• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WATASHI WA SHINEN! SHINENZUUU!: A Black Shadow Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon’s greatest foe (outside from The Man Behind The Man Deathborn) has arrived! When people think about a 2nd F-Zero character, they tend to think of Samurai Goroh first, being that he was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, and has been in the F-Zero series as long as Falcon himself, claiming to be Falcon’s rival. However, there is only one choice that makes the most sense: Black Shadow.
I am not against Goroh though. This is just a Black Shadow support thread.

Overview

Black Shadow is arguably the most popular character in the F-Zero series after Captain Falcon himself. He has a huge following in Japan, mostly attributed to the fact that he is the main villain in the F-Zero anime and was voiced by the famous seiyuu (Japanese voice actor) Norio Wakamoto (Japan eats up anyone voiced by Emperor Wakamoto). I do not have a source, but I remember an interview where Wakamoto stated that he would be willing to voice Black Shadow again if he was in Super Smash Bros., possibly raising his support (most wanted F-Zero character in Japan by far).
While he doesn’t have that luxury of having a famous voice actor nor a major villain role in an anime (since F-Zero GP Legend was cancelled after only around 15 episodes in the dub) in America, he is arguably the most well-known F-Zero character after Falcon himself, even by those who don’t know about F-Zero, due to being the guy that got Falcon Punched in the memetic video.
Many people look at Black Shadow as a way to pass down Ganondorf’s moveset to someone while he gets a new one. While this is a rather reasonable outcome, it isn't the only possible one. From the anime, Black Shadow has numerous powers that would allow both he AND Ganondorf to not be semi-clones of Captain Falcon, namely the ability to fly, teleport, telepathic powers (mind control, memory wipes, and nerve attacks), black magic rituals and shadow manipulation on top of physical strength and durability. In the games, he is not without power as well, and is one of the few to actually show supernatural ability within the games themselves (not even Captain Falcon does), by creating dark clones of characters out of thin air and creating energy chains to bind people, as well as a few telekinetic abilities.
Whereas Sakurai had to pull a few things out of thin air for Captain Falcon, and would likely have to do so with Samurai Goroh as well, Black Shadow has the potential already with what the anime and the games have given us. It would also compete with Captain Falcon’s “superhero” vibe by produced a “supervillain” vibe. But again, Black Shadow inheriting the old style of Ganondorf is also acceptable.
It is for these reasons that Black Shadow is not only the best choice in a F-Zero Newcomer, but arguably the most likely. So let’s give ol’ Batman On Steroids some support now!

Update: With the number of potential characters dropping like flies and Samurai Goroh once again being an Assist Trophy just like in Brawl, Black Shadow is going strong as the unopposed running candidate for the F-Zero franchise!
That being said, it should be noted that just because he's the remaining choice for an F-Zero Newcomer doesn't mean he's guaranteed as a Newcomer for Smash in general. At any given moment, Black Shadow could be disconfirmed, so let's not jump the gun just yet...after all, he was the sole choice for an F-Zero Newcomer in Brawl when Goroh was revealed as an Assist and look how that turned out...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf should just let Black Shadow take his old moveset.

Anyway, I see Black Shadow offering very strong physical attacks, while being very sluggish in movement. And like Captain Falcon, he'd lack any projectile attacks.

Simply put, I'm game if he enters the fray.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As long as he demonstrates some powerful darkness moves, like the black hole from the F-Zero anime.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, I see Black Shadow offering very strong physical attacks, while being very sluggish in movement. And like Captain Falcon, he'd lack any projectile attacks.

Simply put, I'm game if he enters the fray.

As I said in the Goroh thread, I hate that thought process... -_-
Both Ganon and BS have the makings to be unique. And why would anyone want to keep such a horrible moveset?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Apparently, this guy is really popular in Japan because of his anime voice actor.

Not that I'm condoning using Japanese support as a reason for his inclusion, but it's something. Maybe he'd receive the same actor in SSB4.

D

Deleted member

You probably should use Japanese support, as that's what gives characters the biggest push.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't deny that, but thus far, we haven't seen any solid evidence for characters' popularity abroad except for the findings of a few users on a select few boards.

Once we get a poll, we'll be able to pinpoint Japanese popularity much more accurately.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I dislike this idea of passing down a cloned moveset from a veteran character and shoving it down the throat of another newcomer.

People like Ganondorf because he's Ganondorf, not because of his moves and giving his moves over to Black Shadow in favor of him getting a more original moveset isn't immidiately going to convert the Ganondorf fans to Black Shadow (except for those that dedicate themself to his moveset I suppose, but not his fans)

Either Ganondorf gets his sword that he actually uses. Either he stay's a clone. Or either he gets replaced by another Zelda villain who actually isn't afraid to use his sword (Ghirahim or Demise etc) Or either Ganondorf just leaves with no replacements at all...

If that's the reason why people want black shadow in smash then I wont support him because even though I know very little about this guy or played the F-Zero series much if at all. Even I believe this guy deserves better.

Sorry for the little rant, anyway. He looks like a cool enough guy. And like I said, I haven't played the F-Zero series much (found the SNES and GBA ones too difficult). I'll still be happy to see another rep of this series.

Haxeye

Smash Cadet
Black Shadow should be in the style of Melee Ganondorf but neither should have to have that clone moveset.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As I said in the Goroh thread, I hate that thought process... -_-
Both Ganon and BS have the makings to be unique. And why would anyone want to keep such a horrible moveset?
I guess it would just be for a sense of humor. But you do need to keep in mind that Smash 4's physics may not be the same as Brawl's.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Wow, it took me until now to actually get the thread title. Derp. XD

As for Black Shadow, does he have anything from the anime he can borrow from in terms of moveset potential? If not, then Nintendo will probably have to "freestyle" his moveset the way they did with Falcon's. I mean, I could imagine him using those bull horns of his, but I don't know if it will make him look too silly.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
To be frank black shadow is low on my list of fzero reps(goro,stewart,pico,summers,shadow)

And i cant imagine him in ssb the way he is. But i can imagine him getting a serious rehaul like ditch the leotard and change the mask but of course keep his important features(abnormaly large horns and boots)
And make his personality more interesting like memetically hammy or somethin.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

@Sol
From the anime, Black Shadow has numerous powers that would allow both he AND Ganondorf to not be semi-clones of Captain Falcon, namely the ability to fly, teleport, telepathic powers (mind control, memory wipes, and nerve attacks), black magic rituals and shadow manipulation on top of physical strength and durability. In the games, he is not without power as well, and is one of the few to actually show supernatural ability within the games themselves (not even Captain Falcon does), by creating dark clones of characters out of thin air and creating energy chains to bind people, as well as a few telekinetic abilities.
Whereas Sakurai had to pull a few things out of thin air for Captain Falcon, and would likely have to do so with Samurai Goroh as well, Black Shadow has the potential already with what the anime and the games have given us.

I already addressed what he is capable of.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Indigo was kind of a bad color to use.
Maybe Dark Slate Blue will be better...

Jakor

Smash Ace
I want both Black Shadow and Samurai Goroh to become playable in Smash 4. I would like Black Shadow to get an original moveset, but I wouldn't mind if he got Ganondorf's old moveset. I want Ganondorf to have a new moveset, but if Sakurai wants to keep it for whatever reason, then to transfer it to him could be a viable solution.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I want both Black Shadow and Samurai Goroh to become playable in Smash 4. I would like Black Shadow to get an original moveset, but I wouldn't mind if he got Ganondorf's old moveset. I want Ganondorf to have a new moveset, but if Sakurai wants to keep it for whatever reason, then to transfer it to him could be a viable solution.
I don't see why they can't both be in. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened in Smash.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Yessz, I have been waiting for this thread and am a huge supporter for Black Shadow. I agree that Black Shadow is the best choice since he is the main villain and F-zero needs another character from the franchise.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ugh.

No thanks, I don't want a non-canon anime inspired moveset for Black Shadow.. His abilities and personality in the anime just sounds much too similar to M.Bison (same voice actor too? lol), and as much as I like both, I want a completely unique moveset for him.

How about they refer to his vehicle for his moveset, ala Fox? If an F-Zero rep is going to get in, it'd be criminal NOT to look at the games for inspiration imo. (Yes, including Samurai Goroh.) After all, F-Zero has a diverse roster in which every pilot/vehicle control and function very differently, so it wouldn't be too hard to look at the unique aspects of Black Bull and take it to Black Shadow.

D

Deleted member

And yet we have Captain Falcon with a random moveset inspired by Kamen Rider.
At least Black Shadow HAS SOMETHING to use. (Especially given that he has shown powers within the game series as well.)
Also, F-Zero GX had a pair of games, including one that took place after the anime itself (where Rick Wheeler is Captain Falcon and Black Shadow survived the "Universe Destroying Falcon Punch").

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
CPT FALCON ACTUALLY USED THE FALCON PUNCH IN THE ANIME!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i never saw it so i wouldn't know..

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Ugh.

No thanks, I don't want a non-canon anime inspired moveset for Black Shadow.. His abilities and personality in the anime just sounds much too similar to M.Bison (same voice actor too? lol), and as much as I like both, I want a completely unique moveset for him.

How about they refer to his vehicle for his moveset, ala Fox? If an F-Zero rep is going to get in, it'd be criminal NOT to look at the games for inspiration imo. (Yes, including Samurai Goroh.) After all, F-Zero has a diverse roster in which every pilot/vehicle control and function very differently, so it wouldn't be too hard to look at the unique aspects of Black Bull and take it to Black Shadow.
What do you mean by refer to their vehicle for a moveset? how would their vehicle help create a moveset except for maybe a Final Smash?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
And yet we have Captain Falcon with a random moveset inspired by Kamen Rider.
What? Where did you get that from?
I feel like C.Falcon actually has a moveset inspired by an F-Zero vehicle, even if it's just slightly.
At least Black Shadow HAS SOMETHING to use. (Especially given that he has shown powers within the game series as well.)
Look, don't get me wrong. I don't mind if they use any of his abilities from the anime, since I actually like it. But, I don't want his core moveset to be based entirely on the anime, since I don't want to use M.Bison.

