• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, i just wanted to make sure everything was up to date with the ogden weeklies.... is it still in the shepard union building at weber?? Starting at 5:00 today?? I have 2 CRTs just sitting in my room that i might be able to bring...

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! I am one of the guys who runs the University of Utah weekly, which will be starting this semester. A lot of people have shown interest in the U of U weekly, and I want to be able to run it on the best possible day for everyone. If you are a U of U student and you plan on going to the weeklies, PLEASE fill out this straw poll as soon as possible so we can see what days are best for everyone. If you can go to the weekly any day of the week then please check every box on the survey so we can get an idea of how many people will be coming.

Thanks for helping us out and I'll be posting more info on the weekly soon!

http://strawpoll.me/5267893

Last edited:

StuBob

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! I am one of the guys who runs the University of Utah weekly, which will be starting this semester. A lot of people have shown interest in the U of U weekly, and I want to be able to run it on the best possible day for everyone. If you are a U of U student and you plan on going to the weeklies, PLEASE fill out this straw poll as soon as possible so we can see what days are best for everyone. If you can go to the weekly any day of the week then please check every box on the survey so we can get an idea of how many people will be coming.

Sounds fun! Do you guys need any setups?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7

Before I fill this out, I need to know what days @net1234 always works on!

PS: And am I allowed to check the "I'm not a robot" checkbox, when a handful of you call me that?

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Neumont was fun. Thanks for putting it on. Showed me a lot of flaws in my gameplay and my tourny play. Hopefully I'll get top 8 next time.

OkayP.

Smash Apprentice
Well me and Devon both got out of our pool at Apex and then had to play each other first round after pools in losers.

You're not going to win, everybody knows this. Nobody is getting worked up about anything. We see this scenario a lot... new kid comes into the scene thinking he's really good because he beats all his little brothers and cousins, calls out a veteran blah blah blah, gets bopped and then we never see them again.
allow me to make something clear. i dont have a little brother. or cousins. or really family at all. ok? keep my family out of this. for good.
don't think that i by any means, think im incredible. infact again i state, if pc doesnt beat me. this scene is dumb. but he will. so...
shuty shuty
perhaps, perhaps you can understand my pov differently. im not cocky im confident. and this game, and the kind of people in this thread are the only things i AM confident with. keep your teenage cliquing to yourselves please. id appreciate it, and in all reality, what does it help pickin on the little guy?
so that being said, all im saying, is let them eat cake.

PS: ugh srry i recognize i look like a scrub by not showing up, my parents... are not a fan of the idea of me with college age dudes. the are, nvm that. look ill be at my monthly SAM. any one who wants to do so,please mm there and please come and have a good time.

Last edited:

Kdog98

Smash Cadet
allow me to make something clear. i dont have a little brother. or cousins. or really family at all. ok? keep my family out of this. for good.
don't think that i by any means, think im incredible. infact again i state, if pc doesnt beat me. this scene is dumb. but he will. so...
shuty shuty
perhaps, perhaps you can understand my pov differently. im not cocky im confident. and this game, and the kind of people in this thread are the only things i AM confident with. keep your teenage cliquing to yourselves please. id appreciate it, and in all reality, what does it help pickin on the little guy?
so that being said, all im saying, is let them eat cake.
So why weren't you at Neumont if you're so confident?

OkayP.

Smash Apprentice
ugh srry i recognize i look like a scrub by not showing up, my parents... are not a fan of the idea of me with college age dudes. the are, nvm that. look ill be at my monthly SAM. any one who wants to do so,please mm there and please come and have a good time.

Kdog98

Smash Cadet
ugh srry i recognize i look like a scrub by not showing up, my parents... are not a fan of the idea of me with college age dudes. the are, nvm that. look ill be at my monthly SAM. any one who wants to do so,please mm there and please come and have a good time.
Aight just checking

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Where the hell is this coming from?

Mars was making a generalized statement based on what we've seen countless times. :/ Its not like he is saying your family is **** or something. You're reading into things really... oddly.

Have your parents meet Tsuteto.

Espurr's Eyes

Smash Cadet
Not to interrupt this great conversation but where are the Logan homies? I've seen/heard nothing about any activity in Logan, there has to be someone here...

