• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
Hello all, I'm a new Ice Climbers main from Arizona. Over the last month or so I've been playing with one of the top players in town, mostly friendlies and practice matches. A few weeks ago he purchased a capture card to record some of the matches that the newer people in town were playing so that we can review them on our own later. Medz has been nothing but kind to all of the up-and-coming smashers in Arizona, so before I link any videos, I'd like to just give him a quick thank you for making Smash at a competitive level so accessible to me.

Anyways, here's the link to the first set of matches I've been looking into and some points that I've made analyzing my play by myself:
1) I approach too much, or more appropriately, I approach at the wrong time. Often times I find myself wave-dashing straight into a short hop nair approach.
2) I use too many "raw" moves. I also have a bad habit of throwing out a hail-mary-esque down smash when I approach instead of thinking about which option would be the best choice for the situation. I justify this as inexperience with the game since I'm not used to reacting this quickly to anything. The more I play, the more situations will begin to feel familiar, giving me more time to think about what I want to do out of an approach.
3) My desyncs are minimal. This is something I tried to improve on in the second set of matches, but in this set I'm mostly seeing spot-dodge desyncs and roll desyncs. I think these were okay decisions in this match, but my execution during the desyncs need improvement.
4) I give up center stage a lot. I think this bad habit has come about because of my desire to create space between me and my opponent with a roll desync so I can set up a quick blizzard.
5) I grab out of shield too much. Medz picked up on that a while back and punishes me hard for it, hence all the drill-shines.

Here's another match from my first tournament ever! Actually, this is my first match in my first tournament! I'm just glad that I got to play on stream for this so I can save the video and look back on it later to see my first ever tournament performance, but I digress. Again, the video with the time stamp and some points I've made:
1) Over using Nana blizzard. I would go back and count how many I tried to go for (especially in game three), but that would take a while. Some of them were used appropriately, most of them were not. I need to be more aware of when I throw out a blizzard and how to react to an opponents DI if it connects.
2) My ability to set up walls is terrible. That's something I can work on in solo practice, fortunately.
3) Lol at my SoPo being better than my Climbers.
4) The second match went okay, lot of missed conversions and bad grabs, but I took a set at least.
5) I miss a lot of forward smashes that should/could kill on recovery. A lot of the stuff that the commentators are pointing out are things that I'm starting to see on my own.
The set starts at 56:39

All in all, I felt it was a good set. The first game was mine to win, but he did a good job coming back. My nerves weren't too bad, but streaming my first match didn't help much in that regard. I still had a ton of fun and picked up a lot of valuable experience!

I appreciate any and all insight. Thank you so much for your time, everyone. Have an excellent day.

Top Bottom