• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Matchup Discussion 2: Diddy Kong!

Our next character to cover?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Super Lucario Sunshine

Master of Aura
NNID
anndimac
The Sheik MU thread is right here if you have anything more to contribute- http://smashboards.com/threads/villager-matchup-discussion-thread-1-sheik.415690
1. Neutral game - How should we approach this character, if we should approach at all? What moves should we use to get in, and what should we watch out for?
2. Edgeguarding - How do we keep this character off the stage and eventually out of the blastzone? What recovery options should we look out for and try to cover? Is the tree a better idea, or the bowling ball? Or just going out there and nairing them to death? Luckily our character has quite a few options for this.
3. Recovering - Usually recovering with Villager is pretty self-explanatory, but what moves should we watch out for just in case? Would getting into the habit of using lloid before Up-B put us in a bad spot?
4. Stage Choice - What stages do you prefer vs. this character? What should we strike, and what should we counterpick to? If we don't have Battlefield or Dreamland, what's a good alternative?
5. Matchup Ratio - How favorable or unfavorable do you believe this MU is for us? Do you think it could change in the future, for better or for worse? Use the first number to indicate how favorable it is for Villager and the second to indicate how favorable it is for the other character(For example, the DDD MU could be 65:35 Villager's favor). Please stick to ratios in increments of 5, no 63:37 or anything like that.
6. Anything else you'd like to add! Feel free to talk about your own experiences with this MU. Cite videos that could demonstrate your points well, or just add anything that can't be said in the above sections. (Original guideline made by SoniCraft SoniCraft )

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Cool! Maybe we should go ahead and start on Diddy Kong since we started discussing him in the Sheik thread?

Krillmaster

Smash Rookie
also sometime depending on how popular the idea is to see how villager does against ryu. I have my own ideas on it but i want to see what others think because i think ryu is going to be getting more popular as a character in tournaments soon.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
I'd like to recommend we do the Megaman matchup, even though it's not on the list :p. I have an incredible amount of trouble when dealing with campy and spammy mega mans.

EDIT: Someone told me that Zee made a matchup video on it already. Oops!

Last edited:

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
I feel like characters without projectiles, reflectors/absorbers and being really big/slow lose to villager. Especially if they have a very linear recovery

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Unless they are super rushdown like falcon.

I feel like villagers worst matchup is falcon but not sonic

Tommy - S.N.

http://i.imgur.com/QAKFpPF.gif <--- DAZ ME :]]]
NNID
TheTommy10200
Unless they are super rushdown like falcon.

I feel like villagers worst matchup is falcon but not sonic
I'm not too sure if Villager loses to Falcon, if you're playing aggressive that is.

Last edited:

Mr.C_Spain

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mr.C-FEST
3DS FC
4828-6327-6593
Today I've practised online with two Diddy's and I've have many problems with Diddy stay in the ground many time and he's abused shield. any tips? ("take the banana" didn't work).

Tommy - S.N.

NNID
TheTommy10200
I really am interested in this MU though.

Last edited:

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Diddy has a harder time getting grabs, bananas make it easier and if you pocket bannana you can atleast predict when he rushes in and grabs. One thing that ALWAYS gets me is when Diddys do the kickflip but just grab onto you and shoves his nuts in your face :/

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Diddy loves to recover high with side-b because of Villager's getup option coverage, so always be ready for a u-air as you can snag a kill at like 80% on a careless Diddy.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Villy loses terribly up close. Diddy does Luigi stuff, grab combos all the way.

So the way to play the matchup, though it's a bit boring, might be to just get banana, then camp him out. He isn't exceedingly fast, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd say its 45-55 for Diddy, or 50-50 (because Pocket banana + edgeguarding)

Mr.C_Spain

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mr.C-FEST
3DS FC
4828-6327-6593
Please, "take the banana" we've already read everybody many many times. If we get useful information about this matchup, you provide constructive comments.

Some videos about the matchup (the last two videos are with customs, but we can extrapolate te important things). I've tried to search recent videos, but I haven'tt had much success:

*Edit-->I agree this video:

Last edited:

Super Lucario Sunshine

Master of Aura
NNID
anndimac
Please, "take the banana" we've already read everybody many many times. If we get useful information about this matchup, you provide constructive comments.

Some videos about the matchup (the last two videos are with customs, but we can extrapolate te important things). I've tried to search recent videos, but I haven'tt had much success:

Watching one of these and realizing: wait, is jab safe on shield?

MrJOENeil

Smash Rookie
Diddys biggest tools after you take his naner is his side b, his f air and of course grab. Good diddys will wait for villager to throw out a lloyd and punish with a side b. so be careful not to throw out to many side bs if diddy is in the range to punish with a side b because its pretty free for them.

Last edited:

Tommy - S.N.

NNID
TheTommy10200
Diddys biggest tools after you take his naner is his side b, his f air and of course grab. Good diddys will wait for villager to throw out a lloyd and punish with a side b. so be careful not to throw out to many side bs if diddy is in the range to punish with a side b because its pretty free for them.
Yeah, that's actually really important to know for the MU. Diddy can also SH fair if you decide to Lloid rocket close to him as it clanks with the rocket elongating his Fair hitbox and then it would hit you. (Uptilt might be useful in this MU...)

Last edited:

MrJOENeil

Smash Rookie
Yes diddys can also f air straight threw our f air and still hit villager if you don't space perfect. its really annoying

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
If he is charging up b you can easily read when he'll release it and hit him with a dair. Getting the late dair is easy and it instantly kills him

Super Lucario Sunshine

Master of Aura
NNID
anndimac
If he is charging up b you can easily read when he'll release it and hit him with a dair. Getting the late dair is easy and it instantly kills him
Building on this, one of the best things in our favor is the ability to go deep near the blastzones to gimp his recovery because of ours. Nair Dair and the slingshot all work. This may just be one of the deciding factors in this MU

Top Bottom