• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thank you for supporting Simon Belmont: Castlevania's Original Vampire Hunting Hero!

Antagonist

Smash Rookie
Is there a list for the Simon supporters? If there is sign me up. Simon was the first character to come to mind when the vote first went up, he's the true newcomer we need. (Soma Cruz would suffice as well). We need to get this hype train going and show everyone Simon's potential. K. Rool is cool but come on, Simon could be 10x better!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Is there a list for the Simon supporters? If there is sign me up. Simon was the first character to come to mind when the vote first went up, he's the true newcomer we need. (Soma Cruz would suffice as well). We need to get this hype train going and show everyone Simon's potential. K. Rool is cool but come on, Simon could be 10x better!
Put me down for it as well. Not my favorite Belmont but hes damn perfect for Smash

D

Deleted member

Posting some images that i would recommend using for the OP

Also, a Castlevania Universe symbol for Smash:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I always thought that if Simon was going to be included, his alt costumes should be other Castlevania characters.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I always thought that if Simon was going to be included, his alt costumes should be other Castlevania characters.
Yes. I really want a Ritcher Belmont alt. He's the best Belmont

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like Simon to go the Little Mac route and have 16 alts... 8 alts of Simon, 8 alts of the others (like Koopalings).

D

Deleted member

I think Simon would have costumes based on his different designs:
1.Castlevania x68000.
2.Castlevania Chronicles.
3.Simon's Quest.
4.Super Castlevania 4.
5.Neca Figures.
6.Nes Simon.
7.Mirror of Fate.
8.Something else.

I would however, prefer if it was something like this:
or just go with his Castlevania X68000 design, which is my favorite:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Hey guys. Started looking for threads for characters I support and found this one.

Castlevania representation in Smash? Sign me up. I used to have no interest in the series when I heard people talking about the song Bloody Tears. One day the Entertainment System remix of the song popped up on my iTunes Radio and I have it a listen. I immediately loved it and the series went from one I never cared about to one I started playing and greatly enjoyed.

Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night are apparently the best ones, so since I've only played the original thanks to actually physically borrowing an NES from a friend, I want to get those for my Wii U and PS3 respectively.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys. Started looking for threads for characters I support and found this one.

Castlevania representation in Smash? Sign me up. I used to have no interest in the series when I heard people talking about the song Bloody Tears. One day the Entertainment System remix of the song popped up on my iTunes Radio and I have it a listen. I immediately loved it and the series went from one I never cared about to one I started playing and greatly enjoyed.

Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night are apparently the best ones, so since I've only played the original thanks to actually physically borrowing an NES from a friend, I want to get those for my Wii U and PS3 respectively.
Go play Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night, those are some of the best games in the series.

Super Castlevania 4 is the reason Simon Belmont is one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

And Symphony of the Night>Any Metroid game IMO
I would also recommend you to play Rondo of Blood and Aria of Sorrow.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the Double Posting.

@Lilfut, i would like to be the new Owner of this thread.

Here's my idea for the OP.
MEET THE VAMPIRE HUNTER OF CASTLEVANIA: SIMON BELMONT.

¿Who is Simon Belmont?
In case you don't know, Simon Belmont is the protagonist of the NES classic, Castlevania from Konami, Released in 1987. (1986 in Japan).

The cover of the first game of the series.

At the age of 22 in 1691, he would be given the opportunity to prove himself worthy of his family's legacy. On Easter Day, 100 years after he was defeated by Christopher Belmont, Count Dracula had returned. He was reawakened by a dark order of humans on Easter Day during a dark mass in an abandoned monastery.

Castlevania is known as an NES gem by many, known for it's amazing soundtrack, constant references to classic horror movies and literature and most notably, it's unforgiving difficulty.
Simon is notorious for beign one of the first well known heroes in video games to use a Whip, which is called the Vampire Killer. This weapon which has been passed for generations to every single member of the Belmont family. (notable members include Richter and Trevor)

Simon also appears in the sequel, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. In this Sequel after Dracula is defeated, Simon is inffected with a Curse that is going to Kill him,
and the only way to prevent this is to gather all of Dracula's parts, ressurrect him and defeat him once more to vanquish the curse.

