• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
So I'll be free after my job interview stuff if anyone wants to play some smash before the weekly, would need a ride though >.>

Edit: So anyone wanna play some smash?

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Just met Dark Ryu at my school tournament last night. Cool guy. Said he knew most of you guys

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
So I'll be free after my job interview stuff if anyone wants to play some smash before the weekly, would need a ride though >.>

Edit: So anyone wanna play some smash?
hey, me and billny are about to leave provo/orem. if you still want a ride, we can pick you up on the way up. look for my number on the utah smasher directory. text me your address or something.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice

This is what you guys mean when you say that "X" doesn't work in 20xx. (^ is the creator of the hack pack.) Nintendon't sux @ N nqztv .

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman

This is what you guys mean when you say that "X" doesn't work in 20xx. (^ is the creator of the hack pack.) Nintendon't sux @ N nqztv .

that's like me telling jekyll that the game he's working on is terrible. just because i know how to program doesn't mean i know everything about someone else's project. if you want to keep using an ancient abandoned project that prevents you from using your disc drive while being super finicky about which usb drives it wants to work with and freezes on load many times, then feel free to use dios mios. i'm still going to stick with nintendont since it's an active and healthy project and has worked just fine for me :-p.

and stop leaving things at other people's places! i have you water bottle ;-).

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
You don't even update nintendon't because they keep breaking stuff and the wii that you run the stream off of has a broken disc drive. Dios mios doesn't even block you from using the disc drive, what it does do, however, is replace standard mios. The project isn't old (as far as wii homebrew goes) it's last update was july of last year https://code.google.com/p/diosmios/source/list Addionally, I'm pretty sure I can prove that Nintendon't is screwing with inputs, I'll post proof later.

Why not just use a regular disc loading wii for the stream, like all the other setups?

Also thanks for grabbing my water bottle >.> I realized I forgot it right after I left.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
You don't even update nintendon't because they keep breaking stuff and the wii that you run the stream off of has a broken disc drive. Dios mios doesn't even block you from using the disc drive, what it does do, however, is replace standard mios. The project isn't old (as far as wii homebrew goes) it's last update was july of last year https://code.google.com/p/diosmios/source/list Addionally, I'm pretty sure I can prove that Nintendon't is screwing with inputs, I'll post proof later.

Why not just use a regular disc loading wii for the stream, like all the other setups?

Also thanks for grabbing my water bottle >.> I realized I forgot it right after I left.
ummm, i do update nintendont. i've been trying to use the latest version each week at the weeklies. sometimes when someone else changes the game or something, they select the old nintendont--which i keep for compatibility with other loaders--instead of the new one :-p.

yes, but i also have a wii that has a working disc drive. dios mios replaces the standard mios by redirecting it from reading from the disc drive to reading from the usb (therefore invalidating your disk drive for gamecube games). it's not like i haven't used it. i used it for a while last year. it gave me enough headaches that when nintondont became a viable alternative, i was happily ready to make the switch.

and the last update before that was may of 2013. not exactly an active update cycle. even the forum discussing it on gbatemp isn't active. if you were to post there, you probably wouldn't get a reply for a while.

if you can prove it, then we can talk. otherwise, i have no desire to switch back to dios mios.

because it's easier to switch between melee and pm and i know that it works. i don't want to have to deal with switching discs, read errors, classic controllers, etc in the middle of a weekly :-p.

Last edited:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Hey everyone,

So the wedding is planned for June 27th in San Diego, but we will be having an open house/reception in Orem July 11th. If any of you are interested in coming PM me your address and I'll get you an invitation. Or if you are my friend on facebook, send me it there and it'll be easier for me to keep track of. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to an event sometime.

net1234

Smash Ace
so just an fyi

THERE ARE FESTS EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT AT RJS, 2522 HORSESHOE CIRCLE IN WEST JORDAN. GO TO THE HOUSE AROUD BACK AND GO UPSTAIRS.

BETTER SEE ALL YALLS NEXT WEEK

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
so just an fyi

THERE ARE FESTS EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT AT RJS, 2522 HORSESHOE CIRCLE IN WEST JORDAN. GO TO THE HOUSE AROUD BACK AND GO UPSTAIRS.

BETTER SEE ALL YALLS NEXT WEEK
were you guys toking so hard that it took you over a day to post this? ;-) ;-)

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
@ N nqztv , so I tried to sit down and prove that inputs were being weird. I used the phsyics debug mode iso from magus to get numbers for the main stick position, but the numbers didn't seem as precise as I thought they would be, and it seemed like they would change depending on how I pushed the stick into each notch so I didn't end up with very good data. Just making sure native control is enabled is all I'll ask you to do on that front, and from what I recall, native control is enabled so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not really sure why I've been on your case so much about this issue (I personally have had many, many more issues with nintendon't and have a lot of anecdotal evidence against it, but nothing I can actually back up), and I guess now that I can't come up with any proof this way either I don't really have room to talk, but, what I think you should do is use a wii with a working disc drive, load PM off a usb drive and melee with the disc; then you don't have to deal with a loader for gc/melee at all, you don't have to use the stage builder exploit before you can start PM (if you were playing brawl off the disc), and everyone can be 100% sure that the melee on stream is vanilla, cheat free, and the input is correct. I know for sure you can use usbloadergx to launch games in the disc drive as well as usbloaded wii games, but I'm sure there are plenty of loaders to choose from. (From what you said I think you're loading PM off an ios already, but if that isn't the case I have an ISO you could use, or you could build one yourself with the link at the top of this post

In general I think using homebrewed stuff in tournament is pretty sketchy as there can be cheats on, bad isos, or bugs in the loaders (I know remi played on my setup one night and didn't pull a single stitchface or unusual turnup all night, what if something about my setup was messing with the rng? (I really don't mean to beg the question I just honestly don't know.)) Is there something you can tell me on that front to ease my concerns?

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
@ N nqztv , so I tried to sit down and prove that inputs were being weird. I used the phsyics debug mode iso from magus to get numbers for the main stick position, but the numbers didn't seem as precise as I thought they would be, and it seemed like they would change depending on how I pushed the stick into each notch so I didn't end up with very good data. Just making sure native control is enabled is all I'll ask you to do on that front, and from what I recall, native control is enabled so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not really sure why I've been on your case so much about this issue (I personally have had many, many more issues with nintendon't and have a lot of anecdotal evidence against it, but nothing I can actually back up), and I guess now that I can't come up with any proof this way either I don't really have room to talk, but, what I think you should do is use a wii with a working disc drive, load PM off a usb drive and melee with the disc; then you don't have to deal with a loader for gc/melee at all, you don't have to use the stage builder exploit before you can start PM (if you were playing brawl off the disc), and everyone can be 100% sure that the melee on stream is vanilla, cheat free, and the input is correct. I know for sure you can use usbloadergx to launch games in the disc drive as well as usbloaded wii games, but I'm sure there are plenty of loaders to choose from. (From what you said I think you're loading PM off an ios already, but if that isn't the case I have an ISO you could use, or you could build one yourself with the link at the top of this post

In general I think using homebrewed stuff in tournament is pretty sketchy as there can be cheats on, bad isos, or bugs in the loaders (I know remi played on my setup one night and didn't pull a single stitchface or unusual turnup all night, what if something about my setup was messing with the rng? (I really don't mean to beg the question I just honestly don't know.)) Is there something you can tell me on that front to ease my concerns?
if this is correct, the chance of getting a stitch face is 127/7424 and we'll call that P_luckydog. therefore, the chance of not getting a stitch face is 1 - P_luckydog or 7297/7424. the chance of not getting a stitch face over x number of events is (1 - P_luckydog) ^ x, so if one were to pull a turnip 100 times, the chance of not getting a stitch face is (7297 / 7424) ^ 100 ~= 17.8%. note that the chance of getting two pairs in poker is less than half as likely than not getting a stitch face in 100 pulls. determining the probability of remi not pulling a stitch face that night is left to the reader as an exercise ;-).

also, cheats on: that's pretty much what 20xxte/dolphin netplay is. no one should really care about this. bad isos: that's what checksums are for. bugs in the loader: i doubt that the developers would roll their own rng or mess with the rng without it breaking something else in the game or not do something noticeable to the player.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to focus on my main(s) when I find six of the viable characters in Melee to be super fun.
You should try being worse at the game. Whenever I get an inkling to play a non-samus character I get immediate negative feedback that that was a terrible terrible idea and I should never do that again.

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
It's hard to focus on my main(s) when I find six of the viable characters in Melee to be super fun.
This year I've gone pikachu, sheik, ganon, puff, and marth at separate game dens, and I went c. falcon at Neumont. The struggle is real.

Top Bottom