• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
aight cool i'll prolly be there tonight

it'd be cool tho if we could play real tournament rules.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
shoutouts to Olbus and Blues who are gonna wreck yall in 64. Get Some Ha Ha Ha

wangston

Smash Lord
People outside of Provo are coming to this? I'm so hyped now. This is going to be great! Looks like there is going to be 30+ people. Bring a setup if you can.

Last edited:

wangston

Smash Lord
Results thread.

1st. Fox Guy He 3 or 4 stocked everyone and didn't drop a game as fox.
2nd Pika player Beat everyone but Fox
3rd Me. I could have done it if I were able to go dreamland and against the pika player, Hyrule is to big too get rest kills on.

Shout out to the few guys coming all the way up from St George for this.

Also RVKYS sorry about the 4 stock lol I was pissed about losing to the pika player.

Last edited:

Chukwaffles

Smash Cadet
I'm going to have to make 64 tournaments a regular thing, aren't I?
I would be down if you tried it out and saw how many people would be interested. I've always been curious how I stack up against all the other Utah peeps but I was unable to make it to provo

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Results thread.

1st. Fox Guy first He 3 or 4 stocked everyone and didn't drop a set as fox.
2nd Pika player Beat everyone but Fox
3rd Me. I could have done it if I were able to go dreamland and against the pika player, Hyrule is to big to get rest kills on.

Shout out to the few guys coming all the way up from St George for this.

Also RVKYS so about the 4 stock lol I was pissed about losing to the pika player.
do these players not have names? did they come in all falcomaster3000-like?

Smash Journeyman
These old 64 players were actually able to get the tags "Fox Guy", and "Pika Player" back in the late 90's.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
I really hope that we get a serious 64 tournament. I didn't end up going to this one because of the ban on gc controllers (which is really dumb, all the best players use 64 controllers anyway) and the ruleset wasn't very good at all. Plz Tim.

64 is soooo good for working on sdi

Last edited:

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
Super wanted to go to that 64 tourney but my work schedule changed on me yesterday. Oh well. Happy birthday to me.

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
Lol yeah it was still a lot of fun but the rule set was pree lame. I wanna play you in the future wangston, my fraudulent yoshi got exposed hard.

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
I'm bringing in my 3ds again tonight at 801 labs if you need and/or want your Wii u to have EVO set customs.

Chukwaffles

Smash Cadet
I really hope that we get a serious 64 tournament. I didn't end up going to this one because of the ban on gc controllers (which is really dumb, all the best players use 64 controllers anyway) and the ruleset wasn't very good at all. Plz Tim.

64 is soooo good for working on sdi
N64 controllers is a pretty smart idea, everyone should use similar equipment. I can't say that I agree with Hyrule Temple being the best stage though.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
N64 controllers is a pretty smart idea, everyone should use similar equipment. I can't say that I agree with Hyrule Temple being the best stage though.
How is a smart idea to ban the GC controller adapter? n64 controllers are extremely harder to get and even hard to keep from wearing out. banning the GC adapters is just going to keep most people from playing and none of the real 64 tournaments do it.

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
N64 controllers is a pretty smart idea, everyone should use similar equipment.
That's so scrubby dude. You can use anything you want for 64 by the Apex ruleset; keyboard, xbox, n64 or an adapter so long as it doesn't cheat and enter inputs for you or turbo it's g2g. Forcing people to use a 64 stick just makes the barrier to entry higher for no reason besides the idea that everyone should use the same or a "similar" controller. How is the GC controller not similar, and if it isn't what is? Why should we all have to use the same controller? What does that even mean when you think about it in terms of the other smash games? Should our sticks have regulartions on how tight or loose they can be less someone's controller be better at shield dropping? Should smash4 be pro controller only? Should we ban me for having the spring taken out of my shoulder button? No esport forces you to use the same equipment as everyone else. Smash64 is just special because people get extra salty about you using a good controller while they are using their are using their old, mario partyd sticks that can't dash or pivot or fsmash. It shouldn't even be an issue as, like I said at the beginning, every big tournament for 64 has very liberal policies regarding control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLjhNPQUzk Here we can see super boom on a keyboard and sensie doing all the 20xx shine stuff on a n64 controller.

Last edited:

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
>Mango and Leffen playing a couple hours of friendlies on Mango's stream
>Armada and M2K playing a couple hours of friendlies on M2K's stream

Is this real life

Chukwaffles

Smash Cadet
That's so scrubby dude. You can use anything you want for 64 by the Apex ruleset; keyboard, xbox, n64 or an adapter so long as it doesn't cheat and enter inputs for you or turbo it's g2g. Forcing people to use a 64 stick just makes the barrier to entry higher for no reason besides the idea that everyone should use the same or a "similar" controller. How is the GC controller not similar, and if it isn't what is? Why should we all have to use the same controller? What does that even mean when you think about it in terms of the other smash games? Should our sticks have regulartions on how tight or loose they can be less someone's controller be better at shield dropping? Should smash4 be pro controller only? Should we ban me for having the spring taken out of my shoulder button? No esport forces you to use the same equipment as everyone else. Smash64 is just special because people get extra salty about you using a good controller while they are using their are using their old, mario partyd sticks that can't dash or pivot or fsmash. It shouldn't even be an issue as, like I said at the beginning, every big tournament for 64 has very liberal policies regarding control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLjhNPQUzk Here we can see super boom on a keyboard and sensie doing all the 20xx shine stuff on a n64 controller.
Obviously I struck a really weird nerve and that's super weird. First off, calling me scrubby is a great way to start that off man, nice job, really friendly attitude. Where did that rant even come from? I was just suggesting some normalization to a hypothetical tournament. Also, if you can't answer why a gamecube controller isn't similar to an N64 one, you should probably try looking at them side by side http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gamecube+and+n64+controller.

Anyway, I would be super psyched for a 64 tournament, it would be fun to see how everyone stacks up.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Obviously I struck a really weird nerve and that's super weird. First off, calling me scrubby is a great way to start that off man, nice job, really friendly attitude. Where did that rant even come from? I was just suggesting some normalization to a hypothetical tournament. Also, if you can't answer why a gamecube controller isn't similar to an N64 one, you should probably try looking at them side by side http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gamecube and n64 controller.

Anyway, I would be super psyched for a 64 tournament, it would be fun to see how everyone stacks up.
This was the first result to that search. @ SoapSuds SoapSuds wins. GG

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
settle it in smash, boys ;-). btw, is anyone hosting a smash fest to watch sandstorm?

Pyr

Smash Lord
Does the gamecube controller give any noticeable advantage? If not, they should be allowed if it doesn't cost tournament time. Not allowing a GC controller for any other reason than noticeable advantage is like telling Vangief to **** off for his controller choice. Input method has never mattered more than performance.

/2¢

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
ATTENTION

I have DMW (from Idaho) staying at my place for the weekend. If anyone wants to swing up and get rekt, PM me for the address and we'll figure out a time.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i play smash 64 with a PS1 controller and no analog sticks like a true evo champion

wangston

Smash Lord

As a jiggs main I would agree it's grabage. Basically the whole tourney was a counterpick against me. My jiggs relies on gimps and rest. On Hyrule people would just camp the EDIT right side and run around the little hut thing so I could do neither of those. At dream land there is no where to hid from this jiggs .

EDIT
PC YOU ARE RIGHT!

Last edited:

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Obviously I struck a really weird nerve and that's super weird. First off, calling me scrubby is a great way to start that off man, nice job, really friendly attitude. Where did that rant even come from? I was just suggesting some normalization to a hypothetical tournament. Also, if you can't answer why a gamecube controller isn't similar to an N64 one, you should probably try looking at them side by side http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gamecube and n64 controller.

Why are people johning hard about controllers? You're entire justification is that the equipment should be similar. That makes no sense whatsoever. What matters is using equipment that you're comfortable with. If you've been practicing on an n64 controller, then there should be no excuses. If you lose you should just get better. I'll still shatter @ SoapSuds SoapSuds and @Rockmix target test records with a n64 controller :p (MM me in target test lololol).

All you're doing is limiting other players who are more comfortable with other controllers. You're not forced to use any controllers for PM, Brawl, or 64 in big tournaments. Furthermore people already alter their gc controllers to their liking (removing L and R button springs etc.). Should that be banned?

I'm not sure if you're really thinking this through man.

Top Bottom