Also, F-Zero GX had a pair of games, including one that took place after the anime itself (where Rick Wheeler is Captain Falcon and Black Shadow survived the "Universe Destroying Falcon Punch").
Like I said, I don't mind the anime one bit. However, I want his moveset to be more inspired by the mainline games, and more importantly Black Bull.

What do you mean by refer to their vehicle for a moveset? how would their vehicle help create a moveset except for maybe a Final Smash?
You're missing the point. It's not using the vehicle in the moveset, it's using the vehicle's aspects and translate it into Black Shadow himself. Just like how they translated the Arwing into Fox and Falco.

I can see it being this way: Black Shadow is brute with a defense to be reckoned with. Black Bull is a very sturdy machine that can withstand a lot of hits, and actually deals a lot of damage itself, and since it's also one of the heaviest machines Black Shadow should be a heavy character.
He is slow, however. Yes, Black Bull is indeed one of the fastest machine in the game, but it's better for him to be slow due to balancing issue, and that could reference the machine's lackluster boost. (I say his moves should be fast to make up for that.) But they could give him certaion mobility options, which is where anime is gonna come from here. They can give him the ability to teleport and even flight. Because of that an adept player should be able to utilize Black Shadow's strengths and weakness, making him more of a technical character just like how Black Bull is one of the hardest vehicles to use in the series.
As for his moves. Now first of all, make him an absolute brute. Strong, fast attacks, like that of an actual bull, but with bad start-up. (Referencing to Black Bull being a fast and powerful machine with a horrible acceleration.) And give him a spinning attack referencing to the one in the games, which makes perfect sense for him because Black Bull is one of the best machines to utilize that move.
If they could do that, then the next step is to use the anime for inspiration. Like I mentioned before, teleportation and flight are moves he could use.

He could be a heavyweight, strong character that uses his mobility options to get in. Like Falcon, he's a rushdown character, but instead that Black Shadow is a more of a character for patient players. (Again, just like Black Bull!) He should have some good poking moves (Black Bull IS long) and footsies, and once he gets in he is there to rip you apart.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
That /\ is genius.... but I'd say the mad wolf is the hardest to drive that thing sucks!!

D

Deleted member

What? Where did you get that from?
I feel like C.Falcon actually has a moveset inspired by an F-Zero vehicle, even if it's just slightly.
It's not. Seriously, look up Kamen Rider and their abilities. Specifically the Rider Punch and Rider Kick.
It's clear that Captain Falcon was given a moveset based on a Kamen Rider.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't see why they can't both be in. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened in Smash.
Better than two Mario newcomers.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
But why would you get rid of Ganondorf's moveset? People like it, you know. Don't want to alienate them. So that's why you give the sword to Black Shadow.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
But why would you get rid of Ganondorf's moveset? People like it, you know. Don't want to alienate them. So that's why you give the sword to Black Shadow.
I never said get rid of his moveset, infact I'm very against it. Maybe just replace a move? It still makes more sense than giving Black Shadow a sword. It would be like saying give Marth a GUN

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I never said get rid of his moveset, infact I'm very against it. Maybe just replace a move? It still makes more sense than giving Black Shadow a sword. It would be like saying give Marth a GUN

Your turn, player two.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
i would like to see black shadow as more of a character with similar movement to falcon (jump speed, air/ground movement ratio, but a little slower) with a moveset more oriented towards weak pokes that lead into strong attacks.

like how ganon had his jab, more moves like that.

this would make him a really gun character to play,

to balance him they could easily just make him have bad spacing or something.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just something that I wanted to input for Black Shadow...

Black Shadow's Stats
Offensive Strength: 9/10
Defensive Strength: 7/10
Ground Speed: 2/10
Running Speed: 2/10
Jump Height: 4/10
Mid-air Jump Height: 4/10
Air Speed: 3/10
Falling Speed: 8/10
Recovery: 4/10
Weight: 22/26 (based on my weight scale from here)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I would love to see Black Shadow in a Smash Bros. game, either with a brand new moveset or Ganondorf's old one(or some combination of the 2), though I'd prefer a new one. SSB desperately needs more villain characters, and Black Shadow is definitely the most well-known F-zero villain.

Also, I seriously hope they keep Wakamoto as his VA - that man is amazing. Being voiced by Wakamoto would be more than enough reason to have him in the game.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Went back and actually read the first post. It deeply moved me.
At first I only saw him as a character to Pass Ganon's attacks onto. But now I see Black Shadow's monumental potential.
Yes he would be more suited to Mewtwo's moveset. XD
Nah but seriously I'd love to have this guy gliding around and brainwashing characters.
Man I had a whole bunch of ideas of him going all "Shadow Kick!" "Shadow Punch!" but now I just don't know. Ima go watch the anime and return.

D

Deleted member

^Excellent!
This kind of reaction is what this thread was made for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom