• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ventura County Smashers: The Revival (read first post)

festizzio

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree with that, I'm guessing (hoping) you mean something along the lines of a pizza place w/ an arcade? :) Like shakey's or lamppost or something. hehe

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Haha yeah my parents brought that up and not knowing the people is an issue for them. I'm all for the idea of a public meeting, we should do it sometime soon, I want to take advantage of spring break ^ ^

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Yeah, if anyone knows a good place not too far from any city that we have smashers in, please post the idea here. Finding a good time might be a bit difficult, but since many of us are on spring break, we can probably find a day.

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree with that, I'm guessing (hoping) you mean something along the lines of a pizza place w/ an arcade? :) Like shakey's or lamppost or something. hehe
Foo Shakeys isn’t even around Ventura County. I always see the commercials on TV but they’re around the LA area. I’m not driving over there just to go check it out, although I’ve been tempted to do it.

Never heard of lamppost.

This thread is looking very good so far. If I would have known that so many people lived around this area, I would have made a thread a while ago. It was only me and Plan 9 about a year ago. Crazy.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I'm out in between camarillo and moorpark, right off santa rosa road.

anyway if anyones open march 30th send me a pm, i cant host full on tournaments just yet but i can definitely have 8-16 people over for some smash bros

on a side note, if anyone knows a good place to get gc controllers, tell me. I got two working and about 4 broken controllers (one works sometimes) so im going to need more and gamestops/hollywood games dont carry them

Matriak

Smash Rookie
Anyways, there's a pizza place in Camarillo that has a little bit of an arcade in it, but I don't know if all the VC people wanna drive down here.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Well up until about a year ago there was a shakey's in simi, and lamppost is this pizza place, there's one in moorpark on LA avenue and there's one in Simi on Cochran.

And to the other guy, they have new gamecube controllers at Gamestops, at least the one in Simi. I bought mine from there not too long ago and last time I went there (which was a few days ago) they had about 8 brand new ones. They get shipments in every day, if they don't have them one day they might have them the next.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
There's a shaky's in ventura. I was really suprised when I found it because I too only saw the commercials but never saw them around. They looked really cool, but I was disappointed when I went.

ANYWAYS! As for a gathering, the most central places are T.O. and Camarillo.

I suggest Topper's Pizza in Thousand Oaks on Saturday the 29th, time pending

Topper's has the best pizza place in Ventura County imo, and though I've never been to the one in T.O. usually they have decent arcades. Also, I have some gift certificates for there, so I can subsidize the cost by $10-$15. Make sure to put what time's you're available.

Topper's Info

Thousand Oaks, CA
1416 N Moorpark Rd
805 495 4444

Menu and Address
Directions

Post if you can make it or if you have a problem with the time/place, etc. If it looks like this will work out, start advertising it to anyone you think might be interested who is on the first page or in your group of friends. I'll post it up front as soon as it seems like there's legitimate interest by tomorrow and we can advertise the heck out of it/ find necessary carpools on Tuesday.

Also:
I'm out in between camarillo and moorpark, right off santa rosa road.

anyway if anyones open march 30th send me a pm, i cant host full on tournaments just yet but i can definitely have 8-16 people over for some smash bros
Let's guage some interest in this. Too soon after the meetup? If people are interested I can add this to the front page too.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
we'll see how it goes, i'm pretty much open to host any weekend (fri-sun). Ill try to make it this wensday, but my classes run to 6:30 so I'll probably be late.

if you want directions pm me

ReNiC

Smash Rookie
this is just me but i cant go on wednesday 8(. thurs or friday would be dope for me. I work the other days. location is fine and so is time. i really want to start brawlin.

Matriak

Smash Rookie
Anytime over spring break is fine with me. I can go to the wednesday meet up. EDIT: Can't go wednesday after all, but any other day = fine. (cept tomrrow)

Also, to ease tensions, maybe we can all add each other on facebook/myspace?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Saturday could be another alternate date, post if you can make one, the other, or both and what time on saturday (morning, afternoon, evening)

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it would be much quicker to talk to everyone here if we all had a facebook, but I'd prefer everyone to have an AIM or MSN acount also. I hope everyone who has one has posted it here, but whoever doesn't have one should get one. Both are totaly free, just have to download em. Makes communication much easier.

maltmaker

Smash Rookie
me

hey everyone, noob here to the forums, im a friend of juga's and he finally convinced me to get on this forum, im in the simi valley and might be able to brawl sometime, dont know if ill be able to make the wednesday thing

aim:icowwowmoo

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I kinda forgot to do the whole introduction thing so here it is
Bigfoot (+2-3 friends) - the intersection between Moorpark, Camarillo, and T.O.- 16 people weekly, up to 32 on occasions

AIM= Srsuied *might be changed soon

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
Re: Northridge. I'm not too familiar with public places to host a tourney, but I'll ask around (no really, I will). I know a few buildings that might be rent-out-able, and possibly the library if we're way in the back or something. I know there's a lot of smashers in the dorms, all of varying skill levels, but I'll see if they can help too. But yeah, I'll look into it.

Topper's I won't make it to. I'm busy all day every day except for weekends (napping and such.)

There's a tourney in Grenada the 29th, and the one in Agoura on the 5th. I'll be up for something big and official looking the weekend after, unless another tourney rears its ugly head :D

Come to think of it, there's an arcade on campus that we can most likely set up wiis in the back and move all the tables/pool tables. I dont think they've hosted a console tourney before but whatever............

