• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upcoming 1.0.4 Balance Patch in November!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So this time Sakurai directly says there will be balance changes with the upcoming November patch, 1.0.4. This is clearly and unequivocally said here so this isn't a false alarm like the 1.0.3 patch.

Sakurai Tweeted this:
"We are planning to release the next patch (Ver. 1.0.4) within the month.

This patch will adjust the game balance by refining the strengths of some fighters. It also includes various other gameplay fixes.

[NOTICES]

-Local Wireless will not work if a player who has updated to 1.0.4 tries to battle a player with an older version.

-Receiving patch 1.0.4 will disable playback of replays saved using older versions.

-This patch is required for online play.

When the patch is released, I will sticky a new "Community Patch Notes 1.0.4" thread because Nintendo likely won't give us real patch notes.

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
From people who played smash 4 wii u at the hollywood release most things seemed the same, but they did take out
a) rush cancelling
b) item cancelling (link, toon link, peach)
c) something about greninja side b
d) some yoshi glitch stuff maybe? (speculative)

those are the only known differences but I expect the patch will match what changes are on the wii U. Theres speculation that other hitstun cancels will be out.

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Well, thats kind of what I was afraid of. Taking out good AND bad bugs indiscriminately... Sucks since some of them are nice.

I just hope they buff Shulk and BJr. Maybe even DHD.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Please fix Ganondorf's T-Rex arms and bring back Thunderstorming.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I have a feeling the changes will be minor like the ones I mentioned, at least for now. But could be wrong, even about the changes listed.

TBH Im glad rush cancelling is gone and ok with item cancelling being gone since it seemed a liiiiiiittle too good for peach (RIP TL/Link). Guess its good yoshis teleport glitch is gone and dont know greninjas thing to know whether to be sad or not.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
"Refining strengths" sounds like low tier buffs rather than high tier nerfs. Characters that are getting wrecked in For Glory will probably get the bulk of the buffs.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I feel like one of the main problems this game will face is constant balance changes.

Fighting games take a while to settle, and to balance it every few months is much too soon. Nobody will have a grasp of how things actually play out yet, but the ground will shift out from under them anyway.

P:M had the same problem in its development, but that was being balanced critically by a team of smashers, and even then they learned their lesson. Smash 4 has a lot of room for error here, especially considering the balancing is being done by their amateurish (competitive ability wise) team.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
In my dreams Doctor Mario's run speed has been matched to Luigi's. I guess we'll see when the game comes out. I don't care how early of a patch it is, Doctor Mario kind of can't afford to run slower than Dedede and have Mario's normals to an extent.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Removal of all janky, unintuitive inputs and quirky behavior is good--regardless of whether it helps or hurts a character you play.

That's not what the game should be about, unless you want your game to be a secret and insular kool kids clubhouse.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
I think the patch will be the changes that appear to have had happened in the WiiU version

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Removal of all janky, unintuitive inputs and quirky behavior is good--regardless of whether it helps or hurts a character you play.

That's not what the game should be about, unless you want your game to be a secret and insular kool kids clubhouse.
Not to ride on sirlin but he did a really good podcast about this recently, made a lot of sense.

I feel like one of the main problems this game will face is constant balance changes....
Yeah thats why Im hoping more for minor changes and mostly to things like glitches rather then significant balance changes. I wont be too bothered if not though.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord

I agree, but DACUS tho.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Apparently the respawn time for Luma has been increased in the Wii U version?

If true this will be a straight up nerf that has nothing to do with bugs, which is interesting.

Last edited:

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Seeing what happened at the Smash Bros Champion ship thing nintendo hosted, Rosilina might probably will get a nerf

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
This makes me sad. :( I hope that Sakurai doesn't release a bull**** balance patch every few weeks for the entire time this game is out. I haven't seen what the changes are for this though, so I can't really say that with any factual base. But judging by the differences between Brawl and 4 (MK getting ultra-nerfed, chain grabs -which I know isn't all that bad to get taken out-, edge-hogging, etc.) I could see him going ham on updates and taking out everything that people whine about as being "gay". :( I just hope these changes aren't all that drastic, and that there aren't ATs getting taken out.

"Refining strengths" sounds like low tier buffs rather than high tier nerfs. Characters that are getting wrecked in For Glory will probably get the bulk of the buffs.
I actually completely disagree, I think that means that they're going to slightly nerf all of the overused chars' strengths.

Last edited:
Reduce invincibility on Mac and Rollsalina's rolls, or just rolls in general so that their speed is justified by the amount of vulnerability you gain. Remove air dodge canceling so it's punishable. Give more invince frameson characters with the slowest rolls and don't have Lagless instant punishes out of them (Samus).

If these things happen ill gladly accept the removal of shadow sneak cancel, Greninja is still good without it it. Glad they removed Megamans bull**** rush cancel.

BSP

Smash Legend
Reduce invincibility on Mac and Rollsalina's rolls, or just rolls in general so that their speed is justified by the amount of vulnerability you gain. Remove air dodge canceling so it's punishable. Give more invince frameson characters with the slowest rolls and don't have Lagless instant punishes out of them (Samus).

If these things happen ill gladly accept the removal of shadow sneak cancel, Greninja is still good without it it. Glad they removed Megamans bull**** rush cancel.
How about slow down all of the quick rolls in general?

It shouldn't be difficult to punish someone for rolling when you know they're going to roll. Half the time, I'm scared to throw out my attack.

It won't happen, but I would love an aura nerf and removal of Lil Mac charging KO punch for getting hit. Mario needs dmg increases across the board.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It won't happen, but I would love an aura nerf and removal of Lil Mac charging KO punch for getting hit. Mario needs dmg increases across the board.
Well now if we did that you'd have to up Dr. Mario's damage again and that's a bit of a scary thought. (I don't disagree though =P)

I doubt any of the changes are really big atm, just glitch fixes and RosaLuma right now, anyways. I'd like a pleasant surprise with Doc though so I can't wait to pick up WiiU.

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Anti beat Dabuz, Ally, and Nakat 5 games straight in a round robin with Mario, buffing mario is the last thing we need lol. At the very least its premature.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
It was just wifi friendlies on FB. Ally's statuses are hilarious so I check them out.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I think it's definitely way too early for balance changes. Every time someone says X character sucks someone shows up and bodies everyone with them (Zelda, Charizard, Miis, etc.). Part of the reason why Shiek and co are so high is because they're so much easier to do well with on the 3DS.

I hope Nintendo just focuses on bug fixes and then sees where the game goes from there on the Wii U. I have no problems with the slight Luma respawn nerf though :p

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I think it's definitely way too early for balance changes. Every time someone says X character sucks someone shows up and bodies everyone with them (Zelda, Charizard, Miis, etc.). Part of the reason why Shiek and co are so high is because they're so much easier to do well with on the 3DS.

I hope Nintendo just focuses on bug fixes and then sees where the game goes from there on the Wii U. I have no problems with the slight Luma respawn nerf though :p
While bug fixes are good, but there are a few obvious changes that wouldn't hurt.

For example: Wii Fit trainer's Jab 1 needs its hitbox adjusted so standing short characters like Kirby can't avoid it by STANDING STILL AND DOING NOTHING.

A few characters don't have strong enough air moves to justify the gross amount of landing lag they suffer too. G&W really comes to mind here. The landing lag on his air moves is horrendous for how little they really do. If I can short hop back air with bowser and time it right to have regular land lag, G&W either needs a big damage buff, knock back buff, or reduced lag on his attacks. I'm sure there are others, but G&W is a very obvious example.

The other alternative is making shielding and rolling less safe across the board, and I think everyone but the most extreme of cowardly camper play styles would be grateful. Seriously, trying to punish someone doing nothing but rolling across the stage with a slow as molasses character like Ganon is the most frustrating thing I've ever tried to do.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm hearing that Rosalina is going to get nerfed for this patch. Right now, it takes about 8.75 seconds for a new Luma to spawn, but based on this Wii U video, the time that it takes for a new Luma to appear will be increasing to about 12.55 seconds; that's like 3.8 seconds longer than before.

This doesn't bode well for Rosalina.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I have a feeling the changes will be minor like the ones I mentioned, at least for now. But could be wrong, even about the changes listed.

TBH Im glad rush cancelling is gone and ok with item cancelling being gone since it seemed a liiiiiiittle too good for peach (RIP TL/Link). Guess its good yoshis teleport glitch is gone and dont know greninjas thing to know whether to be sad or not.
Link will be just fine without toss canceling. He still has a ton of other tools even without it. I'll still miss it though and it definitely came in handy. Not sure how Tink will do without it though.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Buff Luigi's KO and recovery back to Brawl please, keep everything else the same. Then I'm set.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Luigi's recovery is fine with customs. Side B3 goes farther and Down B2 pretty much goes as high as Brawl's tornado.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'm hearing that Rosalina is going to get nerfed for this patch. Right now, it takes about 8.75 seconds for a new Luma to spawn, but based on this Wii U video, the time that it takes for a new Luma to appear will be increasing to about 12.55 seconds; that's like 3.8 seconds longer than before.

This doesn't bode well for Rosalina.
It looks like Mega Man received a buff on the Cut Man Stage video by the same guy. Go to 0:21 and look at that U-Air, :awesome:. Can't tell if it's supposed to compensate for a nerf he receives, or if he's just getting outrighted buffed. I can't actually tell if it's a buff at all, maybe the hitbox is identical despite appearing larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom