• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager - Unsuspected Aerial Threat Thread

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

Okay so most say that Villager is campy. That he's good for ground control, and he'd be great support for doubles. But you know what I haven't seen?

I haven't seen him be praised for something he has that no other non-flying character has. NO FEAR OF LEDGES.

His B-up can recover him to the stage from ANYWHERE, and his Lloid rocket can also do that on a horizontal plane.

How is this useful, you ask?

Hit a character that is trying to recover from near the ledge. It'll knock him back, but if it's a fast, weak attack they'll come back. Oh they will. HOWEVER, what if you send them flying, and then JUMP IN AFTER THEM and hit them?

It'd surely kill them, as they'd either die from being too close to the edge, or they wouldn't be able to recover.

But while most characters can't make it back from two full jumps to catch the opponent like that, villager CAN. In fact, he's got just the right arsenal for it.

up-air - opponent above you? turnip them. High damage + 3 turnips will mean death in most cases.
down-air - opponent below you? boom. 1 turnip will be annoying, but 2 will send them back far enough, and 3 will smash them into oblivion.
forward/back-air - slingshot sucks? not necessarily. long-range, it's simply a minor inconvenience, but do it close-range? critical hit right there. Over 70 damage or so while between arena and the side of the screen will result in death.
And then, there's the neutral-air

Oh, the neutral air. Such a simple, basic spin. But it hits so much. Every time. shielding opponents will fall for it, opponents behind you will far for it, and it'll knock away recovering opponents without you even needing to have good timing, as your whole body is a weapon.

So, I guess flying characters have this already, but I've never seen a ground character be able to fit into the "Death by chasing out of the stage".

You don't even KNOW how easy it is to hop forward, use down turnip, then combo with slingshot.

I could be wrong about this whole thing, but as it's been going pretty well for me online so far...I mean, I think he's pretty solid. Also no one expects Villager to be an aerial aggressor. XP

Thoughts?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
villager can be campy, but he also has decent close range combat. usually its just to get people away from him, but once villager has a little bit of momentum, he can keep going until you get someone off stage. from there i usually plant a tree by the edge and wait for thier reaction. villager definitly is an anti air character with upsmash, tree and turnips, and his approach options are very good. i have found several mix ups with the lloid rocket that can cover most scenarios. but villagers greatest strength is ground coverage. all you need is to plant a sapling and just get your opponent into high percent, bait thier attack and water tree. if they are close enough, they will die from it growing. the gyroid will block weak projectiles and while riding, its safe on block. you can follow your gyroid (since it goes so slowly) with fairs and turnips or run up and grab.

villager basically has lots of priority and disjointed hitboxes, projectiles, traps and a pocket that grants brief intangibility.

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
I think the big turning point in my Villager career was realizing how hard I could go in. Short hop Nairs and Dairs are my new favorite things. Being able to squeak out a second Nair in one hop is also still great for messing with 'em.

Offstage turnip spikes and Nair gimps are amazing and should be mainstays. I sometimes catch myself getting campy against projectile heavy characters just because pocket is so much fun, but it's good to know when to shift playstyles.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Another GREAT weapon is the slingshot, as it can fire pretty rapidly, has long range, and from close range, has launch power, while from short range, it can ping the opponent to annoy them :3

Villager isn't the fastest, but his rapid aerials, and short size, make him able to pressure defensive opponents quite well.

Doing a nair when you short hop, while rising, then another one while falling, catches almost everyone off-shield XD

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if done right, villager has a semi wall of pain approach option with short hop fair, lagless landing, and then short hop fair again. coupled with a gyroid launched at the beginning and youve got a couple options to react to: if they shield: grab if they roll away, theyll get hit by the gyroid, if they roll towards you ftilt them, if they jump, hit them with another fair. if the double jump, you might miss them, but maybe try turnips.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
My goal in offensive Villager is to be able to trade blows with Little Mac.

One day I shall do it.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
there is no trading. you either have to dodge or grow a tree (growing a tree might be your best bet at trading for if you get hit, lil mac will still be in ending lag / hit lag and the tree will grow on top of him either killing him at high percents or knocking him away. best to do it at high percents cuz an undead lil mac is still not dead and your left with the worse end of the trade) wow long paranthetical reference. and there is no attacking out of shield. lil mac will just roll away or f tilt you.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
By trade blows I mean like, charging up and going toe-to-toe with him, rather than camping and running away. XP

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
lil mac has super armor. even if you hit, he wont flinch and you'll get the full force of the trade.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Exactly why I must learn how to melee Little Macs >:3

They're so damn tough to Melee!

Top Bottom