The cover of Castlevania 2 (yes, the guy in the front with a whip is supposed to be Simon)

Castlevania 2 is known for it's rather noble inovations for the series due to beign a non-linear game and featuring the acclaimed song Bloody Tears, which would become a staple for the series.

¿Why Simon?
The Castlevania series is a well known franchise that has been loyal to Nintendo since the early 80's.

The list includes:

-Castlevania 1 (starring Simon Belmont) for the Nintendo Entretaiment System. (AKA the NES)
-Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (also Starring Simon) also for the NES.
-Castlevania: The adventure (Starring Christopher Belmont) for the Gameboy.
-Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (Starring Trevor Belmont) for NES.
-Super Castlevania 4 (Starring once again Simon) for Super Nintendo.
-Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Starring Christopher Belmont) for the Gameboy.
-Castlevania: Dracula X (starring Richter Belmont) for the Super Nintendo.
-Castlevania: Legends (starring Sonia Belmont) for the Game Boy.
-Castlevania "64" (starring Reinhardt Schneider) for the Nintendo 64.
-Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (starring Cornell) for the Nintendo 64.
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (starring Nathan Graves) for the Game Boy Advance.
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (starring Juste Belmont and featuring a playable cameo of Simon Belmont) for the Game Boy Advance.
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (starring Soma Cruz and featuring Julius Belmont as an extra playable character) for the Game Boy advance.
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (once again having Soma and Julius) for the Nintendo DS.
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (starring Jonathan Morris and Charlotte Aulin and also having Richter and Maria Renard as secret characters) for the Nintendo DS.
-Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (starring Shanoa) for the Nintendo DS.
-Castlevania: Judgement (featuring Simon and Trevor Belmont) for the Nintendo Wii.
-Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (starring Christopher) for the WiiWare.
-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow-Mirror of Fate (starring Trevor and Simon Belmont) for the 3DS.
-Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (Starring Richter and Maria) which was released for the Wii's Virtual Console.

The only Nintendo systems that don't feature a full-fleged Castlevania game are the Gameboy Color, Nintendo Gamecube, Wii U and Virtual Boy.

Out of all the protagonists that have been featured, the Belmonts are the most prominent, and out of those Belmonts, Simon is the most well known and appropiate for the spot of a Castlevania Character.

For instance, outside of Castlevania 1 and 2, Simon also appears in:

-Haunted Castle, a game where Simon has to save his Wife form Dracula.
-Super Castlevania 4: a retelling of the original story with new redone levels, music and Gameplay.
-Vampire Killer for the MSX, a more non-linear take on the Original Castlevania.
-Castlevania X68000 and it's PS1 Port, Castlevania Chronicles, another retelling of the Simon vs Dracula story.
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, in which Simon is a secret Playable character in the Boss Rush mode.
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, in which Simon has a minor cameo in the "Greatest Five" Dual Crush.
-Simon Belmont appears as a playable Character in Castlevania Judgement for the Wii.
-Simon appears in his playable 8-bit form in Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.
-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow-Mirror of Fate features a re-imagined Simon Belmont as a playable main character.

Super Castlevania 4, one of my favorite games in the series.

There' also a lot of Konami Crossovers in which Simon is the main and sole representative of the Castlevania Series:
-Konami Wai Wai World: Simon Belmont "III" is a playable character.
-In the Sequel Konami Wai Wai World 2: Simon Returns as one of the selectable characters.
-In the MSX2 Game Hai no Majutsushi, Simon is one of the opponents that you can face.
-Simon Belmont also appears in game DreamMix TV World Fighters alongside fellow Konami warrior Smash veteran, Solid Snake (also Optimus Prime was there too for some reason).
-Simon also appears in New International Track & Field for the Nintendo DS.

Simon even appears on the Cover!

As you can see, Simon Belmont has quite the impact and presence on the Castlevania series and to an extent Konami itself.

Simon Belmont also saw an appereance on the cartoon Captain N: The Game Master alongside Smash champions Pit and Mega Man.

Simon on Captain N (yes, the blonde guy with a blue jacket is Simon).

Simon Belmont, alongside the Castlevania series in general were heavily promoted during the run of the official Nintendo game magazine: Nintendo Power (It went as far as having Castlevania-themed cover art on some issues).

