• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash - DISCONFIRMED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Wach out for NES n00b Tony. He only likes hearing what he wants to hear. And resorts to bullying if you disagree with him.

Just smile knowing you've won. :)
LOL, I have finally become a troll.

First time everz yeah. Seriously, people should learn the advance tech uses before they start spouting honor and calling us "bawling for wavedashing." "bawling" as in crying for some videogame technique is not offensive in the lest no. You are right. He is on the higher moral ground because he agrees with your biased views on tourney people. :)

I found out that no one really listens to reason. It has only worked like what? three times out of the 9001 times I tried. Pfft, it is much better to have fun this late in the game.

OATH

Smash Apprentice
um..it just looked like he airdoged and was moving down with the level change..

vinternet

Smash Cadet
Just gonna throw this out there: Why are people at ALL upset that wavedashing might be removed?

I mean, sure, within the context of Melee, you CAN wavedash, so wavedashing is a fun and useful tactic.
But seriously, wavedashing, when you think about it, makes no sense. It's there because the team programmed in good physics in Melee to react well when your character received an unrealistic, unnatural boost in momentum that shot them into the ground (air dodging). It wasn't put in with the intention of people repeatedly pressing the same five-button combo into their controllers over and over in order to jump and slide across stages. You're supposed to run, and jump. Dodging is there to DODGE. It's not like wavedashing ruined Melee at all, im not saying that, but do you seriously think any programmer of Melee OR Brawl sat in a design meeting and said 'We should make left-and-right movement a multi-button, zig-zagging, hard to follow process. That will make our game better."

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
but do you seriously think any programmer of Melee OR Brawl sat in a design meeting and said 'We should make left-and-right movement a multi-button, zig-zagging, hard to follow process. That will make our game better."

Yes

and its not that complicated all your doing is landing on the ground with an air dodge it gives u better traction to the ground and if u do it fast enough after a jump you wont even leave the ground, voila the "wavedash" is born

Maben

Smash Journeyman
give him time...

The 5 Stages of Grief:
  1. Denial
  2. Anger
  3. Bargaining
  4. Depression
  5. Acceptance

All I know is I'm on #4
And right now, out there, they are all denying the fact that they're sad. And that's hard. And it's making them all angry. And it is my job to try to get them all the way through to acceptance. And if not acceptance, then just depression. If I can get them depressed then I'll have done my job.

(Thursdays on NBC at 9...tune in to enhance you life)

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Don't be rushing things and rubbing that wavedashes are removed to those horrible wavedashers.

We will know definitely at E 4 All. It might be gone because I have seen these perculiar air dodges, but we will have to see where it goes. Cross fingers for deep mechanics people!!!

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Don't be rushing things and rubbing that wavedashes are removed to those horrible wavedashers.

We will know definitely at E 4 All. It might be gone because I have seen these perculiar air dodges, but we will have to see where it goes. Cross fingers for deep mechanics people!!!
i wish i could offer up more in the way of analysis and speculation, but that's not my forte.

all i can say is, i really, really trust this dev team. i think they really know what's up and are trying to make the best smash they can.

i highly doubt we'll be disappointed about the depth of the game. after 2 great successes, to just completely drop the ball? i don't see it happening.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Wavedashing isnt gone

**** why does it have to be gone

Wavedashing may be gone but theryre must be some other technique like it

Im so sad i dont even know if i wanna play this game

OK so wd isnt in brawl thats fine it will still be a good game, but then again theres no wd =(

Maybe sakuri will somehow be able to put it back in

This just pisses me off how wd could be left out

I doubt that wavedashing even is gone

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Denial
Denying the fact that Gimpyfish is going to be posting an update pertaining information on wavedashing in two days that will prove/disprove whatever is posted.

Anger
Anger about the fact that I am Gimpyfish, and you are not.

Bargaining
Maybe if I do X Gimpyfish will like me and/or will get Brawl information up sooner and/or play a character other than Bowser at E for All.

Depression
Unfortunately I realize Gimpyfish will only be using Bowser at E for All, and this makes me sad because I wanted to know all about X non-bowser character.

