• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekend Watchlist 10: Six Stellar Events To Watch This Weekend

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Welcome to the tenth edition of Weekend Watchlist, the best way to find the most exciting tournaments to watch each weekend! We help fans satisfy that craving for Smash content by sifting through the tournaments and streams planned for each weekend and coming up with the best to tune into. We're going to be trying something new for the tenth edition of the list with a new condensed format that gets straight to the point. Be sure to let us know how you felt about it in the comments below. Without further ado, here is the Weekend Watchlist!

---​

Dates: July 4th - 5th

Events:
  • Melee (Singles + "Legacy" Doubles)
  • Smash for Wii U (Singles + Doubles)
  • DODGEBALL!!!

Notable Names:
  • Smash for Wii U: ZeRo, Rizner, Kel, Overswarm, Wizzrobe, KishPrime, AceStarThe3rd
  • Melee: Armada, Nintendude, MacD, Wizzrobe, Duck, Kalamazhu, Hungrybox, Swedish Delight, Leffen, Westballz, ORLY, Prince Abu, Kira
Stream: VGBootcamp

More Info: Information Pack - Smashboards Thread - Facebook Event Page - Brackets - Trailer

Dates: July 4th - 5th

Events:
  • Melee (Singles + Doubles) - $1000 Pot Bonus
  • Smash for Wii U (Singles + Doubles)

Notable Names:
  • Melee: SFAT, Mew2King, KirbyKaze, Raynex, Toph, Coastward, n0ne
  • Smash 4 Wii U: Xatic, Ally, Mew2King
Stream: EvenMatchupGaming

More Info: Smashboards Thread - Facebook Event Page

Dates: July 5th

Events: Smash for Wii U (Singles + Doubles)

Signups: 100+

Stream: Good Games Well Played

More Info: Smash Europe Info - Facebook Event

Dates: July 4th

Events:
  • Melee (Singles) - $1050 Pot Bonus
  • Smash for Wii U (Singles) - $1050 Pot Bonus (128 entrants!)
Notable Names:
  • Melee: Kage, Vwins
  • Smash 4 Wii U: Holy
Stream: SSBMontreal

More Info: Smashboards Event Page - Facebook Event Page -

Dates: July 4th

Events:
  • Smash for Wii U (Singles)

Stream: NinjaLink

More Info: Smashboards Thread

Dates: July 3rd

Events:
  • Smash 64 (Singles)
  • Melee (Singles)
  • Smash for Wii U (Singles)

Stream: SmashBrosSpain

More Info: Smash Bros Spain Post
---​

So choose a stream, maybe fire up multitwitch, and satisfy that need for Smash with the coolest events around! If there are events that should be featured in next week's Weekend Watchlist submit this simple form and they will be featured. Another friendly reminder to let us know what you think of the new format in the comments, and get ready for some great Smash this weekend!

Last edited:

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
Let's be honest, is anyone actually going to watch any of these besides FC Return and EXP? FC Return is going to have ZeRo, Armada, Leffen, Hungrybox, Westballz, Wizzrobe, and MacD there, and it is on the biggest Smash stream there is: VGBootCamp. EXP is streamed by EvenMatchupGaming and will have Mew2King, SFAT, Ally, Toph, and n0ne.

So who here is actually going to watch the other events (GGWP, RenoveCup, Smash Island, Montreal Comicon)?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Let's be honest, is anyone actually going to watch any of these besides FC Return and EXP? FC Return is going to have ZeRo, Armada, Leffen, Hungrybox, Westballz, Wizzrobe, and MacD there, and it is on the biggest Smash stream there is: VGBootCamp. EXP is streamed by EvenMatchupGaming and will have Mew2King, SFAT, Ally, Toph, and n0ne.

So who here is actually going to watch the other events (GGWP, RenoveCup, Smash Island, Montreal Comicon)?
i'm sure there won't always be hype matches going on at fc return/exp, just like any other tournament. there is merit in checking out other streams

Last edited:

q_e_d

Smash Rookie
I like the new format! Pretty much all info necessary for deciding what to watch is there and anything else can just be looked up on the tournament websites.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Could you please add The People's Tournament II? We have 80 people pre-registered and a lot of big names confirmed. Honestly it's kind of insulting that you guys don't have us up here

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist

The People's Tournament II will have Arc, Mojo, Sethlon, Drinking Food, Lee Martin, and a bunch of other good players

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Could you please add The People's Tournament II? We have 80 people pre-registered and a lot of big names confirmed. Honestly it's kind of insulting that you guys don't have us up here
I don't wanna gunk up the thread too much so spoilers:

Lemme stop you here for just a minute. To start this off, I write as a volunteer for SEVEN websites now producing content for free. On top of my newest job where I'm payed to write, that's 9 websites. I got a wife and kid too. I'm a very busy man.

A fter every single week asking on Twitter for events to cover, I pushed hard on /r/smashbros for people to help out submitting events they'd like covered recently (seriously, free media presence on multiple websites for a few minutes time and it couldn't hit the front page). Every single week these very stories have asked for folks to submit the tournaments they think I should be covering in the future. I have a nice little form linked above I've spread all over the place to submit events. It takes less than a minute to pop me a message on Smashboards either with a link to the thread saying "hey can you cover this" too.

It's insulting after all that work maybe one person sends in an event every now and then and I have to grab the tournaments I know are going on from talking to friends to use because I'm incredibly busy working for free to help our community grow for upwards on 8 hours a day every day (while trying to work a real job too) that every single week someone comes in angry I didn't catch one event or another on these lists. The folks who throw around insults or act indignant when doing so just make it worse.

Now normally I'd be up for covering it, especially since it looks to be a good event but the article is up and spread on social media and my title with six tournaments to watch is set not to mention I have deadlines for tomorrow I'm not going to. Next time pop me a quick message and you'll find yourself on the top of the list (an honor I tend to reserve for the fine folks who send me events as a sign of thanks).

Last edited:

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I don't wanna gunk up the thread too much so spoilers:

Lemme stop you here for just a minute. To start this off, I write as a volunteer for SEVEN websites now producing content for free. On top of my newest job where I'm payed to write, that's 9 websites. I got a wife and kid too. I'm a very busy man.

A fter every single week asking on Twitter for events to cover, I pushed hard on /r/smashbros for people to help out submitting events they'd like covered recently (seriously, free media presence on multiple websites for a few minutes time and it couldn't hit the front page). Every single week these very stories have asked for folks to submit the tournaments they think I should be covering in the future. I have a nice little form linked above I've spread all over the place to submit events. It takes less than a minute to pop me a message on Smashboards either with a link to the thread saying "hey can you cover this" too.

It's insulting after all that work maybe one person sends in an event every now and then and I have to grab the tournaments I know are going on from talking to friends to use because I'm incredibly busy working for free to help our community grow for upwards on 8 hours a day every day (while trying to work a real job too) that every single week someone comes in angry I didn't catch one event or another on these lists. The folks who throw around insults or act indignant when doing so just make it worse.

Now normally I'd be up for covering it, especially since it looks to be a good event but the article is up and spread on social media and my title with six tournaments to watch is set not to mention I have deadlines for tomorrow I'm not going to. Next time pop me a quick message and you'll find yourself on the top of the list (an honor I tend to reserve for the fine folks who send me events as a sign of thanks).
You did a bad job just admit it. I didn't even contact MIOM and they had all our info up on their website.

Who's streaming it?

twitch.tv/LSUSmash, all info for the event can be found on the MIOM whens melee page

BarDulL

Town Vampire
You did a bad job just admit it. I didn't even contact MIOM and they had all our info up on their website.

twitch.tv/LSUSmash, all info for the event can be found on the MIOM whens melee page
lol, why don't you cut the guy some slack? he does good work for the community for free and he's not always going to catch EVERY event. he also literally just told you he'd put your event up next time if you send him a message. there's benefit for both parties if you (informative party) ensure that the content writer has content to write about.

also, good luck getting him to feature your events with the rate you're going at

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I'm not going to cut him some slack, have you ever heard of a regional in Louisiana? This is a big deal and we could potentially have gained hundreds of viewers from this.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm not going to cut him some slack, have you ever heard of a regional in Louisiana? This is a big deal and we could potentially have gained hundreds of viewers from this.
it's your fault for not ensuring that he featured it in his article. you didn't send him a message in private, did you? nor did you get the event more publicity, from the sounds of things (even i didn't know about it and i'm frequently in the know for big tournaments).

learn from this experience and give him a nudge before the article gets released next time. (this article is released every week IIRC). maybe if you ask a bit more nicely he'll edit in the event into the article. right now you're just lookin' like a butt head and i know if i was the content writer, i wouldn't be very enthused to help you out with the way you were acting

Last edited:

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
"Could you please add The People's Tournament II? We have 80 people pre-registered and a lot of big names confirmed" he did ask nicely rofl. zzzz next please

BarDulL

Town Vampire
"Could you please add The People's Tournament II? We have 80 people pre-registered and a lot of big names confirmed" he did ask nicely rofl. zzzz next please
i love how you left out the part "Honestly it's kind of insulting that you guys don't have us up here." like, was that comment really necessary?

next please.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
i love how you left out the part "Honestly it's kind of insulting that you guys don't have us up here." like, was that comment really necessary?

next please.
wouldn't you be insulted if you hosted a regional in your state that has almost NEVER had a regional. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BarDulL

