• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Visual Patch Notes: Version 1.1.1 By Vitamin ZK

As usual when version 1.1.1 of Smash was released it came without patch notes. While frustrating many members of the Smashboards community took to mining their games to get the information on what major changes had happened and compiled them in the official patch notes thread. However some people have a hard time just reading and would like a more visual example of the changes. Youtube channel Vitamin ZK compiled all of the changes into a three part series of videos for just those kinds of people! With no character changes other than to remove a glitch that made Diddy Kong ungrabable these patch notes are still accurate as well. Give the first part a watch below!

Like that video? Be sure to check out Part 2 and Part 3 to see the rest of the series. To see more content created by Vitamin ZK be sure to subscribe to their channel on Youtube.

Comments

This is very useful... now I can share this with my friends without going through a long, drawn out monologue on the changes myself.

Visual learning FTW.

I saw the title and I thought every character got visual changes like Meta Knight's sword slashes.

Last edited:
When it said "visual patch notes", I thought it would explain how shields worked in 1.1.1 instead of just all these character-specific patches.
I mean, character specific patches, sure, that's ok, but no explanation of the new shields?
I'm pretty sure I understand how they work now, but I just really wanted to see a visual representation of it to understand it even more, or at least confirm my understanding.

Last edited:
Awesome idea! Not everyone would know what certain frame data changes and such did, so I think this is a very good idea in that regard.

When it said "visual patch notes", I thought it would explain how shields worked in 1.1.1 instead of just all these character-specific patches.
I mean, character specific patches, sure, that's ok, but no explanation of the new shields?
I'm pretty sure I understand how they work now, but I just really wanted to see a visual representation of it to understand it even more, or at least confirm my understanding.
Basically it's like this, if some one hit your shield before, there wasn't enough stun so you can punish immediately and grab, but now there is added stun so if some one falcon punches your shield, it will take a while before you can drop your shield

Last edited:
Basically it's like this, if some one hit your shield before, there wasn't enough stun so you can punish immediately and grab, but now there is added stun so if some one falcon punches your shield, it will take a while before you can drop your shield
Yeah, I understood that it was basically less safe to hold shield against attacks (also, it's slightly safer to powershield).
I just thought that a visual representation of the information would've been really cool. An explanation of the shield was what I expected, and when that was what I didn't see, I made that earlier comment in distress. :c

Touhou and Undertale music? what a memer
Both pretty good games though. I myself am a fan of Touhou's difficulty and play them.

Here's hoping I can fastfall bair on shield > grab as Kirby again. Haven't played since august or september. Stupid jobs and supporting myself to be independent...!

Last edited:
Still needs his brawl lazers
Never gonna happen, unless they reduce the damage to like 1% per laser or cut range in half AGAIN.

Besides, Falco needs to work on his aerial approach since all but one of his aerials are entirely useless on shield.

Frame 10 is fast but not immediate, and combos from a d-tilt, up-throw, d-throw and jab offstage.
From the info I read, the spike hitbox comes out at frame 16 right now. For comparison Fox's dair comes out at frame 5. Taking off 6 frames would be a pretty welcome buff. However there are still plenty of other buffs that could work for Falco. For instance the spike window could be increased to an amount higher than 3 frames. Or they could make it so the landing lag isn't 9 frames longer than the entire hitbox duration.

I would actually be okay with the 16 frame startup if the rest of the move wasn't so bad. Hopefully a 6 frame reduction can significantly improve its utility though.

From the info I read, the spike hitbox comes out at frame 16 right now. For comparison Fox's dair comes out at frame 5. Taking off 6 frames would be a pretty welcome buff. However there are still plenty of other buffs that could work for Falco. For instance the spike window could be increased to an amount higher than 3 frames. Or they could make it so the landing lag isn't 9 frames longer than the entire hitbox duration.

I would actually be okay with the 16 frame startup if the rest of the move wasn't so bad. Hopefully a 6 frame reduction can significantly improve its utility though.
No, we need quick spikes.
It's actually frame 17, which is an unbelievable amount of start-up and makes the move pretty useless.

Melee Falcon and Ganondorf, Ness in almost every Smash game, and other characters have long start-ups in their dairs and they do just fine. Of course, more fast moves is also good...

So do people datamine these patch notes, are they released by nintendo, or do people literally sit down and test every single character for changes?

Top Bottom