Aeriden

Smash Apprentice
Not to interrupt this great conversation but where are the Logan homies? I've seen/heard nothing about any activity in Logan, there has to be someone here...
Common mistake, Logan is actually considered to be in a different scene. The shadow realm known as "Idaho"

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Neumont's on time 1/11
Klappa
We were only about 15-20 min late starting each event, including PM (our first event), in which I really didn't see anyone complaining about. If someone has issues with that small of a timeframe, then I feel a little sorry for your lack of patience.

as for results, here they are:
PM (17 entrants):
1st: Dark Pancake
2nd: Perfect Chaos
3rd: Zygo
4th: Fable
5th: X
RR Bowser
7th: Logos
Stami
9th: Razgriz
Keyblade
Gitty
13th: Walf
TSwift
Jacob
17th: Conker
Melee Dubs (13 Entrants):
1st: **** McGee

2nd: Spam B

3rd: Slash Fiction

4th: Peach's Story

5th: Milky Way Galaxy
The Young Dank

7th: Stee-EZ
Pineapple Express

9th: Tasty Shoelace
I am the Hype
Mighty Morphin Flower Rangers
That Team

13th: Beh Senpai
Melee Singles (41 entrants):
1st: Perfect Chaos

2nd: X

3rd: Fable

4th: Ladaman

5th: net1234
Logos

7th: Death Arcana
Dark Pancake

9th: Roguay
Staz
2Johns
LSP

13th: BillNyeTheSamusGuy
Kymira
Steam Fried Asian
Ammo

17th: Tsuteto
Hawaiian
Mars
Hatch Backward
Tealoop
RR Bowser
A4Foot1Giant
Slcc

25th: Endo
Jacob
Stami
GameFishBoy
Gitty
Mr. Zoram
Rage
Envity

33rd: Conker
Kdog
RR 5K
Marokazam
Guy
Kevin
Moon Nite
Xero
Jay
Wii U Doubles (15 Entrants):
1st: **** McGee

2nd: Dash Attack

3rd: Brozen

4th: Smash and Grab

5th: Milky Way Galaxy
Twinkle in My Eye

7th: Ultrasound
A Fable of Tsuteto Potato

9th: Neumont Owls
Mages Guild
Team RR
Squirtle Squad

13th: Electric Boogaloo
Eaze Money
Domination
Wii U Singles (58 Entrants):
1st: X

2nd: BestNess

3rd: Death Arcana

4th: Lada

5th: Staz
Mars

7th: Frost
Calculus

9th: Berd
Shamsy
Achet
Davi 7

13th: Fable
Stealthy
Double Nickles
Pyr

17th: Haz
Yep
Blackboy
Lange
Jacob
Rage
Smerky
GravitySlam

25th: Golden Ratio Boy
Tori
Stami
Lee
Alter Ego
Conker
Prism
EXPLODE

33rd: RR Bowser
Lewa
Frozen
BigK
Slcc
Xero
Cool Beans
Sona
Walf
Envity
Moon Nite
BXBXBX01
Jay
Ordinarystraw
Catfish
FPU

49th: Colus
Inu
bellsworth46
KRool
Doobs
Bad
Ekk0
K Dot
Skip
Brace W
Thank you all for coming and participating. As there will be no Smasher's Tale next month, I will be doing a Smash Jam at it's new home Kafineio's. Hope to see you all there!

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Right here. Which smash games do you play

Sproll

Smash Apprentice

So I can see the results so far, but when is a decision going to be made?

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
ur fault for choosing not do be born earlier

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Just talking about the track record bells :D
Sounds like this one went really well and was on time!

so one out of the past ten or eleven.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I'll mm you. When is this? And will it be streamed or recorded?

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I'd like to thank everyone for coming out to Neumont Smash Jam on Saturday. As always, great to have you all, and it was really entertaining with a number of the upsets that happened that day :)

To clear up one thing before it churns through the rumor mill: After the tournament finished, I have banned both Lada and X from my competitions. They have caused issues in the past, and after listening to them talking about colluding in the bathroom for tournament, that was the straw on the camel's back for me. This was a decision that I tried to be patient with for as long as possible. After hearing that half way through the day, I let them finish their tournament in peace, and then issued the ban to them.

With September coming up, there will also be a few changes. Please note below:

Weeklies: Starting next week, we will be going to a $5 venue, $5 entry structure. This brings us more in line with other weeklies through out, and will increase the overall competition with more on the line.

Wii U Stages: Stage list will be adjusted starting next week. The main change will be the ban of Delfino, Halberd, and Castle Siege. A full rule set will be presented on Monday next week.

Wii U Customs: To align with other major tourneys, we will no longer be using customs as the primary form of competition. Personally sad for them to not be present, but that does not mean they'll never be present. Potentially as a different tourney type down the road.

Smash Jams: The monthly tournament series will be seeing a venue increase to $10. The $5 entry will be the same. This is due to us moving the venue to Kafeneio's, which will allow a true monthly tournament to be had. We will aim for these to be on the fourth Saturday of each month, barring other major events/holidays.

Ultra Street Fighter 4: We will be including USF4 into the Wednesday weeklies and the Smash Jams. I'm not entirely sure as to how it's being handled as of yet, but I will find out. Full launch of this is, again, September. The system will be for the 360. The guys at 801 Utah FGC are awesome. If for some reason you have an issue, let either me, Bryce, or Shane know and we'll take care of it.

Wii U controllers: The only controllers to be allowed are the GameCube or a Wiimote conglomerate of sorts. The Gamepad is completely banned, as well as the Wii U Pro controller. The former has always been banned, and the latter is presenting far too many issues currently. I will ask you to change controllers if I see such. As for the 3DS, I'll allow it, but I will present a caution against it. At SLGC there were issues of it disconnecting in matches. If this were to happen, there is no choice but to give the victory of that match to your opponent. The 3DS will be banned in major tournaments as an FYI.

That is currently all. Thanks for patience in reading this post, and I'll see you all at the weeklies :)

Last edited:

Atticus_22

Smash Cadet
I saw $10 venue and $5 entry thinking it was backwards, actually got excited for a minute. Looks to be quite the contrary. Neumont was the best consistent venue we had. I respectfully disagree with this choice.

X getting banned I very much agree with though.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
The logistics of Neumont is a huge issue. We often don't get any more than a two weeks notice, have to get certain permissions to have a stream (which often we've had due to luck of draw), plus other minor businessy stuff. Kafeneio's fixes several issues and provides much more flexibility

2 Johns

Smash Rookie
Why the hell are we adding street fighter to a weekly that already is way too full with just smashers. Unless you plan on changing the venue I think this decision should be rethought.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I was interested in hearing about Street Fighter until I saw Xbox 360. Not surprised, but darn. Not gonna go buy another stick just for that. SFV is coming out soon. Too bad no one in Utah plays UNIEL

I'm back in Utah so I'll probably start coming back to these now. Probably tomorrow actually. Haven't been in a while.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I was interested in hearing about Street Fighter until I saw Xbox 360. Not surprised, but darn. Not gonna go buy another stick just for that. SFV is coming out soon. Too bad no one in Utah plays UNIEL
I'm back in Utah so I'll probably start coming back to these now. Probably tomorrow actually. Haven't been in a while.
You can borrow someone's stick, hardly anyone has a stick anyways

Tomacawk

Smash Master
FYI, the only Smash game with Pichu in it is Melee, so you're contradicting yourself. How can a game that has the best character ever possibly be overrated?
Pfft! You leave us, not post here for months, then magically come back acting like you're still part of our scene by using the pronoun "we" over and over... :p
my jersey's up on the raptors dog, that **** got retired, along with my shoes still hanging off the power lines near neumont

slc4lyfe

edit: is it raptors or rafters ... raptors is way doper... ah well

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Didn't realize that was the last neumont. Now I bad for joking about their lateness. Like I tried to **** with their legacy or something.

The venue fee:

Neumont was probably around 13 hours so 13*25 + 20 = 345.
58 people in wii u with a venue fee of 5$ = 290
unique melee entrants is probably something like 20, maybe more. 20*5 = 100
17 people for USF4 17*5 = 85
475$/345

maybe like 4 people to run everything? to pay them for 8 hours you would need another 240$.

IDK DUDES, just trying to figure out why the venue fee would go up.

Also having the weeklies be competitive isn't a priority for me. But I don't really care as I'm scheduled to work wednesdays now anyway.

Do most weeklies have some of the venue fee going to the organizer, like is that just how they do it or what.
Like I know our scene is different because of your investment in setups and stuff but it's only 50$ a month to get keys to the place.

And I know that every time I've gone I've wished there were more melee setups.

Did this guy ever end up doing anything? https://www.reddit.com/r/DC801/comments/2vbxlh/what_is_the_next_step/cohizgn I feel like I remember hearing that the 801 fgc was doing something in 801 as well, was that on a different day and adding USF4 is combining that into one day or what?

__

edit - I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to make a living

Last edited:
Top Bottom