Town Vampire
wouldn't you be insulted if you hosted a regional in your state that has almost NEVER had a regional. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
it'd be MY FAULT for not going out of my way to ensure that content producers like smashcapps got that kind of information. simply ASSUMING that a Louisiana regional with 80~ people (which, lets be honest, is not the most popular state in terms of smash events, absolutely no offense to the cool people of LA) is going to get featured in an article like this in an era where socal has 250+ man locals is a bit foolish (even then, socal TOs do what they can to publicize their event as well).

if you want your tournament to be big, you have to go out of your way to make sure your event gets as much publicity as possible. simply assuming that content producers are going to cover your events is a bit arrogant.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Sigh... It would have been nice if this didn't have to devolve into this nonsense. But I guess we're down the rabbit hole... Spoilers again to condense things and attempt to keep this cleaned up.

MIOM does good work and I know the folks there are busy themselves at times too, but I just told you I'm incredibly busy and just don't have the time to know about every single tournament nor look through every single thread and regional facebook group to discover them all.

Well considering a single message that would have taken you a minute tops to send could have done the same... One message is all it takes to be featured on MULTIPLE websites (like, at least 5 depending on what games you have at an event). Without that message it's up in the air. If I haven't heard a bunch of folks talking about an event I'm not going to always catch it. If you wanted those viewers SO badly, you could have taken a quick moment and guaranteed it happened. You're asking for a lot of something for a whole lot of nothing. So many people take for granted things and expect it all to just happen for them but it's just not that easy for the folks writing.You know what they say about assuming, so don't assume someone has to or will write about your event.

Now as this is supposed to be something to talk about events on the weekend and such, I'd love to get things on track. If people wanna discuss this further please take it to PMs or elsewhere. I'll be bugging a moderator to keep an eye here so things don't go further off topic or get out of hand.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
"We help fans satisfy that craving for Smash content by sifting through the tournaments and streams planned for each weekend and coming up with the best to tune into.

Now as this is supposed to be something to talk about events on the weekend and such, I'd love to get things on track."

Yea get it on track and put the tournament on there, this is about more than you and me. You did a ****ty job so make up for it, as a content creator it's your job to seek out tournaments and this is a big one. I'm done posting here.

4nonymous

Banned via Warnings
Is nobody hype about the dodgeball?
It would be cool if the dodgeball winners got a pot bonus or an actual cash prize! MIOM Top 100 Dodgeball Players Kreygasm

regarding the comments:

''cut me some slack even though my only job was to inform people about upcoming tournaments throughout the weekend''

This is what you're supposed to do as a news writer here. Please don't do this again. ILY Smashcapps. :007:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Well...

Ya know, I COULD go back to the days where sometimes we only covered maybe one tournament a week. Or the time when tournaments were not always covered at all every week.

''cut me some slack even though my only job was to inform people about upcoming tournaments throughout the weekend''
This is not a job, I am not payed, I volunteer here and in many other places. I do not have to write these every week. No one here does. I could choose to only cover three events every week, or just the biggest. Every time a tournament goes on the front page here or anywhere else is something extra and special. I do not understand why people feel entitled to coverage.

Folks never got angry when things were different and their tournaments did not get featured. I don't know if it's because I've raised the standard a bit now that this is happening, but it bothers me that folks don't realize none of this NEEDS to happen ever, it's something that folks are LUCKY is happening.

There's a lot of ways to help me make that process better and help folks get even more exposure. People should be happy it's there and use it. Don't take things for granted.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
What some people don't realize is that everything that the smash community is today has been a culmination of community effort. Volunteers trying to make the series as well as the competitive scene bigger; volunteers fostering Smash competition as well as what it stands for. That being said, no single person is responsible for this collective union of individuals under the roof of Smash.

Smashcapps is just one man, and he isn't always going to be perfect. He isn't a robot. However, it's undeniable as a volunteer content producer that Smashcapps does a lot of good for the community. The fact that some of you are telling him that he is doing it wrong in a rather abrasive manner simply boggles my mind; it's as if some of you don't have respect for someone who is producing GOOD articles for the community FOR FREE. Like, WOW. Come on, guys.

The point I'm trying to make is that this is a team effort. Yeah, Smashcapps missed the event, but the TO has just as much of an incentive, if not more so, to do their part and inform Smashcapps (who is, again, not paid to do ANY of this) to ensure that their event is covered on Smashboards. If the TO does their part, both parties (and the smash scene as a whole) will benefit from it.

So the next time a tournament isn't being covered in an article, or an important smash event hasn't been covered, or whatever, just send him a PM in a preferably cordial manner regarding adjustments he can make. If the contribution is of merit, I guarantee he will make those adjustments.

Last edited:

derdian

Smash Cadet
There's no point in responding to this guy anymore, he obviously doesn't care if people watch his tournament or not, he's just trying to start fights.

Top Bottom