @Thirdkoopa so he’s not alone.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
Brawl was my childhood heh heh....
I still remember getting that final smash for the first time as kirby cooking everyone up :)

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
58409550.jpg
CAN WE JUST ALL GET ALONG!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Brawl was awesome, yeah it will get bashed for eternity but people know deep down that at one point or another they really had fun playing it.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I remember putting in so many hours into this game when I first got it.

It wasn't the first Smash game I played, but it will always have a place in my heart. I loved the roster and the adventure mode.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Man, I can't remember how much fun I had with this game (which was the first I've bought along with the Wii) even though the random tripping ruined it. I enjoyed playing as Snake and Wolf a lot.

Those two will be missed.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
If SSB4 DK had Brawl DK's power.......Brawl DK was the only thing that made me like Brawl more than Melee. Not trying to start a flame war there so don't try either.

Achroma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-7850-1658
I loved this Smash with all of my heart. I put in so many hours that it's actually quite ridiculous.

Sadly, we don't see much, if any, of Brawl anymore.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
If SSB4 DK had Brawl DK's power.......Brawl DK was the only thing that made me like Brawl more than Melee. Not trying to start a flame war there so don't try either.
Brawl DK was pretty good in Brawl but those chain grabs really hit him hard I'm glad Sakurai and his team found a way to get rid of that in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Super Meta-Climbers brawl was the name of the project during early development. They should have kept the name.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how everyone is talking about people hating on brawl but nobody has hated on it yet.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I really like Brawl. I spent countless hours playing it even though I could play 64. One of the best games I've ever played. Tied with Project M.

Expecting me to pick a side, haters? :troll:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I, at least, am thankful for the bountiful fruit which Brawl has given us, namely Project M. I was surprised such an ugly tree could make such sweetness.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well, there was one good thing about the game and that was the trailer. Otherwise, I would love to have a "Chain of Memories" moment and forget everything about it until the current Smash.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Man SSBB may have been the worst Smash Bros, but every smasher at least has 1 good memory from it right? Brawl was still great, though now with Smash 4 out, even when talking about the 3DS, kind of hard to talk about good times.

T0RN

I'm Torn
I like all smash games, and I support all smashers. This was my first smash game, and it eased me into competitive melee. For that I am very grateful. And it's still a fun game to play with friends.

Jupiter9099

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0748-3222-8455
Putting this here, because I love playing kirby in brawl.

I don't get why people bash Chudat. I think he plays an awesome Kirby, considering that my main has been Kirby for over 13 years now.

Zoa

Smash Ace
I forsee the usual moaning and irrational blanket statements during these kind of things...

I'm late.

Anyways, it was a fun game for me for a few years after launch. Ended up actually learning to appreciate how a game plays after it though. Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth afterwards. I really don't like it nor Smash 4. However if you enjoy either title, then that's fine by me.

kaz99

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
KAZ#306
Switch FC
SW-3846-9922-7779
A great entry to the series and it doesn't deserve as much of the hate it got. Sure tripping was annoying and the physics were too floaty but I still had fun.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Super Smash Bros. Brawl was my first Smash Bros. title and one of my first video games overall. I knew nothing of Melee or of the original Smash Bros. at the time. However, I was drawn to it for that same reason people were drawn to the original Nintendo 64 installment. There at Toys 'R' Us, I saw a promotional poster displaying my childhood friend, Mario. That was not surprising. However, it was what surrounded him that captured me. Pikachu, and the main character from Pokemon FireRed were on the cover! There was Princess Peach with Samus Aran too, and even Fox McCloud! What - is that Wario? Why is he in a biker outfit? So many questions! But I knew I must have this "Super Smash Bros.", and for several years that was all I knew. I'd like to say I played this game with friends, but I didn't. I most unfortunately lacked friends because I moved around constantly, but Brawl stayed with me, and I owe a lot to it.

I completely self-taught myself how to play Brawl independently. I didn't even own a computer. However, I kept the instruction booklet with me as if it was a biblical text. I use to read it at elementary school. What an experience opening that little booklet was. I don't think I looked at much beyond the character pages - you should have seen my face when I learned my beloved hedgehog joined the Brawl too. But anyways, I learned what a Special move was and a Final Smash through this. What really taught me the game was the single-player campaign.

I didn't even realize there was a multiplayer component of Smash until much much later. I booted up the game and chose "Solo" because, well I was the only one playing at that time! lol I entered the Subspace Emissary, a story that continues to fill me with nostalgia. I remembered how it felt epic, and I also remember mild confusion who this pink puffy creature was and how he could swallow me. "Wait, I thought the green guy was Zelda." "Who's Pit? He seems cool. What game's he from?" "A nuclear bomb? Wait, Petey Piranha?! "Where is Wario taking Peach?" "Okay, this is fun."

What I owe to the third Smash installment did not end with Subspace. I was limited in my gaming exposure to Mario, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon, and Star Fox. I vaguely knew of the handsome green elf from the creepy game with the wolf that my brother liked to play, and was oblivious to who Kirby, Olimar, Marth, and Captain Falcon were. However, the Subspace Emissary left me wanting to know who they were. It all started when I found a Kirby title in New York's Time Square of all places. Kirby: Squeak Squad, I believe. I was hooked and have been the proud owner of every subsequent Kirby title. I fell in love with The Legend of Zelda series, naturally. Fire Emblem: Awakening is my absolute favorite Nintendo 3DS title. Long story short, I have grown to love and appreciate all that Nintendo has to offer solely through Brawl. In fact, I think the only franchise that has had playable representation in Smash Bros. that I have not played is Wii Fit and Metal Gear Solid, but I like the Wii Fit Trainer and Solid Snake irregardless.

I've played Project M, Melee, the original, and currently play the latest installments for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. I don't think I've played Brawl without Project M installed, and I do believe Melee handles its core combat a bit better than Brawl, I would be a fool to say that Brawl was not an amazing, quality title that will never be replaced in my life. Tripping and all.

Last edited:

Ricochet J

Smash Rookie
I really enjoyed Brawl's Subspace Emissary. Best single player in the series. I never really played much multiplayer until recently (none of my high school friends played and then I moved to college). I don't find the Vs. mode very fun at all. It feels like fighting on the moon because it's so floaty. Melee trumps it in that category, IMO.

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
honestly i don't really hate brawl that much. it had subspace which was fun and if brawl wasn't made then project m wouldn't exist

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Apex is the last chance for brawl to get its redemption. If only they ban MK and ICs chain grabs.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Brawl was bada$$ Mothertruckers never seen or played that much swag at once son!

Naw, but i will always love brawl.^^

Last edited:
Top Bottom