• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I was hoping for Ness/Villager to win the sm4sh doubles, but now EVO has to deal with B U C K E T B O Y Z.
B U C K E T B O Y Z is always good for teams, this is nothing new. But the threshold mechanic given to Oil Panic just makes it more effective.

Villager is kind of a doubles god himself.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I don't like Castle Siege as a starter. The incline in the middle of the stage seems a bit weird to me. I would also like to see FoD as a counter pick, but that's mostly because I really like that stage.

My Proposed Stagelist-
Starters:
PS2, Smashville, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland

Counter Picks:
Fountain of Dreams, Green Hill Zone, Final Destination, Norfair, WarioWare.
The reason I like CS as a starter is that it has a different layout on a small map. Rather than having 3 stages with the triangle platforms set up. I think it adds some diversity in good ways.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I would personally be a little sad to see Yoshi's Island not used in tournaments anymore...

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
801 Strider is in top 8 in USF4. Dude is doing work.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
That day not only did I put a beatdown on Death with Zelda, I also made out to grsmash for an alright rage moment

kaln0ky

Smash Rookie
you must be asking about melee cuz asking who would win smash 4 would be stupid. PPMD there? if so that would be sick to see him show up out of the blue again and win it all
Edit: Seeing abate and vudujin teaming up in doubles made mah day
looking at the top 8, i think it'll be hbox from winner's side and mang0 from losers with mang0 beating hbox.

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
Plup got robbed so hard with that windmill

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
Hey I'm from Taylorsville, and fairly new to the scene. Can anybody point me to an upcoming tourney?

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
Hey I'm from Taylorsville, and fairly new to the scene. Can anybody point me to an upcoming tourney?
page one on the forums should have a spreadsheet of all the tourneys that are in this area.

hoyo74

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know what games are at the game den weeklie or is it still undecided.

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
in other news, 801 Strider took 2nd in SF4.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
We should get Peach mains all over to take this "assessment."
[...]

Dreamland: Since they decided to make it a small stage, it's exactly like Battlefield save for Whispy.

If anything, Miiverse shouldn't be included because it's not enough different between the other two. Dreamland could be simply because of Whispy, which if that was the case, we'd be looking probably replacing Lylat Cruise (due to tilting) as a neutral. But honestly, as much as I love Dreamland, it's a clone stage at this point.

As my tournaments have been the opinion of, the way Evo does striking is stupid. Understandable for them, but stupid. Hell, 2 stocks 6 minutes is stupid too. I've kept pretty close to it's ruleset, but Utah will probably see a vast change come after it for the weeklies.

Ultimately with these stages, they're not necessary in the sense of adding nothing more to the game than the standard. Dreamland was an optimal choice earlier because of the large size, but without that, it's nothing too much. It's almost exactly like Battlefield with a stage hazard. Hell, Lylat is the same category since the ledge update. But Lylat has the platform level difference, whereas Dreamland doesn't. The current neutral game is, effectively, as effective as it gets. I have a feeling all that will change after Evo too, though.
Was meaning to respond to this earlier, but I forgot.

Dreamland isn't really a clone stage of battlefield the way miiverse is for a few reasons:

1. The platforms are at different heights. For example: Ryu can't reach them with a full hop, while on battlefield he can.
2. The base is wider, so even though the blast zones are about the same, it affects what percentages kill or not (also, if it matters, the top platform is wider than the bottom two)
3. The platforms are more spread apart. I personally don't like how cramped Sm4sh Battlefield is. It always feels like the platforms are restricting my movement. Dreamland's base and platform layout makes the stage feel much more open than Battlefield.

Anyway, while the size changes make dreamland somewhat redundant, it's not redundant enough to warrant a ban IMO. I'd like to see TOs give it a shot. I'm sure players would enjoy it much more than Lylat Cruise. It would be my personal favorite starter stage if it became legal.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
WHERE THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE COME FROM

Anyway

Yeah, I'll have to experiment myself. They're just my early findings and seeings of them. Then again, I'll have to REALLY push into that more since I have to learn the bloody game >.<

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
I learned 2 things from CEO.

Plup and Shroomed showed me that Sheik can be a cool character.

Leffen is still a *****.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
He said later he would if he won Evo

Which is looking pretty hard at this point

Edit: Speaking of Falcon, Wizzy is the hero Melee deserves because holy moly

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
I learned one thing from CEO:

Mango still hasn't come out of buster mode
Buster mode or not, it looks like armada has the upper hand on him now that he has a fox. Mango's fox dittos isn't on the same level as armada's, and his falco seems to get destroyed by his peach. only way I see him beating armada again is by getting lucky first match blind pick (they do that first match right?) and getting the counter pick advantage

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Copied from the Gamer's Abbey Page:

We've teamed up with Game Changerz to bring you a series of tournaments for Super Smash Bros Melee! You have a chance for up to a $150 shopping spree in their store, plus your name to be forever immortalized on a trophy for their new Retro Game Master Tournament Series! See the event below for details, and get ready for the first of the qualifiers in Salt Lake that is THIS FRIDAY!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1675907915977218/

Last edited:

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Buster mode or not, it looks like armada has the upper hand on him now that he has a fox. Mango's fox dittos isn't on the same level as armada's, and his falco seems to get destroyed by his peach. only way I see him beating armada again is by getting lucky first match blind pick (they do that first match right?) and getting the counter pick advantage
I still hold that Mango can win the counterpicking war by going Falcon if Armada counterpicks FD again.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
EVO 2015 armada mang0 GF

mang0 comes from losers like always and wins the first set for the reset then armada gets 2-0 second set before mang0 busts out falcon for three wins and it's 3-2 EVO three peat finish

you heard it here first folks

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
And we'd have Mango PPMD Loser's finals in which they do Falco dittos, and they'd be the greatest Falco dittos of all time.

A man can dream, anyway.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
since i can't think of anything fun to do for the 5th tuesday of the month, we'll just do pm at 6pm and melee at 8pm tomorrow at the provo game den weekly.

smash 4 players, take this time to unlock your systems! last week had like only 1 fully unlocked system. in order to have your venue fee waived in the future, you must have all characters, all stages, all custom evo sets loaded, and be on the latest patch.

Top Bottom