• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 65240

Alright so I want to search the youtube channel, but my page doesn't look anything like the ones @SoapSuds and @ N nqztv showed me a few posts ago. Help?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTW8ZlOabh31ONGl2c7CtUQ/search?query=a+psychiatrist

change the query parameter if another url-encoded text string if you want to search for something else.

Or just remove it, and make your weekly post in the Utah smash page?
no one cares about consolidation in our scene. for a while, the hackerspace was advertising the salt lake city weekly on their calendar with a link to some other random utah smash facebook group :-p. people *say* they want to be part of the *community*, but most people actually just want to do their own thing :-p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8WSZSmzCP8&feature=youtu.be

Finally got around to posting some gameplay of my Sheik and I'm looking to get better!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated(but not dumb **** that's obvious) @ Perfect Chaos Perfect Chaos lookin' at you dude!!
you should probably post a video of you playing versus someone better than you. that will make your mistakes and bad tendencies more apparent. also, get more comfortable at the edge. you don't constantly need center stage control with sheik. at low tier city, when new2king was playing friendlies, you'd often see him go straight for the edge without regard to his opponent. then set up for a simple back throw off stage to put you in an edge guard situation which sheik excels at :-p.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTW8ZlOabh31ONGl2c7CtUQ/search?query=a psychiatrist

change the query parameter if another url-encoded text string if you want to search for something else.

no one cares about consolidation in our scene. for a while, the hackerspace was advertising the salt lake city weekly on their calendar with a link to some other random utah smash facebook group :-p. people *say* they want to be part of the *community*, but most people actually just want to do their own thing :-p.

you should probably post a video of you playing versus someone better than you. that will make your mistakes and bad tendencies more apparent. also, get more comfortable at the edge. you don't constantly need center stage control with sheik. at low tier city, when new2king was playing friendlies, you'd often see him go straight for the edge without regard to his opponent. then set up for a simple back throw off stage to put you in an edge guard situation which sheik excels at :-p.
Lol Wat? Stage Control is everything.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
ya, i'm seeing more than two videos of you as well. but even then, it's not like you've been to a lot of events ;-).

stage control is not necessarily center stage control. and i didn't say you shouldn't care about it, i said you don't constantly need to have it with sheik, which i stand by. you said you wanted non-obvious advice or else i would've said things like you need to get better at getting and using needles, or sheik has more tools than fair and dsmash :-p. in the video you linked, you constantly rolled towards center. you looked like you were uncomfortable at the edge by constantly trying to get away from it as much as possible, despite the fact that sheik is at her best at the edge :-p. you unsafely approached a marth at center stage when you didn't have to and got punished for it a couple times. if you disagree, then refute it and we can have a discussion :-p.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Let's talk about sportsmanship and conduct for a minute, shall we?

First and foremost - tl;dr version - Just stop being dickheads. Seriously. But there's post below because it's important, and if you're violating any of this from any point, there may be consequences for you at tournaments or weeklies. Scan through though, and if you feel a CAPSED point doesn't apply, just move on.

The way certain things have happened lately are rather, well, gross. We have all been guilty of such things. Needless to say, we REALLY need to see a stop in this. It's counter-productive in the long run, and makes us too much of a clique rather than a community with open invitations.

Do not get me wrong. I'm down for trash talking as much as the next person. But there's ways about it that are right, and ways that are wrong.

With that being said, here's some things I'm noticing, and if you feel like another point should be made, let me know and let's actually TALK about it (I know, I'm calling for a serious conversation for once).

TALK / TRASH TALK - You know what, if it's between you and another person, awesome, I don't care. If, however, you're talking to someone in a match and they are literally not reciprocating, STOP. If you're trash talking someone else on another's behalf, that is completely unacceptable. Feel free to CHEER for a person, but do NOT put another person's efforts or being down as a means of cheering. Can't help but talk during your match? Talk to yourself. Don't talk to someone else, don't answer your phone, give your attention to your opponent.

CONVERSATIONS - Hey, it's a social thing. Awesome. But just as there are certain ways to talk with certain people, there's also certain places to have conversations. Loud conversations next to people in tournament matches based on their play, or even in general, is usually a bad thing, as it can be distracting. Conversations near stream is also kind of a dumb idea, as you ARE NEXT TO THE STREAM (I'm surprised I honestly have to say this one). Watch where you're at, and if you must have a conversation around a match, talk quietly to people. With proper projection, people can hear you around you just normal, but not disturbing players.

STREAM - Already talked about conversations around stream, but another aspect is don't talk TO streamers aloud as well. Whisper to them (John and I do this constantly, unless we absolutely can't understand each other, which then we still try to move closer), right a note, or have them switch out if it's a long thing.

STREAMING - Straight up, your duty is to commentate on the match. Throw some theory out there maybe, or things coming up / how the scene is. What you had for a dinner and the stomach troubles it gives you would be an example of something NOT to talk about. John does a lot for the stream, and I'd like to see it be made of to its highest degree. Haven't commentated before? Try it! We'll tell you if it's not up to par and what you could do if you're really wanting to do it more. Sometimes, unfortunately, people just aren't up to snuff, but that shouldn't deter from an attempt. I'd like to see two smashers constantly, even if it means switching out match to match.

TARDINESS - I'm honestly getting sick and tired of the constant "hey I'm going to be there in 15 minutes can you put me in." It creates more work that could be avoided, and is disrespectful. Most of the time you guys can just plan better. There are very few instances that I find where it's a "passable" excuse (please note that does not mean I like it). Basically, BE ON TIME OR DON'T PLAN TO ENTER.

VENUE RESPECT - HOLY CRAP WHY DO I HAVE TO MENTION THIS PICK UP YOUR CRAP DAMNIT. No, really, there's trash cans available a plenty at both of the weeklies, and also the monthlies. Stop being pigs.

CHANGES - September will see some various changes happen. We are growing, becoming bigger, and we need to start having reasons for people coming out. As a start, weeklies starting in September will be $5 venue, $5 entry. This increases the pot size, makes payouts easier, and puts more value into your worth. Might I also note that this is the SAME THING THAT MAJOR SCENES DO.

EQUIPMENT - As we know, I provide equipment to the venues for my weeklies. As a general rule, don't touch them unless you're a consistent helper or you've been given permission (aside from the obvious plugging a controller in and out). If you bring your own set-up, it's your responsibility. Same thing with your controllers. We don't assume thievery, we assume lack of responsibility. That being said though, please be on the look out for shifty behavior for others. I also have to majorly trust you guys, and while I do, I will still remain wary ^^

OTHER GAMES - Simply put, respect them. Again, if you have ABSOLUTELY VALID REASONS to not like a particular game (e.g. wave dashing vs no wave dashing), then have an intelligent conversation about it. But just going into a room and saying "man this game's so dumb play a real game) is under the guise of trash talking and if done enough you WILL be reprimanded. No excuses. Respect other people's opinions.

Again, these are enforced immediately. I'll be lenient where I can, but I'll be harsh in the reminders. This has gone on for a long time. Ban hammer pending on if you for some reason can't shape up.

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Let's talk about sportsmanship and conduct for a minute, shall we?

First and foremost - tl;dr version - Just stop being dickheads. Seriously. But there's post below because it's important, and if you're violating any of this from any point, there may be consequences for you at tournaments or weeklies. Scan through though, and if you feel a CAPSED point doesn't apply, just move on.

The way certain things have happened lately are rather, well, gross. We have all been guilty of such things. Needless to say, we REALLY need to see a stop in this. It's counter-productive in the long run, and makes us too much of a clique rather than a community with open invitations.

Do not get me wrong. I'm down for trash talking as much as the next person. But there's ways about it that are right, and ways that are wrong.

With that being said, here's some things I'm noticing, and if you feel like another point should be made, let me know and let's actually TALK about it (I know, I'm calling for a serious conversation for once).

TALK / TRASH TALK - You know what, if it's between you and another person, awesome, I don't care. If, however, you're talking to someone in a match and they are literally not reciprocating, STOP. If you're trash talking someone else on another's behalf, that is completely unacceptable. Feel free to CHEER for a person, but do NOT put another person's efforts or being down as a means of cheering. Can't help but talk during your match? Talk to yourself. Don't talk to someone else, don't answer your phone, give your attention to your opponent.

CONVERSATIONS - Hey, it's a social thing. Awesome. But just as there are certain ways to talk with certain people, there's also certain places to have conversations. Loud conversations next to people in tournament matches based on their play, or even in general, is usually a bad thing, as it can be distracting. Conversations near stream is also kind of a dumb idea, as you ARE NEXT TO THE STREAM (I'm surprised I honestly have to say this one). Watch where you're at, and if you must have a conversation around a match, talk quietly to people. With proper projection, people can hear you around you just normal, but not disturbing players.

STREAM - Already talked about conversations around stream, but another aspect is don't talk TO streamers aloud as well. Whisper to them (John and I do this constantly, unless we absolutely can't understand each other, which then we still try to move closer), right a note, or have them switch out if it's a long thing.

STREAMING - Straight up, your duty is to commentate on the match. Throw some theory out there maybe, or things coming up / how the scene is. What you had for a dinner and the stomach troubles it gives you would be an example of something NOT to talk about. John does a lot for the stream, and I'd like to see it be made of to its highest degree. Haven't commentated before? Try it! We'll tell you if it's not up to par and what you could do if you're really wanting to do it more. Sometimes, unfortunately, people just aren't up to snuff, but that shouldn't deter from an attempt. I'd like to see two smashers constantly, even if it means switching out match to match.

TARDINESS - I'm honestly getting sick and tired of the constant "hey I'm going to be there in 15 minutes can you put me in." It creates more work that could be avoided, and is disrespectful. Most of the time you guys can just plan better. There are very few instances that I find where it's a "passable" excuse (please note that does not mean I like it). Basically, BE ON TIME OR DON'T PLAN TO ENTER.

VENUE RESPECT - HOLY CRAP WHY DO I HAVE TO MENTION THIS PICK UP YOUR CRAP DAMNIT. No, really, there's trash cans available a plenty at both of the weeklies, and also the monthlies. Stop being pigs.

CHANGES - September will see some various changes happen. We are growing, becoming bigger, and we need to start having reasons for people coming out. As a start, weeklies starting in September will be $5 venue, $5 entry. This increases the pot size, makes payouts easier, and puts more value into your worth. Might I also note that this is the SAME THING THAT MAJOR SCENES DO.

Again, these are enforced immediately. I'll be lenient where I can, but I'll be harsh in the reminders. This has gone on for a long time. Ban hammer pending on if you for some reason can't shape up.
I have one response to this. @ SteamFriedAsian SteamFriedAsian is still free.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Added a point:

EQUIPMENT - As we know, I provide equipment to the venues for my weeklies. As a general rule, don't touch them unless you're a consistent helper or you've been given permission (aside from the obvious plugging a controller in and out). If you bring your own set-up, it's your responsibility. Same thing with your controllers. We don't assume thievery, we assume lack of responsibility. That being said though, please be on the look out for shifty behavior for others. I also have to majorly trust you guys, and while I do, I will still remain wary ^^

Clarified more on the topic streaming:

STREAMING - Also, do NOT insult the players EVER on stream. You can comment why you felt that was a bad choice, or how the match up might be bad about them, but saying "Man this Peach's down smash is dumb" is not beneficial. Explain why you felt it wasn't a good option at that moment.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Boiling down any part of the meta to a simple definitive statement is pretty weak. That and the fact you literally asked for advice and balked when you got it.

That being said: going to ledge as sheik is a way stronger option than most characters going to ledge and I can understand the argument that its a viable option even from neutral--- although I don't know enough to confirm that its the strongest option.

Like what can your opponent do? If you do your shiek stuff well their only option against you is to take ledge against the stall--- and its not like that's your only option.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
you unsafely approached a marth at center stage when you didn't have to and got punished for it a couple times
If I were to comment on one thing, it would be this. You seem to do a lot of unnecessary movements, jumping into Marth's range at unfavorable angles for you, and the like.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
"unnecessary movement" it's all necessary that's how I chose to play my character. Yes it may not look like much "now" but that's because I'm still working out the quirks.

In response to the center stage debacle, I question it because in my mindset if you don't have center stage you aren't winning.
So! with that being said. The advice was noted but it's something I already knew.
My edge game is lacking, but i'm not uncomfortable.

