• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Captain Falcon - Matchup Discussion and Analysis

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
This is a poor matchup for us. Falcon's fast and he outranges us. We're marginally faster in attack speed, but not by enough to matter much and our endlag is consistently worse so we poke less reliably too.

Falcon is good at juggling us with Uair and Fair forms a 50/50 that ends in our demise. He also has a natural 50/50 in dash attack and dash grab to put us in the air, deal damage and put us in poor situations to result in kills. His Bair is a safe kill option, and his specials act as read kills.

On the plus side, we tend to outplay him offstage as his recovery lacks disjoint and we can swipe him with fair. He also falls fast so we can combo him fairly reliably.

My thought is that we want him offstage where we can abuse his recovery and weaker aerials to try and deal damage and score kills. Counter Falcon's trying to style with falcon punch for the lulz.

J-Flair

Smash Cadet
NNID
jurgen2000
im a falcon main and i noticed that the nuteral is kinda even. both sides have to be really smart with there foxstrot cancels. and marth really needs to prevend getting grabbed. because if falcon gets one. the % will most likely get really high really fast. id say this MU is 60/40 in falcons favor and marth/lucina should ban either BF or duck hunt(dependent on the style of falcon)

DariusM27

Smash Ace
If falcon dashes in for a grab, dash attack, or shield to jab...
Try short hop airdodging past them, so you end up behind falcon. Then you can pressure with dancing blade, up b, bair, several other options.

The big benefit here is that falcon's jab will mess marth up, even if you spot dodge or shield falcon's approach correctly, and airdodge covers those options anyway.

Marth gets beat by dash attacks by pit, samus, and several other characters. Sh airdodge can land you the win if you have timing and element of surprise on your side.

In this match falcon dashes in while I airdodge, but the timing wasn't there so I used my 2nd jump into dair fastfall, which resulted in a spike, and against falcon at that percent can nearly land you a perfect combo into uair.

Later, falcon dashes in and I airdodged into nair1, which can string into upb quickly and reliably, or db, fsmash, ect, depending on the situation.

If you find your airdodge is wiffing or falcon is trying to read it to cover your landing, you can jump out of airdodge, use shieldbreaker to pressure approaches, use sh airdodge into fair which is optimal spacing, or various other adjustments to stay safe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bCj7xYN2Q_Y

Last edited:

Hydrogenize

Smash Rookie
I love this matchup so much. For Falcon we have our way with Marth, even more so with Lucina. Off of a down throw footstools are really easy and guaranteed straight out of a down throw if you're fast enough. However getting in is tricky because of the disjointed hitboxes and range but once we get in expect damage.

Kilo 1

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that D-tilt is an unsafe option for snuffing Falcon's approaches. If the timing is off, then the Marth will get hit or grabbed and be in a bad spot. It may be just me but if the two moves cancel each other out then the Falcon will still be able to try for a dash grab with relative safety. I find that SH tipper Fair is more rewarding against dash attack because Aerials don't "clank". However it's best to be quick about it because I've been grabbed right out of the air numerous times.

hmbtnguy

Smash Cadet
As a Falcon main, this used to be an easy matchup for me.

However, I've been having a lot of difficulty against Marth after the recent patch.

I was wonder what the general matchup consensus is now after the Marth buffs? Do you guys still have the same issues against Falcon?

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
As a Falcon main, this used to be an easy matchup for me.

However, I've been having a lot of difficulty against Marth after the recent patch.

I was wonder what the general matchup consensus is now after the Marth buffs? Do you guys still have the same issues against Falcon?
I don't believe that we do. Now that we outrange you we can wall easy enough. Our jab can stuff your dashgrab and lead into combos/kills and we have somewhat of a great juggle game on ya.

And then there's the offstage game. Marth owns Falcon offstage and can recover okay.

I'd say it's a 50/50. Falcon can still bait for lag and punish hard. Also Falcon true combos dthrow to knee on us at 60ish. Play defensive against Marth and you'll be fine. Our lag doesn't permit us to approach or be aggressive even though Marth is on the lower end of lag.

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
For this match up i find that marth has a bit of an advantage if you play it a specific way. its hard to space out falcon because he is so quick to get in, so out walls dont really work. i found that when i try to set up a wall against him he can just dash through it and get a grab, which leads to a combo, and pretty solid damage.
however if you avoid the grabs by staying in the air a lot with , it can really hurt the falcons ability to approach tremendously. I believe that FD is our best stage in this match up. How i use it is, trying to use full hops and fall back Fairs and Nairs to protect my landings. as long as you stay in the air falcon cannot grab you, and good luck to any falcon who is trying to out space marth in the air, in the air we have full advantage with priority and spacing. the only tools the falcon really has to do about it is to get under us and use upairs, or to try spacing a back air. As long as you dont go above one full hop height then he should not be able to get under you.
i find this to work for me with most falcons i see, i personally rek falcons on forglory with this strategy...but that is just "for glory", ive only had the opportunity to do a couple tournament matches against falcons, but it ended in my favor more often than not.

Top Bottom