One of the many issues of Nintendo Power that feature a Castlevania game on the cover.

¿What does he offer with his moveset?
As already mentioned, Simon Wields the Vampire Killer, a whip which can turn into a chain whip, morning star and even a flamming whip.
There's really barely any whip wielders in smash aside from one, and that's Zero Suit Samus.
However, Comparing Simon to Zero Suit Samus is like comparing a Medieval Knight with a sword to a Samurai.

First up, Simon is a character who is normally seen as a muscular and tallframe character, so it's reasonable to think that Simon would be a heavyweight fighter who relies and Brute strenght and killing power rather than quick moves or acrobatics like Zero Suit Samus does.
Furthermore, he has a different set of Subweapons at his disposal that could be used in his moveset:

-Cross Boomerang: A Boomerang which lacks diagonal movement unlike Link's Boomerang.
-Dagger: A fast projectile weapon that can be used to keep opponents at a distance (it also has a Fire Variaton called the Golden Dagger).
-Axe: A weapon that is used to deal damage to airbone opponents.
-Holy Water: A weapon that if thrown to ground, it can be used to stun and damage opponents.
-Stop Watch: A weapon that allows Simon to STOP TIME.
-A Red Crystal that he can use to summon a tornado that can carry him to different places.
-A Laurel that he can use to make him invincible for a short amount of time.
-The Rib of Vlad that allows him to use a shield than can deflect projectiles.
-A Magic Rosary that can exterminate all enemies on screen.
-A Herb that Simon can use to heal himself.

Simon wielding the afromentioned Cross. (Ignore the sword, he never uses one in the Games, it's just there for decoration)

These weapons, alongside Simon's use of the Vampire Killer, can be used to make him an unique character from the rest of the crowd.

A heavyweight, long ranged, Warrior with both Melee and Projectile attacks at his disposal.

¿How would he look like?
Simon has taked many redesings over the years, but his most well know are 2:

-One of them is the "Conan the Barbarian" designs, such as his Neca Figures design, The Castlevania X68000 design, and his appeareance one the Castlevania 1 cover.(as seen above)
-His design from Castlevania Chronicles, designed by Castlevania art veteran Ayami Kojima.

If Pac-Man and Mega Man are any indication, Simon design in Smash would heavily rely on the Old-School and Nostalgia factor Simon has, so it makes sense for him to have his classic "Barbarian" motif.

Hovewer, i think the best way to implementate Simon's desing would be doing something similar to Roy. In other words, make a fusion between his Barbaric and Chronicles desgins and turn them into one.

Just because Simon has different desings doesn't mean he can't be in Smash. For instance, before Pac-Man's reveal, there were debates in which Pacman design would be used, (which were his Classic Pac-Land look or his controversial Ghostly Adventures counterpart) in the end the classic one was Choosen.

It's unlikely that Simon is going to use his Mirror of Fate or Judgement designs, since both of those games are not as remembered as the Original Castlevania games which were the ones that gave Simon the Reputation.

An example on how Simon's design can be handled.

¿Why not Alucard or Dracula?
Now i feel i should tackle this issue, since out of all the other Castlevania characters that are not Simon Belmont, Alucard is the most brought up.

Alucard first appeared in Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse, in which he was one of the optional playable characters that could join your quest.

But Alucard's most famous appereance is obviously Symphony of the Night, in which Alucard has Awaken to solve the mystery of Richter's dissapereance.

Alucard's design by Ayami Kojima on Symphony of the Night is the most well known appereance of the Son of Dracula.

Alucard has also appeared in Aria and Dawn of Sorrow (under the name Arikado) and in Castlevania Judgement as one the playable characters. Overall, he has become one of the most popular characters in Castlevania history.

Hovewer, my main issue with Alucard is that he is NOT a Belmont. As i mentioned earlier, the Belmonts are the most recurring characters in Castlevania franchise.

MY other problem with him is that his popularity mainly comes from Symphony of the Night, which while is one the most famous games in entire franchise, it is also one of the few that haven't seen a release in a Nintendo Console. (at the very least Solid Snake has his game Metal Gear Solid beign released on the Nintendo Gamecube as Metal Gear Solid: the Twin Snakes)

Alucard is to Castlevania what Zero is to Mega Man:
Both characters appeared first as a Side character and then went to have their own games. (Symphony of the Night and the Mega Man Zero series respectively) and while they may be popular, they are still secondary to the original protagonists, which are Simon (and other Belmonts) and Mega Man (and X).