Thanks for all who gave "helpful info." Peace!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
New point

OTHER GAMES - Simply put, respect them. Again, if you have ABSOLUTELY VALID REASONS to not like a particular game (e.g. wave dashing vs no wave dashing), then have an intelligent conversation about it. But just going into a room and saying "man this game's so dumb play a real game) is under the guise of trash talking and if done enough you WILL be reprimanded. No excuses. Respect other people's opinions.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Support, with all due respect, I don't know why the hell you've basically gone from initially aiming to do what you can for your scene, to effectively being just another person that I could care less about. Two thoughts:

1) When people give you suggestions, take them. Saying "well that's just not my style of play" is literally the opposite of searching for help. You want your style of play? Go play yourself then and figure out **** yourself. You want to actually maybe improve at the game for once? Then take some suggestions and start learning to adjust.

2) Cut the **** posting. Nobody gives a damn, and I will have no qualms in barring you from tournament play in the area.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
My good sir, my post are not putrid filth.

Seeing as I acknowledged the advice, and took them into consideration all the while saying that this is how I want to play my character, I'm working around what I have been told.

Also don't take my sincerity as me being an asshole. I meant thanks and that's all!

With all due respect, banning someone for messing around about Hoo-Haa is a little over top. If you must know I do dabble occasionally in the 4th installment of The Smashing of Brothers.:yeahboi::pow::yeahboi::pow::yeahboi:

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
There's being human, and then there's being a civilized adult. You're far from the latter, I'd suggest learning. My statement still stands.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
I'd like to know Timothy, what makes me a uncivilized adult?
Please educate me, because I'd like to think I am, but maybe my ignorance shrouds my judgement.

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I'd like to know Timothy, what makes me a uncivilized adult?
Please educate me, because I'd like to think I am, but maybe my ignorance shrouds my judgement.
You act like you want things to change, but have shown that you just want to whine about things to have your way, having completely ignored people's comments that have CLEARLY shown a higher understanding of concepts than you. Like just now, PC and nqztv both explaining to you things that could directly improve your playing experience, and your direct denial because you can't work through your head as to how to actually play the game, thus will continually lose. And also in regards to power rankings, where your feeble attempts at giving "advice" to the scene were shown how incorrect, and even when asked directly as to what you were referring to, instead of showing where there may have been missed communications. Why? Oh yeah, because you don't have a point.

Your capability in helping out has proven limited. I legitimately cannot think of a time where you've benefited anything since starting the scene and Terrance took over. Granted, I'm not up in the Ogden area, so I'm not entirely sure. But, nonetheless, for my concerns I saw enough in that sense.

And moments like this, where despite whatever can be shown to prove a point, you'll ignore. Why? Because you can't help but not to better yourself. Sadly, that's the biggest thing I've noticed. That's what ignorance truly comes down. Get uncomfortable. Others will be a better judge of your playing than you ever will. Get used to it, or I'd stop while you can.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Don't get me wrong. I state things because I still care about ya bro. Keep getting better, but don't ever get ahead of yourself.

In other news, new point:

HYGIENE - Shower. Most basic of things. Magical device called soap that needs to be used too. Let's face it though, some people have that natural musk that may be too good for others understanding. Bring yourselves down to our level with some cologne/perfume or something. If you smoke, bring a smoking jacket. You may be super chill, but if I can smell ya, I'll expel ya.

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Asking someone for advice (someone more knowledgeable than you especially) and then saying "no, that's not it" or "well that's just how I play" is beyond annoying. It's also a great way to make sure no one has any interest in helping you out in the future.

I was a coach for years, and when someone asked me for advice and decided that it wasn't right for them, or disregarded it, it was so damn frustrating. If it happened more than a few times, I would just tell them that they can go find a coach to validate their poor play, because that's clearly what they actually want. I'm not going to help someone unwilling to receive it. Unless they were paying me, then I'd just deal with it and hate them deep down.

This post is not directed at anyone specifically. More people should post their matches and ask for advice.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Asking someone for advice (someone more knowledgeable than you especially) and then saying "no, that's not it" or "well that's just how I play" is beyond annoying. It's also a great way to make sure no one has any interest in helping you out in the future.

I was a coach for years, and when someone asked me for advice and decided that it wasn't right for them, or disregarded it, it was so damn frustrating. If it happened more than a few times, I would just tell them that they can go find a coach to validate their poor play, because that's clearly what they actually want. I'm not going to help someone unwilling to receive it. Unless they were paying me, then I'd just deal with it and hate them deep down.

This post is not directed at anyone specifically. More people should post their matches and ask for advice.
Can I get advice on how I can more thoroughly disrespect my friend in random fun matches? Thanks in advance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGAG6IVVo94

Top Bottom