• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Are you buying Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire?

• Omega Ruby

Votes: 94 35.1%
  • Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 98 36.6%
  • Both!

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 34 12.7%

• Total voters

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Welcome to the Weekly Nintendo Corner! Every week, as the weekend nears, Smashboards will be covering a title from the Nintendo pantheon. Most of the time, these are new releases or games that are coming out soon, but we’re not exempt from surprises – every once in a while, there may be an old classic or forgotten treasure thrown in! Check back every week for the scoop on the upcoming Nintendo games.

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

This week’s game is Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire! Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes to the 2002 Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Don’t be fooled, – they’re not your average remakes. Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will contain several features from Pokemon X and Y, along with other improvements.

It’s not only game features, though! New Mega Evolutions are in along with a “Primal Form” for Kyogre and Groudon. With the new primal forms, there’s a good chance that the lore and story will be expanded on!

The previous remakes, Fire Red & Leaf Green, and Heart Gold & Sould Silver, were nothing short of impressive; there’s much more to check out!

Premise

To those who skipped out on Generation 3, fret not - we have you covered! The story involves Team Magma and Team Aqua trying to take over the world by awakening Groudon and Kyogre to achieve their end, with the two teams facing off against each other.

What makes the conflict more interesting is that Kyogre and Groudon haven’t always got along. Rayquaza confronted them and kept them from battling in Pokemon Emerald. This part of the story, however, was only available in Pokemon Emerald.

With the new Primal forms for Groudon and Kyogre along with the part from Pokemon Emerald, it’s only inevitable that the lore gets expanded. The description given for the game promises to “take the players through a dramatic story within a spectacular world.”

Following the announcement with that description, a few were left confused as to whether these were remakes or new games altogether. A clarification had to be issued out that these are full on new-releases.

Features

New Megas and Primal Evolutions – Sceptile and Swampert both now have Mega's. For the sake of those avoiding spoilers, this section is spoiler boxed:
Beedrill, Pidgeot, Slowbro, Steelix, Sableye, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Altaria, Glalie, Salamence, Megatross, Rayquaza, Lopunny, Gallade, Audino, and Diance
all now contain Mega Forms.

Cosplay Pikachu - There's a special Pikachu that can change the appearence to match contest types. Cosplay Pikachu has a black tail at the end, and Cosplay Pikachu can turn into a Rock Star, Belle, Pop Star, Ph. D, and a Libre.

Horde Encounters - Horde Encounters were introduced in Pokemon X/Y. Now the Horde encounters have been updated to sometimes include battles against multiple trainers!

About the Team(s)

Game Freak is located in Tokyo Taishido with founder Satoshi Tajiri, lead Pokemon artist Ken Sugimori, and lead Pokemon Game Director Junichi Masuda at the helm of the company.

Asides from Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, Game Freak is known for being the developers of the mainline Pokemon games (Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Saphire/Emerald, Diamond/Pearl, Black/White 1-2, X/Y, and any previous remakes), Solitba, HarmoKnight, Drill Dozer, and quite an assortment of others. Read more about them here!

The Pokemon Company has locations in Bellevue, WA, Tokyo, London, and Seoul. The Pokemon Company is primarily known for marketing and licensing the Pokemon Franchise with it's affiliation with Nintendo. Check more about them here!

Music

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will be released on November 21st 2014 in most regions with Europe getting it on the 28th of November on 3DS. Keep checking the front page; we’re sure to have more about these two titles!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Game Collector, Musician, Gamer, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He's a friendly guy too. Go talk to him on Twitter about Pokemon and how this month of November is AWESOME for games! @Thirdkoopa

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Gotta be honest,
I hated this gen of games.
from what I've gotten, the main reason they were so hated then was because:
-you couldn't trade Pokemon from the Gameboy/GBC over
-They removed the Day/Night cycle and clock from GSC
-before FRLG,. the total amount of pokemon you could catch was 200

none of these are problems now though.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452

My issue with Gen 3 (not the Gen 1 remakes, loved those) was there was SO MUCH SURFING. It got really annoying because you moved so slow when surfing, which is why this remake better fix that. Let me surf fast god dangit.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation

None of those are my problem.
I don't trade Pokemon and the amount I don't care about.

Just the game and the design of the world; I detested.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
None of those are my problem.
I don't trade Pokemon and the amount I don't care about.

Just the game and the design of the world; I detested.
Same here, I love Pokémon, but I think I'm gonna skip this. I stopped playing Competitive Singles since July, so I don't really care about a remake that much. (and it pisses me off how Gamefreak refuses to patch XY to add the new Megas)

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
probably gonna wait until emerald, thats the one I got when they first came out.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Same here, I love Pokémon, but I think I'm gonna skip this. I stopped playing Competitive Singles since July, so I don't really care about a remake that much. (and it pisses me off how Gamefreak refuses to patch XY to add the new Megas)
I would think that the patch will come once the games actually release, seeing as how that's the only time it actually matters anyway. If they were added now, there would still be no way to mega evolve them due to the lack of mega-ites

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Wow. I didn't know the 3rd gen Hoenn games were so hated...I thought they were pretty good, but maybe I just think that because Emerald was one of my first games.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I missed out on those games on the GBA so this is my chance to check them out...although with Smash Bros. Wii U coming out, I'll have to hold off on those for the time being.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
I'll buy Omega Ruby a week after Smash Wii U comes out. Only have enough money for one game right now.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
definitly my favourite gen. first time we had a equal amount of water and land witch i love.
it when the pokemon designs started really poping out.
my favourite champion
best mystery trio legendaries. the regis were just so mysterious and forign. plus the music.
dem trumpets.
the first creative way of getting your pokemon. in an emergancy and not just. here ya go.
plus my favpurite pokemon. Gardevoir!
can't wait to find a ralts.

gamestationpro

Smash Cadet
NNID
gamestationpro
3DS FC
1993-8204-9756
Anyone who wants a demo code message me i'd be happy to give them out to my fellow smashers :)

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
definitly my favourite gen. first time we had a equal amount of water and land witch i love.
it when the pokemon designs started really poping out.
my favourite champion
best mystery trio legendaries. the regis were just so mysterious and forign. plus the music.
dem trumpets.
the first creative way of getting your pokemon. in an emergancy and not just. here ya go.
plus my favpurite pokemon. Gardevoir!
can't wait to find a ralts.
Oh sure, it was equal... but at least on land you could move faster if you wanted, where as in the water you always had a set speed... and it was WAY to slow for the amount of surfing you had to do.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I am honestly SO HYPED for the 21st and the best part is that it is a few days away and nothing else and ALSO this and smash are gonna be the best games of the year BY FAR!

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Oh sure, it was equal... but at least on land you could move faster if you wanted, where as in the water you always had a set speed... and it was WAY to slow for the amount of surfing you had to do.
lol i like water so i was pretty good lol im not argueing prefference im just stating what i liked i hope you can respect that. besides it a whole lot faster than the first 2 games lol put that surfing speed in gen three than you will be really angry.
but im pretty sure it will be X and Y surf speed.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
No 3DS for me so I won't be picking these up, but Gen 3 was my second favourite generation of them all. Glad it got a re-make!

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Wow. I didn't know the 3rd gen Hoenn games were so hated...I thought they were pretty good, but maybe I just think that because Emerald was one of my first games.
Gen 3 kinda is where the fanbase got split

Some people that started with Gen 1 & 2 were starting to lose interest in the franchise due the overall Pokemon craze was dying, while a good portion had very mixed feelings about RS, due Gen 3 was when the franchise got rebooted.

There are offcourse the common done to death arguments like "to much water, I can't transfer my Gen 2 Pokemon etc."

Although imo it also has to do with age, due its only logical that the people that were kids when the original RS released & got introduced to the franchise, will have bigger nostalgia's feelings for it, then someone that started with Gen 1

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
lol i like water so i was pretty good lol im not argueing prefference im just stating what i liked i hope you can respect that. besides it a whole lot faster than the first 2 games lol put that surfing speed in gen three than you will be really angry.
but im pretty sure it will be X and Y surf speed.
Oh don't get me wrong, I hate surfing in those games too. I guess I should say I don't dislike Gen 3 just because of surfing. Its just the only one of all the pokemon games where I could never play through it a second time and have fun with it. Especially in Emerald. Another game in the series that had the exact same effect on me was Platinum... except I actually really enjoy Diamond and Pearl.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Emerald was my first Pokemon game, screw you all Hoenn haters.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Does anyone know the differences between versions?
not all are known at the moment but most games have a few pokemon defferences and in generation 3 there was two different stories and emerald combined the two and made a even deeper storyline but the story differnes have team magma in omega ruby and team aqua in alpha saphire so nothing TOO BIG but if you prefer one of the legendaries than i would get the one with that mascot legendary! hope i helped:)

rabbitwanter

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-6300-0237
i just tied the poll for whos buying ruby or sapphire haha
im so excited mega loppuny will be beautiful and wonderful

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can understand people not liking Ruby/Sapphire, but I dunno. Wasn't too bad when I played it. And since I wasn't so critical as a kid back then, I still thought it was a decent Pokemon game. And with this remake coming in a few days with a bigger story and a stronger personality to the cast, I wouldn't mind replaying it (Omega Ruby preordered btw).

Probably has been done to death by now but has anyone wonder how Mega Diancie looks quite similar to Ultimate Madoka in PMMM? Maybe a slight inspiration that a Nintendo rep caught on watching the show? It's not too far-fetched from what I believe.

Also, it's spelled Diancie, not Diance.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
not all are known at the moment but most games have a few pokemon defferences and in generation 3 there was two different stories and emerald combined the two and made a even deeper storyline but the story differnes have team magma in omega ruby and team aqua in alpha saphire so nothing TOO BIG but if you prefer one of the legendaries than i would get the one with that mascot legendary! hope i helped:)
Yeah I played Sapphire back in the day. Probably gonna go sapphire again.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Yeah I played Sapphire back in the day. Probably gonna go sapphire again.
yeah sapphire is a great choice but personally even though kyogre is an absolute monster in competitive i personally thinkj groudon is more menacing and cool... and also with his new primal abilities there is no doubt that he will be a HUGE threat against any oponent!!!

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Omega Ruby is for me; Iv'e been transfering my Sceptile from Ruby to Gen VI just to mega evolve it in his new but familiar home.

Top Bottom