• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unused Animations For Custom Moves Found!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It seems that for Smash 4 it was once planned for each character to have four customs moves! Someone has hacked into the game and shown that incomplete animations of every character's 4th customs move exists on the disc. The videos below document what these moves look like.

Mario's moves are the only ones to have hitboxes implying they were the furthest developed. Many of the moves seem to have very unique properties, some very wacky compared to the others. It will be fun to speculate what all of them may have done, and why they were not completed during development.

SmashCapps found these videos all very interesting to watch. To keep up with all of his articles or to tell him your favorite custom move, go follow him on twitter and start a conversation!

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has already said in an interview that he originally intended for there to be 4 customs and that they were cut down to 3 because customs moves take a lot of resources to create. Cool nonetheless.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I really wish that there had been 4 Custom moves, but 3 is fine.

Meta Knight's down B looks really interesting.

So does Luigi's

INFINITE FIRE HYDRANT.
Pac-man is weird.

I wonder what other Robot master weapons they would have used for Megaman.
Maybe the rolling cutter? Perhaps the triple blade.
Maybe even Item 1.

Erm. Palutena? You alright?

Whoa, Pikachu has a weird up B. It's very floaty.

Sonic's side B is weird.

"Mario's moves are the only ones that have hit boxes" Dr. Mario has one on his cape.
Also, Dr. Mario with Luigi's sliding tornado and Jump Height? WANT, no wait... NEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Apparently looking at Wario makes Ness really angry. He just shakes in fury, and then crashes the game.
And his down b is... The same?

What was with WFT's Up b?

CALL AN AMBULANCE, FOX IS HAVIN A SEIZURE.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Interesting. Although, I wonder how the game would have fared with 4 custom move sets. It'd probably change nothing to the metagame, but who knows.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Welp, DLC time.
I doubt it. If it took up a lot of resources when the game was being made, it'll still be a pain to do for every character and I doubt they'll be able to do it as DLC. I might be wrong, but we'll see.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I find it odd that bowser jr's clown car stays in the ground and does not make any noise when he uses the side b yet wario's does.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
SInce they managed to look this deep in the game.... I wonder if they can find any data on Ice Climbers since Sakurai confirmed they worked fine in the game

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
These are pretty odd but fun to mess around with. The only tournament viable set looks like alll of Diddy's

Glottis

Smash Cadet
Kinda hard to get an impression on most of them since they are so unfinnished. Most of them just look like the standard specials without graphical effects and hitboxes. Cool find though.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Oh look! Something unused in the files! That TOTALLY means future DLC!

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
A lot of the weird momentum/ground sticking/sliding properties on these moves (like Luigi's down special) simply look like unfinished air/ground state changes like you'd see in bad Brawl Vault PSAs, not intentional properties. Probably because the attacks were abandoned very early on, so their coding isn't even fully implemented.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but the finished moves likely would've been VERY different from what is seen here. (Even the ones that aren't obviously busted.)

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Honestly I wouldn't mind paying for extra moves, but I'm probably in the minority there.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mega Man could've have even more moves from his games? Kinda disappointing that these got cut. I'd love to see maybe Triple Blade, Magnet Missile, Jewel Satellite, and **** like that.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Invisible jetpacks?! Invisible bananas?! Nerf the non existent custom Diddy already Sakurai!

better than thunder banana

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I don't even bother with the custom move set's, most tournaments don't allow them anyway

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
So Mario was gonna have an Ice Ball move too, huh? Guess they decided to only let Luigi have it when they cut it down.

Luigi's unused down B would have been the best custom special in the game if it would also have been able to hit people. Then again, it's possibly like that due to wonky unfinished properties.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Wait... Sonic had an unused spinball animation?

Classic Sonic alt confirmed intentional. :p

Seriously though, why isn't that a thing?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I am glad they cut that Ike Up B variation - that looks to be the most pointless of them. Who wants a FLOATY Aether?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm more curious about how this guy hacked Smash U. I'd love a fan-balanced Smash U like SDR and Balanced Brawl myself. And NOT a Project M equivalent.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I'm more curious about how this guy hacked Smash U. I'd love a fan-balanced Smash U like SDR and Balanced Brawl myself. And NOT a Project M equivalent.
I agree with him and wondered the same thing. We cannot expect such Wii U hacks to go widespread soon because only a few people managed to bypass the security features.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I agree with him and wondered the same thing. We cannot expect such Wii U hacks to go widespread soon because only a few people managed to bypass the security features.
The Mario Kart 8 hackers only managed to hack the Wii U by using an outdated firmware. This hacker may have done the same. So yeah, it's not going to be widespread.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Whoa cool, wavedashing almost confirmed guys!
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Having 100+ more of these to unlock and hope that the RNG doesn't give out duplicates? No, I'm glad these were cut.

Top Bottom