Acceptance
I accept that Gimpyfish is awesome and will give us all the information we wanted and more on thursday directly from E for All.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Can bowser even wd? i dunno ive never used him

and ur bowser info will help like 5 other bowser users across the us

Mama

Smash Ace
Can bowser even wd? i dunno ive never used him

and ur bowser info will help like 5 other bowser users across the us
Any character can wavedash...

Wave dashing will probably be obsolete in Brawl anyway, what with all the possible solutions to spacing and changed up game mechanics. I think if people realized this they wouldn't feel compelled to make a thread just to see peoples reactions.

You think Wave dashing is out? You don't need to make a thread about it. You think its in? You still don't need to make a thread about it. I'm sure we can all wait till Thursday to find out things.

Darqion

Smash Cadet
I think its funny then when the Wavedashing people defend wavedashing they say "Its not like its THE move... it wont make me insta win... its not even that important "

But the second it might be gone in brawl they feel their main super technique is gone. Maybe brawl will be about fighting again, not about mastering the controller

shanus

Smash Hero
Denial
Denying the fact that Gimpyfish is going to be posting an update pertaining information on wavedashing in two days that will prove/disprove whatever is posted.

Anger
Anger about the fact that I am Gimpyfish, and you are not.

Bargaining
Maybe if I do X Gimpyfish will like me and/or will get Brawl information up sooner and/or play a character other than Bowser at E for All.

Depression
Unfortunately I realize Gimpyfish will only be using Bowser at E for All, and this makes me sad because I wanted to know all about X non-bowser character.

Acceptance
I accept that Gimpyfish is awesome and will give us all the information we wanted and more on thursday directly from E for All.

5 stages of gimpygrief = win

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
There is proof in the simple fact that every air attack that is landed in every video we've seen has the same lag as an L-Cancelled version of it from Melee. We can see this clearly. There'd be no POINT in L-Cancelling the vast majority of air attacks because the land lag is virtually non-existant now anyway. I've done frame-by-frame analysis on every video now, and every air attack has the same or even less lag on landing than the same move did on Melee (for moves that were in both), and none of the new air attacks (that aren't B moves) have any noticable recovery time at all.

If L-Cancelling still does something, its not going to be anywhere near as necessary to use because the lag time is so low anyway it would be pointless to bother pressing the button for it in all but the laggiest of air attacks (like Link's DAir or some of Bowser's moves). All the normal-speed air attacks have practically no recovery lag at all. For example, look at the times Mario lands during his UAir (while he is still upside down even) and notice that he's instantly on his feet. If you are familiar with Mario at all, you'd know that recovery is L-Cancelled speed, but this is being seen by level 3 CPU's and reporters that don't seem to even know how to block.
There's a video of Link doing the Sword Plant, and it has at least twice as much recovery time as an L-canceled Sword Plant in Melee. It looks about the same as a NON-L-canceled one, actually. If L-canceling really is gone, it's going to be really bad news for characters like Link and Bowser with slow aerials (who were never exactly at the top of the tier list to begin with).

That GIF of Mario landing his bair in the game mechanics thread showed him having decent lag too. Maybe instead of removing lag for all attacks, they just took the ones that had near-negligible lag with L-canceling and took it off of THOSE, but left lag in for attacks that were balanced around their slower recoveries. L-canceling could still be in under those circumstances, it would just only be necessary for certain slower moves instead of every single aerial attack. It wouldn't be that weird...I remember back when I was a noob, I L-canceled all my Sword Plants even though I didn't bother doing it for my other attacks.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
You know the thing that bothers me the most about advanced techs?

Why does it have to be advanced techs? Why do we have to learn crazy controller inputs like Tekken or Street Fighter?

Why can't it all be about advanced strategies? Generally speaking, that which separates the good from the suck is usually found in the mind, not in the body.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
i dont mind if they take stuff out like that.we still have our combos by normal play and anyway noobs will be playing chars like bowser and dk becuase the seems awsome in the games from the franchise.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
You know the thing that bothers me the most about advanced techs?

Why does it have to be advanced techs? Why do we have to learn crazy controller inputs like Tekken or Street Fighter?