As seen above in the ¿Why Simon? section, Simon has the most appereances of any Belmont in Castlevania games, and the fact that he's the original only further cements the idea of him beign the best choice for a Castlevania Character.

As For Dracula, i personally feel that putting an antagonist before the main hero is not the right choice.

Yes, Dracula is well known in general, but that's because Count Dracula is a pop culture character, and not every single incarnation in fictional media of the count is the same. It's like putting Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny because they are pop culture icons.

If we are gonna put Dracula as a playable character, it would be because of his own merits IN CASTLEVANIA, not because of the Bram Stoker novel or the movies by Universal.

¿What about Snake?
Ah yes, Solid Snake. Now im going to be blunt on this one and say that i personally think Simon has more associasion and history with Nintendo than Snake ever had before his appereance in Brawl.

HOVEWER, i think that Snake AND Simon Belmont should both join the Smash 4 roster, since Ryu showed that you can have more than 1 character in case you are 3rd party.
Both have their own merits, and i think Simon "replacing" Snake is a bad idea (just like Chrom "replacing" Ike).

¿What are his chances?
Very Low, because of 2 reasons:

1-Konami has been making horrible buisness practices lately, like cancelling Silent Hills and Fire Hideo Kojima. (heck, Snake is also affected by this)
2-The Castlevania Series has been in a long hiatus just like the Mega Man series, it hasen't seen a main release game for quite some time. (the most noteworthy thing the series has done so far is that one shameless pachinko machine)

Simon has also the issue of not beign exactly the most popular choice for a character.

But that's the same reason im writing this, because i want Simon Belmont fans to show their support for him and expand it further.

The K.Rool and Isaac fanbases did't get popular all of the sudden, they took effort and dedication to spread the word to the Smash community and make their voice heard.

Is not just about Simon making it in Smash, but also to prove that Simon has a fanbase that desires him for Smash.

He most likely will not make it, but i still want to show people the impact and legacy that Simon has. And maybe, just maybe, in the future, our dedication will pay off.

Moveset ideas:
-in progress-

Palutena's Guideance:
Pit: WHO IS THAT?
Alucard: It's Simon Belmont, member of the Belmont clan.
Pit: Wait, who are you?
Alucard: The name's Alucard, im an ally of the Belmonts ever since the fight against my fahter, Count Dracula alongside Trevor Belmont.
Pit: Talk about a shaky family relationship.
Alucard: Well that's about to be expected when your father wants to wipe out the entire human race.
Pit: Anyway, any strategies about this barbaric dude.
Alucard: Simon Belmont is a man who's armed to the teeth, his main tool is the Vampire Killer, a long-ranged Whip that is used for Melee combat, he also is equipped with Sub-Weapons like a Cross-Shaped Boomerang, Holy Water that can burn and an Axe.
Pit: So how i defeat him.
Alucard: Defeat him? But Belmont's power is supreme among Vampire Hunters, none other could defeat him.
Pit: What? Are you sure he doesn't have a weak point?
Alucard: Well, Simon is a horrible jumper, so you could knock him out of the stage by letting him not recover.
Pit:Ok, i suppose that can work.....here i come.

Boxing Ring title: "The Count's worst Nightmare"

Fanart and other stuff:
-In progress-

House of the Belmont Clan (supporter list):
Speedwagon
Arcadenik
KingBro1

Music:
This is not even the tip of the iceberg.

@Swampasaur, im sorry to ask, but do you know any way that i could take the responsibility of this thread?

Lilfut hasn't been here since June 17 of 2015, and i don't know if he is gonna respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
^I really like your OP idea.

Everything you said reaffirmed my belief that Simon Belmont should be playable in Smash.

D

Deleted member

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik , would you mind contacting of the mods to see if i can turn into the new owner of the thread please?

I understand if you don't want to.

I feel like my Op could help this thread.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik , would you mind contacting of the mods to see if i can turn into the new owner of the thread please?

I understand if you don't want to.

I feel like my Op could help this thread.
Allow me to help you with that. @Xivii or @Warchamp7, can you help make this fine gentleman the new thread owner for now?

And now to wait for the magic to happen.

D

Deleted member

Updating Supporter List:
Speedwagon
Azure Warrior
rdg121193
SuperLittleTY
Arcadenik
KingBro1
CaptainLucario
Robi-Wan
Spazzy_D
MewKwota

I support; Simon is my most wanted guest character. In terms of presentation, I think he should appear in Smash as he does in Ayami Kojima's art, which was remarkable. Alucard as an Assist Trophy and the Medusa Head as a baddie in Adventure or Smash Run.

As for Castlevania music... some suggestions.
  • Vampire Killer, with the famous jingle from the opening scene.
  • Bloody Tears, one of the most remixed pieces of gaming music, so a Smash attempt is necessary.
  • Aquarius
  • Simon Belmont's Theme
  • Battle of the Holy, from the Game Boy game
  • New Messiah, from the Game Boy sequel

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What, do I not exist? Done.
Thanks pal, I sort for forgotten you since you are much more common on the other side of these forums. On the bright side, at least I'm sending you to help out another friend of ours for a similar reason. ;)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I support; Simon is my most wanted guest character. In terms of presentation, I think he should appear in Smash as he does in Ayami Kojima's art, which was remarkable. Alucard as an Assist Trophy and the Medusa Head as a baddie in Adventure or Smash Run.

As for Castlevania music... some suggestions.
  • Vampire Killer, with the famous jingle from the opening scene.
  • Bloody Tears, one of the most remixed pieces of gaming music, so a Smash attempt is necessary.
  • Aquarius
  • Simon Belmont's Theme
  • Battle of the Holy, from the Game Boy game
  • New Messiah, from the Game Boy sequel
You're forgetting Beginning from Castlevania 3 and Bloodlines from Rondo of Blood. Those are the best songs man.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned Dracula's Castle from Symphony of the Night.

While we're at it, WANDERING GHOSTS PLEASE.

D

Deleted member

THE GREAT SPEEDWAGON HAS ACCOMPLISHED HIS GOAL.

I plan to update the OP with more stuff.

I hope you guys can help me out to spread the word.

In the meantime, have this video:

D

Deleted member

More updates to the OP coming soon!

Spread the word people! im going to need all the help i can!

D

Deleted member

It seems that Palutena has found her type of man, isn't it?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that Simon Belmont is the only third party character I desperately want in Smash. The situation with Konami is pretty bad and it doesn't help that Snake is a veteran... these two things, I feel, hurt Simon's chances. I really hope that Sakurai is a fan of the Castlevania series and he likes the idea of Simon in Smash... and I hope Sakurai would come to Konami and ask them for permission to include Simon and Castlevania in Smash... and I hope Konami doesn't force Sakurai to forget about Simon and add Snake instead.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I think that Simon Belmont is the only third party character I desperately want in Smash. The situation with Konami is pretty bad and it doesn't help that Snake is a veteran... these two things, I feel, hurt Simon's chances. I really hope that Sakurai is a fan of the Castlevania series and he likes the idea of Simon in Smash... and I hope Sakurai would come to Konami and ask them for permission to include Simon and Castlevania in Smash... and I hope Konami doesn't force Sakurai to forget about Simon and add Snake instead.
Although it's possible Konami could take that route in regards to Smash, Simon Belmont could co-exist with Solid Snake in the roster. I'm only saying this theoretically because we have two Capcom characters.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Although it's possible Konami could take that route in regards to Smash, Simon Belmont could co-exist with Solid Snake in the roster. I'm only saying this theoretically because we have two Capcom characters.
Konami is just as big as Capcom where it can have 2+ characters on the roster, same with Namco and Sega but less likely.

I just believe that Konami is hard to work with and probably doesn't want to do it unless Nintendo pays them

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Konami is just as big as Capcom where it can have 2+ characters on the roster, same with Namco and Sega but less likely.

I just believe that Konami is hard to work with and probably doesn't want to do it unless Nintendo pays them
If the last Smash says anything, Konami and Hideo Kojima both approved of Solid Snake in Brawl. But, opinions do change. If Konami wants to double dip in Smash characters like Capcom, it could happen.

Top Bottom