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I changed it to Saturday since it seems like most people can't make wednesday.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Saturday, eh? I should be able to go unless my parents go on some anger frenzy earlier that day and decide to hate on me. >_<

It would be good to know who is going FOR SURE, because I dont want to end up going with no one to meet there. Someone make a list of who is going, possibly (tagxy?).

It realy would be cool to meet you guys there, though I'm not sure exactly what we'd talk about except smash and meeting eachother. Possibly we can talk about plans for future smashfests and see what we can come up with. Also, if any of you have friends who you can bring who might also come to smashfests, or just for the heck of it, that should be fine.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Saturday sounds good.
I'll tell some of my friends about it, they should be interested.
We need to set up a time for planning reasons. . .
Whats a good time for everyone? I'd say 5:00pm, not too early, not too late.
My MySpace page is [ http://www.myspace.com/nasaxnieru ], I have MSN too but PM for it plz ^ ~.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Well, I just asked my mom about going, and she was looking at me like: why would you want to do that? Then she decides that all of you are either
A. Drug Users
B. Alchohol Drinkers
C. "bad kids"

She says that all kinds of people play these games (what a surprise) and that its dangerous. She even SAYS that she's overprotective, and is not even sure if I can go to the topper pizza, let alone any smashfests. I swear, it's gonna be tough for people like me to have any fun these days.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Let her know about the online community, perhaps show her this thread.

I can guarantee you most smashers do not fall under this stereotype. The smash community is pretty much known for being one of the nicest, most accepting communities. It's the ONLY community where pretty much everybody gets a long, if you go to a Halo tournament, there is tons and tons of trash talking, and you'll never see the 1st place team and the 3rd place team hanging out. In our community, everyone is friends.

haha sorry about that ramble..

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice Mike. My mother hates the computer, because I'm always on it talking to friends and whatever. We're also a Christian family, so she thinks that everyone is going to be a bad influence on me, or because there are college kids, that there will be drinking. My dad would be more willing to listen, because he's not overly protective.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
yeah, well i mean it's reasonable for your mother to want to protect you, I mean it is kind of a new thing to want to meet new people, some of which will be older (idk how old you are, i'm just assuming), but at some point you have to let her know that you want to meet new people and new experiences, and try to let her know that it's not like you're doing ANYTHING BAD, you're going to be playing video games lol. It's the same thing you would be doing at home, only now you'll be with more people doing the same thing.

As for youngins, there's a kid that's been going to tournaments since the age of 12.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
12 years old...0_0

I'm a sophmore in highschool myself, and thats true about what you said. I'll just have to try and convince her to let me go and not worry about bad things happening. :laugh:

I just showed my dad the thread, all he realy said is: leeet me talk to mom about it.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
We're also a Christian family, so she thinks that everyone is going to be a bad influence on me, or because there are college kids, that there will be drinking.
Haha yeah I feel your pain. I was in the same boat not long ago. Thats the reason I wasn't allowed to go to the UCLA tourney on March 1st :dizzy: . . . They'd better have another one lol
. . . and is not even sure if I can go to the topper pizza, let alone any smashfests. I swear, it's gonna be tough for people like me to have any fun these days.
In regards to Toppers, we're at a family restaurant . . . so if she wanted could even meet us. My parent was thinking of doing so. ^ ~
The smash community is pretty much known for being one of the nicest, most accepting communities.
Speak the truth
There is so much hostility at tourneys for other games, with Smash people seem pretty nice.

We need confirmation on who can go, I don't want to get there and find out that no one went > >|| Lets agree on a time and get it settled ^ ^

Blu_Jay

Smash Cadet
I guess I hav'nt really intoduced myself either,
BlueJay, 1-2 friends (they dont even really play smash that much though) I live in Agoura Hills, (its sort of on the border of LA county and VC) and I host a smash tourney every mounth or so, everyone is welcome to come! I also would love some new online buddies on my list if anyone wants to PM me some time,
Thanks for the advice Mike. My mother hates the computer, because I'm always on it talking to friends and whatever. We're also a Christian family, so she thinks that everyone is going to be a bad influence on me, or because there are college kids, that there will be drinking. My dad would be more willing to listen, because he's not overly protective.
By the way dude, Im exactly like you, I would ask my parents if I could come with my brother to one of these smash fests somtime but I probly know that the answer is already a "no" lol, I might as well try somtime though.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Ok, does 6:00 on saturday work for everyone? If that doesnt work for you, put what times you are available.

Also, I can meet with any parents if necessary. Parents usually love the fact that I'm an Eagle Scout, so you can tell them that if it helps out, haha.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Ok, does 6:00 on saturday work for everyone? If that doesnt work for you, put what times you are available.

Also, I can meet with any parents if necessary. Parents usually love the fact that I'm an Eagle Scout, so you can tell them that if it helps out , haha.
Quoted for emphasis. No realy, it does help.

6:00 is good for me, so thats 2 so far in total XD. Anyone who can make it, please post. Or if there are conflicts, do what tagxy says. :)

Tagxy

Smash Lord
OK! So the time and date is tentatively set for 6:00 PM on Saturday, Topper's Pizza in T.O.. But, just in case, go to this link and put all times you're available:

http://www.doodle.ch/vge3d3getgcak9qi

Make sure to let everyone you know who might be interested about this.

Top Bottom