Why can't it all be about advanced strategies? Generally speaking, that which separates the good from the suck is usually found in the mind, not in the body.
Because advanced techniques generally open up more options to use in advanced strategies/mindgames.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I've already made my peace with WDing being gone, so I have no idea why you picked me to unload your little rant on. But I do still want depth in a game and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I want more depth than just knowing what move to use when because even the simplest of fighters has that and a game like Brawl needs something else to set it (as well as the average and the dedicated players) apart.

And it's not like I want to be better than everyone. There's no fun in being the best. I do want there to be things that set the good and the bad apart, but it's not like I want the "pathetic noobs" to never reach my level. That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. The way I see it now, it seems like Brawl is trying to make everything very simple, and a simple game, while it may be fun for a while, will not last long simply because there is not enough to explore for someone who wants more out of it.

I want to pick up Brawl, suck with it, then get good with the basics, then get good with advanced techniques and then work on perfecting them and incorporating them into my game. What I'm afraid will happen is I'll pick it up, suck at the start, then get used to the basics, and then the game will have nothing else after that.

Didn't mean to pick on you per se, your post just stood out to me at the time. I'm just sick of everybody obsessing over worrying if wavedashing will be in, to the point that they don't even seem to care about anything else about the game.

And I'm not in any "stage". I'm not a wavedasher in the first place, but like I said, I'm just not convinced once and for all that it's gone.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Because advanced techniques generally open up more options to use in advanced strategies/mindgames.
Five-button combos like in Tekken and Street Fighter would open up more options and add more strategy too. Every character could have dozens or hundreds of additional moves. I'm sure a lot of people would even LIKE if that happened. But that's not what this series is about. Smash is all about SEPARATING itself from other fighting games, with its emphasis on its simplistic controls.

Taking wavedashing exactly as it had been in Melee and putting it into Brawl would have been an irreconcilable decision for the developers. It would have prevented them from even being able to try to make the game balanced at all levels of play, because it affected some characters so drastically. When you balance Luigi against Fox in Brawl, do you count wavedashing as an advantage? Then he's still useless to everyone who doesn't wavedash, because the ones who designed him assumed the player would have this advantage when they assigned power to his attacks. Do you ignore wavedashing and just power up his other moves? Then he's overpowered when wavedashing is reintroduced into the system. It was a huge problem for the developers.

Granted, outright removing it wasn't the only possible choice available to them. But serious changes were bound to happen one way or another.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
If WDing really is gone, then I'm not going to be angry because I can't use it, but because the developers removed something that they had no real reason to remove. It's not like it was some huge game breaking glitch that could ruin the game for casual players. And even without WDing pros will still destroy casual players, so it's not like they're making tournaments accessible to everyone. Removing advanced tactics in a game like Brawl just seems like a giant undeserved punch to balls of everyone in the competitive scene.

Even with WDing gone, there is still plenty of hope left for advanced play. It would be impossible for a handful of developers to find and fix every exploit/glitch in the game. There should be a half a dozen advanced tactics discovered by February 10.

takieddine

Smash Master
Five-button combos like in Tekken and Street Fighter would open up more options and add more strategy too. Every character could have dozens or hundreds of additional moves. I'm sure a lot of people would even LIKE if that happened. But that's not what this series is about. Smash is all about SEPARATING itself from other fighting games, with its emphasis on its simplistic controls.

Taking wavedashing exactly as it had been in Melee and putting it into Brawl would have been an irreconcilable decision for the developers. It would have prevented them from even being able to try to make the game balanced at all levels of play, because it affected some characters so drastically. When you balance Luigi against Fox in Brawl, do you count wavedashing as an advantage? Then he's still useless to everyone who doesn't wavedash, because the ones who designed him assumed the player would have this advantage when they assigned power to his attacks. Do you ignore wavedashing and just power up his other moves? Then he's overpowered when wavedashing is reintroduced into the system. It was a huge problem for the developers.

Granted, outright removing it wasn't the only possible choice available to them. But serious changes were bound to happen one way or another.
nublet luigi isnt better than fox because of his WD if that's what you're saying.

They could balance the game with WD's in the equation.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
is disconfirmed actually a word?
It actually is. It's used in the scientific/mathetical field a lot when talking about theories. Funny thing is, Deconfirmed isn't, so I went back and changed it all to disconfirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom