• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up B Shorten?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
If you up b on Yoshi Story you will land on the platform. If you smash down as soon as you up B you will not land. What???

I had no idea you could shorten the up b. This is actually useful for using the parasol agressviely. You don't have to go through the landing lag frames

Thoughts? Explanations?

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
You also won't land on the top platform if you do a horizontal parasol (input hard right/left right after up b). Holding down after parasol could've been an interesting way to help with sweet spotting edges if it didn't just kill you instead.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
XD That made me so happy!!! I thought I was the only one who used parasol like that :3 My friend calls me Mary-poppins-off. Aggressive parasol is actually pretty good. I was getting Axe with it in friendlies once. Spread the parasol love man!

TrashWizard

Smash Cadet
NNID
n1nj4t2
If you up b on Yoshi Story you will land on the platform. If you smash down as soon as you up B you will not land. What???

I had no idea you could shorten the up b. This is actually useful for using the parasol agressviely. You don't have to go through the landing lag frames

Thoughts? Explanations?
Likely due to the same reason that when you jump through any platform and hold down you go through it, the engine is built like this, a similar effect can be achieved by jumping through the platform and holding down. I didnt realise that this wasnt common knowledge, am I missing something here?

The videos in this thread just look like someone is using up b to cover platforms, before using the down analog input to phase back through the platform, not by any means shortening it.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Those gifs have nothing to do with shortening. And yes, you can shorten the up b. You mash down way before you are in any position to go into free fall. If you mash down, the height is slightly yes. It makes enough difference that if you do a regular up b you will land on the top platform of Yoshi's but if you shorten it you can fall back to the ground.

waifu

Smash Rookie
You aren't shortening the up-b. You are buffering a fast fall (not sure if I'm phrasing that right). But basically you are still getting the same height out of her up-b but then you instantly fast fall through the platform. If you want verification, try fast falling as soon as her up-b reaches maximum height, you will fall through the platform still. Also compare the heights of her feet with both methods and you will see that even if you hold down after you input up-b, you still rise the same height. Let me know if any of that was confusing and I will try to put it in clearer terms.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Noooo - _ - Have any of you tried this?! This is an actual thing. You don't even have to go into fast fall to not land on the platform. And peach can definetly change the height she goes by changing the angle of her up b. Let me get some exact inputs. It might be holding side ways instead of down. That might be what I am saying wrong about this. That is probably the confusion.

Yeah, it is holding left or right instead of down. It changes the angle and slightly reduces the height traveled.

Last edited:

TrashWizard

Smash Cadet
NNID
n1nj4t2
Noooo - _ - Have any of you tried this?! This is an actual thing. You don't even have to go into fast fall to not land on the platform. And peach can definetly change the height she goes by changing the angle of her up b. Let me get some exact inputs. It might be holding side ways instead of down. That might be what I am saying wrong about this. That is probably the confusion.
I never denied the effect of holding left or right reducing the height of the umbrella, the inputs you gave made it seem like I was missing something, and I was, you actually said in your first post, that you have to smash down, which I tried, and it did not make any difference, quit shifting the goalposts here, does smashing down when you up b shorten it? No. It doesnt. Does smashing left or right change height and angle? Yes it does. The whole point of this thread was to tell us about a 'new' tech that is already widely known.

I had no idea you could shorten the up b. This is actually useful for using the parasol agressviely
If you want to make a thread about this technique and its uses, just call it something like 'Angled Up B usage discussion' rather than 'Up B shorten?', or, even better, go on this peach thread.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
XD The point of this thread was to ask a question about something I was unsure about and did not know about then people started using it for all sorts of random things. How could I have made it Angled Up B Discussion if I did not know that's what it was when I made the thread? >_> And sorry for being confused on the inputs, this is not exactly something I use in everyday play 0.0 This thread has all the information in it for someone to use the technique effectively, I don't think it needs to stay open longer

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit

Yeah, it is holding left or right instead of down. It changes the angle and slightly reduces the height traveled.
this post slipped by me somehow. i was never sure what caused her to not land on top plat of ys before!
so you just upb holding straight 'up', then hold left/right as she is rising?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Yes, that is the plactical application. Up b out of shield and if you don't do this you are likely to experience a ton of frames of landing lag on Yoshi's story.

Top Bottom